out-of-bounds call | Page 2 | The Boneyard

out-of-bounds call

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
But you would think in the regionals and the final four, we would have the best refs in there.

They do have the best refs there. As you know, the NCAA has no power over officials until the tournament. Until then, it's on the conferences to hire and give feedback to officials. Coaches/programs/conferences submit recommendations for the pool of refs the NCAA will select from. Once the first series of crews is selected, each game is reviewed and those considered to be the best move forward the next round.

Just like the men's game, the refs make mistakes. Possible solution:
Unionize them and make it a full time gig supervised by the NCAA. That would require a ton of money and organization.

Alternate solutions:
Bring in video review.

Fan pleasing solution:
Every team gets to assign one player that gets six fouls, not five. That way stars are protected, even when they mess up.

Fan challenging suggestion.
Play a game where fans in the first two rows have clickers. When they see a foul, they click. X-number of clicks prompt a whistle/foul.

Reaction Score
The poor L. player was trying to foul and couldn't get the call !Head bangHead bang
It also appeared to me on one of our inbound passes to Pheesa from under the basket that she was hacked by the defender resulting in Pheesa losing the ball but the refs and Kara felt it was a great defensive play.
Caveat: I need to watch the replay to make sure that I am not blowing smoke...

Oh, this happened in the steal or foul time of the game...the last minute.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about that Bear Hug on CD late, that was called a jump ball?
The rule should be ( but it isn't ), you can only have a tie ball while facing the offensive player, NOT from a "wrap around from behind". It should be automatic foul whenever a player wraps around. Take away difficult judgement decisions with easier, more clearly defined rules that require less judgment.

I have also seen players "clip" the offensive player from behind while going for a lose ball, and not getting called. It should also be an automatic foul ( it is in football, for crying out loud ).

Reaction Score
Another refereeing practice...how often when the calls obviously seem to be going one way in the first half (like number of fouls per team, touch vs. mugging), that is the direct opposite in the second half.
Coincidence????

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I thought that the Pheesa o.o.b. play looked odd live. Leave it to the BY and Biff were on the case.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I don't have my voice. If I had something in my hands I would have broke my t.v. Horrible call!! Anyone who said Referees don't cause a team to lose, are totally wrong.

Reaction Score
Despite that blown call, both games today were very well officiated with the players deciding the outcome. It make you wonder why all of the tournament games can't be officiated like this instead of refs blowing their whistles on every possession.

Reaction Score
Should Geno have demanded a Review? It would also have helped if Napheesa was vocal that she wasn't out of bounds. Napheesa more or less accepted that she was out of bounds.

That play is not reviewable, even in the last two minutes, under NCAA rules. Napheesa probably wasn't vocal because she likely was not looking down at her foot at the moment when she theoretically went OB, but it wouldn't have helped anyway since they can't review it and they certainly won't change it because a player disagrees.

Reaction Score
So if you're the ref there, how do you blow a call like that one? She either steps out of bounds, in which case, if you see it, you blow the whistle. Or she does not step out of bounds, in which case you do not blow the whistle. It's inconceivable to me that a phantom call could be made honestly in error in an instance like that.

No. Just a bad ref who wasn't looking at the feet and then made a guess.

Reaction Score
My wife said nothing about the out of bounds play. I got pissed. "That wasn't close," were my exact words. I still knew UConn was going to win. I am still firmly on the bandwagon.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did this bad call get replayed? I really don't remember seeing it. I just assumed it was the right call. The announcers didn't even comment there was a bad call.

Reaction Score
Did this bad call get replayed? I really don't remember seeing it. I just assumed it was the right call. The announcers didn't even comment there was a bad call.
It wasn't subject to review. ESPN showed a replay of the ref calling Pheesa out of bounds without showing the missed call.

Reaction Score
That play is not reviewable, even in the last two minutes, under NCAA rules. Napheesa probably wasn't vocal because she likely was not looking down at her foot at the moment when she theoretically went OB, but it wouldn't have helped anyway since they can't review it and they certainly won't change it because a player disagrees.
And obviously neither of the other 2 refs was watching that specific action. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It wasn't subject to review. ESPN showed a replay of the ref calling Pheesa out of bounds without showing the missed call.
Surprised this was not a play ESPN could show. None of the announcers commented?

Reaction Score
Surprised this was not a play ESPN could show. None of the announcers commented?
None of them questioned the call. Amin said, "let's look at the replay". But it showed the ref & not Pheesa's feet. Then it was ignored.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I don't have my voice. If I had something in my hands I would have broke my t.v. Horrible call!! Anyone who said Referees don't cause a team to lose, are totally wrong.
I’ve got no voice from that call either but my wine is making it more bearable. I figure that since I was one of the cheering fans at the game that I earned it :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom