Other fan bases think we’re weird | The Boneyard

Other fan bases think we’re weird

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Our team goes 28-2, makes it’s 13th straight Final Four with a bunch of underclassmen, has the best player in the country for three or four more years and yet... we bitch and moan because, gasp, the players are human beings that couldn’t beat a motivated, talented team. A loss, horrors! Fans of other programs would love to have the Huskies’ problems. As our new friend said in his post:

Reaction Score
I noticed that someone mentioned that UConn can’t seem to get over a four year Final Four “slump.” I’m pretty sure almost every other school in the country would LOVE to have a slump of losing in 4 consecutive Final Fours.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
o, we've got loads of posters congratulating the team, commiserating and wishing them well in the off-season.

this is the internet: there's gotta be a quota of cranks & curmudgeons too. why shouldn't we be a leader there too?

Reaction Score
This Louisville fan is envious because UConn has:
  1. The best WBB program in the country
  2. The best WBB fan base in the country
  3. The best WBB fan website in the country
I know how difficult it is for a team to make just one Final Four. We've been to three of them and each was special.

Reaction Score
Okay, maybe it's time to change our famous slogan to "UConn, Weirdness Basketball Capital of the World"? It's time to up our game over the Vol Nation people and stay #1.

Reaction Score
I noticed that someone mentioned that UConn can’t seem to get over a four year Final Four “slump.” I’m pretty sure almost every other school in the country would LOVE to have a slump of losing in 4 consecutive Final Fours.
Well, when you have these standards, this is a serious slump, even the players think so! Ha Ha

Reaction Score
I don't think the UConn fanbase is weird for being a disappointed the team lost. I do think it's funny how people can forget how the other 97% live sometimes.

I've loved women's basketball since I was a youngster due to the fact my mother was an excellent high school player. My father didn't play basketball and didn't care for the game. My high school had a much more successful girls program than guys. Attending college at MSU there was zero opportunity to watch a quality product live at that time unless a top opposing team visited. I loved the sport well before MSU's brief success and will continue to. I posted in 2016 here after the 4 peat that I hoped UConn fans appreciated what they were experiencing and to enjoy the heck out of it. Did I think UConn would go five years without a title at that point? Honestly no but there have been some very worthy champions crowned since and will be again tonight.

The reason people take such pleasure in beating UConn is it doesn't happen very often. No team wins them all but there hasn't been anyone with this much high level success. Even the biggest fans only see one aspect of the sport, the wins on the court. There are a thousand other things that go on in a program each year. Not winning a NC does not mean the seasons wasn't successful. This year even having a full season is a minor miracle and that goes for everyone.

Weird? No, but maybe a little spoiled. But if it weren't for UConn's success making such intense fans of the game there wouldn't be a place online to discuss it like this :).

Reaction Score
What's the point of a discussion board if everyone had the same point of view??
Nobody trashed these fine young players more than their own coach.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I don't mind the crazy optimists and I love the high standards and expectations. What gets me are the fans who switch to bashers at the drop of a hat and those who think that that "175-0" is something they are somehow entitled to and that they are being victimized, by the players they allegedly root for, when it doesn't happen.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
When Geno talks about his players it is purposely and usually effective. Players come from all over and choose UConn from multiple options to get their buttons pushed by Geno because they know he is going to make them better. Trashing of players on the Boneyard by 'fans' is pure self-gratification and anger venting, serving no purpose. As for Geno, he may make some decisions that reasonable fans may find worthy of discussion - often because he's operating with information that the rest of don't have access to. The "Geno got outcoached", "Geno's lost it" or "I know better than Geno" (my favorite) stuff is just mind-numbingly stupid. UConn's hiring of Geno is probably the single most significant event in the history of WCBB and every school not named UConn (maybe with 2 or 3 exceptions) wishes they had been the ones to make such a good hire. The Boneyard, the lofty expectations, the luxury of taking final fours for granted -- Geno built all of it - from nothing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh, yes, there were posts trashing the players in the most insulting ways possible. Neither the posts nor the posters remain on the Boneyard.

Friday was a very bad day for trolls.

Reaction Score
Anyone who reads McGraw's Bench or Vol Nation understands that the Boneyard is one of the best blogs out there, filled with interesting, well thought out posts. The "lunatic fringe" is is relatively small and so out there, its easy to tune out.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Anyone who reads McGraw's Bench or Vol Nation understands that the Boneyard is one of the best blogs out there, filled with interesting, well thought out posts. The "lunatic fringe" is is relatively small and so out there, its easy to tune out.
It's really cool that Iowa fans or Arizona fans find their way to the Boneyard before a game and are met with a civil basketball discussion; a lot of fan boards out there where guests are either not allowed or rudely run-off. I'm glad this is not one of those places.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It's at times like these that I find it's time to take a few steps back. I know my opinions on what happened - and yes they are just opinions like everybody else. No need on my part to try and debate those who think they know better on how to coach this talented group of ladies. Nothing I say will change their minds.

Disappointed in the loss - yes.

It's at times like this that I look back at what UConn women's basketball has accomplished during Geno's tenure. What jumps out, more than the national championships, and the All Americans and award winners, is the consistent excellence and relevence of the program. Look at the list of programs that were powerhouses and are no longer. Teams UConn played with Geno as coach - Old Dominion, Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Georgia under Andy Landers. More recently with our first big rival Tennessee falling but now on the rise with Harper. Notre Dame, our other big rival, having fallen on hard times. Georgia is coming back under Joni Taylor.

The 94 - 95 season put women's college basketball on the map with, to the nation, with a little known program in the farm county of northwest Connecticut. UConn became the national daring of women's basketball. Then UConn became the standard for women's basketball. UConn still is the standard for women's basketball.

This season was one hell of a ride. Didn't know what to expect. A lot of pubicity and hype about the freshman. Liked what I heard and saw. Potential only goes so far. And we all now the number of players who had the potential and hype and didn't deliver. Thanks to technology and the move to the Big East and the FS1 contract, the wife and I didn't miss a game. Otherwise, we Florida residents don't get a chance to get SNY. The growth of the individual players and the growth of the team are amazing. I was blown away by the maturity and play of the Minnesota freshman by the name of Paige Bueckers. Then is was Nika and Aaliyah showing their talent.

So to all the couch coaches - have at it. Show us what you think you know. I'll stop in in now and then to see and read what's up. To those posters with reasonable dialogue, keep it going. We will engage again.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Oh, yes, there were posts trashing the players in the most insulting ways possible. Neither the posts nor the posters remain on the Boneyard.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Nan, Biff, and the other mods for the great job they do. They’re so good the I’m blissfully unaware of most of the troll traffic.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
+1. I didn't realize it until you mentioned it, but until this week, we too had been in a "slump" of four losses in the Final Four since our last time in the championship game in 2010. But in our case, that "slump" has constituted our most glorious moments of basketball over the past decade. And this from the team that has the all-time winningest coach in WCBB.

Truly, the fan expectations around here can sometimes border on laughable, especially w/r/t Geno. I really don't think the some in your fan base appreciate just how legendary a gem of a coach you have. I feel very confident in saying that when he retires there will never, ever be another like him - in wins, in ability to transform a program, and in ability to develop players better than any coach I've ever seen in any sport. Worth stepping back and appreciating what you have while you have it.

Reaction Score

I hear you. Coming here to insult our players should never be acceptable, keep up the good work.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's really cool that Iowa fans or Arizona fans find their way to the Boneyard before a game and are met with a civil basketball discussion; a lot of fan boards out there where guests are either not allowed or rudely run-off. I'm glad this is not one of those places.

Even High Point fans fan was met with civil discussions. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom