Overmatched, But... | The Boneyard

Overmatched, But...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
... but it looked like football for large stretches of the game. The future looks bright for many of our guys. Mensah, Coyle, etc.

We'll need our QBs to grow, no doubt about it. But there's growth in the youngsters and I think that next year will look quite a bit more positive than this year...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I can see it now...Someday son you will see uconn football only lose by 14 points to Navy. Relish those moments son...relish them.

Nah. Turnovers and not punching in that TD to end the half made this score look ridiculous.

We moved the ball. Kevin went for 100, even when they knew he was coming. Cam Ross looks like he can catch anything within 10 yards of him.

We need composure at the QB spot and we can't have this side arm stuff happen anymore. Hopefully Krajewski is the answer when he's healthy again, or recruit a different QB, or teach Z not to throw that way. That one spot fixes a lot of what ails us...

Reaction Score
... but it looked like football for large stretches of the game. The future looks bright for many of our guys. Mensah, Coyle, etc.

We'll need our QBs to grow, no doubt about it. But there's growth in the youngsters and I think that next year will look quite a bit more positive than this year...
Overmatched, and Edsall is still the coach. Lol

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We.haven't had an fbs.level quarterback in years. I don't know why we can't get one.

Reaction Score
Navy runs the triple option because they don't have the athletes to run a pro set offense and produce a winning record.

Yet they "overmatched" us. They were stronger, faster, blocked and tackled better than us. Think about that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The score looked ridiculous because they are a good FBS football team and we are a middling FCS football team.

The score looked ridiculous because we turned the ball over 3 times in the first half and didn't convert from 2 yards out. We're go into the locker room down 28-10 instead of being pretty even. We ended with 21 first downs and more time of possession. But the second half was inevitable because of the first half issues...

Reaction Score
The score looked ridiculous because they are a good FBS football team and we are a middling FCS football team.
We played Navy tougher in the 70s when they were I-A and we were "officially" I-AA.

Reaction Score
Navy runs the triple option because they don't have the athletes to run a pro set offense and produce a winning record.

Yet they "overmatched" us. They were stronger, faster, blocked and tackled better than us. Think about that.
This is one game for sure where Randy Edsall and his staff were completely out coached. Edsall and Spanos had no answer for the aggressive Navy defense. The blitzing corners clearly rattled Jack Zergiotis.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Three turnovers, three big plays kill any team.

Lots of work to do on tackling and stopping the delayed blitz that killed UConn all evening.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Then stop following them then. Whaler Jr,

Your logic is unassailable -- no wonder you're an optimist.

Let's think it through together. With which part of my post do you disagree -- that Navy is going to a bowl or that we wouldn't make the FCS playoffs?

Maybe you need to hold onto shreds of hope. I'm practical. I'm sure we'll get better, and I'm not going anywhere. But this score didn't surprise me because this is what I'd expect Navy to do to CCSU, and a 7 game series between us and CCSU would go right down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Lol @ justifying this embarrassment by saying we were right in it if only we didn’t turn it over so much and punched it in from the 2. Yeah, bad teams turn the ball over and don’t convert on their opportunities. That’s what makes them bad teams. It’s not like it was just some flip of the coin bad luck.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Lol @ justifying this embarrassment by saying we were right in it if only we didn’t turn it over so much and punched it in from the 2. Yeah, bad teams turn the ball over and don’t convert on their opportunities. That’s what makes them bad teams. It’s not like it was just some flip of the coin bad luck.

No, bad QBs do that. Right now, we don't have a QB.

Feel free to blame Edsall on that. I not saying that he bears no responsibility for coming into a season with zero QBs that had taken an FBS snap. It's on him. But the flip side is that Pindell or Shirreffs under center would have made this game look wildly different...

Reaction Score

Feel free to blame Edsall on that. I not saying that he bears no responsibility for coming into a season with zero QBs that had taken an FBS snap. It's on him. But the flip side is that Pindell or Shirreffs under center would have made this game look wildly different...
And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

I can appreciate your dedication to finding a silver lining. It certainly can’t be easy. But we suck. Like really really bad. By any and every metric you can think of. We are a horrible, horrible team.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

I can appreciate your dedication to finding a silver lining. It certainly can’t be easy. But we suck. Like really really bad. By any and every metric you can think of. We are a horrible, horrible team.

I don't care what your aunt is packing. The QB position in football is unique to most of sports; the decision maker on the field. And right now, we don't have one. Plain and simple. There's no silver lining around it. It's the reason we didn't beat Houston. It's the reason we didn't beat Illinois.

But if you think that we don't have playmakers on both sides of the ball this year that we didn't have last year, you're not being honest. As horrible as we were last year, Pindell actually made it look better than it was if you can believe that.

The team is better. The QB is much much worse...

Reaction Score

Feel free to blame Captain Smith for hitting an ice berg.

Reaction Score
I wonder how this season would of went with our 3 start at the helm. The only one at the position that was ranked with other offers and other schools still looking at him until he committed. He had offers from Syracuse marshal fau Mercer ga state and I believe one other. During his playoff run got on FSU auburn and even Georgia’s boards. Google him and you’ll see. He stuck with the team that came early committed and they all backed off. Not saying he would of seen the field there early but to be on those schools radar has to mean something. He should of been qb1 from the start and I feel we would of stole the Illinois and Houston game and possibly one more.

Reaction Score
My point being let’s stop playing non ranked canadian qbs that had no other offers or looks. This isn’t hockey. We are a few solid pieces away from a decent team. I’m excited to see what Steven Krajewski and the receiving core can do the rest of this year if he comes back and next year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom