OT: Yanks $2 Bill player salary since 2010 | The Boneyard

OT: Yanks $2 Bill player salary since 2010

Reaction Score
It’d be pretty cool if all the team owners that get tens of millions in luxury tax payouts and revenue sharing invested all that money into their squads instead of pocketing it and calling themselves too destitute to compete. Say what you will about Yankee or Red Sox ownership but at least they want to win instead of simply turn a personal profit.

Reaction Score
What does it matter what a team spends on salary? If they’re pumping out a good product that’s what counts. Im glad to be Yankee fan and they overachieved this year especially w all their injuries. Losing to Houston and their pitching staff was expected.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I mean, from a business perspective, they’re making money hand over first so I wouldn’t exactly say they have nothing to show for their $2B investment. But from a fan perspective, yeah sucks man

From a fan perspective, sux to lose, but it's not our money!

EOD, they tried to win. Didn't work out. Happens.

Reaction Score
This is the first decade since the 1910's that the Yankees haven't been in a World Series. That's pretty crazy.

Reaction Score
It’d be pretty cool if all the team owners that get tens of millions in luxury tax payouts and revenue sharing invested all that money into their squads instead of pocketing it and calling themselves too destitute to compete. Say what you will about Yankee or Red Sox ownership but at least they want to win instead of simply turn a personal profit.
Ownership of both the Yankees and the Sox have, in very recent years, made a fuss about needing to cut costs and get underneath the salary cap - despite the fact that both franchises essentially print money.

Heck, in the last month the Sox have signaled that they may trade their greatest homegrown player in decades (Betts) and/or choose not to pick up the option of the best (non-Trout) AL slugger over the last 2 years (JD Martinez). At least the other owners are honest about what they're trying to do: make as much money as possible while giving up the least amount of power and control to the players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ownership of both the Yankees and the Sox have, in very recent years, made a fuss about needing to cut costs and get underneath the salary cap - despite the fact that both franchises essentially print money.

Heck, in the last month the Sox have signaled that they may trade their greatest homegrown player in decades (Betts) and/or choose not to pick up the option of the best (non-Trout) AL slugger over the last 2 years (JD Martinez). At least the other owners are honest about what they're trying to do: make as much money as possible while giving up the least amount of power and control to the players.

Successful as they've been on the field, the Red Sox owners are snivelings.

Reaction Score

While true, I’d say that for the Yankees it’s been about their soft rebuild in preparation for their next wide open window, which truly started this season. I fully expect them to blow past the thresholds over the next couple years by signing Cole and extending Judge, Torres, Sanchez, and others, because winning is everything (and yes, I’d be extremely disappointed and lose faith in Cashman and the Steinbrenners if they don’t do this). Likewise, it’s probably because Boston recognizes that their most recent window is closing that they’re now trying to save some money to have some flexibility for a quicker rebuild. I definitely agree that owners have too much power. The MLBPA needs to better negotiate for the next CBA to make sure the players are getting a more fair share. At least establish a salary floor.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Just to be clear. jd has a player option. It’s not up to the team.

But yeah they’re trying to reset the tax. Teams tend to do that now. Even the yanks and dodgers.

Reaction Score

It also be cool if all the large market teams shared their regional sports network money. That doesn't happen in mlb

Reaction Score
Totally agree. These owners are taking the fans money and instead of investing it into their teams, they are putting an inferior product on the field. MLB needs to have a salary floor or something and raise the salary cap.

the Q

Reaction Score
While true, I’d say that for the Yankees it’s been about their soft rebuild in preparation for their next wide open window, which truly started this season. I fully expect them to blow past the thresholds over the next couple years by signing Cole and extending Judge, Torres, Sanchez, and others, because winning is everything (and yes, I’d be extremely disappointed and lose faith in Cashman and the Steinbrenners if they don’t do this). Likewise, it’s probably because Boston recognizes that their most recent window is closing that they’re now trying to save some money to have some flexibility for a quicker rebuild. I definitely agree that owners have too much power. The MLBPA needs to better negotiate for the next CBA to make sure the players are getting a more fair share. At least establish a salary floor.

tony Clark is an awful union leader.

things would’ve been much better for mlb and it’s fans if Weiner didn’t die.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear. jd has a player option. It’s not up to the team.

But yeah they’re trying to reset the tax. Teams tend to do that now. Even the yanks and dodgers.
You're right, thanks for the correction.

Reaction Score
tony Clark is an awful union leader.

things would’ve been much better for mlb and it’s fans if Weiner didn’t die.
Anytime you have a labor dispute where the owners hire the sharpest, most cutthroat negotiators to represent them and the players have ... an ex-player ... well, it shouldn't be a surprise that Clark has been taken to the cleaners. MLBA needs to find someone like Michele Roberts if they want to get serious about any of the significant labor issues that are hampering the game.

the Q

Reaction Score
Anytime you have a labor dispute where the owners hire the sharpest, most cutthroat negotiators to represent them and the players have ... an ex-player ... well, it shouldn't be a surprise that Clark has been taken to the cleaners. MLBA needs to find someone like Michele Roberts if they want to get serious about any of the significant labor issues that are hampering the game.

They had one. probably the best of any of the pro sports unions. They were completely unprepared for his death.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They had one. probably the best of any of the pro sports unions. They were completely unprepared for his death.

And still not in the HoF. He's probably the most deserving guy available for election.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Totally agree. These owners are taking the fans money and instead of investing it into their teams, they are putting an inferior product on the field. MLB needs to have a salary floor or something and raise the salary cap.

Speaking as a Pirates fan who has to deal with Nutting, even I'm not a fan of a floor. We've seen what that looks like before Nutting took control, with the previous ownership signing washed up vets just to get the union off their backs.

Rather, what I'd like to see is higher minimum salaries for pre-arb players and fewer years of control. For most players, their highest value is during their pre-arb and arb years as most don't reach FA until 29 or 30.

Reaction Score
Speaking as a Pirates fan who has to deal with Nutting, even I'm not a fan of a floor. We've seen what that looks like before Nutting took control, with the previous ownership signing washed up vets just to get the union off their backs.

Rather, what I'd like to see is higher minimum salaries for pre-arb players and fewer years of control. For most players, their highest value is during their pre-arb and arb years as most don't reach FA until 29 or 30.
I didn’t get into this with my previous post but 100% agree. In then NBA, 19yos can make $7 million a year, then, what, $30 mil by the time they’re 23? In baseball, 19yos are making 5k a month riding a bus between Aberdeen, MD and Staten Island in Short Season A, then if they’re lucky to get called up at 23, make maybe $800k that first year, and no big payday chance until arb years are used up at 29-30. The entire system must be revamped to give the players more financial freedom. I get baseball is losing ground to NFL/NBA, but this ain’t Major League Lacrosse. Make things better for minor leaguers (which I know is in the works) and create more opportunity for MLB players to get what they’re worth, so they don’t get backed into contracts like Jose Ramirez or Ozzie Albies.

Reaction Score

Betts will be traded, Martinez will opt out, JBJ will be traded, Pedroia will retire and take a settlement, and the 2020 Red Sox will be nothing more than a slightly better than .500 team. However, in 2021 they will resign Betts and have financial flexibility for 3 years until they have to reset the Lux tax. The reason teams are getting under the cap is because of the draft and international signing penalties, not the monetary penalties!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
choose not to pick up the option of the best (non-Trout) AL slugger over the last 2 years (JD Martinez).

JD has an opt-out. Ownership has no option to choose to pick up or not. He is signed for three more seasons if he chooses not to exercise his opt-out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Good thing the Yankees as of late focus on their farm system and situational free agent adds (with Edwin and Stanton being the outliers here). It’s a better strategy than buying everything.

Reaction Score

Salary floor would further hurt small-mid market teams. They would be forced to sign middle of the road FA at inflated salaries to meet an arbitrary floor that would then cause them to be cash strapped to extend their cost controlled players or to make a run at a marquee FA when their stars align and they have that 2-3 year window to make a run.

There are only about 4 teams in baseball who can operate like the Yankees and they are all large market teams who have billion $$ regional sports market deals and the ability to absorb $300 million mistakes. A small/ mid market makes that mistake it sets the franchise back 8 years

the Q

Reaction Score
Salary floor would further hurt small-mid market teams. They would be forced to sign middle of the road FA at inflated salaries to meet an arbitrary floor that would then cause them to be cash strapped to extend their cost controlled players or to make a run at a marquee FA when their stars align and they have that 2-3 year window to make a run.

There are only about 4 teams in baseball who can operate like the Yankees and they are all large market teams who have billion $$ regional sports market deals and the ability to absorb $300 million mistakes. A small/ mid market makes that mistake it sets the franchise back 8 years

Every single one can afford at least a 9 figure payroll.

And they could easily sign those middle of the road FAs to one year deals. Zero long term risk.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The total suckness of all NY's pro sports teams this decade has kept the heat off the Yanks for not performing better.

Compared to the Mets, Giants, Jets and to a lesser extent the hockey teams no other NY team has been winning championships to make fans look inward and say "why aren't we winning?"

For a fan, Yanks have still been best return on money spent at a game to see a winner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom