Overmatched, But... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Overmatched, But...

Reaction Score
I guess my expectation was for there to be less incompetence.

1. Throw a ball to a DE and he drops it. Next play, throw the ball to the DE

2. Pressured, running out of the pocket, throwing across the field and your body for a pick.

3. Goal line play calls with Mensah on the sideline. No excuse for those series of plays. Diaco-like.

4. Blown tackle after blown tackle

5. The inability to use our strength run game to counter their pressure packages.

The first half could have been fun. Limit the 3 turnovers, the two long plays given up and you got yourself a game. These things I expect from a young offense with a freshman QB. I don’t expect a D1 coach to abandon the run at the two yard line and place your best player on the sideline and get cute. That series was a back breaker and was when I turned the TV off.

Is it bad for me to expect competence?
I concur with your points

I summed up what you said by saying there were times early when UConn had chances to keep it close.

Reaction Score
I really believe that RE thinks the talent in Canada and the northeast compares to that of Georgia, Florida, Texas and California. I really believe he knew Steven Krajewski was better than both those non ranked QB’s from Canada. He has 2 offensive weapons from GA Steven Krajewski and Black he just wouldn’t give an opportunity to for whatever reason he’s made up in his mind. I’ve watched both those kids play in what is known by anyone who knows football play in the SEC of high school football and dominate!!!! I wonder if he’s doing them the way he has because Lashlee wanted them and he and Lashlee didn’t see eye to eye. There are others in that program from the southern states he either won’t play or is coaches don’t have the ability to develop. I feel sorry for UCONN football until the foolishness stops. These are kids still stop lying to them and making excuses and blaming the kids. There are many teams playing young players and competing. The bashing of the kids from the AD to the HC is why the kids haven’t responded yet. This is a new era of kids that old school I don’t praise them at all I just yell and scream mentality is not working. Look at the older coaches that has adapted to the new era of kids and take notes RE the kids will respond.
What kids has the AD been bashing? Liked your post in until I read that.

Reaction Score
UCONN can get P5 QB it wants but if you don’t have the coach to develop the kid it don’t matter!! Spanos is a quality coach but they need an OC, QB and RB coach that is ready for the FBS level. They are probably great guys but right now they are not ready for the level they’re coaching at. Stop being a dictator until you win above 500!!!! Put quality FBS coaches in place and let them do there job. Hold RE and the coaches accountable not the players the talent is there. I played all levels of football and was taught to go with what I see not what I think or a hunch when it comes to playing the game. I’m disappointed in what I’m seeing not in what I think. I won’t be surprised if quit a few quality players are gone next season due to the lack of opportunity and their development. If they stay something has to change or there will be more of the same.
Problem isn't that UCONN isn't attractive destination to coordinators and coaches, it's the fact that the UCONN refuses to pay for quality coaches that keeps a lot of the talent away. Up the assistant pool and watch what happens.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
... but it looked like football for large stretches of the game. The future looks bright for many of our guys. Mensah, Coyle, etc.

We'll need our QBs to grow, no doubt about it. But there's growth in the youngsters and I think that next year will look quite a bit more positive than this year...
We need to recruit solid O linemen like old school Edsall

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We need to recruit solid O linemen like old school Edsall

The O Line has to get better, but they aren't the main cause of concern for us. The QBs have had time. The RBs are putting up numbers.

We need a starting QB pronto...

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
The O Line has to get better, but they aren't the main cause of concern for us. The QBs have had time. The RBs are putting up numbers.

YOU!

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
Not sure we could fit “ Uconndan97” across the back of the jersey though

Reaction Score

Anyone supporting Edsall can factually say that the entire team has improved over last year except for the QB position which has fallen off a cliff. If Pindell had another year we'd probably be going bowling this year.

Given that Peart will be our only key loss off this years team (hopefully) maybe Edsall is slowly building us a competitive team. Chef Edsall is using the slow cooker.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If Jack gets time he can make throws, but he is not good moving around throwing the ball and he has trouble reading defenses and blitzes. That is to be expected, and if things went well this year he would have redshirted to watch and learn.

Sadly Mike isn't the quarterback we were hoping for and Steve was injured after playing a heck of a game

Reaction Score
RE is a stubborn, prideful loser who is convinced he is the only guy in the room with the answer yet consistently comes up with a failing grade. Ergo running out Lashlee, keeping Crocker, appointing an OL coach as OC, not hiring a QB coach, leaving quality players on the pine, recruiting terribly on D, allowing the OL to go backwards, and seemingly incapable of taking advantage of the transfer system like every other quality P6 team that has stacked their programs. Instead, he hunts the tundra, controls everything and produces certified garbage. The guy is past his time, not innovative, inflexible, and uninspiring. Lest we forget, he had all the tools at Maryland and still it up. I don’t know if it is wise to turn him out or give him 1 year. Either way, I think we struggle and it’s another sheet show season ahead of us.

Reaction Score
There is a lot to be said for waiting until Dec 2nd but on the flip side almost every game is evidence that Edsall and his staff are clueless. 1st and goal near the end of the half and coming up empty I hope was the last straw for Benedict, Katsoleas, and the BOT. UConn was clearly unprepared for what the Navy defense was doing. What worries me more is many of the players saw this as well, and transfers will happen if he is not let go or honorably steps down after Dec 2nd. UConn needs a coach who can make changes in the fly, Edsall is not that coach. Uconn still has a kid who can play QB and not be rattled by blitzing corners every play, but that kid is now playing tight end. Put Rose in at QB until Steven Krajewski is ready. People forget Rose was recruited by several FBS schools to play QB. With the QB situation being fairly desperate now with Steven Krajewski's injury, desperate times call for some desperate measures that possibly might work. Any creative minded coach would have had Rose taking snaps in practice weeks ago.

Lol you do realize Rose was about 10th QB recruit on those teams boards right? That’s why he chose UConn.

Reaction Score

again in the minority on the board but I agree on o line, they are more than adequate.

Reaction Score
Lol you do realize Rose was about 10th QB recruit on those teams boards right? That’s why he chose UConn.
Rose had offers from NC State, BC, and Maryland as a tight end, and one offer as a QB from Syracuse. When he signed with us I recall the coaching staff saying they were not sure if he would be a QB or TE, but it changed to TE fairly quickly. He definitely can throw, he proved that at Southington. As a tight end various recruiting services ranked him #30 to #56 in the country.

Reaction Score
Rose had offers from NC State, BC, and Maryland as a tight end, and one offer as a QB from Syracuse. When he signed with us I recall the coaching staff saying they were not sure if he would be a QB or TE, but it changed to TE fairly quickly. He definitely can throw, he proved that at Southington. As a tight end various recruiting services ranked him #30 to #56 in the country.

I think his best position is tight end, he has a great frame for the position and is athletic. He gets better and better, great to see.

Reaction Score
I think his best position is tight end, he has a great frame for the position and is athletic. He gets better and better, great to see.
Apparently, some 99% of FBS schools who recruited Jay knew his best opportunity to play, contribute and succeed was as a TE. Somehow, they might have known a wee bit about football. Then, there was the then sorryexcuse staff and disastrous Diaco who threw out the potential to possibly play QB to entice Jay to sign.

Indeed, Jay always was, is and likely always will be a TE. And, he continues to improve at his legit position. Ideally, we all get to see his continued TE growth, contributions and great success the remainder of this season and further down the road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom