OU Prez Boren... | The Boneyard

OU Prez Boren...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Quite frankly™, I've read the Oklahoma presidents remarks and I don't completely know what to make of them.

"The Big 12 is disadvantaged when compared to the other conferences in three ways. We do not have at least twelve members, we do not have a conference network, and we do not have a championship game. I think that all three of these disadvantages need to be addressed at the same time. Addressing only one without addressing all three will not be adequate to improve the strength of the conference..."

1) He obviously wants to expand.

2) He wants a championship game. All right - so far, so good.

3) He wants a conference network. Insert sound of brakes screeching and glass breaking. Anyone who thinks Oklahoma and Texas are not holding guns on each other isn't paying enough attention to #3.

Boren wants all three addressed at the same time; the first two are easy enough to deal with, but #3 is a monster.

First, the world that birthed the Big Ten, Pac 12 and SEC Networks appears to be passing. That might actually be somewhat able to be overcome simply because you have well-defined markets - you can sell a Big 12 network in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, West Virginia and where ever else tornados like to visit. It's not like the ACC where they're subservient in every market, save North Carolina and Virginia.

But what do you do about the Longhorn Network?

I see #3 as a frontal assault on Texas. I think Oklahoma is trying to crack the Longhorn Network or ultimately lay down grounds to bail out of the Big 12. It may become tough for Texas here...the LHN is already blamed for sending A&M to the SEC and other B12 members may stop carrying water for UT if OU is striking a more populist pose in trying to turn the LHN into the B12N.

I would not expect fast action on expansion, but I would expect the OU/Texas relationship to get much worse by February 4th.

Reaction Score
Anyway, they could begin phasing I'm a big 12 network without Texas with the understanding that Texas will be a part of it upon expiration of the Longhorn Networks tenure with espn? I would think Fox would probably be willing to do something with fox sports 2.

Just spitballing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Geno's comments here fill me with dread....

The news that the Big 12 Conference has reached a compromise so it would not have to add more teams in order to hold a conference championship game in football made plenty of headlines today especially in areas like at UConn where fans were hoping to get an invitation from a Power 5 conference.

Auriemma was asked for his take on things especially since the Huskies will go nearly a month between facing ranked opponents.
"I don't feel any different today than I did yesterday or the day before or I will feel tomorrow," Auriemma said. "That situation is what it is, it is out of my hands. I love the people who comment that it is the AD's responsibility to get into a new conference; it is the president's responsibility to get into a new conference. It is like saying 'why didn't you get invited to the Oscar's what is wrong with you?' Well, how about 'I don't have a ticket and nobody wants me to go there.'

Reaction Score

The news that the Big 12 Conference has reached a compromise so it would not have to add more teams in order to hold a conference championship game in football made plenty of headlines today especially in areas like at UConn where fans were hoping to get an invitation from a Power 5 conference.

Auriemma was asked for his take on things especially since the Huskies will go nearly a month between facing ranked opponents.
"I don't feel any different today than I did yesterday or the day before or I will feel tomorrow," Auriemma said. "That situation is what it is, it is out of my hands. I love the people who comment that it is the AD's responsibility to get into a new conference; it is the president's responsibility to get into a new conference. It is like saying 'why didn't you get invited to the Oscar's what is wrong with you?' Well, how about 'I don't have a ticket and nobody wants me to go there.'

Uh, why? That's literally our situation unless we get a ticket in the mail someday.
Right now no one wants us. Doesn't mean they never will.

Reaction Score
They do want us, it's a matter of finding a way to fit us in.

The LHN might forever bite UT in the rear end. As powerful as the school may be.

Reaction Score
OU and UConn to B16
If OU is going to the B1G its with Kansas, an AAU school that would be the geographical bridge to Oklahoma.

I think we should be hoping OK goes to the SEC while UConn and Kansas go to the B1G in the next 5-10 years. Not that I'm saying its likely, but we don't want any part of Oklahoma going to the B1G IMO.

Reaction Score
UConn and Kansas to the B1G
Oklahoma and OK State to the SEC (would they take both or do they both still have to be tied to the hip????)
Texas joins the ACC with the ND deal and everyone else in the Big 12 scrambles for whatever they can get.

Again, not saying it's likely..just best case scenario .

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Isn't that, nearly verbatim, his quote when we didn't get an ACC invite? Minus tHe Oscar reference maybe.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The LHN might forever bite UT in the rear end. As powerful as the school may be.
They'll happily get bitten all the way to the bank. In the end, once the LHN officially destroys the B-12, UT will land pretty much where they want to land.

Your statement is pretty equal to a decade ago claiming that their football deal with NBC will eventually bite ND in the rear end.

The LHN is currently screwing ESPN (good for them, they are the cause of this mess) and hamstringing the remainder of the B-12. At some point OU will get sick of this and do something. When all is said and done OU will be fine, UK (due to their hoops history) and OSU (due to T Boone) may end up on their feet. The remaining six schools will be scrambling.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I interpret Boren's comments as "Our conference sucks. To change that we need to expand into new, large markets. I want to add UConn and BYU (maybe more). Texas doesn't want to add anyone except Houston, Texas State, UTSA and North Texas. We are now fielding calls from other conferences until we get what we want."

Reaction Score
Somebody (or bodies) probably wanted to limit the scope of certain items on the agenda for a previous and/or upcoming Big 12 meeting. Boren decided to go public with it.

Regardless if that's how it happened or not, it's a very strong move by Boren.

Where can I buy a ticket to the next meeting?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I interpret Boren's comments as "Our conference sucks. To change that we need to expand into new, large markets. I want to add UConn and BYU (maybe more). Texas doesn't want to
It didn't take long for me to get over the disappointment of yesterday's news. If we are to read between Borens lines, I think we may have found Uconns best chance. Uconn clearly gained a lot of national steam late but I am unsure if it was enough if the big12 had to make an impulsive decision. Time, even a month, helps Uconn tremendously. These comments not only put the Big 12 on notice, but also any conference looking east. All good fur uconn. I still contend there will be movement before big10 sells its rights. These comments add fuel to the fire.

Reaction Score

Where is the evidence of conferences wanting Uconn in? If they did, Uconn would be in. Was Uconn listed and discussed? Sure. Wanted? No. And don't give me the ACC history and how BC blocked Uconn. They did not. Jacobs said that there were ACC BB coaches aligned against Uconn too. My opinion is that BC has limited sway in any ACC discussion. It is the NC schools/Clemson/FSU cartel that carries all of the force in the ACC. Just like OSU/MI in the B1G and UT and OK in the B12. Until the power brokers see Uconn as a worthy FB addition or the P5 decide that 14 to 16 teams is the new best size, Uconn is just the back up date for the prom.

Reaction Score
Where is the evidence of conferences wanting Uconn in? If they did, Uconn would be in. Was Uconn listed and discussed? Sure. Wanted? No. And don't give me the ACC history and how BC blocked Uconn. They did not. Jacobs said that there were ACC BB coaches aligned against Uconn too. My opinion is that BC has limited sway in any ACC discussion. It is the NC schools/Clemson/FSU cartel that carries all of the force in the ACC. Just like OSU/MI in the B1G and UT and OK in the B12. Until the power brokers see Uconn as a worthy FB addition or the P5 decide that 14 to 16 teams is the new best size, Uconn is just the back up date for the prom.
How many posts do you need to make telling us UConn sucks? We get it, you hate UConn, UConn adds no value, yada, yada, yada. Did I miss any?

Reaction Score
I don't know what to make of the comments either. Oklahoma, the 2nd most powerful program in the conference, wants to expand. Yet the conference made the effort to petition the NCAA for the exemption regarding the CCG. Are we to assume that Oklahoma was against the petition and now against the NCAA's decision? It surely would seem that the Big 12 is on very shaky ground.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

How's about you go away for a while? One of the absolute dumbest simpleton statement that anti-UConn guy such as yourself can make is "if you were wanted, you'd be in". You don't think western conferences would add BYU? How's about ND? Yesterday's vote sent a clear message: 13 games > 12 games. ND needs to find a conference home soon or they will be at the same disadvantage as the 2014-15 B12.

ALL of the metrics are there supporting UConn is a Power school. More so than many grandfathered in the club.

Reaction Score
Boren has issued a basic ultimatum...expand to 12 and start a B-12 Network or OU is gone! Look for OU to make a move to the SEC in the near future. For all the schools left behind (TT, TCU, Baylor, OSU, K State, Iowa St and WVU) ...welcome to the G-5, you now know what you feel like to get duckKED!!!

Reaction Score

BC blocked UConn. Deny it all you want. It is the truth.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=1

The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun).

In addition, the women’s basketball program under Geno Auriemma had established itself as the most dominant in the sport over the past 15 years.

With growing instability in the Big East, both schools were bound to accept any offers.

While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did - to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.

DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

Turning to Pittsburgh BC officials argued that Pittsburgh, with a stronger tradition in football, as well as a long-established - though dormant - rivalry with the Eagles, would be a better fit.

Although BC and UConn are the only FBS schools in New England, BC officials were reluctant to give UConn any more credence. Membership in the ACC would do that.

UConn had already reached milestones that BC had not - including national championships in men’s and women’s basketball and a BCS bid in football. And there was the lawsuit.

Duke and North Carolina, who have thrived as rivals and neighbors, didn’t quite understand the passion behind BC’s argument, but Pittsburgh seemed like a reasonable alternative. Under Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh had established itself as a national power in men’s basketball, so the Tobacco Road contingent didn’t argue. Calls were made and invitations were accepted.

Veteran Big East observers could only shake their heads at the irony. Pittsburgh, led by president Mark Nordenberg, was one of BC’s strongest critics when it left the Big East. It blasted BC when it left after being rejected by the ACC the first time and then regrouping with the other Big East schools to formulate a battle plan for survival, with Nordenberg describing BC as the “fox in the henhouse.’’

What prompted the lawsuit by UConn and Pitt was not the jump to the ACC. All the schools involved, including UConn, conceded that if they had been called, they probably would have done the same thing. What caused the rage was the timing, which was after the initial rejection and during what Big East schools considered confidential strategy sessions.

Even more ironic this time was that Pittsburgh was a prime player in the Big East battle plans and Nordenberg had been one of the loudest voices against the Big East accepting the lucrative offer from ESPN, which would have nearly doubled the payoff to each school from $6 million to slightly more than $11 million per school.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm confident that significant realignment is imminent. FSU and Clemson do not at all fit in with the rest of the ACC and I could certainly see them jumping ship and joining the SEC to be in a more competitive football conference. This whole OU and Texas thing will boil over eventually as well, with teams joining the Big Ten and PAC 12. We'll fit into the puzzle somewhere at that point.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Who is Uconn? Are they a sister school of UCONN and U-Conn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom