Out Coached.......AGAIN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Out Coached.......AGAIN

Reaction Score
Please stop the nonsense. Sure you need to give Shabazz credit he was amazing(so was Kemba so we take that away from JC?) but he had an awful soph year especially mentally and KO got him back. Also the guys you want to give JC credit for like Giffey and Deandre were no part of JC's plan nor were the very good until KO took them over. Boat was twice the defensive player as he was prior, he turned into a stopper. You can hammer KO all you want for the last 3 years it's awful but this BS of giving anyone else credit for the NC needs to stop.

How would that take away from Calhoun? When Calhoun coached Shabazz, Boat, Giffey, and DeAndre lol Ollie didn’t coach Shabazz into a star, Calhoun did. Calhoun coached Kemba into a star, and many others. Calhoun imprinted his coaching into that 2014 National Championship team. What has Ollie done since then? All I’ve seen is his team going down hill since the championship. Of course, because it’s Kevin Ollie’s teams.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
"Highly regarded" Hurely? 134-100 you think Akinjo or Matthews know of him? They need to do better if there's a change not settle.
Ok, I'll play along. Like who? Coach K.....?

Reaction Score
How would that take away from Calhoun? When Calhoun coached Shabazz, Boat, Giffey, and DeAndre lol Ollie didn’t coach Shabazz into a star, Calhoun did. Calhoun coached Kemba into a star, and many others. Calhoun imprinted his coaching into that 2014 National Championship team. What has Ollie done since then? All I’ve seen is his team going down hill since the championship. Of course, because it’s Kevin Ollie’s teams.

Really you don't get what I said? Don't change the subject to what has he done since, I think I talked about that so read it again. Shabazz was not a superstar going into his junior year. He was a real nice "other guard" with a superstar next to him for his first NC then while trying to lead he had a rough time, had some lapses in judgement and he couldn't guide that team though turmoil, certainly not all on him but he did become quite a player under KO. Junior year he was a leader senior year he was tremendous. Sure JC had a piece but it's not right to take it away from KO because you don't like what he's doing since. And this wasn't all about Shabazz by the way, talk of the rest of the improving players especially what he did with Giffey and Deandre. Add in how he used a Kromah and you can't deny what he did, nor can I deny what he's done the last 2 years plus.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll play along. Like who? Coach K.....?

You know I'm not sure but look at his body of work and tell me he's the guy to bring us back to championship caliber. What I see in him is improvement to make a few people smile, basically Randy Edsall. Will do a nice job but when everyone wants to make noise in the NCAA tourney or even get there all the time is this the guy?

I'm thinking high end asst, Capel someone suggested and I like that. Not sure he'd come but he's been a head coach and went back to help K, guessing a very good recruiter who has recruited at a higher level than Hurley. I like Danny, like watching his URI teams and root for them just don't see the next step of championship programs. I could be wrong, just a hunch.

Reaction Score
Really you don't get what I said? Don't change the subject to what has he done since, I think I talked about that so read it again. Shabazz was not a superstar going into his junior year. He was a real nice "other guard" with a superstar next to him for his first NC then while trying to lead he had a rough time, had some lapses in judgement and he couldn't guide that team though turmoil, certainly not all on him but he did become quite a player under KO. Junior year he was a leader senior year he was tremendous. Sure JC had a piece but it's not right to take it away from KO because you don't like what he's doing since. And this wasn't all about Shabazz by the way, talk of the rest of the improving players especially what he did with Giffey and Deandre. Add in how he used a Kromah and you can't deny what he did, nor can I deny what he's done the last 2 years plus.

And ALL of those players you’ve just mentioned had been coached by Calhoun. Shabazz was going to be a super star his Jr and Sr year regardless, He was COACHED by Calhoun. Shabazz was learning from the great Jim Calhoun and Kemba his freshman and Sophomore year, so to say he wasn’t a super star his freshman sophomore year is a ridiculous thing to say. Shabazz was sitting behind a star player, who was coached by Calhoun, his time was coming regardless. From what I have seen the past few years, especially this year is that Ollie cannot coach for shut. The teams he’s put together after the National championship has been horrendous, I wonder why. Maybe cause they weren’t coached by Calhoun, they are coached by Ollie. So, you’re not changing my mind my friend.

Reaction Score
And ALL of those players you’ve just mentioned had been coached by Calhoun. Shabazz was going to be a super star his Jr and Sr year regardless, He was COACHED by Calhoun. Shabazz was learning from the great Jim Calhoun and Kemba his freshman and Sophomore year, so to say he wasn’t a super star his freshman sophomore year is a ridiculous thing to say. Shabazz was sitting behind a star player, who was coached by Calhoun, his time was coming regardless. From what I have seen the past few years, especially this year is that Ollie cannot coach for shut. The teams he’s put together after the National championship has been horrendous, I wonder why. Maybe cause they weren’t coached by Calhoun, they are coached by Ollie. So, you’re not changing my mind my friend.

They weren't any good under JC and never saw the court, did you even watch Deandre or Giffey under JC? Ok I quit!

Reaction Score
They weren't any good under JC and never saw the court, did you even watch Deandre or Giffey under JC? Ok I quit!

Shabazz was learning from Kemba and Calhoun his freshman and sophomore year, then became a super star his junior and senior year. That does not mean it was Ollie’s doing. What has Ollie done with HIS players, which leads you to believe he is capable of coaching up a super star? All of his players are soft, inconsistent, has no grit, etc...

That National Championship team was jelling once Shabazz became a star his junior and senior year. Calhoun, I’m sure new Daniels, Giffey, Boat, and the rest of that team would come together once Shabazz took over. He recruited them all. It was Calhoun’s team!

Sorry Mau I like you, but please just stop.

Reaction Score
The guys coming next year apparently can stroke it, so there's that. But damn, I've never seen a tUCONN team shoot like this.
2006-2007 shot 32% from 3 as a team and 46% overall.
2009-2010 shot 31% from 3 as a team and 48% overall.
This year is 30% and 45%, respectively.

So, this is the lowest, but we've had other years nearly as bad. But, though those teams were really bad, at least they had young players full of promise...

Reaction Score

So, this is the lowest, but we've had other years nearly as bad. But, though those teams were really bad, at least they had young players full of promise...

Interesting facts.
I’m going to speculate that those teams played better D (opposing teams shooting percentages?) and likely rebounded better than this years Huskies.

What are the facets of the game that UConn can hang their hat on?

Shooting? No. Rebounding? No. D? No. Assists? No. Turnovers? No. Inside game? No. Outside game? No. ISO ability? Maybe Yes. Effort? Maybe Yes.
So ISO and effort capabilities are what we get to hang our hats on. Which is why we can beat the bad teams and not the good teams.

Reaction Score
The teams he’s put together after the National championship has been horrendous, I wonder why. Maybe cause they weren’t coached by Calhoun, they are coached by Ollie. So, you’re not changing my mind my friend.

Horrendous is a little extreme. I mean one of them won a game in the tournament. I'm sorry but no team is horrendous that is playing in the second round of the tourny no matter what their pedigree is.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Shabazz was learning from Kemba and Calhoun his freshman and sophomore year, then became a super star his junior and senior year. That does not mean it was Ollie’s doing.
This is an awful take. As bad as Ollie's been the last few years, neither you nor anyone else can take what he did in 2013 & 2014 away from him, nor should you want to.

No matter what's happened since, and what happens in the future, KO is a championship-winning coach who got more out of guys like Shabazz, Boat, DeAndre & Niels than anybody thought was there before he took over. He was phenomenal those first two seasons.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
"Highly regarded" Hurely? 134-100 you think Akinjo or Matthews know of him? They need to do better if there's a change not settle.
Just listing his record is some crap, mau. What makes Hurley highly regarded is that he's twice taken over the worst team in the conference then turned it into one of the very best – consistent winners – in either 2 or 3 seasons. He's highly regarded because he's brought programs back from the dead, which seems like a useful job skill given where we're heading.

So let's look at it from a different perspective. If you remove Hurley's first year at Wagner & his first year at URI – the full-on "I have to clean up this trainwreck caused by the previous coach" years for both schools – his overall record is 112-39, or 75%. He also led URI to the tournament for the first time in decades, their first tournament win in decades, posted a winning season even when he lost his best player to injury, and has steadily recruited better and better classes.

He's one of the best young-ish coaches out there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Good catch. It's easy to forget. The players were in the pipeline, and there was an HOF coach on the sideline, so there was reason to be optimistic.

I remember those teams being bad, but I guess it's just watching how these guys are playing. It's not enjoyable basketball. Again, I can handle losing, I can handle missing shots, but really bad--and what often seems lackadaisical-- basketball just isn't fun.

There's also obviously significant recency bias here.

Reaction Score
If Ollie is fired I'd be so mad. There is no way firing Ollie would do this program good. They'd probably lose Akinjo. Not to mention guys who would transfer. You think the roster is bad now? If Ollie is fired itd be a dumpster fire.

No one on the team can shoot. All the big men are raw and undersized. Gilbert is out. I agree the offense isn't good but they're playing 3 on 5. Anderson is useless. No big man is any good.

The conference is hurting recruiting. I'm willing to give Ollie a few more yrs to right the ship.
Almost every team in the American has gotten better since joining the league, including Cincy. The conference excuses need to stop.

Reaction Score
Deandre was a top 10 recruit. How many of those we've had since? How about top 20? Top 30?....After winning the NT in 2014, you'd think we'd have gotten some.
We are in the AAC, the AAC........ top tier recruits are not coming to the AAC. We need to focus our recruiting on under the radar 2 and 3 Star type players. The muckers and grinder type players.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
We are in the AAC, the AAC... top tier recruits are not coming to the AAC. We need to focus our recruiting on under the radar 2 and 3 Star type players. The muckers and grinder type players.
This is utterly ridiculous. Since we've been in the AAC we've landed two McDonald's all-americans (Rodney after transferring, but still), two other borderline 5-star players (Hamilton & Adams), and a consensus national top 10 class (last year's).

Recruiting can get better, but it's been the least of our problems. Our ability to develop the talent that we've landed has simply murdered the program.

Reaction Score
Just listing his record is some crap, mau. What makes Hurley highly regarded is that he's twice taken over the worst team in the conference then turned it into one of the very best – consistent winners – in either 2 or 3 seasons. He's highly regarded because he's brought programs back from the dead, which seems like a useful job skill given where we're heading.

So let's look at it from a different perspective. If you remove Hurley's first year at Wagner & his first year at URI – the full-on "I have to clean up this trainwreck caused by the previous coach" years for both schools – his overall record is 112-39, or 75%. He also led URI to the tournament for the first time in decades, their first tournament win in decades, posted a winning season even when he lost his best player to injury, and has steadily recruited better and better classes.

I think Dan Hurley will be our coach next season.

Reaction Score

If you remove a lot of years from a lot of coaches they’d look better, crap or not it’s his record. I’ve said he’s good, my opinion is we are settling for someone who may be a little better. Just not sure he’s as highly regarded as some seem to think. If he’s your guy then good for you agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
This is an awful take. As bad as Ollie's been the last few years, neither you nor anyone else can take what he did in 2013 & 2014 away from him, nor should you want to.

No matter what's happened since, and what happens in the future, KO is a championship-winning coach who got more out of guys like Shabazz, Boat, DeAndre & Niels than anybody thought was there before he took over. He was phenomenal those first two seasons.

The players who were coached by Calhoun for two years won that championship. Shabazz took Ollie for a ride bro. Calhoun handed Ollie a freaking championship. That’s a fact. What the hell has Ollie done since Calhoun players took him for a ride? You sound ridiculous.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
The players who were coached by Calhoun for two years won that championship. Shabazz took Ollie for a ride bro. Calhoun handed Ollie a freaking championship. That’s a fact. What the hell has Ollie done since Calhoun players took him for a ride? You sound ridiculous.
You're confusing feelings with facts. Are you a Baby Boomer?

Reaction Score
You're confusing feelings with facts. Are you a Baby Boomer?

Those two years Shabazz was the coach on the floor. Shabazz was the embodiment of a leader, a lot of that had to do with Calhoun. In those two years I saw a bit of Calhoun in Shabazz, he would get in all his teammates face, fired up! especially in boats face, just like Calhoun did. Since then, Ollie has done NOTHING!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom