OT Yankees Giradi Fired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Yankees Giradi Fired

Reaction Score
Let's see here:

-4 World Series as GM
-6 AL Pennants as GM
-0 Losing Seasons
-Most recently, since given full control, navigated a complete rebuild without tanking and just made the ALCS.
-Remember that trade where the Yankees gave up that top prospect and they went on the regret it? Yeah me either.
-Didi, Hicks, Castro for castoffs.
-Drafted Judge, signed Severino and Sanchez.
-Traded two closers. Yes, closers for Gleyber Torress (consensus #1 prospect in MLB), Clint Frazier and Justus Sheffield.
-Purged the old salary and should be under the luxury tax, with one of the best young cores in MLB.

Counter those facts.

Gene Michael, Bob Watson and Buck Showalter built the Yankees dynasty of the 90's and Torre guided the way.

Cashman has had a nice last two years though. His deal with the White Sox at the trade deadline this year almost got the Yankees to the WS.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Well 3 of his 4 World Series came when he inherited a team with a core of hall of famers/borderline hall of famers not even entering their prime yet, and that had already won a world series and made the playoffs 3 straight years.

Inherited doesn't work on this board, I tried with Ollie in 2014.

Brian Cashman worked in the Yankees front office for a decade before being named General Manager.
Brian Cashman was assistant farm director from 1990-92.
Brian Cashman was associate GM from 1993-96.

Its amazing how, apparently, none of that ever matters. Nope. He just showed up for the first time ever in 1996 and had nothing to do with building those teams.

Brian Cashman built the dynasty as much as anyone else. Anyone. Including Stick.

Reaction Score
Brian Cashman worked in the Yankees front office for a decade before being named General Manager.

Its amazing how, apparently, none of that ever matters. Nope. He just showed up for the first time ever in 1996 and had nothing to do with building those teams.

Brian Cashman built the dynasty as much as anyone else. Anyone. Including Stick.

For the record I think Cashman is the Man! Manager is overrated in baseball. Madden was awful last year and they won. Get talent .....Cashman has been a beast at that. Save the $5M+ on Girardi.

Reaction Score
Well besides that, what has he done?

Ill add to that you go back to the dynasty days the Knoblauch deal he traded away Guzman who turned out ok, Eric Milton who was a so so starter, Kenny Rogers for Brosius, David Wells Lloyd and Bush for Clemens Ricky Ledee for Justice (no 3 peat without Justice).

He waited it out for CC Sabathia in 09, when everyone was begging for him to trade away his prospects for Johan Santana, was able to keep Hughes and Joba (yeah they didnt turn out what people were expecting but they helped win that ring in 09). You see how Santana turned out vs CC. Trading away Wilson Betemeit for Nick Swisher, then getting a compensatory pick for Swisher which happened to be Aaron Judge. Cashman hasn't been perfect and he did make some signing that were stupid but overall he has an excellent track record and he has hit about 99.99 percent in trades.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My biggest beefs with the Yankee front office were the Joba rules and signing Ellsbury to that massive deal after letting Cano walk. Joba pitching so well out of relief when he first came up was ironically detrimental to his career as he got pigeon holed into a reliever and then yanked back and forth. Also, letting Cano was understandable (as much as it sucked to see him leave) but going out and signing Ellsbury was horrible the moment the pen hit the ink.

The Yankees have had a salary advantage over the years, which nobody can argue, but the fact they haven't finished beneath .500 since 1992 (!!!!) And under Cashman they went through a transition and missed the playoffs 5 times in the past decade, but all the teams have been competitive.

I don't think most people realize how hard it is to rebuild without tanking, even with the resources the Yankees have.

So, if it isn't apparent yet, I have complete faith in Cashman and believe that if he thinks the Yanks are better off to move on from Girardi, I'm inclined to defer to his 20 year run of excellence.

Reaction Score

Well...unless there's evidence that Cashman actually played a huge role in the decisions that led to the 96 and on team while he was in those roles, it shouldn't matter too much. Maybe there is that evidence but I've never seen it.

Reaction Score
Don't love it, but it is what it is. Agree with @ConnHuskBask in that baseball managers are probably the least important head coaching positions in professional sports. You only notice when you have an exceptionally bad one.

I'm curious to see who they get. Jason Giambis name has been floated around
Donny

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well...unless there's evidence that Cashman actually played a huge role in the decisions that led to the 96 and on team while he was in those roles, it shouldn't matter too much. Maybe there is that evidence but I've never seen it.

Could always start with job title?

Reaction Score
I hate the Yankees so that isn't coming from a homer. His team overachieved this year and he had to guide them through getting rid of the overpaid, over the hill players that started to handcuff the team. Cashman started building the farm system again and now when it starts to pay dividends and they surpass expectations he more or less gets canned

Raw deal after he's been a career Yankee and won a WS as a coach
I'm a Yankee die hard so we are polar opposites lol. When you put is that way I understand your point. But I wasn't looking at it that way. Girardi was a great manager for a long time and most Yankee fans thank him for that. But I believe it was time for a new voice. Let's just hope its the right one

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen all the praises for the current associate gm and assistant farm director.

When have you ever heard of praise being heaped onto an assistant GM?

Implying he had nothing to do with the dynasty teams when he was in the front office is strange.

Also, Billy Eppler (UConn guy btw) was his former assistant and now he's the GM of the Angels. I'd say that's pretty decent praise within the industry.

Reaction Score
Ill add to that you go back to the dynasty days the Knoblauch deal he traded away Guzman who turned out ok, Eric Milton who was a so so starter, Kenny Rogers for Brosius, David Wells Lloyd and Bush for Clemens Ricky Ledee for Justice (no 3 peat without Justice).

He waited it out for CC Sabathia in 09, when everyone was begging for him to trade away his prospects for Johan Santana, was able to keep Hughes and Joba (yeah they didnt turn out what people were expecting but they helped win that ring in 09). You see how Santana turned out vs CC. Trading away Wilson Betemeit for Nick Swisher, then getting a compensatory pick for Swisher which happened to be Aaron Judge. Cashman hasn't been perfect and he did make some signing that were stupid but overall he has an excellent track record and he has hit about 99.99 percent in trades.

The series of moves done to eventually end up with Aaron Judge actually started with Cashman trading Hideki Irabu.

Irabu to Expos for Jake Westbrook, Ted Lilly and Christian Parker
Jake Westbrook (also Zach Day, and Ricky Ledee) to Indians for David Justice
David Justice to Mets for Robin Ventura
Robin Ventura to Dodgers for Bubba Crosby and Scott Proctor
Scott Proctor to Dodgers for Wilson Betemit
Wilson Betemit (and Jeff Marquez & Johnny Nunez) to White Sox for Nick Swisher and Kanekoa Texeira
Nick Swisher signed as free agent with Indians -> Compensation pick used to draft Judge

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That's just not true at all. The in-game decisions can be made by the average Joe fan in terms of bullpen management and setting a lineup. I think the clubhouse aspect of managing personalities is overstated as well. I believe that falls way more on the leadership of player's on the team.

If you're a likable guy and your team plays hard, that's about the extent of being a manager in MLB.

Joe is a good manager, Joe will get another shot, I don't know if who the Yankees bring in will be as good as Joe. That said, unless you are complete buffoon, the results in terms of games won/loss is immaterial.
The position lands somewhere in between what both you folks are posting.
Its not the most important and certainly not as meaningless as you suggest
I would say it starts with the GM and then comes the manager
And I agree that catchers definitely make the best managers - pitchers the worst

If you're a likable guy and your team plays hard, that's about the extent of being a manager in MLB.

Way too simplistic and generalist - you think Joe Maddon is that shallow?

Reaction Score
I haven't seen all the praises for the current associate gm and assistant farm director.
When have you ever heard of praise being heaped onto an assistant GM?

Implying he had nothing to do with the dynasty teams when he was in the front office is strange.

Also, Billy Eppler (UConn guy btw) was his former assistant and now he's the GM of the Angels. I'd say that's pretty decent praise within the industry.

Jean Afterman has been assistant gm to Cashman since 2001 and there are a ton of articles online that talk about her importance to the Yankees and how she would be a great candidate to be the first female GM in baseball. Saying that she hasn't been praised is an understatement.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Baseball managers might be the most important managers of all sports ists 162-game season (8 months) keeping the clubhouse in order and having good chemistry and managing your Bullpen and pitching staff are essential to being a good manager and not every manager can do it

That's why catchers and career minor Leaguers are usually the better managers rather than All-Star Superstar players

Girardi got a raw deal

I was gonna say ... Confused, to say the least, at people saying it's one of the least important.

Reaction Score
The series of moves done to eventually end up with Aaron Judge actually started with Cashman trading Hideki Irabu.

Wilson Betemit (and Jeff Marquez & Johnny Nunez) to White Sox for Nick Swisher and Kanekoa Texeira
Nick Swisher signed as free agent with Indians -> Compensation pick used to draft Judge

Wow I never thought it went back that far, Irabu did help the Yankees after all lol, poor guy RIP.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seriously? Job title?!

Yeah, job title.

The associate GM of the Yankees who then became GM, wtf do you think he was doing? Playing solitaire all day.

Btw, nice job picking out this point and not the other 10 listed prior too.

Reaction Score

That's some fantastic research right there. Yours or did you read that?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let's see here:

-4 World Series as GM
-6 AL Pennants as GM
-0 Losing Seasons
-Most recently, since given full control, navigated a complete rebuild without tanking and just made the ALCS.
-Remember that trade where the Yankees gave up that top prospect and they went on the regret it? Yeah me either.
-Didi, Hicks, Castro for castoffs.
-Drafted Judge, signed Severino and Sanchez.
-Traded two closers. Yes, closers for Gleyber Torress (consensus #1 prospect in MLB), Clint Frazier and Justus Sheffield.
-Purged the old salary and should be under the luxury tax, with one of the best young cores in MLB.

Counter those facts.

Is this Earth?

The second they let Cash rebuild he set the franchise up for a decade within 12 months.

Reaction Score
Names I've heard- Al Pederique, Jay Bell, Tony Pena, Dusty Baker, Joe Espada, Don Mattingly

Wild cards- Arod, Raul Ibanez, Jason Giambi, Mike Francesa

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom