Pac 12 1/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 1/21

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Oregon being one of the Top Seeds in the first poll out this week.

What I do have a problem with is the NCAA not considering the Pacific NW for the next group of FF venues.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon is back in first place by themselves. UCLA and Stanford are 1 game back. 4 teams are tied for 4th place at 2 games back--Arizona St., Cal, Oregon St. and Utah.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Oregon being one of the Top Seeds in the first poll out this week.

What I do have a problem with is the NCAA not considering the Pacific NW for the next group of FF venues.
When was the last time that the NCAA put the Final Four west of the Rockies?

Reaction Score
Nobody played well in the first half, but Gulich and Tudor bounced back after halftime, scored 16 and 17. Also the bench got involved, scored 18 this game after 0 the last outing. Goodman paced the reserves w/11.

Hebard had a terrible game for Oregon but the rest of the starters made up for it with balanced scoring. Ionescu was more in playmaking mode than scoring mode this game.
Is Bando coming back this year? Ducks looked pretty good for being short-handed...

Reaction Score
Sabally was a no show on Friday, but she's on fire today. 30-14 Ducks. I think I'll take a brake from the game.
Oregon state changed their defensive assignments from the last game. Sabally is a dangerous player but she was really helped by who they assign to her in this game. As I stated in the thread on the last game, Pivec is a defensive liability. I guess the felt that since Sabally wasn't a threat offensively in the last game they could afford to assign Pivec.

I am glad that they gave Goodman some minutes this game. I actually like her much better at the point.

You are absolutely right about the lack of calls on obvious mugging fouls. I mean they mugged Gulich big time and really threw her off her game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right about the lack of calls on obvious mugging fouls. I mean they mugged Gulich big time and really threw her off her game.

The Ducks got some home cookin' even during the game in Corvallis, so of course it was gonna be lopsided in Eugene.

Gulich must've regrouped at halftime. She was 1-6 from the floor in the first half, did much better in the 2nd half.

The Ducks have gotten 2 points total from their bench the last 85 minutes they've played. That's a bit worrisome isn't it?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I can tell you aren't a fan of Pivec, willtalk. She played really well against Notre Dame, during most of OOC I thought she was right there w/ Gulich as the team's best player. She seems to be struggling through most of conference play so far. I still think she's capable of playing better than what she has been doing recently. At least she's a strong rebounder.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I can tell you aren't a fan of Pivec, willtalk. She played really well against Notre Dame, during most of OOC I thought she was right there w/ Gulich as the team's best player. She seems to be struggling through most of conference play so far. I still think she's capable of playing better than what she has been doing recently. At least she's a strong rebounder.

IMO Pivec is playing out of position out of necessity. Her and McWilliams are often running the point and they aren’t natural PGs. Pivec is better off the ball. I think the additional of Destiny Slocum next season will fix that.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oregon state changed their defensive assignments from the last game. Sabally is a dangerous player but she was really helped by who they assign to her in this game. As I stated in the thread on the last game, Pivec is a defensive liability. I guess the felt that since Sabally wasn't a threat offensively in the last game they could afford to assign Pivec.

I am glad that they gave Goodman some minutes this game. I actually like her much better at the point.

To me, the mugging was mutual and, if anything, the refs did OSU some favors (a phantom 5th foul on McGwire, for instance, or the unnecessary technical on Maley after a scrum around the basket). The bottom line is that Oregon won with one starter out (Bando), another missing in action (Hebard, who was absolutely terrible offensively), and a lineup that for a good portion of the game included two freshmen (Sabally and Maley), two sophomores (Ionescu and Hebard) and one junior (Cazorla). Swapping McGwire for Maley changes the class numbers a bit, but there were still 4 underclassmen on the floor for almost the entire game, and not having Bando, who is a senior, hurts (scoring, certainly, but also opening up the floor for others, reducing minutes for Ionescu and Cazorla, etc.). Sabally still has a lot to learn, but she seems to be getting over a freshman slump; her skill set is impressive and, once she gets more decisive, she will be a tough matchup for many teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone w/ size hopefully, they desperately need some.
Jodi did such a nice job with Long Beach State. I really like that Asian pg she had the last 4 years for So Cal area. Bria High or something.

Reaction Score
IMO Pivec is playing out of position out of necessity. Her and McWilliams are often running the point and they aren’t natural PGs. Pivec is better off the ball. I think the additional of Destiny Slocum next season will fix that.

Excellent insight. McWilliams drained a 3 and 1 to help ice the game in OT verse Oregon on Friday. I am amazed how Oregon St hangs in there especially these past two years. Love watching the Civil War.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Excellent insight. McWilliams drained a 3 and 1 to help ice the game in OT verse Oregon on Friday. I am amazed how Oregon St hangs in there especially these past two years. Love watching the Civil War.

No kidding. They've lost 3 starters 2 years in a row. That would leave a lot of programs fairly drained.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
jonson--OSU is hardly any more experienced or veteran than Oregon. Maybe slightly, but not much. Plus it's pretty unusual to have 3 Sophs that got as much PT as Fr. as Ionescu, Hebard and McGwire did.

Reaction Score
So the Oregon civil war ends up in a tie this season unless they meet again somewhere in the postseason. Nice effort by the beavers to try and make it close after that rough first half. Nice to see McGwire redeem herself in a sense these last two games after losing her starting spot to Sabally earlier in the season but fouling out won't help her cause. Horrid shooting game from Hebard but did her job on the glass. Nice turnaround for both Sabally and Cazorla as i thought they were non factors two nights ago

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Jodi did such a nice job with Long Beach State. I really like that Asian pg she had the last 4 years for So Cal area. Bria High or something.
Anna Kim from Brea HS.
She played for Lou's club team, Cal Swish. I dont recall if Lou played on same team with her or her sister Karlie, or maybe both.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
jonson--OSU is hardly any more experienced or veteran than Oregon. Maybe slightly, but not much. Plus it's pretty unusual to have 3 Sophs that got as much PT as Fr. as Ionescu, Hebard and McGwire did.

I realize that OSU is also young, and I don't mean to minimize what Rueck is doing. He is a very fine coach. But the "slightly" you mention includes a senior post (Gulich with an umlaut) who is their best player and probably the best post in the Pac-12. She was also on the court for all of this game and, I think, the one in Corvallis. On the other hand, UO's lone senior starter was on the bench with crutches and a walking boot. I'd add that, although Bando is not the Ducks best player, her loss is considerable since Graves has no one comparable to replace her. Yes, she can be shut down, but, whether she scores or not, her presence opens up the floor for everyone else and lessens the number of minutes for both Cazorla and Ionescu. And, if teams don't give her sufficient attention, she can break a game open (see UCLA this year and last year's tournament).

Reaction Score
Gee what ever gave you that impression!:rolleyes: I'll give you my take on Pivec. At this point in time she is a selfish player, but that can change.

First of all you do not put the ball in the hands of a player who envisions themselves as a scorer when you have other players on the team who can also score. Layshia Clarendon in her first two years at Cal was in a whole league by herself in respect to selfish. In high school she didn't make the McAA game purely because of that rep. As a soph against TAM there was one series where no other player even touched the ball on 5 straight offensive possessions. In her Jr year she did a complete turnaround once she was returned to the shooting guard position. Ironically as the off guard she became a much better distributor than she was at the point, basically running the team from that position. That was the year they went to the final four and her play and assists were a major part of that. . Pivec isn't even close to the level of "selfish that Clarendon was and we all saw what Layshia transitioned into. She made the biggest transition in an off year I have ever seen.

It is true that Pivec can play much better than she has recently been playing, but she needs to quite playing outside of her capabilities. Pivec is no different than a lot of other scoring two guards when they transition to the next level. They need to readjust to the competition. Last year with Weisner running the offense, she played more withing the context of her game and did not try to create shots for herself rather taking what was available. This year it is different. The reason she struggles is because she makes bad decisions calling her own number when there are much better options. A blatant example happened in the UCLA game when the team was having a very hard time getting open looks and Goodman wide open on her right she instead drove on two Bruins and had her shot blocked. she does this quite a bit. When she drives she seldom looks for or attempts so kick the ball out to an open player. I think she fell into the trap of believing the early hype that she was another Sabrina. This was reinforced by her success against the lesser opposition that the early cup cake schedule supplied. Good players also have to recognize their own limitations.

I personally am not a real fan of ball dominate players. The tend to take the rest of the team out of the offense and when they go cold the team loses. This is what happened to Oregon state last year in the NCAA's. I have always preferred points who were pass first and score second players rather than the other way around. Oregon is diversifying their offense this year so that they are not relying on Sabrina totally. I like players who look to get others involved and pass up their own shots if a better one is available for a team mate. This is why the offense runs better when Mc Williams is running the point despite the fact that her lack of driving too the hoop limits her. The team really needs a true point to maintain a proper offensive flow.

I have to go along with jonson that Oregon appears to be the better team. They just have more depth and they actually have multiple point guards. Oregon State did well to gain a split. We will see what a difference Slocum makes next year. Having a real point makes a big difference. They will however really miss Gulich. It will take the new posts at least a year to be ready to compete at this level.

Reaction Score
Gee what ever gave you that impression!:rolleyes: I'll give you my take on Pivec. At this point in time she is a selfish player, but that can change.

First of all you do not put the ball in the hands of a player who envisions themselves as a scorer when you have other players on the team who can also score. Layshia Clarendon in her first two years at Cal was in a whole league by herself in respect to selfish. In high school she didn't make the McAA game purely because of that rep. As a soph against TAM there was one series where no other player even touched the ball on 5 straight offensive possessions. In her Jr year she did a complete turnaround once she was returned to the shooting guard position. Ironically as the off guard she became a much better distributor than she was at the point, basically running the team from that position. That was the year they went to the final four and her play and assists were a major part of that. . Pivec isn't even close to the level of "selfish that Clarendon was and we all saw what Layshia transitioned into. She made the biggest transition in an off year I have ever seen.

It is true that Pivec can play much better than she has recently been playing, but she needs to quite playing outside of her capabilities. Pivec is no different than a lot of other scoring two guards when they transition to the next level. They need to readjust to the competition. Last year with Weisner running the offense, she played more withing the context of her game and did not try to create shots for herself rather taking what was available. This year it is different. The reason she struggles is because she makes bad decisions calling her own number when there are much better options. A blatant example happened in the UCLA game when the team was having a very hard time getting open looks and Goodman wide open on her right she instead drove on two Bruins and had her shot blocked. she does this quite a bit. When she drives she seldom looks for or attempts so kick the ball out to an open player. I think she fell into the trap of believing the early hype that she was another Sabrina. This was reinforced by her success against the lesser opposition that the early cup cake schedule supplied. Good players also have to recognize their own limitations.

I personally am not a real fan of ball dominate players. The tend to take the rest of the team out of the offense and when they go cold the team loses. This is what happened to Oregon state last year in the NCAA's. I have always preferred points who were pass first and score second players rather than the other way around. Oregon is diversifying their offense this year so that they are not relying on Sabrina totally. I like players who look to get others involved and pass up their own shots if a better one is available for a team mate. This is why the offense runs better when Mc Williams is running the point despite the fact that her lack of driving too the hoop limits her. The team really needs a true point to maintain a proper offensive flow.

I have to go along with jonson that Oregon appears to be the better team. They just have more depth and they actually have multiple point guards. Oregon State did well to gain a split. We will see what a difference Slocum makes next year. Having a real point makes a big difference. They will however really miss Gulich. It will take the new posts at least a year to be ready to compete at this level.
Whoa! Gonna have to vehemently disagree with statement "Pivec is a selfish player". Pivec is not a natural point guard, and had been asked to play the point (which is not her natural, or, preferred position on the court). Pivec's freshman year, she played off the ball, and that is where she is a delight to watch. She has the freedom to catch and shoot, or, penetrate, which she absolutely is capable (and very good) at doing from the wing. It has been hard on her to have to play point. I think Rueck saw last night, it is much better to have Aleah Goodman play the point vs Pivec. Pivec is actually an unselfish player. Aleah Goodman, after the 1st few minutes settled down, and played like a point guard, making solid entry passes, and, hitting the open shot when it was available. Aleah is still learning things like taking on a 6' 4" center at the rim requires a bit more skill than required in high school. Aleah will get there. Pivec will fill up the stat sheet (with good stats) the more she is allowed to play wing. Not worried one bit about Pivec making solid contributions the rest of this season. Scott Rueck is still figuring out his 7 best players. My two cents is: Gulich, McWilliams, Pivec, Corosdale, Tudor, Kalmer, and Goodman. I would not give so many minutes to Maddie Washington, and give those minutes to Kalmer. Lastly, I was impressed the way OSU stayed in the game during the 2nd half. At this point, OSU needs to make sure they play out the rest of the season getting in the top 16 seeding so they can host the 1st 2 NCAA playoff games. Finally, congratulations to the Ducks, they are a fine team, and I look forward to the PAC12 tearing it up in the NCAA Tournament. I don't think anyone is expecting much out of the PAC12, but I believe UO, OSU, and UCLA will make some significant noise come tournament time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just to tack on to the Pivec discussion, I've seen her be very effective driving to the hoop last year and earlier this season. Lately she's struggling to finish. I think she's just in a slump, it happens to many players. Fortunately Tudor has really stepped up her play in recent games to pick up some of the slack.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
My two cents is: Gulich, McWilliams, Pivec, Corosdale, Tudor, Kalmer, and Goodman.

Those might be the best 7 players, but somebody needs to provide some minutes of relief to Gulich and Corosdale in the front court. Grymek and/or Washington have to play at least a little bit.

