Our 2 freshmen are supremely confident | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our 2 freshmen are supremely confident

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Agree on Gabby but not the other 2. I think Pheesa showed she was a solid player most of the year. And while Tuck didnt do a lot during the year, she broke out in the tourney.

I don't recall Tuck doing much in the NCAA's. Jefferson really took a step up though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't recall Tuck doing much in the NCAA's. Jefferson really took a step up though.
Memory plays tricks on all of us. Mo, was hardly a factor in the national championship game and was spotty throughout the tournament. Doty and Ferris started at guard with Bria Hartley 1st off the bench. Tuck did provide some solid minutes off the bench.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of Megan, Morgan, Pheesa, and Gabby, Gabby had the best freshman season, averaging 8.3 points and 5.7 rebounds, though she struggled with FTs (.462).

Pheesa played the most mpg, 17.2. The others were between 15.5 and 15.8.

Meg’s stat line was very comparable to Morgan’s:

Tuck/Meg

Mpg: 15.8/15.5

Ppg: 6.4/5.8

Rpg: 3.4/3.3

FG%: .454/.444

3pt%: .289/.371

FT%: .667/.755

Meg was the best 3-point shooter of the group and second best FT shooter.

Yes, Morgan started the NCAA tourney with 18 and 11 points. The link to game 3 is faulty. In games 4-6, she scored 6, 4, and 6, about her average.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Memory plays tricks on all of us. Mo, was hardly a factor in the national championship game and was spotty throughout the tournament. Doty and Ferris started at guard with Bria Hartley 1st off the bench. Tuck did provide some solid minutes off the bench.

Jefferson could've been named MVP of the regionals.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Mo played well, averaging 26 minutes, 10 points, and 2 assists. Kaleena averaged 17 ppg, and Stewie averaged 19 ppg.

Jefferson played complete games in the regionals including defensively. They struggled to a tie game though 10 minutes against Kentucky. It was Moriah who changed everything and sparked a huge run. She did the same against Maryland early in the second half.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jefferson played complete games in the regionals including defensively. They struggled to a tie game though 10 minutes against Kentucky. It was Moriah who changed everything and sparked a huge run. She did the same against Maryland early in the second half.
In one of the games, she had 4 steals. I vaguely recall that, as I was there.

Though Stewie was the Final Four MOP, I believe Kaleena was our leading scorer for the tourney (Stewie missed game 1). I believe K had a so-so shooting game against Maryland, which disappointed me, because I was trying to convince my son, who was with me, that women play good ball.

Reaction Score
I’m actually glad she said this. One thing about the last two year team is that they never said they want to want to win the National Championship. They were always saying we have individual goals and we want to be one of those teams playing in April or we want just make the Final Four. While other teams would say our goal only is to win the National Championship (South Carolina, Norte Dame, etc). Breanna Stewart spoke it into existence before and it happened.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of the big differences between these two freshmen and last year’s freshmen is that these two understand that it’s hard, and they understand that it’s supposed to be really hard, and they accept it and they welcome it,” Auriemma said.

When I read the article I knew this statement would raise some eyebrows. As @MilfordHusky said, some kids are recruited as role players, some as potential stars/starters, and some are in-between - no one really knows how good they will be, or if they will end up as simply role players.

Lexi (along with Molly and Kyla) are clearly role players. Andi and Mikayla were the "in-between" players. Meg is expected to be a starter/star at some point. Having said that, I do find it hard to fathom that the quartet class of 2017 did not understand that it's supposed to be really hard, but somehow the class of 2018 magically does. Didn't 2017 go to summer classes? Work out with the team and play during the summer? Talk to the teammates who had been thru it? Read up on other comments from players who endured brutal freshman years at UCONN? But they had no clue that it was going to be really hard as freshmen?

I wonder if Geno was being a bit dramatic with his comments. I somehow doubt all 4 kids somehow just didn't get it, but amazingly, the following class does. Having said that, can't read too much into Geno's comments - could be metaphors, mixed messages, motivational tactics, etc. Clearly not only is he doing something right, but after all the hysteria on the board over "how the freshmen were 'treated'", neither Coombs nor Walker transferred out.

Let's see how they do as sophomores - that will help determine if Geno "played it right" (so to speak) with how he handled them...

Reaction Score
One of the big differences between these two freshmen and last year’s freshmen is that these two understand that it’s hard, and they understand that it’s supposed to be really hard, and they accept it and they welcome it,” Auriemma said.

When I read the article I knew this statement would raise some eyebrows. As @MilfordHusky said, some kids are recruited as role players, some as potential stars/starters, and some are in-between - no one really knows how good they will be, or if they will end up as simply role players.

Lexi (along with Molly and Kyla) are clearly role players. Andi and Mikayla were the "in-between" players. Meg is expected to be a starter/star at some point. Having said that, I do find it hard to fathom that the quartet class of 2017 did not understand that it's supposed to be really hard, but somehow the class of 2018 magically does. Didn't 2017 go to summer classes? Work out with the team and play during the summer? Talk to the teammates who had been thru it? Read up on other comments from players who endured brutal freshman years at UCONN? But they had no clue that it was going to be really hard as freshmen?

I wonder if Geno was being a bit dramatic with his comments. I somehow doubt all 4 kids somehow just didn't get it, but amazingly, the following class does. Having said that, can't read too much into Geno's comments - could be metaphors, mixed messages, motivational tactics, etc. Clearly not only is he doing something right, but after all the hysteria on the board over "how the freshmen were 'treated'", neither Coombs nor Walker transferred out.

Let's see how they do as sophomores - that will help determine if Geno "played it right" (so to speak) with how he handled them...
Agree with all of your points. I also think that the '17 kids were aware of what they were getting into but from my experience, they can hear it multiple times but until they actually get into it, it just doesn't register. As for Auriemma, of course he's being dramatic and using motivational tactics. He likes the attention and having the media hang on every word and using them to send his messages. With these two '18 kids he's not using the usual "semi ignore, break them down" tactic he can use when he's got a veteran, loaded team coming back. To win big he knows he needs these two to be at least "pretty good" so I think he'll use the "inject confidence, coach them up early approach" to get the most out of them he can right off.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t call it 0 for 4. At least Lexi was recruited to be a role player, so we shouldn’t have expected much. Andi was young and immature, which surprised everyone. Meg’s season was roughly on a par with the freshmen seasons of Tuck, Gabby, and Pheesa. I think think she’ll be a star, maybe a Mega-star.

Last year, there were 6 top-10 draft pics ahead of the frosh. This year, there are 3. Context means a lot.
I didn't realize Lexi had been recruited to be a role player. She was way more highly regarded than either Kyla or Molly. She also made the Jordan Brand Classic.

Do you have some inside knowledge here? ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree with all of your points. I also think that the '17 kids were aware of what they were getting into but from my experience, they can hear it multiple times but until they actually get into it, it just doesn't register. As for Auriemma, of course he's being dramatic and using motivational tactics. He likes the attention and having the media hang on every word and using them to send his messages. With these two '18 kids he's not using the usual "semi ignore, break them down" tactic he can use when he's got a veteran, loaded team coming back. To win big he knows he needs these two to be at least "pretty good" so I think he'll use the "inject confidence, coach them up early approach" to get the most out of them he can right off.

I was going to write a short narrative about our new freshmen, but you said the exact same thing I was going to say. Nice post. The consensus here in the yard is that (unlike last year's freshmen), these two will be spared the "semi ignore, break them down" tactics you mentioned.

Posters here have been saying that since mid April. We all know he doesn't have the depth and experience he did last year. No graduate transfers are walking through the door either. He's going to need all of the talent and confidence these two can muster, and hope they're ready to hit the ground running game #1 in November. OJT (the fastest way to learn anything), it's what's for dinner. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Lexi had been recruited to be a role player. She was way more highly regarded than either Kyla or Molly. She also made the Jordan Brand Classic.

I'm not sure Lexie's status has or will be reduced to that role player. I can only speak for myself here. Going strictly on what I saw last season, Lexie was not ready to play at this level, or with this team. Mikayla was injured most of the season, so she could not show us anything. I believe I read (or it was mentioned during a media broadcast) that her conditioning was sub-par, which was one of the reasons she was only put in games the last 2-3 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Perhaps she was recruited to be a role player. If so, I'm not aware of that. What I do know is that we should know what her status is by the Christmas break. She'll be coming off the bench. Which end of the bench she'll be coming off of remains to be seen. If she's made the leap and she's physically ready to play (in basketball shape), she'll play some "meaningful" minutes during the 11 games before the break. If not.......................... :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score

It's going to be a long summer. We can always go back and look at the tournament games again during their freshman year in 2012 against Idaho, Vandy, Maryland, Kentucky, ND & Louisville. :cool: [LINK]

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

No inside knowledge. She was ranked a middling #29 by HG. I saw her in the Jordan Brand game. She made some shots and seemed to hustle. But she’s a bit of a tweeter: not especially tall, strong, or fast. But she’s smart and skilled. She should get some PT this year or next. But she’s no Megan Walker.

As Scoop notes, Lexi’s conditioning was subpar all season. It is probably going to be better this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno was being dramatic. He uses it to motivate. He also likes hyperbole.

The context between last year and this year is huge. That said, I think there is a difference between last year’s group and this year’s group. Andi’s departure affected the frosh. Maybe there was some group phenomenon that dragged Meg down to the level of the others. Christyn and Liv heard all that. They are trying hard to be ready. CW is an Alpha Plus personality. Liv is quieter, but also confident and dedicated.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes, Geno was being dramatic. He uses it to motivate. He also likes hyperbole.

The context between last year and this year is huge. That said, I think there is a difference between last year’s group and this year’s group. Andi’s departure affected the frosh. Maybe there was some group phenomenon that dragged Meg down to the level of the others. Christyn and Liv heard all that. They are trying hard to be ready. CW is an Alpha Plus personality. Liv is quieter, but also confident and dedicated.

You bet it did!!! She was part of their group. The remaining freshmen: Andra is gone, could one of us be next? :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom