Our Star Is Jalen Adams? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our Star Is Jalen Adams?

Reaction Score
Half the people bashing Ollie and the program tell us Adams is leaving for the NBA next year

I can never keep up with the ever changing narrative
You're making this up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Half the people bashing Ollie and the program tell us Adams is leaving for the NBA next year

Well, he is...regardless of whether he's ready or not.

Reaction Score
With Anderson limited to 24 minutes due to foul trouble, that put extra pressure on Adams to handle the ball and play extended minutes (39 total). Not ideal. Adams also has to get used to teams focusing their entire defenses on him, because that's going to continue throughout conference play.

Not Jalen's best game by a long shot. He will bounce back.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There’s actually been talk of accepting reality and returning FWIW, but he’s not the biggest genius so that’s no confirmation. But the staff isn’t using his scholarship, and that’s our best indicator IMO.

You're right. They could be pocketing it for another grad transfer or spring decommit though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We’re asking A TON of Adams and Larrier. If only we had an outstanding true point guard who could get them the ball in a position to be successful we’d be a way better team. Oh our true point guards arm fell off? How quickly we forget.

Reaction Score
We’re asking A TON of Adams and Larrier. If only we had an outstanding true point guard who could get them the ball in a position to be successful we’d be a way better team. Oh our true point guards arm fell off? How quickly we forget.
I love Alterique but you watched him and saw a true point guard?

I saw a player with a lot of talent who is a scorer at heart. If only we had a true point guard, a true center, a true power forward etc. etc.

Reaction Score
He looks slow and out of control if that was even possible. Really a major disappointment for this team. He’s neither a leader or the talent we thought and hoped he would be. I can’t imagine he’s out of shape but he sure as hell looks it.
You'd be slow and tired too if you lugged Ollie's golf bag around 18 holes yesterday.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He has the most talent on the team but just isn't a high IQ player.

He's careless with the ball and his body language is abysmal.

That said, he bails us out on offense quite a bit and on a team with any semblance of an offense he'd look better I think.

Reaction Score
Agree with Walton......you need an excellent player (Bazz) surrounded by good players (so to speak).....JA is not excellent, he is very good but he's not surrounded by too many good. AZ had at least 3 excellent players, most teams don't so maybe we win some games but it's going to be a struggle against good teams.

Reaction Score
Look, if we had 4 of Jalen’s quality there is no conversation to be had and we know he’s not a point guard. His handle is OK but no better. A good 3 point shooter he’s not though he can make. Can make the midrange, nice floater, and good drive and finish though he’s squashed by the trees on those at times. He’s not a good enough shooter, it didn’t happen over the summer. When he drives and is blocked there’s no dish which there should be. Akinjo will distribute next year and I hope Jalen stays to benefit from that. Where’s the consistency for him. Disappearing acts often in the first half of games all year. This team needs him to be a great player all the time.

Reaction Score

I agree with your assessment for the most part, but I believe he should be stepping up to be a leader because he could be. He's not a PG may never come close, but he's a junior that they look up to. He needs to stay positive on the court, be more a teacher rather than that guy looking like he's pissed at what a player did when he talks to them. A positive leader, less TO's himself while taking much better care of the ball always. Listen, the kid has a really good handle I think he just gets loose with it in traffic because he thinks he can do anything. Quite honestly there's a lot he can do if he slowed the game down when in the lane and used pump fakes as well as his mid range game. He still made some tremendous plays agin last night he's got game no doubt, just needs to be the guy we can depend on with the ball.

No doubt he'd be better with Alterique playing and that sucks.

Reaction Score

Is JA even good enough to play in the G League?

Reaction Score
He is not having a good start to the year. He has even less help than last year in terms of having other facilitators out there, but he is not succeeding at what he is trying to do. As for not making other players better, the same was said of some of our more successful guards at one point in the past, until they started making other guys play better.

Opposing teams double and triple Adams because he is one of the very few who can hurt them. They don't double anyone else, even Larrier. By definition, this should be creating space for other players.

ONE MORE THING: anyone notice how true his form was when he went up for the second half 3 pointer? He left his feet, shot at the top of his jump, and the whole thing was smooth and true. Swish. None of this set shot stuff.

Someone on the staff MUST have the institutional memory to tell Jalen to go back to how he shot last year. Chillious isn't going to do it. It is up to Ricky Moore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Terry was nice. Instead of Adams chucking up contested shots we should have fed Larrier the ball at the foul line more. He was a moneymaker from there. I thought he was clearly the best player on the floor for us.

Larrier rarely gets open for an uncontested shot. And when he puts the ball on the floor it's an adventure. But very few of our guys make themselves available to Adams with room to shoot (unless it's very deep). As much as we hate that this team doesn't get assists. They have to work to get to good spots where Adams can get them the ball. Adams lack of assists is their fault as much as Adams.

That is the fault of the offense. How many back doors have their been this season? How often do we see a ball passed for an open jumper?

I would love to see Adams improve his handle. To develop a crossover. But even more, I would like to see an offensive concept that gets guys open.

Reaction Score
There won't be a lot of assists because we don't have any real good passers quite honestly. Some are better off just shooting or going to the hole they are such poor passers. Another phase of the game which KO and staff need to recruit better.

Reaction Score
The worst part of Jalen's game is he doesn't make anyone around him better.
Balls on correct! Jalen forces too much in the lane instead of dishing back out to a teammate. Teams are now collapsing and waiting for him.

Reaction Score
Balls on correct! Jalen forces too much in the lane instead of dishing back out to a teammate. Teams are now collapsing and waiting for him.
A side effect of KO's dopey iso offense. It invites JA to take wild drives. JA is very talented but he's not talented enough to consistently put an entire team on his back, which seems to be what KO wants to rely on instead of building a highly functioning multiplayer optioned offense. It can't be screw around up top for 20 seconds, psss to the corner to see if a 3 is available, then pass to the top and JA penetrate and make something happen please.

Reaction Score
A side effect of KO's dopey iso offense. It invites JA to take wild drives. JA is very talented but he's not talented enough to consistently put an entire team on his back, which seems to be what KO wants to rely on instead of building a highly functioning multiplayer optioned offense. It can't be screw around up top for 20 seconds, psss to the corner to see if a 3 is available, then pass to the top and JA penetrate and make something happen please.

Let's not throw JA's inability to know what he's going to do with the ball when he gets doubled or cut off on KO that's ridiculous. Good players have a plan and usually find a pass to throw or don't panic and get out of the jam. He has not figured it out in 2 plus years and that's on him for the most part. Many of of his TO's are in the middle of the 30 second clock.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a good player , but seems to always have bad first halves.
How is he supposed to get lots of assists if the front court people he passes to fumble and kick the ball around?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Jalen is a good player , but seems to always have bad first halves.
How is he supposed to get lots of assists if the front court people he passes to fumble and kick the ball around?
To be fair, Jalen has been fumbling and kicking too...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom