Out Coached.......AGAIN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Out Coached.......AGAIN

Reaction Score
Please stop the nonsense. Sure you need to give Shabazz credit he was amazing(so was Kemba so we take that away from JC?) but he had an awful soph year especially mentally and KO got him back. Also the guys you want to give JC credit for like Giffey and Deandre were no part of JC's plan nor were the very good until KO took them over. Boat was twice the defensive player as he was prior, he turned into a stopper. You can hammer KO all you want for the last 3 years it's awful but this BS of giving anyone else credit for the NC needs to stop.

I agree with you, but it's a subtle distinction: the 2014 core were KO's players, but JC's recruits.

KO's own recruits have been abject failures in either skill or attitude (i.e. he's not getting the right guys, or he's getting guys who were glaringly overrated). He's been horrible at the "general manager" aspects of the job, and we're well past the point that we can blame JC's sanctions. His in-game, in-season, and between-season coaching of those players has been pretty poor as well.

Reaction Score
Horrendous is a little extreme. I mean one of them won a game in the tournament. I'm sorry but no team is horrendous that is playing in the second round of the tourny no matter what their pedigree is.

The team underachieved badly that season losing 10 games and receiving a far worse seed than they should have had. That lead to an early matchup with Kansas. A higher seed would have led to an easier path and likely a deeper run. The other 3 seasons (including this one) have been poor at best.

Reaction Score
The team underachieved badly that season losing 10 games and receiving a far worse seed than they should have had. That lead to an early matchup with Kansas. A higher seed would have led to an easier path and likely a deeper run. The other 3 seasons (including this one) have been poor at best.

And wasn’t Ryan Boatright the point guard that year? Another one of Calhouns players

Reaction Score
And wasn’t Ryan Boatright the point guard that year? Another one of Calhouns players

No, if I recall correctly Boat went to the NIT his senior (2015) year and they got bounced right away.
The next year, 2016, was the lone NCAA tourney since Bazz left. It was Shonn Miller and Co.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The players who were coached by Calhoun for two years won that championship. Shabazz took Ollie for a ride bro. Calhoun handed Ollie a freaking championship. That’s a fact. What the hell has Ollie done since Calhoun players took him for a ride? You sound ridiculous.

Good thing Kemba decided to take JC for a ride on his way out. Solidified JC's legacy.

Reaction Score
6C30B268-BEBA-482E-A252-1E9DD2445E3E.jpeg

Leader! Coach on the floor. Led his team to a championship.

Reaction Score
Thank you for clearing all of that up but I take it from your attempt to move the goal posts that you agree with my actual comment?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I’ve said this before, but neither KO or Ricky could shoot a lick. I don’t know if Killings or Chill know a nice looking jumper when they see one, but it is kind of ironic that two of our coaches had about the ugliest jumpers in UConn history.

Ollie made 9 three point field goals in 13 NBA seasons.

Reaction Score
Gotta disagree. We were not out coached. We just could not make a shot. People forget that we were in this game for 36-37 minutes. Even had a lead during that span. We just could not hit a shot. We make shots. Nobody talking about "Running an offense. Or sets" We just can't shoot.

Reaction Score
Gotta disagree. We were not out coached. We just could not make a shot. People forget that we were in this game for 36-37 minutes. Even had a lead during that span. We just could not hit a shot. We make shots. Nobody talking about "Running an offense. Or sets" We just can't shoot.
Coaching is more than hitting a shot (or not) in any game. It’s assembling a team of talents (like shooters and scorers) and putting your team in a position to utilize its best assets - this becomes evident when your team needs a score in the last 5 minutes or when momentum is teetering. It’s getting a stop when you REALLY need one (ever notice how teams “magically” bury a dagger three or get an offensive rebound in “winning time” against us?) It’s creating a culture of winning, accountability, imposing your will, etc. And it’s why our guy keeps failing. We have no reliable scheme. No “go to” to fall back on and rely upon when we need it. And, most sadly, we have no culture of winning anymore. It’s why JC used to go ballistic over mistakes during cupcake games when we were up 25. He knew that going under a screen or not boxing out or making a lazy pass when it seemingly didn’t matter, actually mattered. That taking plays off vs Sacred Heart would impact the culture which would then impact the outcome of an important game in March.

The easiest thing in sport is to give into losing. It gets dismissed/excused the few times, but then it grows. Unknowingly at first, like barnicles on the bottom of a boat. Excuses get made (“we ran into a hot team tonight,” “we just didn’t hit the shots we’re capable of,” “I’m really proud of my team for the way we fought,” etc). Losing becomes acceptable. No one actually gets “tired” enough of losing to make changes, expectations get lowered, players are held accountable and here we are.

So yes, we got out coached, out cultured, out everything’d. That’s what UConn basketball has become under KO. And it’s why we need a change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coaching is more than hitting a shot (or not) in any game. It’s assembling a team of talents (like shooters and scorers) and putting your team in a position to utilize its best assets - this becomes evident when your team needs a score in the last 5 minutes or when momentum is teetering. It’s getting a stop when you REALLY need one (ever notice how teams “magically” bury a dagger three or get an offensive rebound in “winning time” against us?) It’s creating a culture of winning, accountability, imposing your will, etc. And it’s why our guy keeps failing. We have no reliable scheme. No “go to” to fall back on and rely upon when we need it. And, most sadly, we have no culture of winning anymore. It’s why JC used to go ballistic over mistakes during cupcake games when we were up 25. He knew that going under a screen or not boxing out or making a lazy pass when it seemingly didn’t matter, actually mattered. That taking plays off vs Sacred Heart would impact the culture which would then impact the outcome of an important game in March.

The easiest thing in sport is to give into losing. It gets dismissed/excused the few times, but then it grows. Unknowingly at first, like barnicles on the bottom of a boat. Excuses get made (“we ran into a hot team tonight,” “we just didn’t hit the shots we’re capable of,” “I’m really proud of my team for the way we fought,” etc). Losing becomes acceptable. No one actually gets “tired” enough of losing to make changes, expectations get lowered, players are held accountable and here we are.

So yes, we got out coached, out cultured, out everything’d. That’s what UConn basketball has become under KO. And it’s why we need a change.

12-25 from 3, 3-16 from 3 who do you think the better coach is? And try to stay away form the "coach who defended it better" because that's the way we shoot more often than not. So while it's possible we do need a change, for you to deny shooting was the reason we didn't find a way to win is idiotic period. It's not the only reason, but look at those numbers. One team can make open looks the other can not. Shoot the same % as them we win I believe Jelly Bean is more correct here than most would like to admit, only because of the obvious.

I will add that one coach recruited shooters and the other one doesn't have more than 1 or 2 who are both very inconsistent so that is a part of "coaching" too. Point is there is no denying our Huskies can't shoot.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

this kinda thinking is not very popular around here

I might add that executing on both sides of the court is a whole lot easier when you have a bunch of returning players with significant experience over a roster of newbies, but the dumpster fire crowd doesn't like that thinking either

Reaction Score
12-25 from 3, 3-16 from 3 who do you think the better coach is? And try to stay away form the "coach who defended it better" because that's the way we shoot more often than not. So while it's possible we do need a change for you to deny shooting was the reason we didn't find a way to win is idiotic period. It's not the only reason, but look at those numbers. One team can make open looks the other can not. Shoot the same % as them we win I believe Jelly Bean is more correct here than most would like to admit, only because of the obvious.
Im not denying anything. If you read my response (and I wouldn’t blame you for skipping through that lengthy post), I was trying to say that it’s not as simple as shooting or statistics. Good shooting teams have more than just good shooters (and I don’t mean good passers - though that’s likely true as well). They consistently get good shots FOR their good shooters through their offense. We don’t do that. And good, well coached teams find ways to win on off shooting nights. Good coaches assemble talent that works - somehow someway.

If you can’t see that it’s more than “we just didn’t make shots” I don’t know what to tell you and I’ll have my own perspective as to who or what is idiotic (no wonder you’re so popular here). I guess we’re a well coached team except for those games where the other team scores more points or shoots it better?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im not denying anything. If you read my response (and I wouldn’t blame you for skipping through that lengthy post), I was trying to say that it’s not as simple as shooting or statistics. Good shooting teams have more than just good shooters (and I don’t mean good passers - though that’s likely true as well). They consistently get good shots FOR their good shooters through their offense. We don’t do that. And good, well coached teams find ways to win on off shooting nights. Good coaches assemble talent that works - somehow someway.

If you can’t see that it’s more than “we just didn’t make shots” I don’t know what to tell you and I’ll have my own perspective as to who is idiotic.

Whatever, your idiotic - I'm idiotic I could care less about your perspective or many others quite honestly. Pretty simple game make shots, win games. Is there more to it, yes there is at times but if our kids made shots down the stretch and many were open looks then we have a much better chance to win this one as Jell Bean proposed and you ripped. His reply was spot on but those who wish to always take it to the Fire KO level will do so. The kids competed hard, held a tough team to 16-42 from inside the arc but they made 3's and we didn't. There have been games where he has looked lost and got out coached sometimes even dramatically but this was not one of them. But feel free to pile on, it's the way of the BY.

Reaction Score
Any other seed would have.

Reaction Score
So your take is: "All these players are trash but we can't fire KO because then we'd lose them."

Okey doke.

We had a top 10 recruiting class literally last year. The year before that we had a top-30 recruit, a top 80 recruit and two of the top 3 postgrad transfers available.

And for some reason none of them improve, and the team just keeps getting worse.

I like your insight most times but I have to ask you how much and how quickly you expect a postgrad to improve n a new system with new players?

Reaction Score
Whatever, your idiotic - I'm idiotic I could care less about your perspective or many others quite honestly. Pretty simple game make shots, win games. Is there more to it, yes there is at times but if our kids made shots down the stretch and many were open looks then we have a much better chance to win this one as Jell Bean proposed and you ripped. His reply was spot on but those who wish to always take it to the Fire KO level will do so. The kids competed hard, held a tough team to 16-42 from inside the arc but they made 3's and we didn't. There have been games where he has looked lost and got out coached sometimes even dramatically but this was not one of them. But feel free to pile on, it's the way of the BY.
That perspective works better in isolation (as in one game). When it happens again and again and again over multiple seasons, it’s more than just “we didn’t make shots.” And btw, I didn’t “rip” anyone. I offered a different perspective. And quite respectfully I might add. Whether you could or couldn’t care less means nothing to me as well so we have some common ground.

Reaction Score
We won the NC 2014 and 2016 we had the 8th overall nationally in recruiting.. kids left cuz Ollie was being too hard on them n emphasized defense.. he tried to do what was best for Durham even wanted to redshirt him coming off surgery, instead of him taking his time to heal and get into better shape he jumps ship.. idk maybe Ollie cares too much for his players and then get burned after the season ends.. AG knew he was hurt n again he Re-injured his shoulder tough luck .. Vance wanted to be the show and for a guard driven team I think he benefited more by all the penetration so all he had to do was spot up n shoot because his handles were horrible ... even vital wanted out but talked it over with his hs coach so you lose 3 of ya top big men all who were legit 6-10 or taller , then you have to scramble on players you just get to fill out ya roster , of course you’re not going to protect the paint or be able to play to the standard of UCONN... we blame the conference but we can still get top guys so it shouldn’t matter because it’s all gonna be settled on the court example NCAA tournament.. not a believer this year but I see chill kill Ollie getting the best for uconn and akinjo n Matthews is a start ..

So next year hoping for returns:
JA
AG
Akinjo
CV
TL
Sid
Matthews
Polley
Cobb
Carlton
Kisunas
Diarra
Whaley
Getting 4 guards is crucial for Ollie’s system and length on the backend to affect shots which I think we’ll have after this season and yes another grad transfer at least 7 foot
Now I think a couple players are going to hop ship again but it shouldn’t affect us if our 2 top guys return Ollie has to convince them to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exits
Kwintin
Polley
The obvious DO n AA

Attachments

• 4EDF36DB-99E7-4809-90A2-8EF3A86826B1.png
    4EDF36DB-99E7-4809-90A2-8EF3A86826B1.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 36

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We won the NC 2014 and 2016 we had the 8th overall nationally in recruiting.. kids left cuz Ollie was being too hard on them n emphasized defense.. he tried to do what was best for Durham even wanted to redshirt him coming off surgery, instead of him taking his time to heal and get into better shape he jumps ship.. idk maybe Ollie cares too much for his players and then get burned after the season ends.. AG knew he was hurt n again he Re-injured his shoulder tough luck .. Vance wanted to be the show and for a guard driven team I think he benefited more by all the penetration so all he had to do was spot up n shoot because his handles were horrible ... even vital wanted out but talked it over with his hs coach so you lose 3 of ya top big men all who were legit 6-10 or taller , then you have to scramble on players you just get to fill out ya roster , of course you’re not going to protect the paint or be able to play to the standard of UCONN... we blame the conference but we can still get top guys so it shouldn’t matter because it’s all gonna be settled on the court example NCAA tournament.. not a believer this year but I see chill kill Ollie getting the best for uconn and akinjo n Matthews is a start ..

So next year hoping for returns:
JA
AG
Akinjo
CV
TL
Sid
Matthews
Polley
Cobb
Carlton
Kisunas
Diarra
Whaley
Getting 4 guards is crucial for Ollie’s system and length on the backend to affect shots which I think we’ll have after this season and yes another grad transfer at least 7 foot
Now I think a couple players are going to hop ship again but it shouldn’t affect us if our 2 top guys return Ollie has to convince them to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exits
Kwintin
Polley
The obvious DO n AA
Durham, Enoch, and Jackson left because they realized they had zero shot at developing under Ollie.

Reaction Score
That perspective works better in isolation (as in one game). When it happens again and again and again over multiple seasons, it’s more than just “we didn’t make shots.” And btw, I didn’t “rip” anyone. I offered a different perspective. And quite respectfully I might add. Whether you could or couldn’t care less means nothing to me as well so we have some common ground.
If we do just a little better guarding the 3 pt line and have a 3 pt shooter like WS, AZ and Mich St we probably win 2 out of 3 of those games.

Reaction Score
Durham, Enoch, and Jackson left because they realized they had zero shot at developing under Ollie.
Maybe.? But the player in me I was always taught if you want to develop anything in life to be better at was to work on it yourself.. trust me I was coached but no coach needed to tell me what I needed to work on cuz as a player I already knew .. I get tired of the development by a head coach, trust me that’s why they hire assistant coaches, Grad Assistants, strength n condition coaches, big man coach, shooting coach, an ego coach lol you name it you look at calipary teams and all those top guys got better after they left wall, cousins, the eyebrows... the twins, poytress didn’t get better or develop.. these coaches are brought in to win period especially at the traditional powers

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I agree and also have to think some are right about KO needing to go. They will lose at least Akinjo probably and I am sure a mass exodus will also occur.

The funny thing would be watching these people when the first 2 years are total rebuild and see how they act after 11-20 and 15-16 for 2 more years. Problem is how can you think KO will suddenly get it? I mean we're in a tough, sad situation as fans right now.
I think he does get it. The issue is that he's realized that no one on the team can shoot so he has to run an iso offense for Adams and Larrier and to a lesser extent Vital. No one else is any good on offense. Not even as a role player. The bigs are raw, and will be fine in a few years with more strength and experience. Im confident in that. If he had guys who could knock down open jumpers the offense would be better. I think it also hurts the Jalen and Terry only trust Jalen and Terry. Neither is looking to pass at all. I cant say I blame them.

Reaction Score
So just to be clear. Coach on the floor means KO can't coach. No Coach on the floor means KO can't coach.

Nice little position you have there.

Ollie can’t coach. You think he can? And if so, what has Ollie done with his players, not Calhoun’s, that makes you think he can?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom