Our Star Is Jalen Adams? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our Star Is Jalen Adams?

Reaction Score
He is not having a good start to the year.

Expectations are WAY too high for JA. He quite literally has won us 2-3 games ALONE this year.

He is officially now the only true ball handler on the team. He is asked to do so much creating and scoring, you have to expect his TOs are going to be relatively high. Having AG healthy would dramatically drop his TO's.

This was not the plan for him to handle the ball so much. He was suppose to have AG and MAL help him out, but similar to last year, it's only him. He's averaging almost 19 a game, while also having to create for everyone else on the floor.

In regards to last night, he did not play well. However, similar to what another poster said, Zona played two 7 footers and clogged the lane. They knew that he was the only one that was going to hurt him and know he loves to get to the basket. If you surrounded him with another shooter, and another ball handler he would be a lot more consistent and effective.

People can say he's not a good leader but he acts similar to the way Bazz/Boat in the fact that he is very demonstrative. If this team was 9-2 with wins over Oregon and two of Cuse/Zona/Ark, we would be praising his leadership. It's pretty simple, fans think one way; you win games = best player is a leader and if you lose games = no leadership.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He has the most talent on the team but just isn't a high IQ player.

He's careless with the ball and his body language is abysmal.

That said, he bails us out on offense quite a bit and on a team with any semblance of an offense he'd look better I think.

ConnHuskBask you are right on. In the 1st half I saw him going back n forth w/ Ollie following a turnover. He's complaining about being hacked on the arm after making what seemed to be his 3rd turnover dribbling/fumbling the ball while driving in a mass of humanity down the middle of the lane. He is better than that and should hold himself to greater accountability.

Reaction Score
You're right. They could be pocketing it for another grad transfer or spring decommit though.
There’s some smoke that unless he goes off for the remainder of the season he’ll be back. Terry is gone

Reaction Score
It's a sad realization, but Adams is closer to Jerome Dyson than he is to Kemba and Bazz.

I don’t find them similar but it’s funny because their outside jump shots are basically set shots with no elevation even though both guys can jump very well. I always found that strange.

Reaction Score
Expectations are WAY too high for JA. He quite literally has won us 2-3 games ALONE this year.

He is officially now the only true ball handler on the team. He is asked to do so much creating and scoring, you have to expect his TOs are going to be relatively high. Having AG healthy would dramatically drop his TO's.

This was not the plan for him to handle the ball so much. He was suppose to have AG and MAL help him out, but similar to last year, it's only him. He's averaging almost 19 a game, while also having to create for everyone else on the floor.

In regards to last night, he did not play well. However, similar to what another poster said, Zona played two 7 footers and clogged the lane. They knew that he was the only one that was going to hurt him and know he loves to get to the basket. If you surrounded him with another shooter, and another ball handler he would be a lot more consistent and effective.

People can say he's not a good leader but he acts similar to the way Bazz/Boat in the fact that he is very demonstrative. If this team was 9-2 with wins over Oregon and two of Cuse/Zona/Ark, we would be praising his leadership. It's pretty simple, fans think one way; you win games = best player is a leader and if you lose games = no leadership.

Not true at all, he was a better player last year and at times, a better leader he was trending in the right direction. If you're watching truthfully he's not as good as last year at this point and there's no doubt we should expect him to be as good or even better by his junior year. No one said he sucks, but he's not playing well now and deserves much of the criticism. I have hope he it will kick in and he will realize he needs to play better, lead in a more positive manner and take care of the ball. The back n'forth with KO was not good, it was an immature kid telling him it wasn't his fault rather then taking it in, saying my bad coach and digging in harder.

Reaction Score
He didn’t step up today... kept complaining to the refs, turned the ball over.... what the heck is the deal with the traveling???????

Reaction Score
There’s some smoke that unless he goes off for the remainder of the season he’ll be back. Terry is gone
The thing that makes me think Adams could just as well be back is that last year he didn't bother to enter the draft and go through work outs when he easily could have done that. Seemed like he wanted to save his free shot for after junior year. And if he continues as he's played the first part of the season there is no way he's getting drafted.

I don't think anyone thinks Larrier would get drafted after this season. I know he's been in college for 4 years but he's only played 2 seasons (after this season) and he hasn't shown he's even close to an NBA player. He can ask DeAndre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton what a rough road it can be when you're not a 1st round draft choice. I guess his only reason would be he has a college degree and he's getting older and might as well go make some money now even if it's not in the NBA.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He can ask DeAndre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton what a rough road it can be when you're not a 1st round draft choice. I guess his only reason would be he has a college degree and he's getting older and might as well go make some money now even if it's not in the NBA.

Which is a really, really good argument. He can develop wherever.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a good player , but seems to always have bad first halves.
How is he supposed to get lots of assists if the front court people he passes to fumble and kick the ball around?
In all fairness you are correct here, and that is part of the problem which is quality players enhance each other’s games, and we don’t have enough of them.

Reaction Score
Not true at all, he was a better player last year and at times, a better leader he was trending in the right direction. If you're watching truthfully he's not as good as last year at this point and there's no doubt we should expect him to be as good or even better by his junior year. No one said he sucks, but he's not playing well now and deserves much of the criticism. I have hope he it will kick in and he will realize he needs to play better, lead in a more positive manner and take care of the ball. The back n'forth with KO was not good, it was an immature kid telling him it wasn't his fault rather then taking it in, saying my bad coach and digging in harder.

Your critique is really short sighted
He actually has fewer options this year than last
Especially when CV and Jackson started to hit shots
We also got much more scoring from the 4-5 last year with Facey and Brimah
We are playing 3v5 unless we’re in a 3 guard in which case we are undersized.
Instead of pointing fingers at the 3 guys it’s the other two who should be getting hammered.
Polley or Whaley have to step up the sooner the better

Reaction Score
Your critique is really short sighted
He actually has fewer options this year than last
Especially when CV and Jackson started to hit shots
We also got much more scoring from the 4-5 last year with Facey and Brimah
We are playing 3v5 unless we’re in a 3 guard in which case we are undersized.
Instead of pointing fingers at the 3 guys it’s the other two who should be getting hammered.
Polley or Whaley have to step up the sooner the better

Minus 12 games in the middle of the season when Facey was good he was 3 on 5 basically also so take away those I am not at all shortsighted. The only thing missing is the occasional alley oop but minus maybe that once a game not sure how much impact those 6 points a game had on him from Brimah?

Anyway anyone thinking he’s playing as he should be is missing the point. Not asking him to be the savior or Kemba/Bazz like just asking for him to make better decisions and take care of the ball while an occasional solid pass to someone. He should be able to do that no matter who’s out there. And he’s a junior the guys you mentioned are freshman in that case we should expect a kid who is thinking of leaving to do more than the others. Not pointing fingers just pointing out the obvious.

Reaction Score
13 points 2 assists. He’s not a point guard. He’s not a knockdown shooter and even though we lost Gilbert who is supposed to distribute I have to say Jalen is a disappointment. I understand he doesn’t have a great cast to work with too. Arizona has a lot of size and talent but he’s looked bad against mediocrity at times this year.

Trae Young of Oklahoma is leading the country in scoring and assists! They are comparing him to Stephen Curry. He's got a sweet jumper like Curry. Adams may not have as sweet a stroke but he has a lot of talent and Bball IQ. Adams needs to decide if he wants to lead this team. Adams has got to take over. If not, it will be a very long season.

Trae Young lights up Northwestern for 31 points as Oklahoma rolls to 10-1

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Half the people bashing Ollie and the program tell us Adams is leaving for the NBA next year

I can never keep up with the ever changing narrative
What the hell are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Minus 12 games in the middle of the season when Facey was good he was 3 on 5 basically also so take away those I am not at all shortsighted. The only thing missing is the occasional alley oop but minus maybe that once a game not sure how much impact those 6 points a game had on him from Brimah?

Anyway anyone thinking he’s playing as he should be is missing the point. Not asking him to be the savior or Kemba/Bazz like just asking for him to make better decisions and take care of the ball while an occasional solid pass to someone. He should be able to do that no matter who’s out there. And he’s a junior the guys you mentioned are freshman in that case we should expect a kid who is thinking of leaving to do more than the others. Not pointing fingers just pointing out the obvious.

I agree with most of your post except Adams needs to be Kemba. He needs to lead his brothers and take ownership and responsibility ASAP!

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your post except Adams needs to be Kemba. He needs to lead his brothers and take ownership and responsibility ASAP!

He does need to lead I agree so he needs to be Kemba in that manner. He's not Kemba but he's plenty talented to be a very good player and a huge impact to the program in his own way. Needs to mature in many ways, he can do this and for this year to be a success at all he needs to. Let's hope he turns the corner suddenly like most of the past stars have.

Reaction Score
He does need to lead I agree so he needs to be Kemba in that manner. He's not Kemba but he's plenty talented to be a very good player and a huge impact to the program in his own way. Needs to mature in many ways, he can do this and for this year to be a success at all he needs to. Let's hope he turns the corner suddenly like most of the past stars have.

Leadership can be lonely. You need to forget about everybody liking you and realize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Adams needs to be Kevin Ollie on the court. If we see that paradyme shift great results will follow. I know this is repetitive but as Jalen goes, so go the Huskies! I found this write up on qualities of great playmakers. From observation, Jalen has to step it up on #3 and #5. He has to because of Alterique's shoulder problems.

5 Common Qualities Of Elite Playmakers -- Which Ones Do You have? (Does Jalen need to work on?)
- By Joe Haefner

If you want to become an elite playmaker like LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Stephen Curry, and Kyrie Irving, you must develop the qualities below.

After reading the article, we'd also like to hear your thoughts about other qualities that you think are vital for elite guards. Just leave a comment below.

1. Great Ball Handlers - Not Great Dribblers

You might be thinking, DUH! But the truth is that I don't think that many players and even some coaches understand the difference between dribbling and ball handling. I know that I didn't at first.

You can be a great dribbler, but a terrible ball handler. You can also be a great ball handler and a good dribbler.

For example, you might always catch and dribble. You overdribble the ball and the offense stagnates. It takes you 7 dribbles and 4 moves for you to get to the basket from the 3-point line. These are examples of somebody who may be a great dribbler, but a very poor ball handler.

Great ball handling encompasses the skill of dribbling, passing, and the ability to make good decisions on the court. Things like...
  • Dribbling when necessary. Not just catching and pounding the ball.
  • Dribbling effectively. Getting to the basket from anywhere in the half court in 1 to 2 dribbles.
  • Making great decisions in game-like situations such as the fast break, off of ball screens, finding the open man, passing out of traps, etc.
Don't be a great dribbler. Be a great ball handler.

2. Good Shooters That Affect The Game Without Even Shooting

If you want to be a threat on the floor, you absolutely need to work on your shot. Being a good shooter will open driving lanes, passing lanes, and so much more for your team.

If you can shoot the ball and the defense does not close out on you fast enough, you hit the jumper. If they take away the shot, it's time to take it to the hoop, create havoc on the defense, finish at the basket, and create easy scoring opportunities for your teammates.

Now if you don't shoot the ball well, you will have difficulty getting to the basket because the defense doesn't have to rush out on you. You go from multi-threat to a no threat.

Players that can shoot and handle the ball are the best in the business.

3. Play With Composure

Great playmakers have the same mentality when they're down by 20, up by 20, have 4 defenders blitzing them, or playing against sagging zone defense. For these players, it's just time to stay composed, execute, and go to work.

If you get too high or too low, this can affect your play and decision-making. By staying composed and alert, this will dramatically improve your decisions and lead to better team play.

4. Great Finishers

Elite playmakers develop great finishing moves to finish over taller, more athletic players. Each level that you go up in the game of basketball, your goal is to get the ball to the backboard or the rim as quickly as possible as athletic defenders rotating from the weakside make a living blocking the shots off of "dipsy-do" finishers.

You want to develop finishing moves like the quick lay in, the floater, the side step, the quick stop, and the spin fake.

Pick a couple of moves and become great at them. Personally, I like my players to quick stop to change pace and direction to keep the defense off balance and then I'll add one of the moves above based on strengths. Once you become great at those two moves, you can look to add more moves that complement your strengths.

5. Communicate Effectively

There is a difference between communicating and communicating effectively. Being able to communicate your message in a clear, concise manner to your teammates and coaches is critical. Going on a 30 second rant isn't feasible and effective during games.

Say things like…
  • Get your butt down on the box out.
  • Seal him on the backside.
  • Sprint back on D.
  • Finish through the defense.
  • Kick it out when they collapse.
Also being able to communicate in a positive way that your teammates respect you is crucial. If you're going to correct a teammate when they do something wrong, you better be the first one there when they do something right.

Reaction Score
Trae Young of Oklahoma is leading the country in scoring and assists! They are comparing him to Stephen Curry. He's got a sweet jumper like Curry. Adams may not have as sweet a stroke but he has a lot of talent and Bball IQ. Adams needs to decide if he wants to lead this team. Adams has got to take over. If not, it will be a very long season.

Trae Young lights up Northwestern for 31 points as Oklahoma rolls to 10-1
I agree Adams has to take charge
But from the beginning I’m not sure if he ever got the message
Was it Gilbert’s team maybe it was team . I’m I a 1 or a 2?
Teams without a definitive leader rarely do well.
Making better decisions is easy when you have multiple options.
The fewer the options the easies it is to shut them down ,then you really have nothing left.

Reaction Score
I agree Adams has to take charge
But from the beginning I’m not sure if he ever got the message
Was it Gilbert’s team maybe it was team . I’m I a 1 or a 2?
Teams without a definitive leader rarely do well.
Making better decisions is easy when you have multiple options.
The fewer the options the easies it is to shut them down ,then you really have nothing left.

Similar thoughts

Reaction Score
Purvis scored 40 points in the G League last night. Adams is certainly good enough to play in it.
If I were a GM, I'd give him a shot. He's talented, there's no question about it. He just needs to be plugged into the right system with a coach who knows how to properly utilize and motivate him. I think, under the right guidance, he'd be a legitimate All-American caliber player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
JA isn't a leader. Doesn't make him a bad person, but it does make him a bad PG. PG's are the extension of the coach and it's obvious that KO hasn't been able to get anything through to JA. Best way to describe JA's play is aloof. Doesn't play with a sense of time and distance. Not a single UConn player has been elevated by playing alongside JA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom