out-of-bounds call | Page 3 | The Boneyard

out-of-bounds call

Reaction Score
That was one of those things. If they DON'T show the replay, you know what really happened.
I think everyone just missed it. Without going back to the replay, I'm guessing Adam and Kara were yammering on about something, and Louisville inbounded it and started into their offense pretty quickly. There really wasn't a stoppage where you'd typically see a replay.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Question. Are the refs taught, if you don't see it, don't call it, or if you missed it but from what you did see it sort of looked like a foul or an out of bounds, call it. Seems to me if you did not see it you should not call it, and if so I would would love to see the press grill the ref with that picture and ask "how can you miss it that badly?" Maybe if the refs and the press had to sit in a room together and watch it, the refs might try to get better. But maybe I am a little harsh, I have only tried refereeing in Little league and youth soccer, and if we get too hard on the refs, we won't have any. But you would think in the regionals and the final four, we would have the best refs in there.
The last line is a hoot, you did see last year's final 4? One thing that always gets me is when the official with the worst line of sight in a play runs in and emphatically make a call, which while looking across the court through many bodies, they cannot possibly see, while the official right there does nothing. Going back to last year's final and this year's out of bounds bad call I think KLSs 3rd or 4th foul was a charge where the ND player was standing at least a foot out of bounds

Reaction Score
I also as many watched a replay of the call. The ref got it wrong. Louisville was able to score on the following play.
Having said....its good that the final score was greater than by one basket.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You can plainly see that her foot is indeed clearly on the line. Of course it was not the out of bounds line, but then you can't expect them to get every detail right. .:rolleyes:
I imagine that's probably what happened. She saw the foot "on the line" and it just clicked in her head and she blew the whistle. Next time down the floor she probably looked at the line and got a "did I?...no....maybe???"

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The out of bounds call goes into the Bad Call Hall of Fame.

Usually on a questionable call the replay at least shows what the ref was looking at that lead to the call in real time (like the CD tie-up). Refing is not an easy job sometimes. But calls like the the o.o.b. that are obvious from the cheap seats... BCHF. When no-calls are questioned by coaches refs sometimes say, "if I don't see it, I can't call it." Good fundamental refing strategy, I'd say. Stuff like this is so difficult to understand... also makes me wonder what the actual rules are regarding insisting on a review. If this had happened in front of the UConn bench, maybe that would have happened. Thank God that didn't cost UConn the game.

Congrats Maj Forsberg, you win the coveted Magoo award, and your call is inducted into the BCHF!!

Reaction Score
The out of bounds call goes into the Bad Call Hall of Fame.

Usually on a questionable call the replay at least shows what the ref was looking at that lead to the call in real time (like the CD tie-up). Refing is not an easy job sometimes. But calls like the the o.o.b. that are obvious from the cheap seats... BCHF. When no-calls are questioned by coaches refs sometimes say, "if I don't see it, I can't call it." Good fundamental refing strategy, I'd say. Stuff like this is so difficult to understand... also makes me wonder what the actual rules are regarding insisting on a review. If this had happened in front of the UConn bench, maybe that would have happened. Thank God that didn't cost UConn the game.

Congrats Maj Forsberg, you win the coveted Magoo award, and your call is inducted into the BCHF!!
the "Good Thing" :confused:;) is it did not impact the outcome of the game...just the final MOV. The potential though is a terrible call like this COULD have changed the outcome of the game :mad:... UCONN could have been robbed of the victory and a trip to the FF..:eek::eek:. then it would have caused an incredible outrage, out cry, law suits (ref, N.O Saints getting robbed in NFL Championship game). No ref/umpire/official is ever going to be perfect... but there has to be a better way to make sure there aren't really bad calls like this. :(:mad:

Reaction Score
None of them questioned the call. Amin said, "let's look at the replay". But it showed the ref & not Pheesa's feet. Then it was ignored.
You can be sure that the people in the ESPN truck saw their replay and then used the announcer's earpieces to tell all three "oops, now move on as if nothing wrong just happened". Guaranteed.

Reaction Score
It wasn't subject to review. ESPN showed a replay of the ref calling Pheesa out of bounds without showing the missed call.
What's funny is even in that replay I was like she would need to do a split to get out of bounds from where she was standing. : - )

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
the "Good Thing" :confused:;) is it did not impact the outcome of the game...just the final MOV. The potential though is a terrible call like this COULD have changed the outcome of the game :mad:... UCONN could have been robbed of the victory and a trip to the FF..:eek::eek:. then it would have caused an incredible outrage, out cry, law suits (ref, N.O Saints getting robbed in NFL Championship game). No ref/umpire/official is ever going to be perfect... but there has to be a better way to make sure there aren't really bad calls like this. :(:mad:

it's disappointing that this has apparently not gotten any attention anywhere else in the known universe. it did happen, yes?

Reaction Score
Certainly a lot of inconsistencies in the refereeing yesterday but we may have caught a break with Lou's step-back 3 with about 2:35 left in Q2 when she took an extra step before she hit that shot. Walz called it out to the ref to no avail.

Reaction Score
Maj Forsberg...one of the top refs. She will probably get to call a final four game. She called a great game, but that call was horrendous!
Another great Forsberg miss: at the 4:04 mark of the third quarter Lou misses a 3PT attempt from the top of the key, being well short. But on the replay, she is being fouled by Asia. As much so, if not more, than when Lou "fouled" the shooter during the Buffalo game. The score at the time was 52-45 and the 3 FTs probably would have helped. But Maj was covering the shot and let Asia get away with one.
On her back up the court, Lou pointed out that Asia had hit her forearm during the shot.
Yup, Maj will certainly ref in the FF or NC.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
it's disappointing that this has apparently not gotten any attention anywhere else in the known universe. it did happen, yes?

That's because UConn won, to the disappointment of most, and the call is a non-story. Had we lost there would likely be a significant poop storm.

Reaction Score
To sorta beat a dead horse...at about the 7:22 mark of the 4th quarter, Asia Durr made a pass to Evans in the corner. She attempted a basketball move but wait...Maj blows her whistle and points to the end line, saying she stepped on it. Um, on replay it doesn't appear that she was on it but was a tad closer than Phee was when Maj made up that call on Phee. Payback?

I tried to add a screenshot but it gives me a notification that the file is too large for the server.

Reaction Score
I was yelling at the TV. So bizarre ESPN did not replay this. Finally found this on twitter.
)

Reaction Score
So what? Bad calls get replayed all the time. ESPN swallowed their whistle here and I don't understand why.

I understand why. ESPN covered up the botched call. The director in their control room saw the daylight between Collier's foot and the baseline, and immediately decided to give us that ridiculous replay showing the ref making the call, instead of the relevant game play itself.

On the replay we got, wasn't it was hilarious hearing Adam Amin "call" the actions of Maj Forsberg gesturing at the baseline, once he realized that the replay was not going to include the actual play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can be sure that the people in the ESPN truck saw their replay and then used the announcer's earpieces to tell all three "oops, now move on as if nothing wrong just happened". Guaranteed.
yeah, I never get to see a replay of a play I think is questionable. And if we do see a replay Kara always agrees with how it is called. Seems like they are going out of their way to not question the refs.

And I'm in the minority here, but I think Crystal got tied up fair and square, no foul, imo.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
yeah, I never get to see a replay of a play I think is questionable. And if we do see a replay Kara always agrees with how it is called. Seems like they are going out of their way to not question the refs.

And I'm in the minority here, but I think Crystal got tied up fair and square, no foul, imo.
No, that replay they showed in Albany, they had her head, neck and arm, no ball

Reaction Score
That was the right call in my opinion. Crystal didn’t do herself any favors by not dribbling.
Agreed, CD has had a few poor decisions of late but still a great player.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

In the Notre Dame-Stanford game, one of the ESPN team did call out a blatant missed call: Young kicked a Stanford pass out in the open, and when it popped up into her hands, took off for an easy ND basket. The announcer was incredulous: "How did they [refs] not call that kick; how did they miss that?"

Reaction Score

Even if the Louisville player had the ball, throwing Crystal down onto the court is a clear violation, flagrant foul in fact. If they were both on the floor, then possibly no foul but when both are standing and one ends up on the court and the other is standing, smiling and has her thumbs up indicating a jump ball, then something is clearly wrong with that picture! Unless you are an ESPN announcer/analyst.

Reaction Score
That was the right call in my opinion. Crystal didn’t do herself any favors by not dribbling.
Which has nothing to do with her getting mugged at center court! If she had dribbled, then the foul would have been made on her intentionally/unintentionally.

Reaction Score
Even if the Louisville player had the ball, throwing Crystal down onto the court is a clear violation, flagrant foul in fact. If they were both on the floor, then possibly no foul but when both are standing and one ends up on the court and the other is standing, smiling and has her thumbs up indicating a jump ball, then something is clearly wrong with that picture! Unless you are an ESPN announcer/analyst.

I have to disagree there. I've seen numerous times in my daughter's games, what you have stated. Not only is it not flagrant, it's not a foul. Now do I think that play was, yes. But if both players have their hands on the ball and only gets flung to the ground, nope not a foul.

Reaction Score
In the Notre Dame-Stanford game, one of the ESPN team did call out a blatant missed call: Young kicked a Stanford pass out in the open, and when it popped up into her hands, took off for an easy ND basket. The announcer was incredulous: "How did they [refs] not call that kick; how did they miss that?"
That was Debbie Antonelli.

Lately, the Kara/Rebecca/Adam trio has been annoying me. Especially Kara. I used to really like listening to her, and usually learned something insightful, but lately it’s been a rough go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom