OT Yankees Giradi Fired | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Yankees Giradi Fired

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The Yankees should hire their AAA manager. He'll work cheap, tow the line management gives him, his team's been successful, and he's worked with the young Yankees and upcoming prospects. Since the Yankees don't want an opinionated veteran manager and want a computer to manage the team, I'd much rather give the AAA guy a shot like they gave Showalter, than bring in a no-name from outside.

Reaction Score
Not surprised at all with this decision, actually an hour before the report came out I told my Yankees buddy Giradi was going to go.

To be honest it doesn’t really matter that much who becomes the Yankees manager, the culture and the ideology will start at the top.

Baseball managers have a very small impact on a Baseball game, that’s why they are called “managers” & not “coaches” like other sports.

There are no plays, football coaches obviously have the most impact out of the 4 major American sports with Basketball behind it, especially college Basketball. Hockey I don’t know anything about so.

A.J. Hinch was horrible in ALCS, but like I said no one even really noticed it and it effected a minimal amount. You don’t need a Terry Francona, just hire someone who won’t screw it up and the Yankees will be great.

Reaction Score
We need to bring Donnie Ballgame back to the Bronx where he belongs. He's got the experience as a manager he didn't have ten years ago. If he's available then the timing is perfect. If he's not available then my second choice is John Farrell. He managed in a big market and won. I think he would be a great fit. There's too many risks with a coach with no managerial experience.

Reaction Score
Brian Cashman worked in the Yankees front office for a decade before being named General Manager.
Brian Cashman was assistant farm director from 1990-92.
Brian Cashman was associate GM from 1993-96.

Its amazing how, apparently, none of that ever matters. Nope. He just showed up for the first time ever in 1996 and had nothing to do with building those teams.

Brian Cashman built the dynasty as much as anyone else. Anyone. Including Stick.

It's amazing how people are so unwilling to credit anyone but the head guy. The Cashman having no impact on their 90s dynasty sounds exactly like people who say KO had no impact on the 2014 national championship

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We need to bring Donnie Ballgame back to the Bronx where he belongs. He's got the experience as a manager he didn't have ten years ago. If he's available then the timing is perfect. If he's not available then my second choice is John Farrell. He managed in a big market and won. I think he would be a great fit. There's too many risks with a coach with no managerial experience.

Sure, if you want to set the clubs baseball ideology back in 30 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I used to not like Cashman, but he has been brilliant. To rate him, you would have to look at his work before and after The Boss's death/advanced illness. He was overruled often by George.
My concern is that he may be feeling too smart and taking it too far. Reminds me of the Sox. Best team, best farm system. Let's get rid of the GM and Tito. Valentine will do the trick!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Great stat: Only 19% of teams that fired their managers won more games the next year....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That would be too good to be true. You can't be a Yankee fan.

Reaction Score
This is old news now. Who cares anymore? The world series is on and the yankees are not im itt again. Uconn has a game. The guy won once in ten years with hiuge payrolls. Now a non story.

Mods, how about moving this to the Pro Sports board? Yankee threads are tedious anyway.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would have no problem with the Front Office making the in game decisions.

Pro tip: Don’t talk baseball on the internet if you know what you are talking about.

Internet baseball talk makes the BY football and basketball boards look like the Ivy League.

Reaction Score
Pro tip: Don’t talk baseball on the internet if you know what you are talking about.

Internet baseball talk makes the BY football and basketball boards look like the Ivy League.

What do you mean, other than it is against the rules to communicate during the game. I guess you could just have the front office sit in the dugout.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What do you mean, other than it is against the rules to communicate during the game. I guess you could just have the front office sit in the dugout.

I wasn't talking about his post I was talking about discourse on the internet about baseball in general.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It's almost like watching two different games. I got really into the saber movement around Moneyball (as I'm sure plenty did) and then reading Fangraphs daily for the better part of a decade.

I will say my gripe with going too analytics based is the dismissal of the clutch gene. I don't necessarily think some people are born to perform better in high leverage spots but I do think some players over a large enough sample size are more likely to perform at or near their career averages (Jeter, Ortiz) where as other players simply feel too much pressure. Very tough to put that into situations or use it to predict anything though.

Reaction Score
I hate the Yankees so that isn't coming from a homer. His team overachieved this year and he had to guide them through getting rid of the overpaid, over the hill players that started to handcuff the team. Cashman started building the farm system again and now when it starts to pay dividends and they surpass expectations he more or less gets canned

Raw deal after he's been a career Yankee and won a WS as a coach
Absolute nonsense. There is no such thing as a job someone "deserves" that they've had for a decade. Cashman determined that a young team needs a different kind of personality as manager. Nothing more. Girardi's contract expired, he was not fired. You can argue all you want about whether Cashman's assessment of his team is correct, but the last thing going on here is Girardi getting a raw deal. Yeah, they won the WS in 2009, but they had the same basic roster after that and didn't do much of anything with it. And for the record, acquaint yourself with a team's pythagorean record. Joe's Yankees actually UNDERPERFORMED this year. Expectations are meaningless.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, Donny is no Bobby Valentine. But other than that he's pretty good.
True, Bobby V took a team to the WS. Mattingly's teams get better after he leaves town. You could look it up. But I hear he's a nice guy.

Reaction Score
Irrelevant. It won't be Don Mattingly. You can take that to the bank.

Reaction Score
Irrelevant. It won't be Don Mattingly. You can take that to the bank.

Yeah seeing that Donnie is returning to the Mariners its kind of impossible for the Yankees to hire him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom