OT: Yanks $2 Bill player salary since 2010 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Yanks $2 Bill player salary since 2010

Reaction Score
Betts will be traded, Martinez will opt out, JBJ will be traded, Pedroia will retire and take a settlement, and the 2020 Red Sox will be nothing more than a slightly better than .500 team. However, in 2021 they will resign Betts and have financial flexibility for 3 years until they have to reset the Lux tax. The reason teams are getting under the cap is because of the draft and international signing penalties, not the monetary penalties!
I would be shocked if they trade Betts and then re-sign him. Certainly isn't something the organization can bank on. But you're right to point out the international signing penalties - goes back to how poorly the union has positioned themselves in the current CBA.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Good thing the Yankees as of late focus on their farm system and situational free agent adds (with Edwin and Stanton being the outliers here). It’s a better strategy than buying everything.

it’s a mix of both. It’s very difficult to have a homegrown team of 25 guys.

the rays and athletics were built by trades.

Teams need to find those little wins on the edges. CLE’s run has been boosted by heavy platoon advantages.

oakland has found sp off the scrap heap

And Tampa finds guys who throw 100 in their couch cushions, plus they’re the best traders in the world.

but you need to find cheap talent to offset some of your high priced moves. Whether it’s home grown (judge for first few years),scrsp heap (urshella), rule V or whatever.

yanks are gonna be interesting cause judge is gonna start getting paid soon too. They need to balance that with filling some other needs.

the Q

Reaction Score
Weird that the Mets made it to the World Series in the 2010's and the Yankees did not.

that was the worst managed World Series of all time.

It was ridiculous watching Collins and Yost both try to give it away.

and then familia had a really bad week at the worst time. The real ws MVP.

Reaction Score
Weird that the Mets made it to the World Series in the 2010's and the Yankees did not.

Not really better pitching. That's the difference, Cashman hasn't met the requirements to win series vs strong pitching staffs. We just saw it again along with the fact they have way too many .230 hitters with the long ball or nothing. They certainly haven't been as competitive as the Yanks in the 2010's.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not really better pitching. That's the difference, Cashman hasn't met the requirements to win series vs strong pitching staffs. We just saw it again along with the fact they have way too many .230 hitters with the long ball or nothing. They certainly haven't been as competitive as the Yanks in the 2010's.

They also didn’t have good defense.

Really the starters just got absurdly hot and Murphy went bonkers until the WS.

Reaction Score
Insomnia is a funny thing… I clicked on this thread expecting to read about some obscure Yankees player taking a two dollar salary for the last nine years to be a part of the team…

Reaction Score
Salary floor would further hurt small-mid market teams. They would be forced to sign middle of the road FA at inflated salaries to meet an arbitrary floor that would then cause them to be cash strapped to extend their cost controlled players or to make a run at a marquee FA when their stars align and they have that 2-3 year window to make a run.

There are only about 4 teams in baseball who can operate like the Yankees and they are all large market teams who have billion $$ regional sports market deals and the ability to absorb $300 million mistakes. A small/ mid market makes that mistake it sets the franchise back 8 years
Yeah I see where you are coming from. Nevertheless, I'd like to see the teams not tank and put their revenue sharing money back into the team instead of the owners pocketing them.

Perhaps change it to a 154 game schedule and have it like soccer where the worse teams are demoted to AAA. :)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Every single one can afford at least a 9 figure payroll.

And they could easily sign those middle of the road FAs to one year deals. Zero long term risk.

Point #1 may be true. Point #2 is simply a bad idea.

I don't know if I even care how much a management group makes. I do care that they are essentially stewards of something akin to a public trust in their cities.

One of the positives about MLB has long been that it's been an affordable ticket to most fans, unlike every other major sport. A floor would increase ticket prices as a starting point while not addressing competitiveness.

Point #2 also ignores the current compensation system, which widely available analytics conclusively shows the value of players and is skewed very heavily to those in pre-arb/arb situations who can't test free agency. There are very few post-arb "superstars" worth their salaries. Somehow, that needs to be addressed with either shorter terms of team control or earlier qualification for arbitration or both.

Additionally, and this is certainly a sore point for us in Pittsburgh, there needs to be something like an "anti-luxury tax" that would still allow a team to "tank" for a year, but would have some sort of 3-to-5 year rolling average on "competitiveness" that would dictate how much revenue sharing a team gets. That would reward better management. And if an ownership group fails to meet competitiveness standards repeatedly (term tbd), then MLB will step in and take control.

Whatever happens in the next CBA, the MLBPA can't be shortsighted in just promoting the interests of its veteran membership, most of whom aren't worth their salaries. Compensation for minor leaguers, draft compensation, and compensation especially players in their first six years needs to be the primary focus.

Speaking as a Pirates fan, let's not forget it was a big market team (Red Sox) who forced a change to the draft because a small market team (Pirates) actually did spend significant $$ on the draft, outspending every other team in MLB for several years before the "draft pool" was instituted. See Bell, Josh.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score

I don't know if I even care how much a management group makes. I do care that they are essentially stewards of something akin to a public trust in their cities.

One of the positives about MLB has long been that it's been an affordable ticket to most fans, unlike every other major sport. A floor would increase ticket prices as a starting point while not addressing competitiveness.

Point #2 also ignores the current compensation system, which, with widely available analytics conclusive shows the value of players and is skewed very heavily to those in pre-arb/arb situations who can't test free agency. There are very few post-arb "superstars" worth their salaries. Somehow, that needs to be addressed with either shorter terms of team control or earlier qualification for arbitration or both.

Additionally, and this is certainly a sore point for us in Pittsburgh, there needs to be something like an "anti-luxury tax" that would still allow a team to "tank" for a year, but would have some sort of 3-to-5 year rolling average on "competitiveness" that would dictate how much revenue sharing a team gets. That would reward better management. And if an ownership group fails to meet competitiveness standards repeatedly (term tbd), then MLB will step in and take control.

Whatever happens in the next CBA, the MLBPA can't be shortsighted in just promoting the interests of its veteran membership, most of whom aren't worth their salaries. Compensation for minor leaguers, draft compensation, and compensation especially players in their first six years needs to be the primary focus.

Speaking as a Pirates fan, let's not forget it was a big market team (Red Sox) who forced a change to the draft because a small market team (Pirates) actually did spend significant $$ on the draft, outspending every other team in MLB for several years before the "draft pool" was instituted. See Bell, Josh.

Yup and I said it was stupid long term.

It gives you less access to talent (as Keith law infamously said, mlb and mlbpa basically are telling foreign players to go play soccer), and only hurt the small market teams.

But the small market teams always claimed they were spending their revenue sharing on amateur talent, now they don’t have that excuse. So it needs to go to talent.

the Q

Reaction Score

Point #2 also ignores the current compensation system, which, with widely available analytics conclusive shows the value of players and is skewed very heavily to those in pre-arb/arb situations who can't test free agency. There are very few post-arb "superstars" worth their salaries. Somehow, that needs to be addressed with either shorter terms of team control or earlier qualification for arbitration or both.

Minor league compensation should not be. That has no effect on mlb players. It’s not the mlbpa’s job to address that.

Teams need to invest in the product.

Give extensions or something. But you can’t keep crying Poverty with all the money flowing in. Maybe you should sell your team then.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yup and I said it was stupid long term.

It gives you less access to talent (as Keith law infamously said, mlb and mlbpa basically are telling foreign players to go play soccer), and only hurt the small market teams.

But the small market teams always claimed they were spending their revenue sharing on amateur talent, now they don’t have that excuse ability. So it needs to go to talent overpaid marginal players.

The above edits provide a typical Pirates fan view of this. Which is not to excuse the buffoonish moves our FO has made the past four years. But changing the draft to the current pool money concept took away a competitive advantage from small market teams.

the Q

Reaction Score
The above edits provide a typical Pirates fan view of this. Which is not to excuse the buffoonish moves our FO has made the past four years. But changing the draft to the current pool money concept took away a competitive advantage from small market teams.

No, they do have he ability. Every team can handle a 9 figure payroll.

They chose not to.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Minor league compensation should not be. That has no effect on mlb players. It’s not the mlbpa’s job to address that.

Teams need to invest in the product.

Give extensions or something. But you can’t keep crying Poverty with all the money flowing in. Maybe you should sell your team then.

You'd have a hard time finding a Pirates fan who does not want Nutting to sell the team. I guess you didn't read the back half of my earlier post.

I recognize that the BY is 95% Yankees/Red Sox fans. Let me assure you that when the Pirates were actually competitive from 2013-2015, every fan wanted to spend an additional $10-$25 mill on annual salary to improve on the existing team.

But forcing a bad team to spend $100 million just to sign a bunch of underperforming players is kind of silly. As a huge baseball fan, it would actually make me angry (much like the Archer trade did).

We're having an interesting situation develop here due to the PNC Park contract terms being discussed openly, with the possibility of our mayor/city council able to view all the financials, which would probably mean those financials would be made public. The lawyers are fighting as we speak.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No, they do have he ability. Every team can handle a 9 figure payroll.

They chose not to.

I see you're simply choosing to be obtuse here.

Reaction Score
Over $2 Billion spent on player salaries with no titles to show for. That is an amazing amount of money for one organization to spend. Crazy

Well Kansas hasn't won in 11 years and Arizona hasn't won in 22. Perspective! :)

the Q

Reaction Score
I see you're simply choosing to be obtuse here.

no. You did ability. Ability implies they can’t or wouldn’t be profitable. That’s incorrect.
They are choosing to bake in their profits and be mediocre rather than attempt a successful product and get more from being competitive

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
no. You did ability. Ability implies they can’t or wouldn’t be profitable. That’s incorrect.
They are choosing to bake in their profits and be mediocre rather than attempt a successful product and get more from being competitive

Now you're going all Mulvaney, lol.

Let's look at the context again:

But the small market teams always claimed they were spending their revenue sharing on amateur talent, now they don’t have that excuse ability. So it needs to go to talent overpaid marginal players.

Please explain how small market teams still have the ability to spend more than large market teams on amateur talent. The "pool money" scheme promoted by the Red Sox and other large market teams eliminated that.

I'll follow up with this: 2011 MLB Draft: Pirates Shatter Draft Spending Record

What did $17 million buy in FA in 2011 that was a better investment than Cole and Bell?

You're arguing that teams need to pay premiums for mediocre talent just to spend the money. I'm arguing that investments have to be made to improve competitiveness, but I don't care if it's amateur or pro.

Regarding your point on extensions. The Pirates have done that and have been mostly successful (McCutchen, Marte, Polanco). But that was also several years ago before salaries for even mediocre players became stupid. We're finally starting to see push back on that from owners unwilling to sign marginal players in the offseason until prices come down. When the FA market finally starts to price itself according to WAR performance/projections instead of comps based on service time, you'll see the extension market explode across the board.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ownership of both the Yankees and the Sox have, in very recent years, made a fuss about needing to cut costs and get underneath the salary cap - despite the fact that both franchises essentially print money.

Heck, in the last month the Sox have signaled that they may trade their greatest homegrown player in decades (Betts) and/or choose not to pick up the option of the best (non-Trout) AL slugger over the last 2 years (JD Martinez). At least the other owners are honest about what they're trying to do: make as much money as possible while giving up the least amount of power and control to the players.
Before the Sox made their signal, Betts signaled that he is intent on going to free agency, which is a Boras client's MO. JD Martinez's option is not on the team. It's his.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I didn’t get into this with my previous post but 100% agree. In then NBA, 19yos can make $7 million a year, then, what, $30 mil by the time they’re 23? In baseball, 19yos are making 5k a month riding a bus between Aberdeen, MD and Staten Island in Short Season A, then if they’re lucky to get called up at 23, make maybe $800k that first year, and no big payday chance until arb years are used up at 29-30. The entire system must be revamped to give the players more financial freedom. I get baseball is losing ground to NFL/NBA, but this ain’t Major League Lacrosse. Make things better for minor leaguers (which I know is in the works) and create more opportunity for MLB players to get what they’re worth, so they don’t get backed into contracts like Jose Ramirez or Ozzie Albies.
Apples and oranges.

In basketball 19 year olds can compete right away with 27 year olds. Put a college freshman in the batters box vs. Noah Syndergaard and 99/100 times, he's not worth the $5k/month he would be making in the bus leagues. They need that time.

It's also out of context. Only the top of the NFL draft gets that type of money. Minimum Salary in the G-League is $7,000/month or $35,000/season.

the Q

Reaction Score
Now you're going all Mulvaney, lol.

Let's look at the context again:

Please explain how small market teams still have the ability to spend more than large market teams on amateur talent. The "pool money" scheme promoted by the Red Sox and other large market teams eliminated that.

I'll follow up with this: 2011 MLB Draft: Pirates Shatter Draft Spending Record

What did $17 million buy in FA in 2011 that was a better investment than Cole and Bell?

You're arguing that teams need to pay premiums for mediocre talent just to spend the money. I'm arguing that investments have to be made to improve competitiveness, but I don't care if it's amateur or pro.

Regarding your point on extensions. The Pirates have done that and have been mostly successful (McCutchen, Marte, Polanco). But that was also several years ago before salaries for even mediocre players became stupid. We're finally starting to see push back on that from owners unwilling to sign marginal players in the offseason until prices come down. When the FA market finally starts to price itself according to WAR performance/projections instead of comps based on service time, you'll see the extension market explode across the board.

i get yo ur point about 2011 draft. I’m saying they can’t do that anymore so where is that money going since it’s clearly not going to the on-field talent.

Reaction Score
i get yo ur point about 2011 draft. I’m saying they can’t do that anymore so where is that money going since it’s clearly not going to the on-field talent.

It's being used setting up international scouting and training camps across the Dominican republic and central/ south America. It's also used so when those small-mid market teams have that short window to go all in they can make a run and throw a huge offer at 1-2 big pieces in FA or afford to make a trade for a team trying to offload a big contract

Being a .500 team and spending $100+ mil just to spend is the worst running of way to run a team in baseball. Not every team can operate like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, angels, red Sox

You have still ignored why you guys are complaining about not using the luxury tax money but don't want to share your regional sports network revenue

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges.

In basketball 19 year olds can compete right away with 27 year olds. Put a college freshman in the batters box vs. Noah Syndergaard and 99/100 times, he's not worth the $5k/month he would be making in the bus leagues. They need that time.

It's also out of context. Only the top of the NFL draft gets that type of money. Minimum Salary in the G-League is $7,000/month or $35,000/season.

The minor league thing was a separate issue. They shouldn't have to endure all that while making next to nothing, which is why I'm happy there's reform coming. I can imagine that MiLB makes considerably more money than the G-League, so I don't necessarily buy that point. Salaries should be better for these younger players, even if it's not a million a year. They shouldn't have to worry about other jobs during the offseason.

Fair enough on the Syndergaard point, though. I've always felt a sense of pride in being a former baseball player and the sheer time it takes to go from amateur ball to the MLB, and just how talented those players that make it are. But why do MLB players have to wait until they're 30 years old for their payday? Rookie contracts/Arb years are what they are, but why does that coveted second contract have to come so late for baseball players? In the NBA, people are making $30 million after three years of playing. Under the current system Aaron Judge theoretically (I know, he'd make a good amount in Arb and will probably in reality sign a massive extension before 2023) won't be able to see that money or move teams until he's 31, after SIX full years at the highest level. Perhaps there should be a reworking of how team control works, so that those second contracts for baseball can come sooner and the players can have more years of prime earning. But I suppose service time manipulation is a separate though related issue.

Reaction Score
Like the article starts at 2010 now what happened in 2009?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom