Out Coached.......AGAIN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Out Coached.......AGAIN

Reaction Score
Just mute him. He says the same thing, over and over, and offers no real insight or conversational ability.

You’re mad bro and so is your buddy Tuna. You guys sound ridiculous with your responses. Ollie is a scrub. He gets no credit for 2014. If you feel differently, then we will have to agree to disagree.

I continue repeating myself because you guys can’t answer the damn questions. Instead you guys make ridiculous comments.

Reaction Score
If Ollie is fired I'd be so mad. There is no way firing Ollie would do this program good. They'd probably lose Akinjo. Not to mention guys who would transfer. You think the roster is bad now? If Ollie is fired itd be a dumpster fire.

No one on the team can shoot. All the big men are raw and undersized. Gilbert is out. I agree the offense isn't good but they're playing 3 on 5. Anderson is useless. No big man is any good.

The conference is hurting recruiting. I'm willing to give Ollie a few more yrs to right the ship.

Are you trying to say that if Ollie is fired we will miss out on the #105 ranked prospect in the country...The horror.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Facts! No way I’m embarrassing myself. Y’all should be embarrassed.
We can disagree on KO getting no credit for the NC. They had just come off sanctions (Calhouns issues, not his) and yes he had mostly Calhouns roster, but Brimah was his, and made the play of the tournament against St Joes to keep them alive. Deandre Daniels barely played for Cahoun and developed into a very good college player under Ollie. Ollie has had to deal with sanctions and moving to a worse conference. None of which were his doing.

Just for the sake of conversation...what would you do differently on offense with this flawed roster? No one can make a jump shot.
I know you'll say he recruited this team, and you're right. That is his fault, but I don't think it's a fireable offense. I do like that he shook things up and got Chill in there to help with the recruiting, which seems to be doing better. UConn has been extremely unlucky in this regard. Vance wanted to be a superstar which he isn't close to ready for. Durham leaving is an enigma. They lost close calls on Diallo and Carey.

The other point I'll make about developing players...yes part of it is on Ollie, but part of it has to be on the player as well. Ollie can only do so much for them. Guys have improved over their time with Ollie. Facey improved and to a lesser extent Nolan did too. Ollie also hasn't had the luxury of having a highly recruited big either, which is one of our biggest needs.

Like I've said elsewhere on this board, I think Ollie deserves some scrutiny, but should not be fired. The repercussions of firing him would be so bad. I'm not ready for that. I don't think any of you are either.

Reaction Score
So your take is: "All these players are trash but we can't fire KO because then we'd lose them."

Okey doke.

We had a top 10 recruiting class literally last year. The year before that we had a top-30 recruit, a top 80 recruit and two of the top 3 postgrad transfers available.

And for some reason none of them improve, and the team just keeps getting worse.

I wonder what the common denominator is.

Why does it have to be one or the other. The conference AND the coach are both problems.

Reaction Score
Like I've said elsewhere on this board, I think Ollie deserves some scrutiny, but should not be fired. The repercussions of firing him would be so bad. I'm not ready for that. I don't think any of you are either.
Anyone who thinks firing him mid-year is a good idea should be shot out of a cannon.

At the end of the year? We can have some debate. I think it's less likely than everyone else, but that's not going to have terrible repercussions.

Reaction Score
We can disagree on KO getting no credit for the NC. They had just come off sanctions (Calhouns issues, not his) and yes he had mostly Calhouns roster, but Brimah was his, and made the play of the tournament against St Joes to keep them alive. Deandre Daniels barely played for Cahoun and developed into a very good college player under Ollie. Ollie has had to deal with sanctions and moving to a worse conference. None of which were his doing.

Just for the sake of conversation...what would you do differently on offense with this flawed roster? No one can make a jump shot.
I know you'll say he recruited this team, and you're right. That is his fault, but I don't think it's a fireable offense. I do like that he shook things up and got Chill in there to help with the recruiting, which seems to be doing better. UConn has been extremely unlucky in this regard. Vance wanted to be a superstar which he isn't close to ready for. Durham leaving is an enigma. They lost close calls on Diallo and Carey.

The other point I'll make about developing players...yes part of it is on Ollie, but part of it has to be on the player as well. Ollie can only do so much for them. Guys have improved over their time with Ollie. Facey improved and to a lesser extent Nolan did too. Ollie also hasn't had the luxury of having a highly recruited big either, which is one of our biggest needs.

Please. Tell me what Kevin Ollie has actually done well over the past 3 1/2 seasons. Do you not realize that the average margin of defeat this season is 19 points in the 6 losses? Or that he started 3 guys last game that didn't score a single point? How bad does it need to get before some of you see this for what it is?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I might add that executing on both sides of the court is a whole lot easier when you have a bunch of returning players with significant experience over a roster of newbies, but the dumpster fire crowd doesn't like that thinking either

You run off a bunch of players then ask for patience due to the lack of returning players. That's like the Menendez Brothers asking for clemency because they're orphans.

Reaction Score
Please. Tell me what Kevin Ollie has actually done well over the past 3 1/2 seasons. Do you not realize that the average margin of defeat this season is 19 points in the 6 losses? Or that he started 3 guys last game that didn't score a single point? How bad does it need to get before some of you see this for what it is?
Personally, I think you need to keep some things in consideration.

First, this board has always been prone to hysterics. So I think a lot of us see the posters here who are calling for extremes or who immediately jumped off the bandwagon (like, two years ago) with suspicion. Those same people often jumped on and off the wagon throughout the entirety of the Calhoun-era, sometimes multiple times in the same season--seasons that ended in National Championships. So, there's that.

Second, you say 3.5 years for a reason. It cuts out a national title. National championships are hard to come by, and you can't really luck your way into them. That has bought KO a grace period in many people's eyes, and it certainly should have. Stability is a good thing.

Third, I think a lot of people thought 2016 was a disappointment, but an understandable on in many ways: there were a ton of new parts KO had to integrate, and while he didn't do it as well as we all would have liked, we weren't on the bubble like many people seem to think, and they won the AAC tournament.

Fourth, last year was a train wreck of injuries. There was a good recruiting class we were excited about, but our PG got injured right away, our 3 did as well. It already had the look of a bad season, and if there weren't injuries and the season went the way it was looking, a lot more of those of us who are more neutral or late to the "time to move on" party would have decisively done so.

Fifth, the team lost a lot of players, they didn't seem to like each other, etc, in the off-season. They came into this season with terribly low expectations, as they should have. But KO pulled in some players who didn't seem have bad, and brought in a killer for recruiting purposes. My position then was that if this season showed growth--given all the circumstances--we'd probably be fine with KO going forward. Now, the team looks like a disaster, and the Gilbert injury plays a role in that. But I'm not sure what anyone is seeing now that they couldn't have foreseen in May.

So, all in all, I'm not happy with the state of the program, but realistically it's not as bad as some of the hysterics suggest. I wasn't a fan of how KO was hired, but a title means something, as do injuries. I'm assuming, given the cost of moving on, we'll have KO for another year at minimum, so I'm rooting for the team as is. If, somehow they find the money and move on to a somewhat exciting hire (not Pikeill, but Hurley I can get behind), I wouldn't be upset, though I'd be sad that all the hope I felt about the future of the program from 2013-2016 came to this.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think you need to keep some things in consideration.

First, this board has always been prone to hysterics. So I think a lot of us see the posters here who are calling for extremes or who immediately jumped off the bandwagon (like, two years ago) with suspicion. Those same people often jumped on and off the wagon throughout the entirety of the Calhoun-era, sometimes multiple times in the same season--seasons that ended in National Championships. So, there's that.

Second, you say 3.5 years for a reason. It cuts out a national title. National championships are hard to come by, and you can't really luck your way into them. That has bought KO a grace period in many people's eyes, and it certainly should have. Stability is a good thing.

Third, I think a lot of people thought 2016 was a disappointment, but an understandable on in many ways: there were a ton of new parts KO had to integrate, and while he didn't do it as well as we all would have liked, we weren't on the bubble like many people seem to think, and they won the AAC tournament.

Fourth, last year was a train wreck of injuries. There was a good recruiting class we were excited about, but our PG got injured right away, our 3 did as well. It already had the look of a bad season, and if there weren't injuries and the season went the way it was looking, a lot more of those of us who are more neutral or late to the "time to move on" party would have decisively done so.

Fifth, the team lost a lot of players, they didn't seem to like each other, etc, in the off-season. They came into this season with terribly low expectations, as they should have. But KO pulled in some players who didn't seem have bad, and brought in a killer for recruiting purposes. My position then was that if this season showed growth--given all the circumstances--we'd probably be fine with KO going forward. Now, the team looks like a disaster, and the Gilbert injury plays a role in that. But I'm not sure what anyone is seeing now that they couldn't have foreseen in May.

So, all in all, I'm not happy with the state of the program, but realistically it's not as bad as some of the hysterics suggest. I wasn't a fan of how KO was hired, but a title means something, as do injuries. I'm assuming, given the cost of moving on, we'll have KO for another year at minimum, so I'm rooting for the team as is. If, somehow they find the money and move on to a somewhat exciting hire (not Pikeill, but Hurley I can get behind), I wouldn't be upset, though I'd be sad that all the hope I felt about the future of the program from 2013-2016 came to this.

I thank you for your reply as it is certainly thought out and reasonable. Perhaps I should have phrased my question a little differently. But you got the gist of my question and from what I can tell the only real accomplishment in the past 3 1/2 seasons is winning the AAC tournament in 2016. As you are probably aware, SMU was ineligible that year so one of the other real contenders wasn't even in the mix. In any event, UConn didn't even win an NIT game the year before, or get an NIT invite the year after. The point being that since Shabazz and co left the overall body of work with consistent 5th place finishes in the AAC is disappointing at best.

Yes there have been some obstacles. But any objective view of the post Shabazz era indicates that the program is in a very bad place. I would think that you would have to concede that if you are being honest.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple game make shots, win games. Is there more to it, yes there is...

...there is so much more to winning basketball games then making shots. If a team's principal gameplan is: "Make shots, win games", that team is not going to succeed even if they do make shots (which UC doesn't). When shots aren't falling, they need to identify other ways to win games, be it through getting to the line, clock management, rebounding, motion offense, defensive schemes/ pressure, etc.
In-game coaching is all about recognizing collective and individual strengths and weaknesses (for both your own team and your opponent's), and manipulating them to be beneficial. That stuff just isn't happening and will continue to cost us some wins this year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
...there is so much more to winning basketball games then making shots. If a team's principal gameplan is: "Make shots, win games", that team is not going to succeed even if they do make shots (which UC doesn't). When shots aren't falling, they need to identify other ways to win games, be it through getting to the line, clock management, rebounding, motion offense, defensive schemes/ pressure, etc.
In-game coaching is all about recognizing collective and individual strengths and weaknesses (for both your own team and your opponent's), and manipulating them to be beneficial. That stuff just isn't happening and will continue to cost us some wins this year.

How the hell do you think we were in the Witchita game at all? If you took a look at the stat sheet at the 30 minute mark we shouldve been down 15-20 points not up one. We were getting destroyed on the boards, from 3 point line and everywhere else. How were we leading?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Your statistic is a bit misleading. They played MSU and WSU very close to eventually lose by double digits in the final moments. I don't consider those bad losses. Auburn and Arkansas were bad losses.

Your point about starting 3 guys that didn't score a point helps make my point. After last season (which was bad, but they were destroyed with injury) then there were some transfers and graduating players. Ollie had to scramble to put together a roster. He got guys like AA and DO as fillers. These guys are terrible. They're bodies. To be fair, Anderson probably wouldn't be playing nearly as much if AG were healthy. I know he was a headache, but VJ would be perfect for this years team. Even with AG injury. you can play Adams, Vital, Larrier, VJ and one of the bigs. That team would have two good 3/stretch 4 players some decent length and some shooting. Again - that's one player difference. They need a shooter in the worst way. They need more weapons. Literally Adams, Larrier and Vital are the only guys defenses need to worry about. No one else on the roster brings anything on offense. It's tough to coach and run an offense like that. Lets give him and Chill time to build the roster. Ollie still has name recognition and Chillious already seems to be paying dividends. Patience is a virtue. I think with time we'll be back to where we should be.

Reaction Score
Shabazz and company took Ollie for a ride. What has Ollie done in the span of 4yrs without Calhoun’s players that says he can develop super stars? Or at least a consistent player. I’ll wait.

Reaction Score
Yes there have been some obstacles. But any objective view of the post Shabazz era indicates that the program is in a very bad place. I would think that you would have to concede that if you are being honest.
I agree. The program is certainly in a bad place. Some is on KO, some is just on the luck of injuries.

2013-2016 was a somewhat normal UConn cycle, though. Tough team that would have made the NCAAs if not for a dumb ban, NCAA title, down year after losing a ton of the team, an up year (that should have been better!) that was building towards...something with Adams-Purvis-Hamilton-Facey-Brimah and then recruits....which injuries and the unexpected Hamilton leaving destroyed. And then we lost half our roster again.

In other words, after the 2016 NCAAs and before Hamilton left, we all felt like the year wasn't as good as it should have been, but pretty optimistic for the future. And then it's been one gut punch after another.

As I said, I'm rooting for this team, and these players, and this coach, because that's who we have before us. If, in the off-season, there's a change, I'll root for that team, and those players, and that coach.

Reaction Score
I agree. The program is certainly in a bad place. Some is on KO, some is just on the luck of injuries.

2013-2016 was a somewhat normal UConn cycle, though. Tough team that would have made the NCAAs if not for a dumb ban, NCAA title, down year after losing a ton of the team, an up year (that should have been better!) that was building towards...something with Adams-Purvis-Hamilton-Facey-Brimah and then recruits....which injuries and the unexpected Hamilton leaving destroyed. And then we lost half our roster again.

In other words, after the 2016 NCAAs and before Hamilton left, we all felt like the year wasn't as good as it should have been, but pretty optimistic for the future. And then it's been one gut punch after another.

As I said, I'm rooting for this team, and these players, and this coach, because that's who we have before us. If, in the off-season, there's a change, I'll root for that team, and those players, and that coach.
Fair enough. And thank you for rationally discussing things even if I don't see the potential for a turnaround quite like you do. In the end we probably want the same thing which is simply a return to being relevant.

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't know how to get the best out of his players and thats all on him. I'm not talking about giving it their all I'm talking knowing what they can and can't do. He wants position less basketball and everyone be able to create on their own but when you dont have the players to do this you need to adjust and he hasn't. This is why Ollie won't be successful this year or next.

Example- He is using Larrier all wrong. Kid can shoot and he runs Iso's with him when he should be running him off screens to catch and shoot. He is not a 4 and it has showed. He can't dribble and Ollie runs s a weave and expects him to turn the corner if its open when he just can't. I would say the same thing could be said of Purvis. Purvis also isn't a break you down player. Boat and Bazz were and Adams and Gilbert are but to use all your players that way is not playing to their strengths.

Larrier isn't a 4 and him at the 4 is hurting this teams rebounding. A stretch 4 should bring out the other teams PF and create a mismatch and Larrier not being able to dribble takes away that advantage. At least at the 3 he can shoot over smaller defenders. This also leaves two bigs fighting for offensive rebounds and not 1.

Reaction Score
Example- He is using Larrier all wrong. Kid can shoot and he runs Iso's with him when he should be running him off screens to catch and shoot. He is not a 4 and it has showed.

Bingo. Run him off screens, or get pindowns on smaller 3s. Once he's gotten that he can be a discount Rip and drive off the catch since the defender is already behind him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bingo. Run him off screens, or get pindowns on smaller 3s. Once he's gotten that he can be a discount Rip and drive off the catch since the defender is already behind him.

I've been saying for a while to run a Rip offense with Larrier. I just thought of it in terms of getting open jump shots, because I wanted to maximize his best skill.

I didn't think about the second driving bit really. That's a good point. His biggest problem seems to be his first step. when he gets a step he's long enough and has big enough strides to shield the ball and smoothly elevate on the drive.

Reaction Score
How the hell do you think we were in the Witchita game at all? If you took a look at the stat sheet at the 30 minute mark we shouldve been down 15-20 points not up one. We were getting destroyed on the boards, from 3 point line and everywhere else. How were we leading?
...and they lost.

Reaction Score
Facts! No way I’m embarrassing myself. Y’all should be embarrassed.
Like Ryan Boatright wasn't on the 2015-16 team? Those kind of facts?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom