Our 2 freshmen are supremely confident | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Our 2 freshmen are supremely confident

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For Geno to say that at her best, Ododa is as good as any post player to come out of high school is pretty amazing, And, he expects her to be ready by season-time. And she understands hard work. That is a recipe for someone who could be important by the end of the season.

Add to that Megan's mental and physical and mental improvement. And that, I think, CW is as good a player offensively ever to come out of high school, and a very good rebounder.

\

For Geno to say that "at her best, Ododa is as good as any post player to come out of high school" is pretty amazing. Or this: "The goat!!! Christyn Williams, more than an athlete. Great human being. Truly etched her legacy in Mike Charles Basketball Academy forever. Been there since 5th grade. Number #1 player in America. So proud of her." It's statements like these that cause many of us to heighten our expectations about a player that we've never seen play in person, or against other D1 level players. If not careful, we may be tempted to believe the hype. In the recruit class of 2018, there were two recruits I really wanted UConn to get, and they got 'em both. To say that I'm excited about our two freshmen is an understatement.

Despite the fact "In Geno I trust", I'm going to take a wait and see approach as to their development. I see and read all of the hype, hoopla and expectations others have for them, and I like it. There's nothing wrong with that. Those are someone else's observations. I'll just wait and see for myself how things develop.

Like everyone else, I want them to have an exceptional freshman year, and meet all of the staff's expectations, never forgetting that they are freshmen, and will encounter some bumps, frustration and growing pains along the way. That's OK. As many upper classmen and UConn graduates have said about your freshman year, "you just have to get through it". This too shall pass. I think these two are special, and will both be OK, and bring lots of smiles, joy and excitement to us all season. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For Geno to say that "at her best, Ododa is as good as any post player to come out of high school" is pretty amazing. It's statements like this that cause many of us to heighten our expectations about a player that we've never seen play in person, or against other D1 level players. If not careful, we tend to believe the hype. In the 2018 class of recruits, there were two recruits I really wanted UConn to get, and they got 'em both. To say that I'm excited about our two freshmen is an understatement.

Despite the fact "In Geno I trust", I'm going to take a wait and see approach as to their development. I see and read all of the hype, hoopla and expectations others have for them. There's nothing wrong with that. To each his own. I'll just wait and see how things develop.

Like everyone else, I want them to have an exceptional freshman year, and meet all of the staff's expectations, never forgetting that they are freshmen, and will encounter some bumps, frustration and growing pains along the way. That's OK. As many upper classmen and UConn graduates have said about your freshman year, "you just have to get through it". This too shall pass. I think these two are special, and will both be OK, and bring lots of smiles, joy and excitement to us all season. :)
I saw them in person and was impressed. I also liked some of the other players and was wowed by DeCosta’s freaky athleticism, but the two kids who impressed me most were Liv and Christyn. They played within a team structure and played to win. Liv’s scoring and rebounding late in the game were the reason her team won. And Christyn wanted a 40’ shot at the buzzer, but never got the ball.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I saw them in person and was impressed. I also liked some of the other players and was wowed by DeCosta’s freaky athleticism, but the two kids who impressed me most were Liv and Christyn. They played within a team structure and played to win. Liv’s scoring and rebounding late in the game were the reason her team won. And Christyn wanted a 40’ shot at the buzzer, but never got the ball.

Thanks Milford. This is the kind of feedback I can appreciate and take to the bank, a rational "eye witness " observation. As you know, you can see things when viewing a game in person that you can't on TV. Some things just don't come across on the tube. I think that because of their basketball IQ, and the obvious necessity for them to perform and contribute consistently this year, both of these young ladies are going to get a lot of playing time, in addition to being an integral part of whatever success the team can attain this year.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Don't feel bad @Kaizen, I didn't either! (I think I was fooled by the thickness of her legs--picture distortion I guess.)
To me it was the fullness of her face. She has not been able to do her usual training for some months now, so maybe that is why we see something slightly different.

Carnac

Reaction Score
“Of course I’m prepared,” Williams said. “I’ve been playing basketball since I was 3. I was born to do this. This is why I came to Connecticut, because I wanted to get better and I knew I was going to have to step up and play because he needs me. So I’m just really excited to do that.”

Who are we to doubt her at THIS point? :rolleyes: Time will tell.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Would you please explain to me (and maybe a few others) what you see in MW that leads you to believe she will be a star, maybe even a Mega star because I just don't see it. While I surely understand that most players struggle their freshman year and every player develops at their own pace, and each year each player has X # of players in front of them, I truly don't get this degree of optimism.
Yes, she had six possible AÀ's ahead of her but clearly no real highly skilled, athletic, highly ranked competition for the very important and needed 7th spot which she was unable to lock it down even though she was injury free previously and her whole freshman year.
While I don't particularly like GA making the comment quoted above publicly, I believe it points to some significant, meaningful differences in preparation and mindset to not only CW and Ono, but any of the previous stars.
Some players have difficulty going from the best or even one of the best HS players in the country to #6 on their own team. Well now at best she might be the fourth best player, or maybe even the sixth best player, as it needs to be earned.
I would just compare her to KLS who also was national HS player of the year. As a freshman she struggled to become the fifth starter but for much of that season she was fighting off a Gabby and Pheesa. Her soph year she began the process of becoming way more than a great outside shooter and became an AÀ. As a junior even with a serious injury, she was thought by many to be the second best player in the country. She now needs to first get fully healthy and conditioned and then struggle again to be the leader on and off the court and in crunch time to make IT happen. Based upon her work ethic, drive and clearly proven accomplishments, she still must work extremely hard to be the national player of the year in college and bring her team a national championship.
Interestingly KLS & MW are both wings or 2 or 3's.
Obviously KLS being 6'3" is a huge advantage. She has worked endlessly so it seems to improve her rebounding and defense. MW is a few inches shorter and while a good rebounder, shooter and defender, I don't see having KLS's enormous drive to get better. I also don't see her skill set as being star let alone mega star caliber. She needs as a soph to do what KLS did as a freshman and become an important but support cog of this years team. Then maybe her junior year can approach or obtain AÀ status, with KLS and Pheesa having graduated.
As I've stated quite often previously here, go out and earn and do it. Not be handed it because of her, yours and many others hopes, dreams and wishes for her success.
I expect MW to be driven by last years results both individually and as a team. I'm pretty damn sure, she now gets it and prepared herself for what U Conn wbb is all about. Now it's totally up to her what's ahead.
Again, I think the "star" player gets what Geno said almost immediately even if they go through learning to be part of a team first and not the star. Also the step up to the college game against older, better players in and of itself is a struggle. Gabby and Kia now experience a similar thing entering their first year in the WNBA. As will KLS and Pheesa next year. All of those four and all prior stars, had all of the game and life experiences that being a significant contributor at U Conn brings.
I truly hope MW as well as CW and Ono, will become very important but secondary cogs to the remaining excellent to superb top three. That's the next step in their development. Not stardom!
Bronx23
Time will tell. But I fully expect Megan to be an AA and first round pick before the show is over.

Carnac

Reaction Score
For Bronx23:

1. Meg was the consensus #1 recruit. I doubt everyone was wrong.

2. She showed flashes of brilliance against UCLA, ND, and Temple.

3. Last year was an odd year, as there may have been a negative dynamic among the freshman, partly including Andi’s situation. For whatever reason, the frosh adapted slowly.

4. Meg wasn’t in shape and struggled with decision making, as most freshmen do. She also was deferential and passed the ball to Lou whenever possible (though that’s often a good idea). See Crystal’s comments about freshman year. That seems to be behind her.

5. Geno was unusually hard on her because he could afford to be. He talked up her talent but not her effort.

6. Meg didn’t leave or pout. She got to work. She worked out with Pheesa this summer and impressed her trainer.

7. Her teammates say Meg is the most improved this year. They said that about Crystal last year, and it was true.

8. Meg sees that the freshman are competing. She has enough pride that she doesn't want them to pass her.

9. Every year, we have unanswered questions. Look at the sophomore leaps by Moriah, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, and Crystal. I expect Meg to follow that pattern.

10. With those unanswered questions, we have to take some things on faith. I have faith in Geno, his staff, and the system. I also have faith in Megan Walker.

I agree with all 10 of Milford's points ....................and I heartily endorse this post. :cool:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

And effort. Got a tie up to change possessions and then tipped the ball back for the winning shot.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You can tell it's nowhere near November with this kind of effusive praise.

Geno Auriemma:

“One of the big differences between these two freshmen and last year’s freshmen is that these two understand that it’s hard, and they understand that it’s supposed to be really hard, and they accept it and they welcome it.”

“Christyn is just a powerful kid. Her game is powerful, and Olivia is smooth and, like most kids who have surgery in high school, she’s not recovered yet. She’s not nearly strong enough, she’s nowhere near being where she needs to be strength-wise to be able to be a good player.”

“They better have an impact this year. I mean, I would think. I’m not saying we’re going to go into any game and say ‘Listen, it’s on you guys.’ That’s not going to happen, but we certainly need them to play and be a part of it. They didn’t come here to sit on the bench, neither of them. And they didn’t come here to watch and cheer. They came here to play, and they’re going to contribute, believe me. They’re going to contribute a lot. They really are.”

UConn Women's Basketball Upperclassmen Impressed With Freshmen

Carnac

Reaction Score
Would you please explain to me (and maybe a few others) what you see in MW that leads you to believe she will be a star, maybe even a Mega star because I just don't see it. While I surely understand that most players struggle their freshman year and every player develops at their own pace, and each year each player has X # of players in front of them, I truly don't get this degree of optimism.

Yes, she had six possible AÀ's ahead of her but clearly no real highly skilled, athletic, highly ranked competition for the very important and needed 7th spot which she was unable to lock it down even though she was injury free previously and her whole freshman year. While I don't particularly like GA making the comment quoted above publicly, I believe it points to some significant, meaningful differences in preparation and mindset to not only CW and Ono, but any of the previous stars.

Some players have difficulty going from the best or even one of the best HS players in the country to #6 on their own team. Well now at best she might be the fourth best player, or maybe even the sixth best player, as it needs to be earned. I would just compare her to KLS who also was national HS player of the year. As a freshman she struggled to become the fifth starter but for much of that season she was fighting off a Gabby and Pheesa.

Her soph year she began the process of becoming way more than a great outside shooter and became an AÀ. As a junior even with a serious injury, she was thought by many to be the second best player in the country. She now needs to first get fully healthy and conditioned and then struggle again to be the leader on and off the court and in crunch time to make IT happen. Based upon her work ethic, drive and clearly proven accomplishments, she still must work extremely hard to be the national player of the year in college and bring her team a national championship.

Interestingly KLS & MW are both wings or 2 or 3's. Obviously KLS being 6'3" is a huge advantage. She has worked endlessly so it seems to improve her rebounding and defense. MW is a few inches shorter and while a good rebounder, shooter and defender, I don't see having KLS's enormous drive to get better. I also don't see her skill set as being star let alone mega star caliber. She needs as a soph to do what KLS did as a freshman and become an important but support cog of this years team. Then maybe her junior year can approach or obtain AÀ status, with KLS and Pheesa having graduated.

As I've stated quite often previously here, go out and earn and do it. Not be handed it because of her, yours and many others hopes, dreams and wishes for her success. I expect MW to be driven by last years results both individually and as a team. I'm pretty damn sure, she now gets it and prepared herself for what U Conn wbb is all about. Now it's totally up to her what's ahead.

Again, I think the "star" player gets what Geno said almost immediately even if they go through learning to be part of a team first and not the star. Also the step up to the college game against older, better players in and of itself is a struggle. Gabby and Kia now experience a similar thing entering their first year in the WNBA. As will KLS and Pheesa next year. All of those four and all prior stars, had all of the game and life experiences that being a significant contributor at U Conn brings.

I truly hope MW as well as CW and Ono, will become very important but secondary cogs to the remaining excellent to superb top three. That's the next step in their development. Not stardom!
Bronx23

I read your post, but was not going to respond because I knew others would. Then, I had a thought that I had to share..........to answer your query in a few words (the best answer I can give you).........................We can all agree that there will be some players from this class recognized as ALL-Americans during the next four years because of their above average proven skill set and abilities on the court.

Well, these two young ladies are recognized by people (that do this full time for a living) that watch and observe high school age players all over the country year round, then rank or classify them. Keep in mind that there are some extremely talented and gifted players in this class, some of which will go on to play at the next level. In this class, Williams is ranked #1, she is recognized as the best player in the country!!! ONO is right behind her at #5. ONO is rated #1 or #2 post player depending on which service you look at (Collier/Texas #1) in the country by Prospects Nation.

They are at the TOP of every scouting and recruit evaluation service in the country. So when you read comments from posters here, you're reading our opinions some of which are largely based on the reports we've received from those outlets, some from other posters that have also observed them play in person.
We also have Geno's assessments and expectations that we've seen or read in media clips and publications. When you have the #1 guard and post player in the country on your team, it's hard not to boast, and be a little optimistic about their future. I hope this helps.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks Milford. This is the kind of feedback I can appreciate and take to the bank, a rational "eye witness " observation. As you know, you can see things when viewing a game in person that you can't on TV. Some things just don't come across on the tube. I think that because of their basketball IQ, and the obvious necessity for them to perform and contribute consistently this year, both of these young ladies are going to get a lot of playing time, in addition to being an integral part of whatever success the team can attain this year.
JordyG was with me. I’m pretty sure he concurs. These kids have “it.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with all 10 of Milford's points .....and I heartily endorse this post. :cool:
Thanks, my friend. The check’s in the mail. ;)

Seriously, there are questions, but every year, they get answered pretty well. We have competitive kids who were ranked 1, 1, 1, 3, 5, and 6 in their respective classes. (The #6 player has already been a collegiate All-American, the #5 player was ranked #1 and may still be by some, and the #3 player was behind 2 players who are 6’3” and 6’5”.) That makes me optimistic.

Reaction Score
For Geno to say that "at her best, Ododa is as good as any post player to come out of high school" is pretty amazing.

Why is it amazing? She was ranked in the top 10, if not top 5, by everyone. I would expect her coach to say she's as good as any other HS post player.

Reaction Score
In the picture? That is Kyla, not Lou! Other pictures from the Courant name them at the tourney.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love it, and I am looking forward to watching her and Olivia play. I believe this is going to be another amazing season.

Reaction Score
I agree with all 10 of Milford's points .....and I heartily endorse this post. :cool:[/QUOTE
I agree with all 10 of Milford's points .....and I heartily endorse this post. :cool:
i guess I agree with some of your points but disagree with others. Also it clearly strikes me that even within
your points you only want to see the positive!
1) Yes she surely was the consensus # 1 in HS. It surely won't be the first time that a strong majority were off a bit or more.
2) I agree with you here. I just wonder how it was only three games that's less than 10% of the sample. And at best in a few other games she was decent. Also remember much of the time she couldn't excel against the other teams subs in blowouts. These were mostly not very highly ranked players in HS.
3) I agree that it appears something happened with last years freshman class. The four seemed to be very close, and with one having some unknown issues, leading to her transferring out. Seems it may have contributed to bringing MW down some, rather than her bringing them up.
4) This may be her biggest problem the two points you made about her not being in shape and not always making good decisions and deferring to KLS. Yes most freshman struggle but being out of shape and deferring to me at least doesn't point to an AÀ player. Also remember she might still be deferring to KLS, Pheesa, CD and maybe the two freshman, who are going to give her serious runs for the next two started and significant contributors.
5) I don't agree that Geno was very hard on her, more so than any player he expects great things from. That's why top players choose U Conn to be pushed to be great. Also he very much needed her to grab that 7th spot and strive for more.
6) Agree here mostly that she didn't leave or pout, she got to work. Shouldn't that be a given if she's trying to develop and become an AÀ.
Now let's just wait and see her do it repeatedly in practice and in many games.
7) Shouldnt she be most improved
of the remaining players remaining from last year. CD surely isn't going to say that about KLS, Pheesa or herself. She's also not comparing her to the two freshman as obviously was talking about returning players not the two freshmen.
8) Yes she hopefully has the pride to not let the two freshman pass her. I think as the season progresses you will see both CW & Ono possibly both starting or at least making significant contributions.
9) Agree with all the players you mentioned making significant leaps their soph seasons. I have not said that MW won't or can't also do so. But it again has to be demonstrated in real time, not handed to her because she was NPOY in HS. As I've mentioned I'm not convinced at this point that her skill set and the psychological and emotional translate fully in the much tougher college game. Comparing her to CW I don't see the same drive, confidence and work ethic (that you yourself mentioned) in your comments,
10) Theres no doubt about Geno, CD and the coaching staff qualifications and accomplishments. Almost every time they are spot on. But they are human and once in awhile but not often over evaluate or even under evaluate players and people.
I'm sorry as I have seemingly done the opposite of you, and pointed out lots of negatives
My real guess is that it will fall somewhere in between and that MW might become a very good college player but I don't see her reaching the KLS, Pheesa, Gabby, Kia and CD levels.
Your comments and support in them from others here, might be correct. I will then be very happy for MW and admit my analysis was way off.
Bronx23

Carnac

Reaction Score

Bronx, it's OK. I've read enough of your posts to respect your takes, most of which either I agree with, or can see your point of view. None of us are going to see everything the same way all the time. That's why we come here, to read the thoughts and opinions of others, be enlightened (read about any breaking news, transfers or UConn commitments, etc.), as well as share ours.

Most of us can do this respectfully without putting others down or discounting their comments or opinions (or state of mind) because we don't think their take is rational or makes sense. Some of these folks have inside information that the rest of us don't have, or have access to. If you're in the yard long enough, it's not hard to figure out who they are.

I'm not a "doom & gloom" guy. I try to take an optimistic approach where our team, players and coaches are concerned. I see the glass as half full, not half empty. It works for me. I'm just a fan from the other side of the country. WCBB is not that serious (life or death) to me, but I am all in on this program, and I do want them to win more chips. I enjoy following the UConn women. It's a nice temporary distraction from the rigors of everyday life.

Hey Bronx, we're good. One thing that I would ask though, It would be easier to read your comments if you used paragraphs. The first time I posted a comment a few years ago (I changed my handle last August), I wrote a long narrative without any spaces. Several Boneyarders asked me to use paragraphs because they had trouble reading it.

Thanks. ;)

Reaction Score
Bronx, it's OK. I've read enough of your posts to respect your takes, most of which either I agree with, or can see your point of view. None of us are going to see everything the same way all the time. That's why we come here, to read the thoughts and opinions of others, be enlightened (read about any breaking news, transfers or UConn commitments, etc.), as well as share ours.

Most of us can do this respectfully without putting others down or discounting their comments or opinions (or state of mind) because we don't think their take is rational or makes sense. Some of these folks have inside information that the rest of us don't have, or have access to. If you're in the yard long enough, it's not hard to figure out who they are.

I'm not a "doom & gloom" guy. I try to take an optimistic approach where our team, players and coaches are concerned. I see the glass as half full, not half empty. It works for me. I'm just a fan from the other side of the country. WCBB is not that serious (life or death) to me, but I am all in on this program, and I do want them to win more chips. I enjoy following the UConn women. It's a nice temporary distraction from the rigors of everyday life.

Hey Bronx, we're good. One thing that I would ask though, It would be easier to read your comments if you used paragraphs. The first time I posted a comment a few years ago (I changed my handle last August), I wrote a long narrative without any spaces. Several Boneyarders asked me to use paragraphs because they had trouble reading it.

Thanks. ;)
Scoop,
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
I apologize if I was not respectful in my comments / disagreements.
I also will try using more paragraphs.
Thanks again!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44