Other games on opening week (through Mon., Nov. 11) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other games on opening week (through Mon., Nov. 11)

Reaction Score
I’m not quite sure what this offense is for Tennessee. Even Harper is confused as to what’s going on.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Even Harper is confused as to what’s going on.

Holly seemed to be confused as to what's going on frequently. Maybe there's something in the air or water in Knoxville.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's so weird to say it given that Notre Dame is coming off a national championship two years ago and a really close loss last year in the national championship game, but Marta Sniezek has traded down in grad-transferring to the Domers this season. She played almost every minute against Fordham, and I feel like at Stanford she would be literally the 9th or 10th best option on this year's team. So odd how recruiting patterns, graduation patterns, injuries, etc., can lead to such feasts and famines. Tara relied so much on Marta during our lean roster years while Muffett was starting 5 All-Americans, and now it's practically the reverse.
It turns out losing your nine best players from the previous year (counting Vaughn and Prohaska injuries) is bad.

Who knew?

Marta is definitely a calming force at the point. Not very dynamic but smart and a secure ballhandler.

Reaction Score
Courtney Banghart's regular season coaching debut is a victory, as UNC defeats 92-55 Western Carolina.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not a good opening week for North Carolina schools who wear Purple :oops:

Reaction Score
Future BE opponent Xavier with a nice win over Utah. Trip to Cincy was not kind to the Utes.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Future BE opponent Xavier with a nice win over Utah. Trip to Cincy was not kind to the Utes.
Wouldn’t have expected 0-2. But after losing Huff to graduation and Edwards to transfer I figured they would be vulnerable in the front court. Gray of Xavier went 14 and 14, and the Utes got outrebounded significantly.

I do give coach Roberts credit for the road trip. Has any other power 5 school started the season off with 2 road games?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t have expected 0-2. But after losing Huff to graduation and Edwards to transfer I figured they would be vulnerable in the front court. Gray of Xavier went 14 and 14, and the Utes got outrebounded significantly.

I do give coach Roberts credit for the road trip. Has any other power 5 school started the season off with 2 road games?
Since you asked, Ohio State and California. Ohio State isn't going that far, Valpo and Cinci, but Cal is visiting Hartford and Storrs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Holly seemed to be confused as to what's going on frequently. Maybe there's something in the air or water in Knoxville.
Well there ain't no smoggy smoke there. However, there might be some corn in that water. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Probably gonna go to Washington's season debut against CSU Bakersfield tonight. They certainly should win this one. The paper today listed the starting lineup--4 guards/wings and 1 post. They better be able to hit some 3s. Russian JC transfer PG is starting. They really haven't had a PG for 2 years, maybe at least a little bit of the reason for their offensive woes/poor shooting last year.

Reaction Score
Drake storms by South Dakota State behind a big game from Sara Rhine after Becca Hittner struggled for most of the game. It's a good win for Drake to have under their belt as the Jackrabbits should jel as a team later this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Harvard beats Cal, 56-53. Looking at the stats it was an ugly game. FG percentages in the low 30s, FTs in the low 60s, with a total of 46 fouls called.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 in trouble alert. First Cal loses to Harvard, and now Arizona trails Santa Clara at the half 27-24 behind a whopping 4 points in the 2Q for the Wildcats.

There's also a pretty good win for Western Kentucky after a good showing against Louisville as they knock off another traditional mid-major power in Mercer. Some good games being scheduled between traditional powers. Drake-South Dakota State, Western Kentucky-Mercer, and I think Green Bay played Central Michigan.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So attendance listed in the box score for Washington was 1187. I thought for sure it was under 1000. If that's what 1200 looks like, I can't even imagine what a USC game looks like when you're actually there w/ their 700 or 800 fans. The benefit of the paltry attendance was my GA ticket got upgraded, right before tipoff I got to waltz down to the 3rd row. Never been that close before.

CSUB isn't very good, hard to tell much from the game. UW didn't shoot very well but forced 31 turnovers and got up 70 shot attempts. Close first half turned into a blowout in Q3. 30 point win. Dawgs had 5 players not suited up. All 9 available played early and often. Both posts fouled out late in the game, had to go w/ a 5 guard/wing lineup the last little bit. Nice to start the season w/ a W but I don't really see a big jump forward coming for UW. The fact that teams like Cal and Utah are down so much from last year might move them up a bit in the conference standings.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona outscored SCU 22-6 in Q4 to pull away for the W.
Thankfully. They were not particularly "in sinc". The 2 problems in the 2nd quarter were fouls (an issue all game long, they just were not "on" for stretches of the game) and (for the 1st half) something like 1 of 12 or so from the 3 point line.

Adia Barnes was pissed - at one point she yelled a player on the court (not sure who, maybe Carter or Reese) that if they didn't want to play they could come sit on the bench. Ouch.

The 4th quarter - when McDonald and Carter and (especially) Sam Thomas (player of the game) turned it "on" - was a thing of beauty.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers torches Coppin State 107-33. While I know that it was Coppin State.....our offense was really clicking. Hit 12-23 from three too.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
BYU and Washington St. off to an uwatchable start--10-8 WSU after 1Q.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State with a 91-58 win over Southern Miss. They had turnover issues, but Bibby, Carter, Danberry Matharu, and Mingo-Young all scored in double figures. They still have tons of work to do.

Bibby looked surprisingly good. Like she didn’t even miss a beat.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington St. leading BYU 49-40 starting 4th quarter.

UCLA and LMU off to an ugly start, 16-9 Bruins after Q1. These early season games can be tough to watch.

edit--real quick 8-2 run by UCLA to start Q2

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom