Ouch, Buzz Williams doesn't believe in NBE | The Boneyard

Ouch, Buzz Williams doesn't believe in NBE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Buzz Williams is an ah*le, be nice to see him get hammered against Ville, UNC, Puke, Cuse and UVA each year

Reaction Score
After the whole CBS bit on "Buzz's Kids," I lost a lot of respect for him. Not what he did for the kids (wonderful), but because the whole bit was sycophantic, and he did this interview to make him look good before he skedaddled out of town...

Reaction Score

This is going to be interesting. Virginia Tech has traditionally not emphasized basketball. It is a football school through and through in regards to alumni, fans, and donors. This new athletic director from Cincinnati is obviously trying to bring basketball to the front with this hire. Buzz Williams is a pretty high profile coach who has been successful. They are going to pay him more than Frank Beamer. Part of the reason for that is that Frank Beamer takes less so that his assistants can get more. That's how he keeps assistants forever. But anyway, the Buzz Williams thing will be interesting to watch play out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg is a good coach. That is pretty much the high water mark for VTech basketball. Williams is not going to beat it.

Reaction Score
The Big East is whithering away. But you know what, Unless Temple gets its act togethe the AAC will be what? UConn. Memphis, Cincy, and SMU (assuming Larry Brown sticks around). All it takes is for two of these schools to have a down year and this is a two bid league.

Reaction Score
Marquette is truly one of the best coaching jobs in college basketball. Williams was making about $3 million per year and Marquette basketball travels in a first class manner. Plus, a rabid fan base. They will attract a great new coach.

As for Williams, he had one foot out the door as his antics were wearing thin, he had one year left on his contract, and Marquette is about to hire a new AD and President. He left while his stock was still high before he was shown the door.

Trashing your former employer on your way out the door is never a positive thing, but Williams wants everyone to think he is leaving for his reasons. Well, he is taking a salary cut to be the head coach of an ACC bottom feeder. Have fun!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East is whithering away. But you know what, Unless Temple gets its act togethe the AAC will be what? UConn. Memphis, Cincy, and SMU (assuming Larry Brown sticks around). All it takes is for two of these schools to have a down year and this is a two bid league.

If the Big East is whithering on $5MM a year for each of its basketball programs, how is the AAC doing on less than $2MM a year for all sports? SMU and UConn can continue to compete because we are happy pissing money away. I wouldn't count on a lot of company from the current conference mates in that department.

Reaction Score
Exhibit A: Holy Cross. It would be weird to see FBS level football in Worcester. (Better art museum in that city than Portland, ME, though!)

Personally, I think it's sad to see a lot of private schools get pushed to the side. Became an arms race and the most determined private schools won. Still can't believe all BC has is Doug Flutie and some recent hockey championships.

However, I still expect an FBS-level school affiliated with Scientology soon. Would love to hear the school's nickname!

And the Big East should be fine. Milwaukee loves Marquette, etc. Kind of weird to see no Protestant league around here.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250605351.html

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
However, I still expect an FBS-level school affiliated with Scientology soon. Would love to hear the school's nickname!

The Dianetics?
The Magic Carpets?
The My-Own-Planets?
The Non-Glib?
The Cruises?
The Travoltas?
Hubbards Cupboards?

Reaction Score
Marquette has been in a transition...the provost left, the AD left, the President left.....Maybe the Buzzer felt that losing supporters, along with a fading conference, was the kicker.

Better to take on a horrible basketball program (2-17 in conference) and attempt to resurrect it. At the very least, if he can make VT respectable, he will get the credit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the Big East is whithering on $5MM a year for each of its basketball programs, how is the AAC doing on less than $2MM a year for all sports? SMU and UConn can continue to compete because we are happy pissing money away. I wouldn't count on a lot of company from the current conference mates in that department.

FOX overpaid. They won't get that much next time around. The can't even draw flies. Few if any of their games hold any interest beyond fans of the school. Nobody wants to see DePaul play Creighton besides DePaul and Creighton fans. Even Georgetown and Nova have little reach beyond their own fanbases.

Reaction Score
FOX overpaid. They won't get that much next time around. The can't even draw flies. Few if any of their games hold any interest beyond fans of the school. Nobody wants to see DePaul play Creighton besides DePaul and Creighton fans. Even Georgetown and Nova have little reach beyond their own fanbases.

"Overpay" is what Fox does to get their foot in the door. In the case of the NFL it has worked out great for all parties. I agree that Fox will not overpay like that to renew/retain broadcast rights for Big East. I am also skeptical that the Big XII renews at the "overpay" rate Fox first paid, particularly if Fox gets B1G in the interim.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I tend to agree. Fox needed content. If ESPN got the Big East again, then Fox would be paying retail prices for something they could have had wholesale and be in worse shape. The Conference's worth is predicated on their history, for which only the league was around (PC, SHU, VU, GU, and StJU).

Reaction Score
"Overpay" is what Fox does to get their foot in the door. In the case of the NFL it has worked out great for all parties. I agree that Fox will not overpay like that to renew/retain broadcast rights for Big East. I am also skeptical that the Big XII renews at the "overpay" rate Fox first paid, particularly if Fox gets B1G in the interim.

Yeah I know. We've gone in circles explaining this to Nelson at least 40 times.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If Fox overpaid for the Big East, than ESPN definitely overpaid for the ACC. All of that is sour grapes on our part because the AAC and UConn gets crumbs. The Big East has 12 years of fat checks to figure out their next move. UConn does not.

Reaction Score
If Fox overpaid for the Big East, than ESPN definitely overpaid for the ACC. All of that is sour grapes on our part because the AAC and UConn gets crumbs. The Big East has 12 years of fat checks to figure out their next move. UConn does not.
Except for the "ESPN overpaid for ACC" part, I agree with everything you said there. (This is where the UCF alum in me argues that USF is, and has always been, a steaming pile of crap, but they gained admission to Big East in 2005 and were afforded all available benefits therein. Thankfully USF largely frittered away their advantages over UCF in recent years and UCF made the most of their first year of "equality" with USF.)

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
The Big East gets 4.16 mil per school, not 5. Please stop posting the 5 figure in your constant posting on the subject.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East gets 4.16 mil per school, not 5. Please stop posting the 5 figure in your constant posting on the subject.

When NCAA units are factored in, the distribution will be above $5MM a school going forward.

The AAC is a 3-4 bid league going forward with a bunch of minimum payout bowls and a cut from the playoffs that is probably similar to CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt's. UConn would be getting the playoff money if they were in the AAC or an independent.

Reaction Score

That's a fallacy. The 4 million for the BE was the price FOX paid to get a conference that would sign up for less exposure on a network that isn't established. This is the same reason why the AAC wouldn't agree to NBC's terrible offer.

Reaction Score
When NCAA units are factored in, the distribution will be above $5MM a school going forward.

The AAC is a 3-4 bid league going forward with a bunch of minimum payout bowls and a cut from the playoffs that is probably similar to CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt's. UConn would be getting the playoff money if they were in the AAC or an independent.
If you're to count NCAA units, you've just lost the game, for at least the foreseeable future because UConn will take in more money in the AAC than the BE. UConn's got a lot of credits coming their way (earned by a number of schools in and out of the league). And hell, the AAC earned more this year already than the NBE.

Reaction Score
If you're to count NCAA units, you've just lost the game, for at least the foreseeable future because UConn will take in more money in the AAC than the BE. UConn's got a lot of credits coming their way (earned by a number of schools in and out of the league). And hell, the AAC earned more this year already than the NBE.

Don't forget the buyout cash. Which admittedly won't last forever.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

One time payments that will sunset mean I have lost the game?

Is there a single person in this thread that has ever taken an accounting or finance class? One of the most basic analyses in the first few weeks of Finance 201 is to compare two cash flow streams. You can't include money that is going to be paid to UConn whether we stay or go in only one column. The exit fees are going to be mostly earned by year 3. If you are arguing that the NPV of staying an extra year justifies it, then fine. It will probably take UConn that long to work out the kinks of being independent anyway. By year 3 or 4 from now. the cash flow stream from being in the BE/Independent in football will dwarf the cash flow stream from remaining in the AAC.

I don't get this love affair that you and others have with these southern mid-major programs. Only 1 AAC program is located within 700 miles of UConn's campus. We have no history with these schools, we make no money from playing them, ESPN trashes us every chance it gets, the league gets zero respect for football or basketball, travel will be brutal, and financially an association with these schools will be catastrophic. Or we join a basketball league with lots of history that only makes more money if we join, according to the NYT link, and in which we will make over double what we make in our current league.

For those that need to take off their shoes to count to ten, the math is very simple. Depaul makes >2x the revenue from its TV contract for basketball that we make for all sports. What else do you need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom