Our three point shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our three point shooting

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Balls are overinflated at many neutral sites. Causes 3s to go long.

Rumors (or possibly viral conspiracy theories) are that something has been done. over inflating balls, over tightening rims, whatever, to make it more difficult to hit threes in the tournament. Whether this is or is not the case, we willl continue to move forward.

Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate, maybe we're actually not a good three point shooting team?
Even after 4 games of bad shooting from 3, we're still shooting 36% as a team. That's...that's pretty darn good from 3. It's 78th in the country.

Just in BE games (more indicative i think of our shooting), the team shot 38%. So...yeah, this is a good 3 point shooting team. They're just dealing with variance and inflated balls(?).

Reaction Score
UConn was 3 for 17 last night and 6 for 39 for three against Northwestern and Illinois combined. It shows the dominance of Clingan and just how truly great this team is. What happens when we start knocking down threes?
Let’s just hope we do. The trend is not our friend.

Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate, maybe we're actually not a good three point shooting team?
After 38 games this season and 904 attempts, a very big sample size, the team is a tick under 36%. That's good for 77th in D1. So while not elite, that's not terrible either. They've been off during the NCAA Tournament. But you know what they say about water finding its level? So it's coming. At least that's my hope.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Devil probably needs no advocate, and pretty likely wouldn't choose you.

Are you really seeking the job?

It's almost always a terrible framing.

Reaction Score
Newton and Karaban have always been streaky shooters, and they seem to make the clutch ones when the team needs them, and we certainly didn’t need them in this game. This whole thread is just ridiculous. The team sets a record for dominating the ncaa tournament and you are freaking out about the one statistic that wasn’t perfect out of of 100s of stats.

YES UConn has to play well to win a title, but they have been playing well all year. YES they could have 1 bad game and lose in a single elimination tournament. But this is perhaps the greatest UConn team ever, and they are in the final four two years in a row. Stop freaking out and enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
To add to that at the start of the San Diego State game San Diego St was on fire, on offense, and we did not some three pointers and Karaban made 2 huge ones that were nothing but net, one of them fro, like 30 feet.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I just crunched the numbers to see if there's any truth to this. It doesn't look like it, unless you're suggesting there are some geographical anomalies.

I looked at all of the 64 teams (didn't bother with the first four) and what they shot cumulatively for the season from deep versus what they shot during March Madness.

Overall, the teams shot a collective 35.36% from three during the season (exclusive of MM), and 34.43% during March Madness. It's been awhile since I took stats but I assume increased level of competition has something to do with the marginally lower percentage.

I also looked at it team by team. We're shooting 8.6% below our 3P average (28.1% vs 36.7%) and have the highest deviation from the mean of any team that made it to the Elite 8. The next closest is Duke, that shot it 5.3% below their 3P average (33.3% vs 38.6%).

Alabama, of teams that made the E8, is at the other end of the spectrum. They're shooting 41.4% in the tournament, which is 4.9% better than their 36.5% season average.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
After 38 games this season and 904 attempts, a very big sample size, the team is a tick under 36%. That's good for 77th in D1. So while not elite, that's not terrible either. They've been off during the NCAA Tournament. But you know what they say about water finding its level? So it's coming. At least that's my hope.

While we’re not bad at 3s I don’t think we rely on them to win games. Which is a great thing.

Whether we shoot 40% or 10% doesn’t matter much for us these days.

caw

Reaction Score
I just crunched the numbers to see if there's any truth to this. It doesn't look like it, unless you're suggesting there are some geographical anomalies.

I looked at all of the 64 teams (didn't bother with the first four) and what they shot cumulatively for the season from deep versus what they shot during March Madness.

Overall, the teams shot a collective 35.36% from three during the season (exclusive of MM), and 34.43% during March Madness. It's been awhile since I took stats but I assume increased level of competition has something to do with the marginally lower percentage.

I also looked at it team by team. We're shooting 8.6% below our 3P average (28.1% vs 36.7%) and have the highest deviation from the mean of any team that made it to the Elite 8. The next closest is Duke, that shot it 5.3% below their 3P average (33.3% vs 38.6%).

Alabama, of teams that made the E8, is at the other end of the spectrum. They're shooting 41.4% in the tournament, which is 4.9% better than their 36.5% season average.
I think the point was each site had pumped them differently but I have no clue if that’s true.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
When you're destroying teams the way we've been destroying teams, I just don't see any weakness

We're destroying teams, what more can we do?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
When you're destroying teams the way we've been destroying teams, I just don't see any weakness

We're destroying teams, what more can we do?

Then what happened vs Creighton? What happens if we go 3/20 and Bama shoots 15/30? Our defense is awesome but sometimes teams get really hot from deep. (And what happens if DC and/or SC pick up 2 early fouls?) If we’re not making 3s, we need transition hoops, and for that we need long rebounds. Fewer Bama misses, fewer transition hoops.

I’m not saying that’s likely but 3-point shooting is, in fact, a weakness if we continue shooting this way. 28% is bad.

Reaction Score

Curious if the data suggests a bigger deviation at particular sights than others, or is it pretty much same across the board

willie99

Reaction Score
Then what happened vs Creighton? What happens if we go 3/20 and Bama shoots 15/30? Our defense is awesome but sometimes teams get really hot from deep. (And what happens if DC and/or SC pick up 2 early fouls?) If we’re not making 3s, we need transition hoops, and for that we need long rebounds. Fewer Bama misses, fewer transition hoops.

I’m not saying that’s likely but 3-point shooting is, in fact, a weakness if we continue shooting this way. 28% is bad.

Good God, stop

You have the best team in the country. Doesn't mean they're going to win every game.

If you can find a problem with this team, that's 1000% on you.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good God, stop

You have the best team in the country. Doesn't mean they're going to win every game.

If you can find a problem with this team, that's 1000% on you.

Good God, read.

It’s not a problem. It’s not a likely problem. It’s a potential problem. Pretty obvious from what I wrote.

willie99

Reaction Score
OK, you lost me at "what happened vs Creighton"

We're taking what they give us, because we can. And with AZ gone, we don't have to worry about a home court advantage for anyone

Reaction Score
Odd comment. Perhaps the strange neutral courts and backgrounds have more to do with the many misses along with the intense defense being played by the desperate one and done games. Seems like most players are jacked up and out of sync.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom