Ozark | The Boneyard

Ozark

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My sister in law told us to watch this show. Sprague's thread will get us to do it...

Reaction Score
First two episodes felt like a well done Breaking Bad rip off, but then the show got its legs. Great first season. Bateman is perfect for that role.

Not really. It got off to a fast start. I can't get past the first six episodes of Breaking Bad.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not really. It got off to a fast start. I can't get past the first six episodes of Breaking Bad.

Yeah, Breaking Bad sucks. It is considered one of the worst shows of all time.

How would you know anyway if you didn't see Breaking Bad? The first few episodes of Ozark seems to borrow from Breaking Bad almost to the point of ripping it off, and there are some similarities between the two that I suspect are not coincidental. I liked Ozark, but it took about 3 episodes to become its own show.

Reaction Score
Stick with Breaking Bad, it really is that good. A bit confused from your post though hecause Breaking Bad was great from the start.

As for Ozark it was a very good first season but a hair away from being great. The acting is excellent. Bateman is always great as is Linney and Harris Yulin but it's Ruth who steals every scene she's in. She's the character you care about the most and she needs more screen time in season 2.

Reaction Score
Stick with Breaking Bad, it really is that good. A bit confused from your post though hecause Breaking Bad was great from the start.

As for Ozark it was a very good first season but a hair away from being great. The acting is excellent. Bateman is always great as is Linney and Harris Yulin but it's Ruth who steals every scene she's in. She's the character you care about the most and she needs more screen time in season 2.

I agree on Ruth. I've tried on multiple occasions with Breaking Bad. Albuquerque is just too depressing for me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Watching episode 5. Bateman, to me, always is the same guy when I see him. Here, we're getting actual depth at times.

Not digging Linney in this.

The Ruth character is cool. Maybe just a little too smart?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watching episode 5. Bateman, to me, always is the same guy when I see him. Here, we're getting actual depth at times.

Not digging Linney in this.

The Ruth character is cool. Maybe just a little too smart?

Linney gets better.

One thing that bugged me was in the flashback episode - they're supposed to be 10 years younger, which I guess would put them in late 30s-early 40s. Linney looks every bit of 55 in those flashbacks. Gotta think they could've done something to help with that.

As far as Ruth, I think the show pretty much shows everyone Martin comes in contact with in Arkansas is pretty sharp. Except Russ & Boyd.

Reaction Score
Linney gets better.

One thing that bugged me was in the flashback episode - they're supposed to be 10 years younger, which I guess would put them in late 30s-early 40s. Linney looks every bit of 55 in those flashbacks. Gotta think they could've done something to help with that.

As far as Ruth, I think the show pretty much shows everyone Martin comes in contact with in Arkansas is pretty sharp. Except Russ & Boyd.
Missouri.

Reaction Score
This is my show. First and last episode were perfect. Everything in between was great too. Can't wait for the next season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is my show. First and last episode were perfect. Everything in between was great too. Can't wait for the next season.

There is really no way to discuss the final episode without giving it away, so I will leave it at it was awesome.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There is really no way to discuss the final episode without giving it away, so I will leave it at it was awesome.

You could say that it was filmed as both a final episode to tie up storylines for season 1 and a finale for the entire series should it not get renewed. That doesn't give anything away.

Reaction Score
I finally watched the last episode, and I didn't know what to expect. I don't want to ruin anything but I sure hope there are more seasons. There are some badddd people in this show.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My wife and I binged it over the last week.

Im not totally enamored with it. It just goes a bit far past reality sometimes, like worse than breaking bad. I still have trouble wrapping my head around Zoo not being able to get through Breaking Bad but loving this show. They are so so similar. And I disagree with Nelson in that it doesnt let go of that after 3 episodes. In my opinion it continues to up the similarities through the end of the season with all the "no way is he getting out of this one, oooh somehow he squeaked by, on to the next bigger badder villain"

Still all in all an enjoyable watch. It just misses on some fronts but manages to still engage. I like the old dude living in the basement.

August_West

Reaction Score

Yeah that was my least favorite episode.

Reaction Score
My wife and I binged it over the last week.

Im not totally enamored with it. It just goes a bit far past reality sometimes, like worse than breaking bad. I still have trouble wrapping my head around Zoo not being able to get through Breaking Bad but loving this show. They are so so similar. And I disagree with Nelson in that it doesnt let go of that after 3 episodes. In my opinion it continues to up the similarities through the end of the season with all the "no way is he getting out of this one, oooh somehow he squeaked by, on to the next bigger badder villain"

Still all in all an enjoyable watch. It just misses on some fronts but manages to still engage. I like the old dude living in the basement.

The pacing is better in Ozark. Plus I like almost everything that Jason Bateman is involved with.

His character is so much different than Brian Cranston's. Marty is a survivor who always has another trick up his sleeve. He'd quit tomorrow if he could but he has enslaved himself and his family to organized crime.

August_West

Reaction Score
His character is so much different than Brian Cranston's. Marty is a survivor who always has another trick up his sleeve. He'd quit tomorrow if he could but he has enslaved himself and his family to organized crime.

actually you just described Walter White verbatitm.

August_West

Reaction Score
Nah. Walt had the Heisenberg alter ego. He eventually got off on power and greed. Marty's just trying to get him and his family out in one piece.

Eventually............................

Reaction Score
Great show. Just finished it. Some of it is a stretch, but a lot less of a stretch than Banshee (as an example).

Extremely well acted. Bateman is fantastic, and the depth of the supporting characters is what really makes it work, IMHO.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just finished - not to echo what's already been posted, but wow, Bateman does an outstanding job. The son showcased some really interesting complexity as well. Looking forward to seeing how Linney and Julia Garner continue to develop in S2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom