Other games this Labor Day weekend | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Other games this Labor Day weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The vast majority of programs get a large chunk of their players locally. The quality of local players ABSOLUTELY impacts school performance.

Sure there are exceptions.

Just for fun I took a quick look at rosters for Washington, Washington St., Boise St., Ohio St., Michigan and Penn St. Sure, everybody recruits locally, but you have to go where the talent is. EVERYBODY recruits in places like California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Virginia. Doesn't matter if it's local or regional or not. Especially those first 3 states listed. I'm willing to bet the majority of schools from the West (including the Rocky Mountains, not just the Coast) have close to half of their roster made up of players from California.

Reaction Score
Just for fun I took a quick look at rosters for Washington, Washington St., Boise St., Ohio St., Michigan and Penn St. Sure, everybody recruits locally, but you have to go where the talent is. EVERYBODY recruits in places like California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Virginia. Doesn't matter if it's local or regional or not. Especially those first 3 states listed. I'm willing to bet the majority of schools from the West (including the Rocky Mountains, not just the Coast) have close to half of their roster made up of players from California.
Go get players. I don't have to look at Boise State's roster to know they aren't building their team with Boise players. Same for Washington State.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I just hope houston and OU is entertaining for the first half

Reaction Score
Go get players. I don't have to look at Boise State's roster to know they aren't building their team with Boise players. Same for Washington State.

Exactly. SJSU is sitting in the middle of a ton of football talent. They suck because they don't invest in football. Texas used to suck until they hired Herman. Coaching makes a huge huge difference.

Boise get most of their players from CA. We ahould be getting most of our players from. FLA. We will get players like Darius Butler from time to time.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Memphis is either a legit team or ole miss sucks.

My brother is an Ole Miss season ticket holder and said to me they suck and he hopes that they fire the coach Luke at the end of the season as he doesn't have a clue.

Reaction Score
OU up 42-24 w/ under 4 left.

He looks like a really nice player. Looked kind of ordinary in Alabama's pro style offense but in this wide open spread he looks like a revelation. Could Oklahoma have 3 Heismans in a row?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
USC sophomore QB JT Daniels out for the season from a torn ACL suffered late in the first half.............argggh. :confused: Our (I’ve been a Trojan fan since 1963) season is over before it started. A true freshman is now the starter. SMH.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
USC QB Daniels out for the season, torn ACL...argggh. A true freshman is now their starter. :confused:

Didn't somebody who didn't win the QB competition there just transfer out? So short sighted. I know that happened at Washington, I think it happened at USC as well. Maybe the new normal? If you don't get what you want, transfer out days before the season starts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't somebody who didn't win the QB competition there just transfer out? So short sighted. I know that happened at Washington, I think it happened at USC as well. Maybe the new normal? If you don't get what you want, transfer out days before the season starts.

is there some special reward for sitting on the bench? why would you want anyone happy with that?

Reaction Score

He (Sears) was fourth on depth chart after fall camp.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
is there some special reward for sitting on the bench? why would you want anyone happy with that?

Players in all sports transfer all the time after the season ends. Right at the end of camp, immediately before the season starts, is poor timing.

I didn't know the kid who left USC was 4th in line. The guy who bailed on UW was in a battle for the starting spot and would've gotten snaps during the opening game despite not being named the starter. Most assumed Eason would take over for the graduated Browning, but the coach refused to name a starter til just about the last moment. Maybe it was just a smokescreen, but Petersen doesn't come off as that kind of guy so I really doubt it. Haener was gone a day or two later. Just seems like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum to me.

And as far as not being a starter, football is different than other sports. There's the whole 2 deep thing, but depending on position some rotations are deeper than that. If everybody that isn't a starter quit and left, you literally couldn't play the sport.

Reaction Score
Players in all sports transfer all the time after the season ends. Right at the end of camp, immediately before the season starts, is poor timing.

I didn't know the kid who left USC was 4th in line. The guy who bailed on UW was in a battle for the starting spot and would've gotten snaps during the opening game despite not being named the starter. Most assumed Eason would take over for the graduated Browning, but the coach refused to name a starter til just about the last moment. Maybe it was just a smokescreen, but Petersen doesn't come off as that kind of guy so I really doubt it. Haener was gone a day or two later. Just seems like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum to me.

And as far as not being a starter, football is different than other sports. There's the whole 2 deep thing, but depending on position some rotations are deeper than that. If everybody that isn't a starter quit and left, you literally couldn't play the sport.
QB is different than most of the two deep. Kids don't want to waste a year of eligibility languishing on the bench. It is poor timing but given the crap coaches put on kids all the time i say it is a wash.

Reaction Score

Little kid temper tantrum? Or, just a delayed response to UDub targeting Georgia transfer Eason, still hoping to start, and just moving on for a perceived better chance to start with potentially fewer coaching cards stacked against the kid? Bit of both?

Reaction Score
Typically, a heavy dose of CA JC/CC players
That's fine. UConn needs to adjust and maybe allow more JUCO players. Saying Boise does it with JUCOs is yet another excuse as to why others can win and we can't.

I mean if all we are going to do is justify why we can't win what is the point? Regionally, we are going to be behind all the P5s in HS players pecking order preference. BC, RU, SU, MD, Pitt are all gonna have more cache than us.

I do notice Edsall is doing a LOT in Canada. Those players are typically older so they may be closer to a JUCO in terms of maturity and body development. Ugwak looks like a find. Clercius and Ganyi, haven't worked themselves into the rotation yet so will see. We've had some other good ones like Mo Petrus and Hasheem Kashama and Shawn Mayne.

I'm all for bringing in JUCOs. Kansas State built a hell of a program off the backs of JUCO players.

Reaction Score
That's fine. UConn needs to adjust and maybe allow more JUCO players. Saying Boise does it with JUCOs is yet another excuse as to why others can win and we can't.
Based on such a basic statement of fact, what the heck inspired you to conjure up some kind of non-existent excuse nor opposition to some JC players was intended? Triggered overreaction much? ;)

Reaction Score
I caught very little this weekend as I spent most of it enjoying some free time with my family before school and fall sports kick-off. I did see a small portion of the Stanford v. Northwestern game. How the officials (B1G) did not call this a targeting call and subsequent ejection still is bewildering. The announcers could not explain why he was not thrown-out and even the Wildcats' coach looked to be expecting such. Plus, the Officials also screwed-up as a late hit (or targeting call) is a dead-ball penalty and that means that the late hit AND the defensive holding call on the same play should have both counted.

Reminds me of that hit from the Houston v UConn game at the Rent a few years back. There is no 'incidental contact when a QB slides forward and hitting the head of a defenseless player (with a forearm in the Stanford game) is the definition of a targeting call.

Reaction Score
I caught very little this weekend as I spent most of it enjoying some free time with my family before school and fall sports kick-off. I did see a small portion of the Stanford v. Northwestern game. How the officials (B1G) did not call this a targeting call and subsequent ejection still is bewildering. The announcers coudl not explain why he was not thrown-out and even the Wildcats' coach looked to be expecting such. Plus, the Officlas also screwed-up as a late hit (or targeting call) is a dead-ball penalty and that means that the late hit AND the defensive holding call on the same play should have both counted.

Reminds me of that hit from the Houston v UConn game at the Rent a few years back. There is no 'incidental contact when a QB slides forward and hitting the head of a defenseless player (with a forearm in the Stanford game) is the definition of a targeting call.

I mean that's tough. What is a defensive player supposed to do with his arms in that split second. The Houston Player if remember wound up, this kid just dove forward. Sucks for the QB but they have so many rules to protect them. RBs take those hits all the time.

Reaction Score
Finnebaum of the SEC is publically pining for Notre Dame to never be given a playoff spot again.

If that happens, they'll have to join a conference...

Reaction Score
Finnebaum of the SEC is publically pining for Notre Dame to never be given a playoff spot again.

If that happens, they'll have to join a conference...

No ND fan; but, I'm suspect of any writer complaining about one team's special status when the SEC believes it should have at least 2 teams in the playoff each year no matter what.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hard to believe Louisville can be competitive with ND in a new coach's first game. Wasn't the cupboard bare? New coaches can never win right away or be competitive with good teams, takes 5-10 years for that...

Reaction Score
Hard to believe Louisville can be competitive with ND in a new coach's first game. Wasn't the cupboard bare? New coaches can never win right away or be competitive with good teams, takes 5-10 years for that...
Notre Dame is overrated every year in preseason polls. And, Louisville will lose by 28.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Little kid temper tantrum? Or, just a delayed response to UDub targeting Georgia transfer Eason, still hoping to start, and just moving on for a perceived better chance to start with potentially fewer coaching cards stacked against the kid? Bit of both?

Yeah, I understand QB is different than other positions and Haener wants a chance to play. Does seem like if he was upset about Eason transferring in, Haener could've left much earlier. Anyway maybe it will work out well for him somewhere else. Jacob Sirmon looked okay getting a little PT in the 4th quarter, so maybe the Huskies won't miss Haener much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom