Overmatched, But... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overmatched, But...

Reaction Score
Played a competitive first half against a far superior team. Game came down to red zone turnover with mensah on the sideline. With all due respect to his 5 td performance last week, he was having his best power performance of the season. Some of his third down runs were just inspirational. Then he waits on the sideline while watching just incomprehensible play calls 2 yards from a td to make it a two score game. Senseless-and they are team that just caves after monumental failures like this.

Reaction Score
Played a competitive first half against a far superior team. Game came down to red zone turnover with mensah on the sideline. With all due respect to his 5 td performance last week, he was having his best power performance of the season. Some of his third down runs were just inspirational. Then he waits on the sideline while watching just incomprehensible play calls 2 yards from a td to make it a two score game. Senseless-and they are team that just caves after monumental failures like this.
Flashbacks to 15 with the clock running down

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Nah. Turnovers and not punching in that TD to end the half made this score look ridiculous.

We moved the ball. Kevin went for 100, even when they knew he was coming. Cam Ross looks like he can catch anything within 10 yards of him.

We need composure at the QB spot and we can't have this side arm stuff happen anymore. Hopefully Krajewski is the answer when he's healthy again, or recruit a different QB, or teach Z not to throw that way. That one spot fixes a lot of what ails us...
They also had two TD drives kept alive by absolutely brutal PI calls

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I watch every game with hope. At some point I turn it off. Last night, that was when we had first and goal at the two and we didn’t score.

I got some enjoyment out of the game. It was fun for a half. But I’m not a masochist.

And the announcers gushing all over about Navy became sickening.

Reaction Score
I watch every game with hope. At some point I turn it off. Last night, that was when we had first and goal at the two and we didn’t score.

I got some enjoyment out of the game. It was fun for a half. But I’m not a masochist.

And the announcers gushing all over about Navy became sickening.

Sports broadcasting(especially ESPiN) is all about the other team’s narrative. I’ve come to accept that.

Reaction Score
Navy runs the triple option because they don't have the athletes to run a pro set offense and produce a winning record.

Yet they "overmatched" us. They were stronger, faster, blocked and tackled better than us. Think about that.
Save for Memphis, Navy pretty much ran their offense to perfection on everyone this season. Not sure what everyone expected here and why this is so shocking. There were some moments for sure (very early) where UConn had a chance to keep it close. We needed to score to keep up not expect to stop them by any means. I’m more disappointed that the offense scored only 10 than the defense letting up 56.

In order to stay with these guys your offense needs to be a pseudo defense by grinding out 6-10 play drives and limiting their possessions. You’re not stopping Navy on defense.

Reaction Score
This!
Thank you sir. Encapsulates the game perfectly.
There is plenty of room for frustration after this game and you hit it on the head

Reaction Score
Navy runs the triple option because they don't have the athletes to run a pro set offense and produce a winning record.

Interesting point. Are there any other teams you can think of that maybe should consider installing the triple option because they have a hard time recruiting said athletes?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One thing I have liked recently, excepting that ridiculous series before halftime, is that Giufre's playcalling and schemes are producing a lot of open receivers. At least while the games are still competitive. Once UConn is forced to throw, it gets more difficult. But the playcalling seems more open the past few games than it was even under Lashlee.

Too bad Jack misses those wide open guys so often.

28-10 vs 28-17 at halftime may not seem like much on the scoreboard, but I can't imagine it being anything but devastating to the team's psyche.

Reaction Score
You planning on cutting that million dollar check yet?
There is a lot to be said for waiting until Dec 2nd but on the flip side almost every game is evidence that Edsall and his staff are clueless. 1st and goal near the end of the half and coming up empty I hope was the last straw for Benedict, Katsoleas, and the BOT. UConn was clearly unprepared for what the Navy defense was doing. What worries me more is many of the players saw this as well, and transfers will happen if he is not let go or honorably steps down after Dec 2nd. UConn needs a coach who can make changes in the fly, Edsall is not that coach. Uconn still has a kid who can play QB and not be rattled by blitzing corners every play, but that kid is now playing tight end. Put Rose in at QB until Steven Krajewski is ready. People forget Rose was recruited by several FBS schools to play QB. With the QB situation being fairly desperate now with Steven Krajewski's injury, desperate times call for some desperate measures that possibly might work. Any creative minded coach would have had Rose taking snaps in practice weeks ago.

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Looking forward to the day when we can stop with the moral victories in 30+ point blowouts.

Reaction Score
One thing I have liked recently, excepting that ridiculous series before halftime, is that Giufre's playcalling and schemes are producing a lot of open receivers. At least while the games are still competitive. Once UConn is forced to throw, it gets more difficult. But the playcalling seems more open the past few games than it was even under Lashlee.

Too bad Jack misses those wide open guys so often.

28-10 vs 28-17 at halftime may not seem like much on the scoreboard, but I can't imagine it being anything but devastating to the team's psyche.
Not to mention 28-17 and they forced a three and out to start the second half.

Good teams make these things happen. Right now we’re working towards that. I think Elijah Jeffries can be a good receiver for us. He has the size and with a good offseason he could be that big bodied WR that does wonders for an offense.

Reaction Score
I’m a big Rose fan. His blocking is getting better every week. Don’t see them ever moving him back to QB. He was recruited by most as a TE and he is very good. Look for him to be playing on Sundays in the future.
Might not be a bad idea to give Skaines a shot. He looks like he could run for his life at least.

Reaction Score
The schedule to this point is not as strong as last year. The FCS team is far worse. UMass worse. Imagine if we had played Cincy already and a Boise State, the numbers would be very similar to last year. If another crappy ECU team kicks our ass, at home then we are not better.

Reaction Score
We actually had a runner who just happened to play QB.

That’s fine but that’s not what he said. He said not FBS level. Pindell was FBS level. The defense and offensive line weren’t d2 caliber though.

Reaction Score
56-10, they lost 56-10. It was not close. You would think they were a few breaks away from winning. They weren’t. The quicker the fan base accepts it the louder they will get.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Interesting point. Are there any other teams you can think of that maybe should consider installing the triple option because they have a hard time recruiting said athletes?
@Guapo

Reaction Score
I’m a big Rose fan. His blocking is getting better every week. Don’t see them ever moving him back to QB. He was recruited by most as a TE and he is very good.
UConn and sorryexcuse recruited Jay Rose with a hint he might get a shot at QB, but you’re correct. Whisky, Maryland, Wake, bcu, and a massive majority of the schools recruited him exclusively as a TE. Somehow the majority may have believed TE was Rose’s best shot at contributing at the FBS level; even crazy Diaco when Rose actually joined the Huskies.

As much as most of us legitimately hope for more team success, Jay’s continuing to improve at the position he’s going to play. Improved blocking will come at his true position, but good things often occur when the ball gets in his TE hands. Easy kid to root for additional success.

Reaction Score
UConn and sorryexcuse recruited Jay Rose with a hint he might get a shot at QB, but you’re correct. Whisky, Maryland, Wake, bcu, and a massive majority of the schools recruited him exclusively as a TE. Somehow the majority may have believed TE was Rose’s best shot at contributing at the FBS level; even crazy Diaco when Rose actually joined the Huskies.

As much as most of us legitimately hope for more team success, Jay’s continuing to improve at the position he’s going to play. Improved blocking will come at his true position, but good things often occur when the ball gets in his TE hands. Easy kid to root for additional success.

Rose definitely has been making incremental improvement, and I’m excited to see how he does next season. When you watch him you can tell he is gaining confidence in all aspects of the position. No question he has the talent and I think he puts it all together in 2020. Another kid who will get at least an nfl camp tryout in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Save for Memphis, Navy pretty much ran their offense to perfection on everyone this season. Not sure what everyone expected here and why this is so shocking. There were some moments for sure (very early) where UConn had a chance to keep it close. We needed to score to keep up not expect to stop them by any means. I’m more disappointed that the offense scored only 10 than the defense letting up 56.

In order to stay with these guys your offense needs to be a pseudo defense by grinding out 6-10 play drives and limiting their possessions. You’re not stopping Navy on defense.
I guess my expectation was for there to be less incompetence.

1. Throw a ball to a DE and he drops it. Next play, throw the ball to the DE

2. Pressured, running out of the pocket, throwing across the field and your body for a pick.

3. Goal line play calls with Mensah on the sideline. No excuse for those series of plays. Diaco-like.

4. Blown tackle after blown tackle

5. The inability to use our strength run game to counter their pressure packages.

The first half could have been fun. Limit the 3 turnovers, the two long plays given up and you got yourself a game. These things I expect from a young offense with a freshman QB. I don’t expect a D1 coach to abandon the run at the two yard line and place your best player on the sideline and get cute. That series was a back breaker and was when I turned the TV off.

Is it bad for me to expect competence?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is it bad for me to expect competence?
Bad? No. Unrealistic? Sadly yes at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom