Outrebounded | The Boneyard

Outrebounded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Um, rebounding was clearly going to be a weakness this year. We start three guards, Daniels and Olander. There will be days we get crushed.

Also, don't compare offensive rebounds to offensive rebounds - there's little to be gleaned from that without full context (ie, how many shots were missed by each team)). Compare percentages - what percentage of your own missed shots did you get back, and what percentage did your opponents get back.

And even then you need to allow some wiggle room for blocks - if you block someone's shot and they get it back, that's an offensive rebound, but not a sign that you did a bad job controlling your boards. Not to mention garbage time stats.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Clearly, rebounding is an area that needs improvement...but boxing out is also one of Coach Ollie's key points of emphasis. Eventually, they will get it and the rebounding differential will narrow. Given how thin our front court is and how short our two primary guards are, I don't see us winning too many rebounding contests against strong opponents but if they narrow the differential our other strong points will be able to make up for it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
ollie will adjust, it's a marathon not a sprint

Reaction Score
Every time we blocked a shot and Vt picked up the loose ball that counts as an offensive rebound for them. Doesn't explain all of them but at least a few.
Also, i didn't see the box score yet, but I was wondering what the FGAs were. I think that's more telling and a more important stat.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
It is what it is bro.

Vermont outrebounding you is not good.

God you guys make me puke

Have you ever played a sport besides tag when you were 8?

Uconn 990411, are you 20 or something? I have ties older than you dick

Reaction Score
It is what it is bro.

Any news on Omar's transfer?

H

Husk-E

It is what it is bro.

Not to engage in name calling but judging by your username and your posts I would assume you are a wrinkly old retired with nothing else better to do with his time then troll on forums full of people that actually care about their team.

caw

Reaction Score
It is what it is bro.

So tell me what is the main goal of playing a sport? I thought it was winning, UConn won a close game against a top 25 team, leading almost wire-to-wire. It also beat a low major by 18.

UConn has been outrebounded both games, and it will probably cost UConn some games this year, but UConn has also won both games so far and has found ways to make up for the rebounding differential by blocking shots and making steals.

Honestly, did you expect UConn to outrebound teams when UConn starts 3 guards and a SF at four positions?

Reaction Score
Vermont got two offensive rebounds in the last 15 seconds down by 18. In other words, bfd stats.

Vermont also had as many turnovers as baskets, while we barely turned it over at all. Typically 2/3 of all rebounds go to the defensive team. If you turn the ball over, you aren't shooting - if you aren't shooting, defensive rebounds aren't there to be gotten by the other team.

That said, rebounding is going to be a problem for us all year. Just wasn't a factor tonight.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm starting to believe that rebounding is overrated. Last year, we were +4 per game and went 20-14. This year, we're 2-0 against a ranked team and a good mid-major. I think it's more important to limit turnovers and have good offensive possessions each time down the floor, two things we definitely didn't do well last year. I also think getting away from being the shot-block focused team we have been and instead play solid all-around defense is the way to go. With that said, I'd love to be out-rebounded every game and win them all. Also, it's WHEN you get the rebounds that counts, not how many.

By the way, don't make SouthTampaBill angry. Remember, he is 6' 6" and 460.

Reaction Score
Look, it's a real concern. Getting outrebounded by MSU is one thing. Getting outrebounded by VT is more concerning. We might as well get used to it as many have pointed out we knew this would be a challenging aspect of the game and indeed it is proving to be so. The guys will just have to compensate in other areas because the deficiency on the boards is not likely to change.

Reaction Score
The team compensated being outrebounded by winning. Not easy to do having only one legitimate big. Credit the coach and his gameplan, knowing how to win with a rebounding disadvatage, irrespective of the opponent.​

THC

Reaction Score
South Tampa Bill is the biggest insufferable ever. I suppose if I lived south of Gandy (SOG) I'd be miserable too.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to believe that rebounding is overrated. Last year, we were +4 per game and went 20-14. This year, we're 2-0 against a ranked team and a good mid-major. I think it's more important to limit turnovers and have good offensive possessions each time down the floor, two things we definitely didn't do well last year. I also think getting away from being the shot-block focused team we have been and instead play solid all-around defense is the way to go. With that said, I'd love to be out-rebounded every game and win them all. Also, it's WHEN you get the rebounds that counts, not how many.

By the way, don't make SouthTampaBill angry. Remember, he is 6' 6" and 460.

agree with limiting turnovers and getting good possessions, I would say that rebounding numbers can be overrated... as people have already pointed out, UVM missed a lot of shots, had some shots blocked, and had some moot offensive rebounds at the end of the game. Definitely don't think rebounding itself is overrated though. If we had not given up a bunch of second chance opportunities to sparty we would've won that game by double figures (and could've lost if we didn't get out to that big lead). When you just get bullied like we did in that game, it's going to be a problem more often than not. Let's face it, we just don't have much of a frontcourt presence. Tyler and DeAndre will do their best, but against some big east teams it won't be enough. That's why our backcourt has to be HUGE every game.

Reaction Score
we took six more shots than Vt. and shot 45 percent against their 30 percent. You hold a team to 30 percent shooting and you a most likely going to win.

Reaction Score
Rebounding (as with any single stat) is overrated. During one of our NC years, we were horrid free throw shooters, but it didn't cost us.

Ask Tom Moore about rebounding. They are always among the nation's leaders in rebounding/Off. Rebounding. And they have a grand total of zero NEC titles to show for it. Poor shooting teams always have inflated OR stats.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Their FG % Defense has really helped close the rebound gaps. Force bad shots every time, it's not really gonna matter how many times they get the rebounds. Ollie stresses effort, effort keeps FG % lowwww.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom