OT: Your All-Time Favorite Rock "Anthems" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Your All-Time Favorite Rock "Anthems"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Ok. (gotta give us a little time to find the stuff)

Good one Meyers - It's on my "Family Jewels" DVD set. When my wife is not home I can make the little knick-knacks on the mantle dance !

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Can't find one with the original cast (Leslie West, Felix Pappalardi, Corky Laing) that has a decent sound track, so you get West & Peter Frampton with anonymous backups.
This isn't an anthem, but a concert at the Fillmore East in the very early 70's was my first appreciation of make-your-ears-bleed heavy rock.
And Mr. West is a helluva guitarist, which unfortunately didn't show on his studio recordings.

Oh, the music starts at 1:25, but I don't know how to set the playback start there.

Reaction Score
10. Paint it Black, Rolling Stones (drum along, and at the bridge, just try to re-enter on the same beat as Charlie Watts does. You won't.)

9. The Story In Your Eyes, Moody Blues (is it thinly veiled "Jesus Rock?" Could be.)

8. Piano Concerto #1, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (just.plain.awesome.)

7. Once or Twice, Chicago (loved to crank it up on my Bose 901 II's. It just rips)

6. Manhole, Grace Slick (ironically, the best thing Slick ever did was a never-shot film score that was the least heard; today, the vinyl LP is a collector's item)

5. Tobacco Road, Blues Magoos (with Ralph Scala's keyboard work, it was wild and cool at the same time)

4. Soul Sacrifice, Santana (Carlos was and still is a great talent, a unique sound then and now)

3. Layla/fast version, Derek and the Dominoes (so classic, and so classy-unless you know the back story. Hint: Layla was a real person.

2. The Whistler, Jethro Tull (Ian Andersen tops even himself with a rockin' penny whistle)

1. Won't Get Fooled Again, The Who (Keith Moon's drumming is just unreal, as is Entwhistle's clean and fast bass run. The Who was way ahead of their time. Way ahead.
Your #1 and mine are the same.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

That's well done, but it's too bad that they are not on the same stage. I guess that's what having artistic differences does.

Here's "Comfortably Numb" plus three others as a bonus with Waters and Gilmour together (before Richard Wright died). As the fan's sign reads, "Pigs Have Flown." ;)

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Jose Feliciano took a lot of heat for his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner in 1968. It still remains my favorite Rock Anthem.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
And everybody's favorite, that's right, "I'm Eighteen" by Alice Cooper.

Now some people will argue that Alice Cooper was really a guy, but Joe Walsh, my great uncle, says it just ain't so---and he has the pictures to prove it.

Reaction Score
No mention of "Free Bird", "Baba O'Riley" or "Thunderstruck" ?
( On the phone, difficult to attach a performance)

A thank you to Milford Husky for posting video's of the first two. Here's the third.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can't find one with the original cast (Leslie West, Felix Pappalardi, Corky Laing) that has a decent sound track, so you get West & Peter Frampton with anonymous backups.
This isn't an anthem, but a concert at the Fillmore East in the very early 70's was my first appreciation of make-your-ears-bleed heavy rock.
And Mr. West is a helluva guitarist, which unfortunately didn't show on his studio recordings.

Oh, the music starts at 1:25, but I don't know how to set the playback start there.

Here's one before he lost his leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01