Outrebounded | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Outrebounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
When the front court has been our strength in the past, we would win the rebounding battle but have a lower shooting percentage from the outside. But we won games and rebounds is an easy stat to point to and say hey look we won because we out rebounded them. Now if we have a higher 3 PT% and win but get out rebounded, people will say you can't always shoot better than the other team. But hey, when you have better shooters than the other team, you will generally out shoot them. Not to mention that we will most likely beat teams in steals and blocks and winning loose balls on sheer effort. It really helps to balance things out.

Rebounding is just about the only thing we haven't done at least decently at and it's pretty easy to improve at through hustle and technique. Those front court dominated teams were never going to get better at shooting. This back court dominated team with an undersized front court can at least improve its rebounding a little bit. If they can get it to the point where we are only being out rebounded against good teams by 4 or 5 (so the talent/size gap is bigger but our technique improves), we can win a lot of games, IMO.

Reaction Score
Rebounding (as with any single stat) is overrated. During one of our NC years, we were horrid free throw shooters, but it didn't cost us.

Wait, when did I miss the good free throw shooting team? I feel robbed not having to wish we hit at least one.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
why does a fan of a team with the worst sweet sixteen record in the country visit out board again?

does he know the Cuse program is in our rear view mirror?

Reaction Score
It is what it is bro.

Vermont outrebounding you is not good.

God you guys make me puke

Have you ever played a sport besides tag when you were 8?

Uconn 990411, are you 20 or something? I have ties older than you dick

Facts are facts. SouthTampaBill is right! We got outrebounded by Vermont. Its and Issue going forward! Not sure why negative responses.

Pls lets be real ! 2-0 is awesome. Yes, KO will focus on it! But Emeka is not coming back. We will get beat on the boards and if our guards don't avg 40 pts a game i think we could struggle in BE play.

I'm happy, but comments are right on.

Reaction Score
Outrebounded by Vermont 36-28 and on the offensive boards 16-11

Jeez
You know Vermont beat Syracuse in the tournament a few years ago right? And you didn't mention that? It's like you're not even trying anymore man.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another post our rebounding would get better if they kept their feet on the ground and just played good old fashioned defense. Unlike years of the past, they don't have a shot blocking presence so I don't think they should be looking to do much of that. As expected you leave your feet, they miss the shot you are now out of position to rebound and it's really that simple. If 2-3 guys are looking to block shots then how can you rebound? I would love to see the ole hand-in-the-face D and turn and box........think we could even out the deficit just by doing that.......infatuation with the blocked shot can be a killer.......

And DMW even though STB may be right, his insight is not regarded as meaningful because he's a 6'6" 460LB dope!

Reaction Score
Have you every given any consideration to the idea of perhaps acquiring a life?
Do NotFeed The Trolls.

Look people thought we were gonna dye off this year- if we have any success at all the trolls will come back and if you feed them they will come back again.

Please. Do not feed the trolls.

Reaction Score
Rebounding advantage basically comes down to extra possessions. Same thing with turnover margin. You can offset some of the rebound margin with forcing more turnovers. Taken together UConn had 10 fewer possessions than MSU and 1 fewer possession than Vermont.

UConn had 7 more blocks than MSU which basically negated their advantage to just 3 extra possessions. UConn had 4 more blocks than VT which effectively gave UConn an advantage.

Being better on the boards is the quickest and easiest (for bigger and slower teams) to earn extra possessions. UConn is small and quick. They will just have to work harder and force the other team into turnovers to get back some of what they lose on the boards.

Reaction Score
You know Vermont beat Syracuse in the tournament a few years ago right? And you didn't mention that? It's like you're not even trying anymore man.

And we won the National Championship in 1999 ? What does what Vermont beating Syr a few years ago have to do with this years team and the issue with rebounding ?

Reaction Score
Rebounding advantage basically comes down to extra possessions. Same thing with turnover margin. You can offset some of the rebound margin with forcing more turnovers. Taken together UConn had 10 fewer possessions than MSU and 1 fewer possession than Vermont.

UConn had 7 more blocks than MSU which basically negated their advantage to just 3 extra possessions. UConn had 4 more blocks than VT which effectively gave UConn an advantage.

Being better on the boards is the quickest and easiest (for bigger and slower teams) to earn extra possessions. UConn is small and quick. They will just have to work harder and force the other team into turnovers to get back some of what they lose on the boards.

While those numbers are good gib, some of those blocks turn into lay ups for the other team or possessions again.......a little deceiving but well taken.........I like what I see but this is not built to be a blocking machine, would prefer more boxing out.......but who's to argue?!?!?

Reaction Score
It is what it is bro.

Vermont outrebounding you is not good.

God you guys make me puke

Have you ever played a sport besides tag when you were 8?

Uconn 990411, are you 20 or something? I have ties older than you dick

Jackass

Reaction Score
Facts are facts. SouthTampaBill is right! We got outrebounded by Vermont. Its and Issue going forward! Not sure why negative responses.

Pls lets be real ! 2-0 is awesome. Yes, KO will focus on it! But Emeka is not coming back. We will get beat on the boards and if our guards don't avg 40 pts a game i think we could struggle in BE play.

I'm happy, but comments are right on.

STB wasn't coming here to initiate a reasoned argument about our frontcourt strength. He was coming here to provoke. Stick around long enough and you'll pick up on these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom