Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Reaction Score
I really think the PAC-12 is going to be a fantastic league this season. I believe PAC-12 will have a Final 4 representative. Re: OSU, I haven't been this excited for OSU WBB since the season with Pivec, Tudor, Goodman, Gulich, etc. Beers is a monster, and continues to improve. Timea Gardiner is at full strength, and going to a problem for every defense. Our guard play is going to be much improved both offensively and defensively. OSU is very long and athletic at the guard position. And let's not forget TvO, who is now also at full strength. I am anticipating a team that is going to push the ball far more frequently after a defensive rebound because team speed is much improved. You will also see a freshmen on this team who will impress (meaning make the PAC-12 freshman WBB Team).
Re: " You will also see a freshmen on this team who will impress (meaning make the PAC-12 freshman WBB Team)." https://x.com/_ashtynne/status/1731735248499843283?s=20

Reaction Score
Well, he will get some grace for landing Sabrina and that super squad before COVID.
And it's not like he's had a losing season since that team.
Unfortunately for him the trajectory is tragic right now. He really let bullies like Sedona P ruin his team. Everyone that left has flat out been mocked the program since and has enjoyed stomping them in games. Embarrassing really.

He needs to thank his prayers that some of those top 25s are enjoying their time in eugene outside of basketball. Because if they start leaving too, he might as well forfeit the season.
Graves is the toxic coach on the team. Just waiting things out to retirement. Has a caustic attitude that gets him no where.

Reaction Score
Graves is the toxic coach on the team. Just waiting things out to retirement. Has a caustic attitude that gets him no where.
Not sure where you get this toxic stuff. Every interview I have seen (dozens) Graves has been affable and positive.
As a team the Ducks definitely have some growing pains. But playing Gray, Bell, VanSlooten, Rambus, and Kyei/Basham at #5 there have been signs of cohesion. The toughness and leadership is still absent and will have to develop on the floor organically. It may or may not. I do expect the next 6 oc games to be wins.
That would put them at 10-3 going into conference where they would need to win 6 (of 18) to finish over .500. Likely the high water mark this year.

Reaction Score
Love that Alissa Pili dropped 31 tonight. I hope she's super aggressive the rest of the year and stays out of foul trouble
Just hoping she is off her game Sunday against SCar.

Should be interesting to see how she matches up with Cardosa and our forwards. Both teams are facing ( probably) their last challenge of their pre-conference schedules. NET # 1 vs NET #4

Not that the conference needs it but a Utah win would solidify the PAC as the clear number 1 conference this year.

I know Kneepkins is out. Palmer was having some physical issues. Is she expected to play Sunday?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly, a loss wouldn't be the worst thing for this SCar team.

It's coming a little easy and the team seems a little too loose in comparison to past years.

Reaction Score
Honestly, a loss wouldn't be the worst thing for this SCar team.

It's coming a little easy and the team seems a little too loose in comparison to past years.

Do you think it may have something to do with leadership? The team had the likes of Boston, Cooke, Beal and Amihere to look to. Could it be a matter of shoes that have yet to be filled in that aspect?

Reaction Score
Do you think it may have something to do with leadership? The team had the likes of Boston, Cooke, Beal and Amihere to look to. Could it be a matter of shoes that have yet to be filled in that aspect?
Well, the leaders of this team are(1) redshirt sophomore Raven Johnson and (2) senior former backup center Kamilla Cordoso. Neither were full time stater last year. Bree Hall is a junior who is starting for the first time this year but has significant experience as backup to Beale. Poa Poa is experienced but new to the program

Raven is the leader with a half year’s starting experience. All the new players and Dawn look to her for leadership. Although Fulwiley slips out of the system sometimes, Raven seems to keep them from drifting too far.

A regular season loss or two should never hurt any team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I caught the tail end of the Gonzaga-Cal game last night on the Pac-12 Network (which I wasn't sure still existed).

It was quite ironic and eerie that immediately after the game, the network showed a program that was nothing but rah-rah braggadocio about how great the "conference of champions" is, has always been, and will continue to be (gulp) in the future ...

The program seemed to be two or three years old, so it felt a bit like watching clips of Enron executives living the high life just before the company imploded.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Time for Graves to go. The cries are growing louder and the season has not even started. When you say your team lacks fundamentals in the game afterwards then who is to blame "I have got to start coaching better" Buy him a donut shop and tell him to go away"
Graves parlayed his 2019-2020 (Sabrina, Satou, Ruthie, Erin Boley, Minyon Moore, et al) team's
30-2 record` into a contract extension to 2028-2029. Seems quite unlikely that Oregon will want to pay that obligation for 5 years. Getting Mark Campbell back a couple of years down the road may be doable after a negotiated settlement with Graves though. Just hope this season doesn't discourage the current Frosh and Sophs into the Portal and/or kill recruiting.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Grave parlayed his 2019-2020 (Sabrina, Satou, Ruthie, Erin Boley, Minyon Moore, et al) team's
30-2 record` into a contract extension to 2028-2029. Seems quite unlikely that Oregon will want to pay that obligation for 5 years. Getting Mark Campbell back a couple of years down the road may be doable after a negotiated settlement with Graves though. Just hope this season doesn't discourage the current Frosh and Sophs into the Portal and/or kill recruiting.
If he has another season or two like the past few, I could see Oregon pulling a Minnie/Lindsay Whalen and relocating him to a senior athletic department position as a graceful exit. (Though if memory serves, Whalen ultimately departed soon thereafter.) Graves is not young and I think he's got a great personality and could probably do at least as much good training and mentoring student-athletes in a less hands-on way.

Now time for the probing question: would Campbell want leave TCU for Oregon if he can recruit frosh as well as he has transfers from the portal? Does he have PNW ties? If the Pac-12 hadn't blown up, I could make the case that Oregon is a clear step up from TCU. But at this point, I'm not sure I'd gamble on trying to man a new roster from scratch until Oregon has settled into its new conference for a few years and ironed out the inevitable playing/travel/budgetary bumps.

Reaction Score
Now time for the probing question: would Campbell want leave TCU for Oregon if he can recruit frosh as well as he has transfers from the portal?

Very hard to turn down the BiG. Especially vs a private B12 school.

Reaction Score
I caught the tail end of the Gonzaga-Cal game last night on the Pac-12 Network (which I wasn't sure still existed).

It was quite ironic and eerie that immediately after the game, the network showed a program that was nothing but rah-rah braggadocio about how great the "conference of champions" is, has always been, and will continue to be (gulp) in the future ...

The program seemed to be two or three years old, so it felt a bit like watching clips of Enron executives living the high life just before the company. imploded.
Well the Network failure was a huge contributor to the collapse of the conference. Executives living the highlife? Have there been any recent disclosures about the missing millions of payments? Are the departing schools just dropping the issue? Are the cougar/beavers gonna let it drop? Any state law enforcement investigations ongoing?

Update us here in the non-West

Reaction Score
IMG_0633.jpeg

You know what they say, where there’s smoke, there’s fire

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well the Network failure was a huge contributor to the collapse of the conference. Executives living the highlife? Have there been any recent disclosures about the missing millions of payments? Are the departing schools just dropping the issue? Are the cougar/beavers gonna let it drop? Any state law enforcement investigations ongoing?

Update us here in the non-West
OK you lost me? Missing payments? The PAC owes Comcast millions for overpayments, and this issue is part of the background to the Cougars and Beavers not allowing distribution of revenue to the schools, because they want funds in the coffers for the conference's liabilities which are the Comcast mess and possible legal penalties in the upcoming NCAA / players cases.

Reaction Score
Aside from the big departure how are AZ fans feeling about their team after last night. Texas is obviously a really good team and after the first quarter it seemed like they were in control. Adia seems somewhat confident in the team in the post game presser. They kinda seem like they don't quite have an identity. I like their roster but I'm interested to see how they do in Pac 12 play. Obviously the conference is really good this year. I'm wondering if you think they'll have losses in the teens (respectfully) or double figure losses in conference

Reaction Score
OK you lost me? Missing payments? The PAC owes Comcast millions for overpayments, and this issue is part of the background to the Cougars and Beavers not allowing distribution of revenue to the schools, because they want funds in the coffers for the conference's liabilities which are the Comcast mess and possible legal penalties in the upcoming NCAA / players cases.

The overpayment issue what @visitingcock is referring to. I've been also curious as to whether there have been any updates on this being rectified. The question to me is whether this money is accounted for because last I recall, the PAC12 hasn't confirmed whether they know where this money is.

Reaction Score
By “missing,” I thought Comcast had overpaid but the schools couldn't find where they had actually received the overpayments. The question was whether the overpayments were in conference executive "folders." I never heard any resolution of the issue. Might have been a non-starter after a brief initial investigation. Maybe the schools themselves did "actually" receive all the overpayments. I just never heard any resolution.
The overpayment issue what @visitingcock is referring to. I've been also curious as to whether there have been any updates on this being rectified. The question to me is whether this money is accounted for because last I recall, the PAC12 hasn't confirmed whether they know where this money is.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom