OUCH: Huffington Post singles out McCombs for assault | The Boneyard

OUCH: Huffington Post singles out McCombs for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure the Boneyard was 100% in disagreement with the lack of suspension on this one.

UConn may have a real problem on it's hands with this scandal.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure the Boneyard was 100% in disagreement with the lack of suspension on this one.

UConn may have a real problem on it's hands with this scandal.

As opposed to FSU?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hopefully someone digs up those threads. Plenty called P out that day.

The fact P lasted as long as he did is a disgrace.

Reaction Score
I for one believe her. What did she have to gain? Totally botched and Pres. Herbst who had nothing to do with it should get as far in front as possible. If the system was broken take steps to fix it. Actions have consequences and 15 minutes was a joke.

She needs to be careful here. This could become very messy for the university. At a time that SH is trying to increase the quality of the university and chasing the elusive AAU membership UCONN cannot have the perception that this is an ongoing problem. I agree that since she had no involvement she should get out in front of it.

http://www.insidehighered.com/quick...n-president-responds-anger-title-ix-complaint

Reaction Score
I for one believe her. What did she have to gain? Totally botched and Pres. Herbst who had nothing to do with it should get as far in front as possible. If the system was broken take steps to fix it. Actions have consequences and 15 minutes was a joke.

The almighty dollar........

All she is seeing is $

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I personally saw UConn turn a blind eye to anti-Semitism when I was a student at the school, as a victim of repeated incidents. So this doesn't exactly shock me.

Reaction Score
Hopefully someone digs up those threads. Plenty called P out that day.

The fact P lasted as long as he did is a disgrace.

Wasn't he punished the game following after what he got initially wasn't enough?

I guess Desmond Conner and Co. never thought this was a big enough deal to call P out on it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wasn't he punished the game following after what he got initially wasn't enough?

I guess Desmond Conner and Co. never thought this was a big enough deal to call P out on it.

Yeah there have been rumors that an 'injury' wasn't an injury.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-herbst-mchugh-uconn-1113-20131113,0,3663053.story

Herbst now says her remarks were "misconstrued." She says she was addressing concerns about the general culture regarding sexual violence at UConn, and the suggestion that the university does not take such allegations seriously, and not the specifics of the women's complaint.

Herbst just keeps digging a bigger hole here. She is dismissing out of hand the allegations of UConn mishandling these cases. I don't think anyone interpreted her earlier comments as being dismissive of the actual assaults. The uproar has been caused by a few choice quotes the women gave about what was said to them by several Uconn administrators in various offices, including the police. No one here is really qualified to judge whether the rapes and assaults took place. I think her comments were almost universally understood to mean that Uconn does not have a systematic problem when it comes to procedure. This is why her comments today seem like dissembling to me, or worse doubling down.

At the very least, she needs a lot of help in figuring out how to properly respond. You would think an institution of higher learning which prides itself on imparting such capabilities to students would be able to demonstrate how an institution reacts to allegations (both publically and internally).

Reaction Score
Wow. That's... yeah, that's a solid disgrace.

The sad part is that I think this is absolutely common among college Universities, especially large schools with large athletic departments. But everywhere really.

Administrations can keep issuing flat denials, but I'm glad I don't have a daughter in college.

Reaction Score
I remember posting during that RU game last what a disgrace it was that McCombs was even on the bus to Piscataway. And if McComb's hand injury wasn't legit and this was a way to punish him for the Temple game......well I don't even know what to say.

The administration, the school, and the football program are deserving of this criticism.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-herbst-mchugh-uconn-1113-20131113,0,3663053.story

Herbst just keeps digging a bigger hole here. She is dismissing out of hand the allegations of UConn mishandling these cases. I don't think anyone interpreted her earlier comments as being dismissive of the actual assaults. The uproar has been caused by a few choice quotes the women gave about what was said to them by several Uconn administrators in various offices, including the police. No one here is really qualified to judge whether the rapes and assaults took place. I think her comments were almost universally understood to mean that Uconn does not have a systematic problem when it comes to procedure. This is why her comments today seem like dissembling to me, or worse doubling down.

Not true Upstater - SH got universally destroyed by her previous comments - she need to do damage control. http://www.nhregister.com/opinion/2...guided-in-response-to-s e xual-assault-claims. I'm not sure she has regained any altitude from the hole she dug but it's an attempt. That was also the reason for timing for the second suit I believe.

Reaction Score
You can't make this stuff up.

First off her opinion piece has one glaring inaccuracy:

1. Completely changed the tone of the McCombs incident by saying he 'hit' the girl and not the accurate version of 'push.'
2. Different article with their attorney saying that UCONN promotes rape because the trail to Celeron has been coined the 'rape trail' by UCONN students. That's really UCONN's problem, yes. They added lights to the trail when I was there. If people don't feel safe on it, then they shouldn't go on it. These 7 girls, include Caroline Luby, who is the same Caroline Luby that wrote the letter to Herbst saying the new UCONN logo promoted a rape culture on campus.

These girls are obvious feminist lunatics that are seeking a public forum to get their message across. I highly doubt UCONN takes accusations of rape and sexual assault less seriously than when a student drinks alcohol under age. I was at UCONN, I was a student and they treated under age drinking in the dorms very seriously, enough to kick people off campus.

NOTE: Any type of assualt on a woman from a man, shows what a coward the abuser really is. The lack of self-control a person possesses to abuse a woman is completely and udderly sickening and the abuser should be put through the same acts that they did to the abused.

Reaction Score
Not true Upstater - SH got universally destroyed by her previous comments - she need to do damage control. http://www.nhregister.com/opinion/2...guided-in-response-to-s e xual-assault-claims. I'm not sure she has regained any altitude from the hole she dug but it's an attempt. That was also the reason for timing for the second suit I believe.

Your link actually reinforces what I'm saying. The article was all about how Herbst's quote stands in contract to the experience of these women with Uconn administrators. I didn't read any response that characterized her quote as in some way dismissing that these women were assaulted. In fact, Herbst's quote is clear as day. She emphatically references the criticism of Uconn's procedures as being "demonstrably untrue." I'm going to assume that her emphatic statement stems from really caring about campus safety especially for women, and that it stems from her belief that she has systems in place to address precisely these problems. This is hitting close to home so she is very defensive. but someone needs to pull her aside. It's also embarrassing because I think her specialty is in civil or even discussions relating to institutional interests. This is right up her alley. But there's a blind spot for some reason.

Reaction Score
First off her opinion piece has one glaring inaccuracy:

1. Completely changed the tone of the McCombs incident by saying he 'hit' the girl and not the accurate version of 'push.'

2. These girls are obvious feminist lunatics that are seeking a public forum to get their message across.

1. Why is that an inaccuracy? She says she saw McCombs hit her.
2. There are two possibilities here regarding your second comment. Either you think her discussion with the administrator as she portrays it in her article is an example of "lunatic" behavior, or you think she made that whole discussion with the administrator up, and therefore she is a lunatic.

Reaction Score
Your link actually reinforces what I'm saying. The article was all about how Herbst's quote stands in contract to the experience of these women with Uconn administrators. I didn't read any response that characterized her quote as in some way dismissing that these women were assaulted. In fact, Herbst's quote is clear as day. She emphatically references the criticism of Uconn's procedures as being "demonstrably untrue." I'm going to assume that her emphatic statement stems from really caring about campus safety especially for women, and that it stems from her belief that she has systems in place to address precisely these problems. This is hitting close to home so she is very defensive. but someone needs to pull her aside. It's also embarrassing because I think her specialty is in civil or even discussions relating to institutional interests. This is right up her alley. But there's a blind spot for some reason.

I may have misinterpreted your point regarding what Hebst is clarifying and what the women (and Allred) are saying Hebst was implying (personally as opposed to the face of the university). Either way - ugly.

Reaction Score
I have a lot of mixed feelings on this mess. On the McCombs thing,it seems a little late in the game to be rehashing that. As best I can recall, there was not even a court date, and in fact, UConn Police haven't exactly been lenient in arresting athletes for this kind of thing, nor have prosecutors been inclined to just drop them. Also, this shouldn't be conflated into the other matter of the alleged rape by an unnamed football player. yes, Pasqualoni should have benched him for the game, but given the aftermath, ie no charges and unlike, say Wolf, no community service or anger management or anything, I'm not sure much more could or should have been done.

On the other hand, it seems clear to me that Herbst has done a horrible job on this matter. Not the first time she has been tone deaf, but maybe the most serious. Despite her "I was misunderstood" claims, she wasn't. She said what she said and it was pretty clear. Suck it up, Suzy. Admit you screwed up and then say you are getting together your top team to look into how these things are handled, and what ought to be done to address the culture at UConn that causes women to feel unsafe. (Just a side note to Ms Palazzo, use women and men, not boys and girls if you want to increase your credibility). She also ought to fire her supposed Public relations advisor who has done an absolutely terrible job of advising.

Finally, I am sure this issue is not limited to UConn. One need only have listened to the Congressional hearings a few weeks ago about women and assault in the military, or read reports about several other schools like Amherst and Wesleyan to get that this is an issue in lots of places.

Reaction Score
1. Why is that an inaccuracy? She says she saw McCombs hit her.
2. There are two possibilities here regarding your second comment. Either you think her discussion with the administrator as she portrays it in her article is an example of "lunatic" behavior, or you think she made that whole discussion with the administrator up, and therefore she is a lunatic.

Twisting words and taking out of context: the 'lunatic behavoir' if you quoted my entire post, refers to their claiming the rape trail promotes rape. Just like the new UCONN logo promotes rape. Those two by themselves = feminist lunatics.

Using the attorney and their clients claims, they might as well file a lawsuit against the entire country, since Detroit and Bridgeport and any other city that has crime also incites rape and muggings and murder.

UCONN's response to any claims of sexual assault are ALWAYS investigated in a serious manner. Police are on scene in moments for public incidents. The security call boxes are everywhere on campus. You can't charge someone in a case when there isn't evidence to back up a person's claim just like any other crime. UCONN does have sexual assault classes. I've been through them. It's mandatory freshman year as part of the orientation class. That was way back in 2003.

Reaction Score
These girls are obvious feminist lunatics that are seeking a public forum to get their message across. I highly doubt UCONN takes accusations of rape and s e xual assault less seriously than when a student drinks alcohol under age. I was at UCONN, I was a student and they treated under age drinking in the dorms very seriously, enough to kick people off campus.

You clearly don't know much about sexual assault. My sister was sexually assaulted while intoxicated and both the police and the nurse who gave her the rape kit both basically blamed her for getting drunk with this guy and implied it was her fault. If you think this doesn't happen, then I don't know what to tell you. But I promise you, it does. My sister is not a lunatic feminist. And there are millions more like her out there.

This stuff happens all the time. At UConn and everywhere else. Implying that because people get kicked out of dorms for underage drinking that somehow the police aren't capable of victim-blaming is misguided and flat-out foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom