Other fan bases think we’re weird | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other fan bases think we’re weird

Reaction Score
I was booted of of the Bench because I had the audacity to defend UConn basketball in the face of serious derision from ND fans simply for stating facts............the BY is the only site I'm aware of where you can discuss and challenge fans of other programs and as long as you do it in a civil way you are welcomed..................UConn fans are the most demanding, the most spoiled and the luckiest fans in WBB..........

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's really cool that Iowa fans or Arizona fans find their way to the Boneyard before a game and are met with a civil basketball discussion; a lot of fan boards out there where guests are either not allowed or rudely run-off. I'm glad this is not one of those places.
Completely agree. This is easily the most informed group of WCBB fans I've found, and a very friendly group on the whole, with a lot of great tolerated contributions from fans who primarily root for other teams. Came to admire Geno and his teams, stayed for the wide-ranging, well-informed WCBB discussion. =)

Reaction Score
Exactly! Well except for the part where our Hall of Fame coach “trashed” his young players. That never happened.
You are right, "trashed" might have been a step too far.
Let me refine it a bit.
I thought saying his team was immature as well as in-experienced , and that his best player needed a lot of work both on and off the court seemed a little harsh for the final game of the season.
You know what else never happened? There was no praise for the players hard work and sacrifice during a very difficult season, and congratulations on a great season and reaching the Final 4.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You are right, "trashed" might have been a step too far.
Let me refine it a bit.
I thought saying his team was immature as well as in-experienced , and that his best player needed a lot of work both on and off the court seemed a little harsh for the final game of the season.
You know what else never happened? There was no praise for the players hard work and sacrifice during a very difficult season, and congratulations on a great season and reaching the Final 4.
I think you were working very hard to read that the wrong way. Geno said is he had a very young team. He did. He also said that his players lack to experience in big games. They do. But hey if it makes you happy to imagine otherwise, you do you.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What Geno’s said is he had a very young team. He did. He also said that his players lack of experience in big games.
But that is so... so .... so boring. And it is true. Why would he say something like that? He is tough and mean and controversial. He must be losing his edge. No wonder his teams can't win the big games any more with such an apathetic coaching staff. Bet Baylor would have trashed him and his 'young' team if they met in the tournament! Too bad they lost to Michigan before the E8 game.

Well it was nice while the the run lasted but we rally haven't been a good team in this current decade. 0-1 in FF games since the start of the 2020's just pathetic.

:confused::eek:?

Yeah - lots of whiny on here. And a number of rarely seen posters as well? Come to gloat? 13 straight is pretty great, but it also means 7 years of last minute disappointments on the biggest stage and a lot of silliness after the final loss of a season.

Entitled? yes. Annoyingly arrogant? yes. But it is a nice home here on the boneyard with passionate fans from around the world. The best place to visit if you love WCBB, or just WBB.

And it has the best moderation on the internet - no trash, just occasional silliness, and frustrated disappointment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Geno talks about his players it is purposely and usually effective. Players come from all over and choose UConn from multiple options to get their buttons pushed by Geno because they know he is going to make them better. Trashing of players on the Boneyard by 'fans' is pure self-gratification and anger venting, serving no purpose. As for Geno, he may make some decisions that reasonable fans may find worthy of discussion - often because he's operating with information that the rest of don't have access to. The "Geno got outcoached", "Geno's lost it" or "I know better than Geno" (my favorite) stuff is just mind-numbingly stupid. UConn's hiring of Geno is probably the single most significant event in the history of WCBB and every school not named UConn (maybe with 2 or 3 exceptions) wishes they had been the ones to make such a good hire. The Boneyard, the lofty expectations, the luxury of taking final fours for granted -- Geno built all of it - from nothing.
Well said!

Reaction Score
Let them think we’re we’re weird.
We expect a higher level of excellence.
We fall short ?
We recognize it.
Love the game.
Respect our competition.
AND, willing to call ourselves out when we fall short.
(End of message)

Reaction Score
I think you were working very hard to read that the wrong way. Geno said is he had a very young team. He did. He also said that his players lack to experience in big games. They do. But hey if it makes you happy to imagine otherwise, you do you.
I can send you the tape, and then we can see who is imagining things

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I remember back when we were winning all these titles that Geno commented "There aren't enough competitive teams to play and we need more of those kind of games to make women's basketball more watchable. That has come true and UCONN isn't the only good team out there. I could see many teams that are as good or better than UCONN now. It is good for the game. Geno was right!!

Reaction Score
I don't think the UConn fans are weird at all.

I am a Stanford homer, but not just for basketball. For all their women's sports (and men's sports too but they don't excel at the same level). Their volleyball team has fans (including myself) that know every recruit, every stat of current players or past, etc because they have been the most elite team the past 30 years (with a few B1G schools being able to try to make a claim, too). Their women's tennis team has won 20 of the last 40 national championships. Their soccer team has started to build a mini dynasty (we shall see if it continues after this covid year). For all of those sports there are some tremendous followers, which is what happens with tremendous teams, programs, and coaches.

UConn and Geno are phenomenal; they deserve every ounce of respect they get. That being said, their fans are not weird. The fans here are normal -- they are enjoying watching something spectacular (a relative domination of a whole sport for a prolonged period) in a sport they love. And that is UConn basketball -- nothing but great and dominate!

Reaction Score
Hey. I will take being called "weird". At least they didn't call us "abnormal". Then the puppy paws are coming out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The other side of the coin are those fans who claim we are going 175 -0, never going to lose again, and the other teams shouldn't even bother to show up.
175-0 again... haven’t heard that prediction since EDD arrived on campus

Reaction Score
Oh, yes, there were posts trashing the players in the most insulting ways possible. Neither the posts nor the posters remain on the Boneyard.

Friday was a very bad day for trolls.
Obviously we don’t see what we can’t see. It’s sad that those types of comments occur. I, for one, appreciate your efforts to keep the board clean. Thank you Nan!

CL82

Reaction Score
Here’s a transcript.

Thanks Nan. I had listened to it when it first came out. I think that people are reading too much into it. I note that the link you provided excludes the question to which Geno responded. It was something along the lines of Christyn William said the team underestimated Arizona, do you think that was the case? You can't really understand the context of the response unless you know the question.

Geno is very candid. To me that is a part of his charm. He'll answer whatever you ask him. He doesn't "throw kids under the bus", rather he's candid about what the team was successful at and what it struggled with. That's the case here. IMO.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Geno is very candid. To me that is a part of his charm. He'll answer whatever you ask him. He doesn't "throw kids under the bus", rather he's candid about what the team was successful at and what it struggled with. That's the case here. IMO.
I've seen a lot of energy expended on the BY by people trying to figure out "what Geno meant" when it's almost always "what he said". Even when he's being funny.

Reaction Score
I don't think the UConn fanbase is weird for being a disappointed the team lost. I do think it's funny how people can forget how the other 97% live sometimes.

I've loved women's basketball since I was a youngster due to the fact my mother was an excellent high school player. My father didn't play basketball and didn't care for the game. My high school had a much more successful girls program than guys. Attending college at MSU there was zero opportunity to watch a quality product live at that time unless a top opposing team visited. I loved the sport well before MSU's brief success and will continue to. I posted in 2016 here after the 4 peat that I hoped UConn fans appreciated what they were experiencing and to enjoy the heck out of it. Did I think UConn would go five years without a title at that point? Honestly no but there have been some very worthy champions crowned since and will be again tonight.

The reason people take such pleasure in beating UConn is it doesn't happen very often. No team wins them all but there hasn't been anyone with this much high level success. Even the biggest fans only see one aspect of the sport, the wins on the court. There are a thousand other things that go on in a program each year. Not winning a NC does not mean the seasons wasn't successful. This year even having a full season is a minor miracle and that goes for everyone.

Weird? No, but maybe a little spoiled. But if it weren't for UConn's success making such intense fans of the game there wouldn't be a place online to discuss it like this :).

Really couldn't care less how the other 97% live. This is Connecticut!!!!! We have Geno and they don't!!!!

Reaction Score
We just love good basketball, at the highest level, its gets no better than UConn. Yes we are spoiled to the fact that we hate to see the season end without a championship. For me it got so bad I couldn't enjoy the Stanford-Arizona because UConn was not playing. Anyway this Board is awesome, some of fans have great insight. I literally can't wait each day to see what was posted or said. Thank you ALL for another great season!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom