OT: Youtube tv | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Youtube tv

Reaction Score
I had Hulu live on Roku for a few months a year ago. It was an ok value but 1) I hated the interface, 2) lots of buffering (I have 200 Mb download

Get the free trials and see which you like.
I had the same problem with Roku stock Switched to the fire Stick and buffering issues stopped. Much faster on fire stick. But the interface is much better on a phone/tablet than the tv

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I think the plan is going to be:
1. Verizon Fios 100Mbps internet only $39.99
2. Youtube TV - every channel UConn plays $40.00
3. Amazon Prime - gets the HGTV shows wife wants. $8.33 ($99/ year)
4. Fire Stick ($39.99 one time per tv)

So that brings me to $90/mo give or take.

Did I miss anything?

Reaction Score

Did I miss anything?

Amazon prime is going up to $120 /year. So $12 a month

Is there a preferred/con list to a fire stick vs. a roku? I have rokus and they are a little cheaper if that matters .

CL82

Reaction Score

Is there a preferred/con list to a fire stick vs. a roku? I have rokus and they are a little cheaper if that matters .
Fire sticks and amazon prime get me the HGTV/food network stuff I need to placate the Mrs., other than that no.

Reaction Score
Fire sticks and amazon prime get me the HGTV/food network stuff I need to placate the Mrs., other than that no.

Like once you have the fire stick and prime there isn't an extra cost for HGTV?

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Update of Hulu Live after a weekend of football. ESPN streams are great because they literally stream their watch espn stuff, no commercials, just the standby graphic. Fox looked OK for the giants and CBS looked like trash for the patriots....so pretty much par for the course.

Reaction Score

You can't watch YoutubeTV with a Firestick. Get a Roku stick.

Reaction Score
Thanks. That's the one I have. It's perfectly fast when I'm near the router, but gives me very mediocre house coverage. I'm paying them to "lease" it every month. Sounds like you are as well. I'd like to get a mesh system and would buy a fios-compatible modem but Verizon doesn't want you to go independent so they make it pretty tough to figure out what will work. I'll update if/when I figure it out.

I said I'd update (if anyone cares). I called fios and reupped for another 2 years which saved me some money. I sent back two of my boxes, which saved me $14 per month. So I'm down $40 per month. I figure by then we maybe in a better position to cut the cord. It turns out I am not paying separately for my quantum router, so I kept that. I went with the Google Wifi system, primarily because it was cheaper and more user-friendly than the Orbi. It's been great. I'm getting upwards of 85/85 in all areas other than my basement, which is still coming in at 50/50. I pay for 75/75 from Verizon. The biggest pain was updating the Ring doorbell, but that's better now also.

CL82

Reaction Score
I said I'd update (if anyone cares). I called fios and reupped for another 2 years which saved me some money. I sent back two of my boxes, which saved me $14 per month. So I'm down $40 per month. I figure by then we maybe in a better position to cut the cord. It turns out I am not paying separately for my quantum router, so I kept that. I went with the Google Wifi system, primarily because it was cheaper and more user-friendly than the Orbi. It's been great. I'm getting upwards of 85/85 in all areas other than my basement, which is still coming in at 50/50. I pay for 75/75 from Verizon. The biggest pain was updating the Ring doorbell, but that's better now also.
So that's just internet?

Reaction Score

Did I miss anything?
I have to switch in November so let me get this straight. YouTube Good for UCONN games, Yankees, Giants on channel 61 and NBC, ABC and CBS local. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have to switch in November so let me get this straight. YouTube Good for UCONN games, Yankees, Giants on channel 61 and NBC, ABC and CBS local. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Youtube tv has all the ESPNs, CBSSN, SNY and NESN, if I recall correctly. Take a look they list their channels.

Reaction Score
Youtube tv has all the ESPNs, CBSSN, SNY and NESN, if I recall correctly. Take a look they list their channels.
Just found out that they have Fios for internet in my area, so the question to all those who have had both, is there a noticeable difference in surfing and streaming from Comcast high speed home internet?

Reaction Score
Just found out that they have Fios for internet in my area, so the question to all those who have had both, is there a noticeable difference in surfing and streaming from Comcast high speed home internet?

FIOS has a better upload, but most likely you don't do enough of that for it to matter. FIOS does often offer gigabit download speeds, which is generally higher than what Comcast offers. Might notice for streaming, but you'd have to spring for it (although it's not THAT expensive where I live relative to Comcast prices).

I've only had 1 brief outage with Fios in 8 months, and Comcast in my past has been far more annoying with dropping connection. But a lot of that probably varies based on local unknowable infrastructure (for example I have Comcast for my small business and have had 0 outages in ~2 years with business service).

Reaction Score
Signed up for a 7 day trial today. We’ll see how it goes. Paying $146 for Optimum Triple Play right now so I’ll have to do the math vs YT TV and internet. Sucks not getting MSG for the Rangers, but I can just stream those games through other sources. Same with NFL network.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So that's just internet?
I have their triple serviceI only posted above because I had asked a question about needing a fios modem when shutting down their WiFi. All of their modems are routers and I had bad performance from mine. My primary TVs were in dead spots. And with an extender I had 4 networks to jump on and off of. The mesh system has been great. For a few reasons we weren’t ready to cut the cord on cable or the land line.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have their triple serviceI only posted above because I had asked a question about needing a fios modem when shutting down their WiFi. All of their modems are routers and I had bad performance from mine. My primary TVs were in dead spots. And with an extender I had 4 networks to jump on and off of. The mesh system has been great. For a few reasons we weren’t ready to cut the cord on cable or the land line.
You are paying $40/mo for Triple play? That is an incredible deal.

Reaction Score
You are paying $40/mo for Triple play? That is an incredible deal.
No. Sorry for the confusion. “I’m down $40” meaning I lowered the bill by $40. I think I’m at like $160 for the triple with a couple boxes and Showtime. Of course I still pay for Netflix and Prime.

CL82

Reaction Score
No. Sorry for the confusion. “I’m down $40” meaning I lowered the bill by $40. I think I’m at like $160 for the triple with a couple boxes and Showtime. Of course I still pay for Netflix and Prime.
Still a good deal but if you got it for $40/mo I was going to offer you a C note to negotiate my deal!

Reaction Score
Can you use Youtube TV on a fire stick? I can launch regular YouTube, but don’t seem to be able to access YouTube TV?

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Can you use Youtube TV on a fire stick? I can launch regular YouTube, but don’t seem to be able to access YouTube TV?

Unless something has changed in the past few months, you can't use YouTube TV on the fire stick.

Reaction Score
Unless something has changed in the past few months, you can't use YouTube TV on the fire stick.

That's correct. YTTV on a fire stick is a no go. It's a real bummer because I have a couple sticks and was ready to pull the trigger and cut the cord. Don't really mind spending on a Chromecast, but can't stand that they make it so hard to standardize on a platform.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom