Other games this Labor Day weekend | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Other games this Labor Day weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Louisville will lose by 28.
Nope. They covered at +20 (thank you very much) just like UConn should at +20.5. Even though Illinois whacked Akron and we barely beat Wagner, I’m still not buying a three touchdown win for an Illinois team that hasn’t won a road non-conference game since 2007. I’m happy taking the Huskies and the points. Of course that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Random thoughts:

SEC - Losing 4 OOC games in week 1 looks bad for a conference that considers itself playing at a different level than ANY other league. I do think that Ole Miss' loss to Memphis and Missouri's loss to Wyoming aren't going to look that bad by season's end. We will learn a lot more this week since there are a lot of good games involving the SEC.

Big 12 - 7 of the 10 Big 12 teams played an FCS opponent in Week 1. If the Football Playoff Selection committee had any guts, they would count games against FCS opponents as losses for the purposes of determining strength of schedule. This conference only plays 3 OOC games and most of the teams are burning one of those games on an FCS opponent?

UCLA's QB - UCLA's QB was brutal on Thursday night. How does UCLA EVER have a crappy QB? USC, UCLA and SD State are the only D1 schools in a part of the country that has about 5% of the total US population. Some of the best high school programs in the country are in southern CA, and most are pass happy because it is 75 and sunny year round. This isn't like western PA, where high school coaches have to design offenses around 30 degrees and snowing in November. Finally, there are not too many colleges anywhere in the country that can go toe to toe with UCLA on the campus tour. So how don't they have a QB?

Pac 12 - The Pac 12 in general has been bad for a long time, and it doesn't make sense. All the schools are located in large, fast growing population areas. How can Big 10 schools in rapidly aging, rust belt states recruit so much better than the Pac 12 when the Pac 12 has the western third of the country to itself.

I love watching football, and I think it is one of the most interesting and strategic sports there is. But they have to do something to make it safer. The injury list coming out of the first weekend is insane.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts:

SEC - Losing 4 OOC games in week 1 looks bad for a conference that considers itself playing at a different level than ANY other league. I do think that Ole Miss' loss to Memphis and Missouri's loss to Wyoming aren't going to look that bad by season's end. We will learn a lot more this week since there are a lot of good games involving the SEC.

Big 12 - 7 of the 10 Big 12 teams played an FCS opponent in Week 1. If the Football Playoff Selection committee had any guts, they would count games against FCS opponents as losses for the purposes of determining strength of schedule. This conference only plays 3 OOC games and most of the teams are burning one of those games on an FCS opponent?

UCLA's QB - UCLA's QB was brutal on Thursday night. How does UCLA EVER have a crappy QB? USC, UCLA and SD State are the only D1 schools in a part of the country that has about 5% of the total US population. Some of the best high school programs in the country are in southern CA, and most are pass happy because it is 75 and sunny year round. This isn't like western PA, where high school coaches have to design offenses around 30 degrees and snowing in November. Finally, there are not too many colleges anywhere in the country that can go toe to toe with UCLA on the campus tour. So how don't they have a QB?

Pac 12 - The Pac 12 in general has been bad for a long time, and it doesn't make sense. All the schools are located in large, fast growing population areas. How can Big 10 schools in rapidly aging, rust belt states recruit so much better than the Pac 12 when the Pac 12 has the western third of the country to itself.

I love watching football, and I think it is one of the most interesting and strategic sports there is. But they have to do something to make it safer. The injury list coming out of the first weekend is insane.
They need pillows.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Larry Scott moving a majority of the league's games to a station nobody gets. It has long-term effects bearing out now. You see it in basketball as well. They're completely irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts:

UCLA's QB was the #2 rated dual threat QB in the country. Either all the recruiting services were wrong about him, or he just had a really bad game against a good defense. Maybe a little of both.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UCLA's QB was the #2 rated dual threat QB in the country. Either all the recruiting services were wrong about him, or he just had a really bad game against a good defense. Maybe a little of both.

If UCLA is forced to start a true sophomore at QB that is this unready to play, then it is an indictment of their previous recruiting classes.

Reaction Score
If UCLA is forced to start a true sophomore at QB that is this unready to play, then it is an indictment of their previous recruiting classes.
Chip Kelley is in year 2. It could just be transition from the previous system to his. I did not watch the game at all so I'm just guessing.

Pitt UVA and BC Va Tech were entertaining games. I hadn't watched much ACC lately. Mendenhall has UVA trending up.

Reaction Score
I'm working from memory, but i recall in Kelly's Oregon high powered offensive days they were favored in a bowl game against Ohio St when Fickell was co defensive coordinator and i think Ohio St. beat them in that one as an underdog as well. Fickell i think is a much better coach than he was given credit for. Let's face it, he's only in year 3 so it isn't like Kelly is facing a guy who has been around a long time. Cincy looks very good on defense. They'll be test at Osu this week, but my guess is they do not give up a lot of points this year if they're healthy. They're very quick and aggressive.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The PAC12 is so bad Aresco should drop the P6 nonsense and just claim they are P5 and the PAC12 isn’t.

I really agree, he'd get more traction too. People love to dump on the Pac-12. Nobody likes the AAC. Its the perfect play. What's he risking, they don't have a bowl or a scheduling agreement.

Reaction Score

I forgot Mack Brown's knee at midfield on 4th down with 11 seconds left. How does Mack Brown win games because he seems like such a moron?

That was mind boggling. I think i will always remember the look on my 13 year old's face when we were watching that. The kid was completely stunned, and then he just started laughing. At least Mack admitted to a lot of "coaching mistakes" during his tearful post game interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom