OUCH: Huffington Post singles out McCombs for assault | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OUCH: Huffington Post singles out McCombs for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's what I don't get...

"According to the report, UConn police responded to LaFlesche [on-campus apartments] after an alarmed resident called and said that a male and female were involved in a domestic dispute late Thursday night. According to the police report, it was learned that McCombs was yelling and had spit at and pushed his girlfriend while outside of a residential hall.

McCombs was arrested at 12:19 a.m. Friday; Jones, of Stratford, was arrested an hour later and charged with the same thing, second-degree breach of peace. She was released on a $500 non-surety bond, according to the report, which also said Jones was yelling, had spit on and scratched and pushed her boyfriend outside of a residential hall."

So the girlfriend was arrested/charged for the same thing as Lyle, but this witness seems to be making a much larger deal out of what Lyle did without mentioning that the girlfriend was also charged. Is that because the police decided not to charge him with what he really did, or is it because she did not see what the girlfriend also did in the altercation since she admittedly did not see the entire event?

Reaction Score
Twisting words and taking out of context: the 'lunatic behavoir' if you quoted my entire post, refers to their claiming the rape trail promotes rape. Just like the new UCONN logo promotes rape. Those two by themselves = feminist lunatics.

Using the attorney and their clients claims, they might as well file a lawsuit against the entire country, since Detroit and Bridgeport and any other city that has crime also incites rape and muggings and murder.

UCONN's response to any claims of s e xual assault are ALWAYS investigated in a serious manner. Police are on scene in moments for public incidents. The security call boxes are everywhere on campus. You can't charge someone in a case when there isn't evidence to back up a person's claim just like any other crime. UCONN does have s e xual assault classes. I've been through them. It's mandatory freshman year as part of the orientation class. That was way back in 2003.

How was I supposed to know that the lunatic comment was about the rape trail? It was a totally different paragraph. I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm going to assume however that something known on campus as the "rape trail" does not promote respect and brotherhood.

I thought the logo thing was a huge stretch. Then I learned that this woman was sexually assaulted. Let's just say her experience of life at UConn is very different than yours, and that whatever she wrote, no matter how off target it sounds, is probably related to her experience.

"UConn ALWAYS" investigates sexual assaults in a serious manner?

This is exactly what is being discussed here, whether or not it does. You are essentially calling these women liars for the way they have portrayed in narrative form their interactions with UConn officials.

Reaction Score
You clearly don't know much about s e xual assault. My sister was s e xually assaulted while intoxicated and both the police and the nurse who gave her the rape kit both basically blamed her for getting drunk with this guy and implied it was her fault. If you think this doesn't happen, then I don't know what to tell you. But I promise you, it does. My sister is not a lunatic feminist. And there are millions more like her out there.

This stuff happens all the time. At UConn and everywhere else. Implying that because people get kicked out of dorms for underage drinking that somehow the police aren't capable of victim-blaming is misguided and flat-out foolish.

Personally, I give great credit to the lunatic feminists who push back on this and create such a ruckus.

Reaction Score
McCombs, SMH. I'll be happy when he's moved on. I wish him now ill will, but come on man. This isn't even the girl who was assaulted who is saying it, this was someone who witnessed it out their window, allegedly.

P, is the single worst thing to happen to UConn football, since we've gone FBS. He was a disaster of a coach in every way conceivable. He basically got a hook up from Hathaway. "Come back home to CT, take all this cash to set up your retirement, and if the program burns to the ground don't worry about it." That is my take on how this has worked out. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Here's what I don't get...

"According to the report, UConn police responded to LaFlesche [on-campus apartments] after an alarmed resident called and said that a male and female were involved in a domestic dispute late Thursday night. According to the police report, it was learned that McCombs was yelling and had spit at and pushed his girlfriend while outside of a residential hall.

McCombs was arrested at 12:19 a.m. Friday; Jones, of Stratford, was arrested an hour later and charged with the same thing, second-degree breach of peace. She was released on a $500 non-surety bond, according to the report, which also said Jones was yelling, had spit on and scratched and pushed her boyfriend outside of a residential hall."

So the girlfriend was arrested/charged for the same thing as Lyle, but this witness seems to be making a much larger deal out of what Lyle did without mentioning that the girlfriend was also charged. Is that because the police decided not to charge him with what he really did, or is it because she did not see what the girlfriend also did in the altercation since she admittedly did not see the entire event?

She says in the article that there were other witnesses and she implies that her testimony conflicts with that of the others. But again, when you have conflicting testimony, there is going to be that sort of confusion. For me, the focus of the article was on the administrator's response. It was ridiculously bad beyond belief. There is a professional on staff at UConn who has just been called out publically.

Reaction Score
How was I supposed to know that the lunatic comment was about the rape trail? It was a totally different paragraph. I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm going to assume however that something known on campus as the "rape trail" does not promote respect and brotherhood.

I thought the logo thing was a huge stretch. Then I learned that this woman was s e xually assaulted. Let's just say her experience of life at UConn is very different than yours, and that whatever she wrote, no matter how off target it sounds, is probably related to her experience.

"UConn ALWAYS" investigates s e xual assaults in a serious manner?

This is exactly what is being discussed here, whether or not it does. You are essentially calling these women liars for the way they have portrayed in narrative form their interactions with UConn officials.

Yes I am. It gets articles like this written about a trail that was nicknamed by students because it had lack of lighting when it was first built: https://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/11/06/uconns-rape-trail-symbol-schools-larger-problem

Guess what, UCONN heard those concerns and added a ton of lights, security phones AND security cameras to help those that were worreid about walking on it, feel better. What exactly is UCONN supposed to do? Tell students you can't call it the Rape Trail? UCONN officials sure as hell don't call it the rape trail. They don't promote it as the rape trail. In fact during weekends, when it is being used the most, police have checkpoints throughout the trail to ensure everyone is safe.

Here's a quote fromt he article: "Regardless if there is any truth to the nickname of the trail, which was built in the 1990s to connect the Celeron Square Apartments to campus, several students say the name itself is indicative of the “rape culture” on campus. “This culture is being bred here,” Brittnie Carrier, a UConn senior, said during last week's rally."

Pure ludicrous.

The steps UCONN has taken to change the tone of the school from a party school to an actual respected and highly thought of university has been incredible. I was there when they cut down on Spring Weekend and shut off access to Carriage to residents only to minimize partying. The culture of UCONN has completely changed at UCONN to make it a safer place. So yes, I am calling these girls liars when they claim UCONN does not listen to sexual assault accusations. Hell, the main assault she is talking about was investigated by police, who found a need to NOT send McCombs to court.

What more can the school do?

Reaction Score
Yes I am. It gets articles like this written about a trail that was nicknamed by students because it had lack of lighting when it was first built: https://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/11/06/uconns-rape-trail-symbol-schools-larger-problem

Guess what, UCONN heard those concerns and added a ton of lights, security phones AND security cameras to help those that were worreid about walking on it, feel better. What exactly is UCONN supposed to do? Tell students you can't call it the Rape Trail? UCONN officials sure as hell don't call it the rape trail. They don't promote it as the rape trail. In fact during weekends, when it is being used the most, police have checkpoints throughout the trail to ensure everyone is safe.

Here's a quote fromt he article: "Regardless if there is any truth to the nickname of the trail, which was built in the 1990s to connect the Celeron Square Apartments to campus, several students say the name itself is indicative of the “rape culture” on campus. “This culture is being bred here,” Brittnie Carrier, a UConn senior, said during last week's rally."

Pure ludicrous.

The steps UCONN has taken to change the tone of the school from a party school to an actual respected and highly thought of university has been incredible. I was there when they cut down on Spring Weekend and shut off access to Carriage to residents only to minimize partying. The culture of UCONN has completely changed at UCONN to make it a safer place. So yes, I am calling these girls liars when they claim UCONN does not listen to s e xual assault accusations. Hell, the main assault she is talking about was investigated by police, who found a need to NOT send McCombs to court.

Let me add - SEVERAL STUDENTS out of how many? The entire school? Could the SEVERAL STUDENTS be the seven that are raising an issue for pure publicity? Once again, if a school works with the police and an investigation was done and nothing could be found or proven, what is the schoool supposed to do? Make up a story about the accused to get that person kicked out of school? Please enlighten me.

Alyssa, who wrote the Huffington Post piece complains that the counselor at UCONN didn't recommend she change housing locations or anything like that. Why didn't Alyssa, if she felt so uncomfortable and so afraid of her living arrangements NOT ASK to change her housing location. Maybe it's because she wasn't as worried about it at the time and she is blowing out of proportion the actual events that transpired becuase she sees an opportunity to get her agenda out there. In addition, if something as drastic as this happened, WHERE THE HELL WERE HER PARENTS during the times she was scared and afraid? I think any parent out there if aware of what was going on would be screaming from every mountain top until justice was done.

Reaction Score

Pure ludicrous.

The steps UCONN has taken to change the tone of the school from a party school to an actual respected and highly thought of university has been incredible. I was there when they cut down on Spring Weekend and shut off access to Carriage to residents only to minimize partying. The culture of UCONN has completely changed at UCONN to make it a safer place. So yes, I am calling these girls liars when they claim UCONN does not listen to s e xual assault accusations. Hell, the main assault she is talking about was investigated by police, who found a need to NOT send McCombs to court.

I've never heard of the rape trail. You are way off on a tangent.

Reaction Score
But since we're getting tangential, there's a nearby high school here that's been nicknamed Heroin High. It's had that nickname for about 5 years. A student overdosed there. When they interviewed the local police chief about it, he stated that the nickname was totally overblown and hyperbolic. When the police did an informal study/survey through a local university of the prevalence of hard drugs at the school, they discovered the reality was much lower than you'd assume given the school's nickname of Heroin High. They determined that only about 15% of the students were addicted to heroin.

Reaction Score
If 15 % of the school is addicted to heroine and other hard drugs then it deserves the moniker.

Except in this case, 15% of the UCONN population is not committing rape or abusing women.

Look, 1 rape at the school is too much, there's no doubting that. I also can easily make an assumption that the school is not covering up any ANY sexual abuses or rapes.

Need I remind anyone that Joe Williams is still suspended because he is still having a court matter? Sexual assault and rapes are easily more of an offense than what Joe Williams did. Any player or student would not be enrolled at school if it was proven they participated in or carried out a rape or sexual assault, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
I've never heard of the rape trail. You are way off on a tangent.

I am not off on a tangent. The article clearly states and is titled: "UCONN's rape trail is symbol of school's larger problem"

This is only a discussion because the women, including the writer of the article that started this thread, are trying to make it an issue.

Reaction Score
This is only a discussion because the women, including the writer of the article that started this thread, are trying to make it an issue.

Have you actually read the allegations in the 38 page lawsuit filed by the 4 students?

Reaction Score
I am not off on a tangent. The article clearly states and is titled: "UCONN's rape trail is symbol of school's larger problem"

Anything called the rape trail should be an issue.

But it's not relevant to what we're discussing here. The administration has been repeatedly deaf to criticism of their procedures in dealing with sexual assault and other assaults.

Reaction Score

But it's not relevant to what we're discussing here. The administration has been repeatedly deaf to criticism of their procedures in dealing with s e xual assault and other assaults.

It is not an issue - if you read my earlier posts - I'll post it here again, you'll realize it is not an issue. Or you can pretend that it is an issue.

It gets articles like this written about a trail that was nicknamed by students because it had lack of lighting when it was first built: https://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/11/06/uconns-rape-trail-symbol-schools-larger-problem

Reaction Score
But since we're getting tangential, there's a nearby high school here that's been nicknamed Heroin High. It's had that nickname for about 5 years. A student overdosed there. When they interviewed the local police chief about it, he stated that the nickname was totally overblown and hyperbolic. When the police did an informal study/survey through a local university of the prevalence of hard drugs at the school, they discovered the reality was much lower than you'd assume given the school's nickname of Heroin High. They determined that only about 15% of the students were addicted to heroin.
well, if you read the article in this case there is some data and it is pretty skimpy to support the name. It was originally a dark somewhat lonely out of the way shortcut. That is where the name originated. Probably there are some urban myths about how it earned the name, too at this point... My sense is that lots of this is being blown way out of proportion, but that UConn is also somewhat disfunctional when it comes to dealing with this issue, too. Seems that there are multiple places where possible assaults are reported, problematic inter-departmental communication, differing approaches from different departments, and likely some folks who said dumb things at various times. And a president who made some poorly vetted comments. As far as some of the evidence, I'm not so sure it means much...for example the crowd cheering when some rapper mentioned the rape trail...probably would have cheered just as much if he mentioned Gampel Pavillion or Gulley Hall or Branford (at least the kids from Branford would have cheered then). Most performers know that the easiest way to get a cheer is to mention some local landmark...and given the nature of much rap, the rape trail was more likely than the Homer Babbidge Library...None of this is to downplay the seriousness of the crimes or the real hurt felt by the victims, either. I'm just not sure I buy "the culture of rape" thing. there may be problems among certain groups. Deal with them. There may be other problems that contribute, like binge drinking, underage drinking and so forth that in many instances contribute to the problem. Deal with that. there may also be places that are relatively dangerous, particularly at night. Address those. And encourage students to be smart and act intelligently. If some place is perceived as unsafe, for heaven sakes, don't go there after dark alone. Yes you have a right to do it. It shouldn't be like that, but sometimes you have to deal with the facts as they are, not as they should be. And as far as UConn goes, they really need to get their act together. Get a consistent policy that everyone follows from the police to the office of student affairs to the medical people to the President. I'd recommend that all sexual assaults be reported to the police, wherever the report originates.

Reaction Score
Have you actually read the allegations in the 38 page lawsuit filed by the 4 students?

I just did. And while I'm certain that there is no "systemic" instructions from the leadership of the University to bury these things, I cannot even believe that this many people acted so callously towards these girls. I'm appalled and embarrassed. I don't blame Herbst for this but a LOT of people need to be fired if this is the way these things are actually handled. I know it wasn't like that when I was there. No chance our Hall Director would have dismissed anything like that. And while I'm not a fan of Allred and her tactics, I'm not sure what other choice these girls had if they actually want anything to change.

The stuff about the "rape trail" is more sensationalistic than anything, but the actual things that happened to these women should never happen, and the University did not do its job (as a whole).

Reaction Score

But it's not relevant to what we're discussing here. The administration has been repeatedly deaf to criticism of their procedures in dealing with s e xual assault and other assaults.

Right. But the school doesn't like the Jungle being called the Jungle either. Try stopping that.

Reaction Score
well, if you read the article in this case there is some data and it is pretty skimpy to support the name. It was originally a dark somewhat lonely out of the way shortcut. That is where the name originated. Probably there are some urban myths about how it earned the name, too at this point... My sense is that lots of this is being blown way out of proportion, but that UConn is also somewhat disfunctional when it comes to dealing with this issue, too. Seems that there are multiple places where possible assaults are reported, problematic inter-departmental communication, differing approaches from different departments, and likely some folks who said dumb things at various times. And a president who made some poorly vetted comments. As far as some of the evidence, I'm not so sure it means much...for example the crowd cheering when some rapper mentioned the rape trail...probably would have cheered just as much if he mentioned Gampel Pavillion or Gulley Hall or Branford (at least the kids from Branford would have cheered then). Most performers know that the easiest way to get a cheer is to mention some local landmark...and given the nature of much rap, the rape trail was more likely than the Homer Babbidge Library...None of this is to downplay the seriousness of the crimes or the real hurt felt by the victims, either. I'm just not sure I buy "the culture of rape" thing. there may be problems among certain groups. Deal with them. There may be other problems that contribute, like binge drinking, underage drinking and so forth that in many instances contribute to the problem. Deal with that. there may also be places that are relatively dangerous, particularly at night. Address those. And encourage students to be smart and act intelligently. If some place is perceived as unsafe, for heaven sakes, don't go there after dark alone. Yes you have a right to do it. It shouldn't be like that, but sometimes you have to deal with the facts as they are, not as they should be. And as far as UConn goes, they really need to get their act together. Get a consistent policy that everyone follows from the police to the office of student affairs to the medical people to the President. I'd recommend that all s e xual assaults be reported to the police, wherever the report originates.

Correct - for those that never attended UCONN, the 'rape trail,' is the path most take to the off campus parties on weekends. So the term - 'to the rape trail!' is common among students because its been passed on through the years as the place to get to the best parties. Hence why the crowd cheered during the rap concert during it's mention. It means something to people, just like Gampel.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm too (whatever the opposite of old fashioned is) and cynical, but I see this suit as a complete farce devised solely to garner attention and a check.

Whatever underlying attacks there may or may not have been, is not the point of the suit. The point they are trying to establish is that UConn has an absolute responsibility for safety or, at a minimum, UConn has a responsibility to follow it's own policies with regard to reported crimes.

The first one is absurd, they provide all the public safety facilities commonly used as any other school of its size. As for the second, short of systematic disregard for the process (not outcomes), I don't see a lot here short of some individuals not doing their jobs. None of it reaches the level of holding an entire University of 30,000 people accountable, whatever sympathy you may feel for these women.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Correct - for those that never attended UCONN, the 'rape trail,' is the path most take to the off campus parties on weekends. So the term - 'to the rape trail!' is common among students because its been passed on through the years as the place to get to the best parties. Hence why the crowd cheered during the rap concert during it's mention. It means something to people, just like Gampel.

Is the "rape trail" = the Ho Chi Minh trail? Just looking for context here. If it's the same trail, remember it being outer space dark and covered by thick brush and trees. In other words, a perfect recipe for these sick acts.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why should she have to move? She's not the one who is accused of committing a crime.

Accused is way shy of investigated, arrested, charged or convicted. The mistake here is that making an accusation is sufficient to cover everything. There of plenty of stories about people with actual restraining orders being killed by their attackers. It is sad but it's the reality of the limitations of our justice system. The accused has a right to due process and unfortunately the accusers have certain responsibilities above and beyond making an initial accusation.

Feeling uncomfortable isn't high on any law enforcement list of priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom