Overstated | The Boneyard

Overstated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How much confidence do you gain from beating an overmatched team that was missing its two best players? Meaghan acted like this game was the cure-all for what ails UConn. The Huskies played well, but let's not get too carried away with the win. It wasn't like they beat Stanford or Baylor. Kerith Burke has my vote to be the commentator for the Huskies' games.

Reaction Score
How much confidence do you gain from beating an overmatched team that was missing its two best players? Meaghan acted like this game was the cure-all for what ails UConn. The Huskies played well, but let's not get too carried away with the win. It wasn't like they beat Stanford or Baylor. Kerith Burke has my vote to be the commentator for the Huskies' games.

I stopped listening to Meaghan years ago. Her claim to fame is her frienship with Geno and her giggle not her knowledge of the game. Kerith Burke would be a big improvement. The Geno show is much better because of Kerith and her game interviews are professional. Getting rid of Pircozzi was a big step forward in game coverage.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought she had a good point about the Maryland and PSU games hurting the team's confidence. Don't forget how young many of the key players are for the Huskies - I'm sure last night helped them get some of their swagger back. Plus, it looks like Bria has regained her shooting touch. And, the Huskies needed a game to knock the rust off after a 12 day layoff and this was basically a scrimmage that helped them reconnect on the court. Those things are important going forward.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure that the "confidence" comes from comes from beating an" overmatched" team as much as it comes from executing your assignments well and doing your job well. As a player, you have no control over who the schedule gives you, and how focuses/prepared your opponent is. You have great control over how you perform - not absolute control, because the other team plays too, but..
I did think that, the first game after almost two weeks of nothing but exams and practice has got to be a great release. Particularly for the frosh and even sophmores, it's gotta be like "Finally!".

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Pinot,

The problem is that executing an assignment against a team like Oakland is meaningless. Srewart and hartley had good games last night but how will Stewart play when she's getting shoved around? Will Hartley's shots fall against a good defense or will she miss a couple early on and shoot bricks the rest of the night? I'm not saying that's what will happen. I just think that last night didn't answer those questions.

A good opponent will have at least some control over how the team performs. Case in point MD and PSU.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pinot,

The problem is that executing an assignment against a team like Oakland is meaningless. Srewart and hartley had good games last night but how will Stewart play when she's getting shoved around? Will Hartley's shots fall against a good defense or will she miss a couple early on and shoot bricks the rest of the night? I'm not saying that's what will happen. I just think that last night didn't answer those questions.

A good opponent will have at least some control over how the team performs. Case in point MD and PSU.

Well, we already know Hartley can play very well against the better teams. The kids who weren't available last night for us, Stokes and Tuck, could have used this game for some positive MOJO. Stewart is still adjusting, but she's damn good and Banks has played great against everyone this year. Stanford escaped with its life yesterday. UConn's close games, with all hands on deck have been 15 point wins.

Reaction Score
I knew it was only a matter of time when we would be reading posts about the announcers because the game stories are just not enough to keep our interest.
I think you are being unfair and that Megan does a very good job in explaining why, even in a blowout, there are certain expectations and positive as well as negative things that can be taken from evebn a blowout.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Pinot,

I guess my response to this is somewhat contrarian: if Stewart or Hartley had played lousy, would it have been meaningless too? I suspect folks would be spewing all sorts of unhappiness, if that were the case. Basically, I feel that a good performance, a "job well-done" is never meaningless. Sure, there are some games that are more significant than others, and performances that are too, but I think it's insulting to both the player and the opponent to be so completely dismissive. Now, your last sentence I agree with: last night was not "the final exam", if you will. But, using the same analogy, this was a relatively simple, early in-the-semester quiz. The team did well, and individual players did better than they did on the tougher test they took two weeks ago. That's a good thing.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The shooting was phenomenal, and that's something that's difficult even in practice. I thought they executed well, and didn't let up even when they had a huge lead. All positives. It's basically a glorified scrimmage, and that's OK. They can't all be top-25 teams, obviously.

Reaction Score
While this was certainly a beatdown in total, the first ten minutes of the second half showed that there is still a lot of improvement needed against a good team. With the regular rotation being used, and only the full-court press being called off, we won the first ten minutes of that second half by 3 points. When I looked up, we had scored about 12 point in those ten minutes, against a team that did not or could not rebound. Our zone lasted two or three defensive sets because Oakland was getting open shots. Still some work to do to get ready for the likes of Stanford.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Pinot,

Don't you mean that last night didn't answer YOUR questions?

The kids were coming off a long exam period, harder than regular practices and dealing with their emotional reactions to the SH tragedy (Heather and Kelly had done a clinic in Newtown some time back).

They needed to get out and play a game. They needed to get away from playing each other. They did a lot of good things - shooting, defending, great hand movement, good speed and floor coverage.....was it a great game? No. But it's not the UConn's fault that the other school was overmatched and missing their two best players due to injury.

And since UConn has to play 32 games (including exhibitions), where are they going to find more quality opponents in the top 25 than they already have? Not everyone wants to come up here and take a lickin on tv.

Sometimes I think you want a civil war reenactment for every game. Or that the kids are gladiators in an arena, and only you get to decide who is a worthy opponent. I am hopeful the next two games will be more to your liking.

In the meantime, may you have happy holidays and perhaps a nice eggnog or two to lighten your mood.

Reaction Score
The shooting was phenomenal, and that's something that's difficult even in practice. I thought they executed well, and didn't let up even when they had a huge lead. All positives. It's basically a glorified scrimmage, and that's OK. They can't all be top-25 teams, obviously.

I was thinking the same thing, comparing last night against Baylor/Tenn. Baylor got the big lead early, and coasted, I thought. It really does not do anything for a team to go a 3/4 speed/effort, just because they already have a big lead. They should play each possession as though the game is on the line. That's why UConn has been so consistently successful from year to year, in the NCAA's...

Reaction Score
Don't you mean that last night didn't answer YOUR questions?

The kids were coming off a long exam period, harder than regular practices and dealing with their emotional reactions to the SH tragedy (Heather and Kelly had done a clinic in Newtown some time back).

They needed to get out and play a game. They needed to get away from playing each other. They did a lot of good things - shooting, defending, great hand movement, good speed and floor coverage.....was it a great game? No. But it's not the UConn's fault that the other school was overmatched and missing their two best players due to injury.

And since UConn has to play 32 games (including exhibitions), where are they going to find more quality opponents in the top 25 than they already have? Not everyone wants to come up here and take a lickin on tv.

Sometimes I think you want a civil war reenactment for every game. Or that the kids are gladiators in an arena, and only you get to decide who is a worthy opponent. I am hopeful the next two games will be more to your liking.

In the meantime, may you have happy holidays and perhaps a nice eggnog or two to lighten your mood.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the advice, but please don't tell me to lighten my mood. What UConn did was what they were expected to do. There was no challenge, and the whole point of playing a game is that it's not supposed to be a scrimmage, which is exactly what it was. Oakland gained nothing either, especially with their two best players out. What they learned is that they have no chance of ever winning against the best teams. However, when they get healthy, they will have a chance to win their conference. Also, don't tell me their coach hasn't told them to dive after every loose ball. You act as though no other coach tells their players what to do. Some players are just better at executing their game plan. Maybe next time they can play against the number one high school team, which would have been a better matchup. I feel bad for Oakland that they didn't have their two best players. Nothing was gained from this game.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Thanks for the advice, but please don't tell me to lighten my mood. What UConn did was what they were expected to do. There was no challenge, and the whole point of playing a game is that it's not supposed to be a scrimmage, which is exactly what it was. Oakland gained nothing either, especially with their two best players out. What they learned is that they have no chance of ever winning against the best teams. However, when they get healthy, they will have a chance to win their conference. Also, don't tell me their coach hasn't told them to dive after every loose ball. You act as though no other coach tells their players what to do. Some players are just better at executing their game plan. Maybe next time they can play against the number one high school team, which would have been a better matchup. I feel bad for Oakland that they didn't have their two best players. Nothing was gained from this game.

You need to let Geno and the players know this...no sense keeping them in the dark.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
" where are they going to find more quality opponents in the top 25 than they already have?"

They don't have to find more top 25 opponents but they really should shy away from the bottom 25. Oakland's Sagarin rating is 273 in D1. I don't mind watching a beatdown if the opponent is expected to offer some competition (Duke and UNC of recent years) but there's not much entertainment value watching lambs being led to slaughter. There are enough non competitive opponents in the conference to go around. I don't think the team needs to schedule them OOC.

I've never been to a CW reenactment but I can't see any comparison. Basketball is a competition between athletes, re enactments from what I've seen are something else entirely.

And you couldn't pay me to drink eggnog.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Well, Chris, I DIDN'T tell you to lighten your mood. I told VTCWBuff. And I also didn't comment on their coach or coach's instructions.

Sorry you don't think the game was worthy enough for you. Who exactly would you schedule that we don't already play and is WILLING TO PLAY US?

Perhaps you do need an egg nog or two. Or reading glasses so you know who's post to reply to.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
" where are they going to find more quality opponents in the top 25 than they already have?"

They don't have to find more top 25 opponents but they really should shy away from the bottom 25. Oakland's Sagarin rating is 273 in D1. I don't mind watching a beatdown if the opponent is expected to offer some competition (Duke and UNC of recent years) but there's not much entertainment value watching lambs being led to slaughter. There are enough non competitive opponents in the conference to go around. I don't think the team needs to schedule them OOC.

I've never been to a CW reenactment but I can't see any comparison. Basketball is a competition between athletes, re enactments from what I've seen are something else entirely.

And you couldn't pay me to drink eggnog.

My points are this: 1) UConn/Geno are known for giving lower ranked schools an opportunity to come and play us if there is a hole in the schedule;2) there are sometimes holes in the schedule because other schools won't play us or the timing is bad; 3) Apologies for the reenactment comment, you are right.

I also rescind the eggnog invite. Perhaps a nice single malt scotch? And I do wish you happy holidays.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
My points are this: 1) UConn/Geno are known for giving lower ranked schools an opportunity to come and play us if there is a hole in the schedule;2) there are sometimes holes in the schedule because other schools won't play us or the timing is bad; 3) Apologies for the reenactment comment, you are right.

I also rescind the eggnog invite. Perhaps a nice single malt scotch? And I do wish you happy holidays.

I bet VT would be tempted by a Macallan 25, neat of course!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO this is a game to forget about. Youve all mentioned the plus's and minus's. It was an overmatched practice and we couldnt do enough to let them play. Bottom line is we move on from here. We will see more games just like this againest better opponets. We are just to talented with no let up from 1-10.

Hartford is sold out and will be a better game. Im sure everything wont go our way. Then its the biggy with Stanford. This is the game that scares me. Yes we are the better team and I hope they dont call ticky tacky fouls againest us that keeps Stanford in the game. We are too good to lose this game and if our bigs continue to stay out of foul trouble it will be a long afternoon for Stanford.

Reaction Score

I'd be game for either a little eggnog or a scotch! My vices this time of year...

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
IMO this is a game to forget about. Youve all mentioned the plus's and minus's. It was an overmatched practice and we couldnt do enough to let them play. Bottom line is we move on from here. We will see more games just like this againest better opponets. We are just to talented with no let up from 1-10.

Hartford is sold out and will be a better game. Im sure everything wont go our way. Then its the biggy with Stanford. This is the game that scares me. Yes we are the better team and I hope they dont call ticky tacky fouls againest us that keeps Stanford in the game. We are too good to lose this game and if our bigs continue to stay out of foul trouble it will be a long afternoon for Stanford.

Point taken, Tony. I retire from this discussion slightly winded but still kicking.
Age, you know (my age, not yours :rolleyes: )

I will be on a plane during the UHart game, have to DVR it for our viewing pleasure on our return from the (hopefully) sunny trip to FL and family.

Happy holidays!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My points are this: 1) UConn/Geno are known for giving lower ranked schools an opportunity to come and play us if there is a hole in the schedule;2) there are sometimes holes in the schedule because other schools won't play us or the timing is bad;
Agree. Nothing wrong with giving a low level school a shot at the big time. How often do they get to play in front of 8000 people? Oakland got to run their offense against a top notch press, a tough man-to-man, half court trapping defense and even a zone for awhile. All very good ones. How often do they get to do that? Oakland coach knew what she was getting into. Unfortunately her two bigs were out, but you don't know that when you schedule it.

As for UCONN, they got to shake the cobwebs out after exams. Work on running their offense and defense against someone other than themselves (always helps), without getting beat up. They got to press, trap, man-to-man and half court trap. Get there shooting touch back after exams. Release some tension after exams (and Sandy Hook - though you don't plan for that).

All in all a win-win for everyone.

Some people remind me of Kid and Willie from Bad Santa

Kid: Candy Corn?
Willie: Well they can't all be winners.

I also rescind the eggnog invite.
Good idea, eggnog's nasty.

Reaction Score
I think it actually did add something for Stewart and Hartley.

First and foremost, Hartley traditionally doesn't play that well against weak teams. It has almost seemed like she was looking for competition and would get bored with a blowout. But she needed to get herself on track, and tonight was a stepping stone in that direction. Bria was missing wide open shots in previous games. Wide open shots are wide open shots.

And young players are up and down. Stewart just needs to be on her way up. And regardless of the competition, a decent game will contribute to that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

A single malt will always "do." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32