Reaction Score
Whoa! Gonna have to vehemently disagree with statement "Pivec is a selfish player". Pivec is not a natural point guard, and had been asked to play the point (which is not her natural, or, preferred position on the court). Pivec's freshman year, she played off the ball, and that is where she is a delight to watch. She has the freedom to catch and shoot, or, penetrate, which she absolutely is capable (and very good) at doing from the wing. It has been hard on her to have to play point. I think Rueck saw last night, it is much better to have Aleah Goodman play the point vs Pivec. Pivec is actually an unselfish player. Aleah Goodman, after the 1st few minutes settled down, and played like a point guard, making solid entry passes, and, hitting the open shot when it was available. Aleah is still learning things like taking on a 6' 4" center at the rim requires a bit more skill than required in high school. Aleah will get there. Pivec will fill up the stat sheet (with good stats) the more she is allowed to play wing. Not worried one bit about Pivec making solid contributions the rest of this season. Scott Rueck is still figuring out his 7 best players. My two cents is: Gulich, McWilliams, Pivec, Corosdale, Tudor, Kalmer, and Goodman. I would not give so many minutes to Maddie Washington, and give those minutes to Kalmer. Lastly, I was impressed the way OSU stayed in the game during the 2nd half. At this point, OSU needs to make sure they play out the rest of the season getting in the top 16 seeding so they can host the 1st 2 NCAA playoff games. Finally, congratulations to the Ducks, they are a fine team, and I look forward to the PAC12 tearing it up in the NCAA Tournament. I don't think anyone is expecting much out of the PAC12, but I believe UO, OSU, and UCLA will make some significant noise come tournament time.
I stand by my statement. I initially choked it up to lack of court vision, because I saw too many instances where she took it herself ( either the shot or drove to the basket) when a team mate had a better shot. Then there came instances that she could not have possibly missed. uyNow most scoring guards have a degree of selfishness in them. It's part of the dynamic of a scorer. Sabrina in her soph year became very selfish via her experience with the National team. The national coach was clueless about utilizing a talented roster and negated all she was doing in both high school and AAU But within the end of the AAU season she became the well rounded player who got her teammates involved again and that was reflected by the increased success of the teams she was on. Perhaps we have a different standard for selfish and unselfish. I gave my perspective of what happened to Pivecs game and why she is not as successful in league as she was earlier and last season.

If you put my post in context it basically agree's with you in respect to her playing at the wing. I also stated you do not make a scorer your primary ball handler. That was on Reuck. It is her nature to look for her shot first and the pass second. If it were not so she would be effective at the point. Usually in high school the elite players are on teams that rely on them for scoring so they get in the pattern of going for it solo. A lot of the time in high school the best player is ball dominant even if they are not the point. I used Clarendon as an extreme example of one person scoring machine in high school who finally made an adjustment in her Jr year. Some players never do. Clarendon's paid off because she fullfilled her potential as a point in the WNBA. She always had the physical skills of a point so all that was required was a change in mindset.

In the Pac 12 the competition is high so even shooting guards have to become better and more frequent passers. This is especially important for teams like Oregon and Oregon State who are loaded with good shooters. I also know players still in high school who I really like as people who have gone through periods of being very selfish on the court. Many times it was circumstance that edged them in that direction. Not being or playing the point position is actually no excuse for not looking for team mate who has a better shot. Being selfish on the court is not necessarily a character flaw. It does not necessarily mean the person is selfish, rather that they might have just developed a situational habit that a change in circumstances might now require them to now alter. Conversely under other circumstances the team might be better of if they don't change.

Another thing I watch is how well a player plays defense.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I guess I fall on the unselfish side as well, although it does seem to me that Pivec is still learning how to deal with being the center of attention, something that was not an issue last year. But I'd be happy to see her in green and yellow and wish Graves (or someone) had started a German pipeline to UO soon enough to have a shot at Gulich, who has quite a skill set and could really help Hebard with her offense especially.

As for the game Sunday (I was there with some 7,600 other fans, more than a few in orange and black), I believe it was won in the first half by, of all things, the Duck defense, which was the best I've seen (I know this may not be saying much). The game itself was also not as close imo as the final score indicates. (Oregon led by 19 4 minutes into the fourth quarter, and I don't think OSU got closer than 12 points from about midway in the second period on.) And I do think Bando would have made a (positive) difference for Oregon in both games (and especially the first) given the last minute changes in strategy it obviously entailed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I believe it was won in the first half by, of all things, the Duck defense

Agreed. They were tenacious and really took OSU out of the game. On Friday they frustrated OSU at times in the 2nd half w/ a zone, but on Sunday they were much more aggressive.

I'm sure you've gathered I'm more of an OSU fan (my parents and various uncles and cousins went there). I can certainly appreciate what Graves is doing at Oregon, he's turned them around in a big way. They have some really good players and are exciting to watch. As a Beaver fan I'm naturally inclined to dislike anything in green and yellow, but I enjoy the women's hoops team. Plus I like Graves from his Gonzaga days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom