OT: World Series -- Who Ya Got? | The Boneyard

OT: World Series -- Who Ya Got?

Reaction Score
Dodgers in 7. Astros have the best offense in the league, but they have seldom faced pitching like the Dodgers.

Reaction Score
You won't convince me this isn't a subtle way to troll Yankees fans.

Mods please ban OP for a week.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm happy to root for Houston for multiple reasons, but I don't even know who to pick...

I think it's going 6-7, so I'm gonna say Astros in 7.

Reaction Score
Both teams are playing fantastic baseball, and it should be a great series. I'll be rooting for the Astros, but my gut says Dodgers in 5 or 6

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You won't convince me this isn't a subtle way to troll Yankees fans.

Mods please ban OP for a week.

If the Sox didn't get bounced by the same Houston team, you might have a point.

But, gosh, how ever could you have guessed I'm a Sox fan?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For me it comes down to Dave Roberts v. George Springer. I would be leaning to Roberts if he coached any other team but the Dodgers. Go 'Stro's.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for a Verlander-Kershaw Game 7. Talk about an all-time great starting matchup, history-wise.

Morris-Smoltz is up there, but Kershaw (surely) and Verlander (almost surely) is better than both of them, historically speaking.
Schilling-Clemens might rival it, but Schilling is a step below those two.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for a Verlander-Kershaw Game 7. Talk about an all-time great starting matchup, history-wise.

Morris-Smoltz is up there, but Kershaw (surely) and Verlander (almost surely) is better than both of them, historically speaking.

Schilling is a step below Kershaw regular season, probably 2 steps, but he's 2-3 steps ahead of Kershaw in the post season.

Reaction Score
Schilling is a step below Kershaw regular season, probably 2 steps, but he's 2-3 steps ahead of Kershaw in the post season.
Well, Schilling has had bigger stages so far. Kershaw still has a while to go in his career.

That said, it's going to be hard to match Schilling's post-season accomplishments. There are few great pitchers (Gibson? Koufax?) who can match Schilling for post season success.

Reaction Score

Disagree with the last part about Schilling. His 96-04 stretch is nearly identical to Verlander's 09-17 stretch (ERA and record being the same). Schilling actually narrowly edges JV in Era+ SO, IP, and (I'm assuming here given that BBRef doesn't show for these particular stretches but the numbers would seem to indicate so) WAR. And Schilling won 2 rings to JV's 0 (so far).

Reaction Score
Dodgers. They were the best team all year, they have the best pitcher of his generation, they have a way better bullpen than the Stros, Seager is back, and they have home field advantage.

Reaction Score
Schilling was amazing in some big playoff games but he's just not on Kershaw's level. Kershaw is one of the best pitchers ever.

Reaction Score
Schilling was amazing in some big playoff games but he's just not on Kershaw's level. Kershaw is one of the best pitchers ever.

He's indisputably a better postseason pitcher though.

Reaction Score
He's indisputably a better postseason pitcher though.
Of course but it's like saying a guy like David Justice is on Bonds level because he had more postseason success.

Reaction Score
Of course but it's like saying a guy like David Justice is on Bonds level because he had more postseason success.

No, I don't think pointing out that a borderline HoF pitcher being better than an ATG in the postseason is quite the same as comparing David Justice to the greatest hitter ever.

Reaction Score
No, I don't think pointing out that a borderline HoF pitcher being better than an ATG in the postseason is quite the same as comparing David Justice to the greatest hitter ever.
Do you just like arguing? Neither Schilling or Justice are hall of famers and they are both some of the best postseason players.

Kershaw and Bonds are on a whole different level than them despite not having the same kind of postseason success.

Reaction Score
Do you just like arguing? Neither Schilling or Justice are hall of famers and they are both some of the best postseason players.

Kershaw and Bonds are on a whole different level than them despite not having the same kind of postseason success.

Schilling is an arguable case for the HoF, Justice is not. Kershaw is an ATG but not likely to go down as the greatest pitcher ever. Bonds is the best hitter ever at his peak, and arguably the best positional player ever.

You made an obvious comparison that wasn't really necessary. My annoyance toward you is the fact that you decided to randomly take a more extreme example and compare that directly to Kershaw/Schilling, even though nobody had said Schilling was better overall than Kershaw. Pretty ironic you're asking me if I like to argue given the content of the totally unnecessary comparison you had made for the sake of being able to chime in and argue. Unsurprising given who it's coming from though, since that's your gimmick. Argue and try to be as big a as possible.

Reaction Score
Schilling is an arguable case for the HoF, Justice is not. Kershaw is an ATG but not likely to go down as the greatest pitcher ever. Bonds is the best hitter ever at his peak, and arguably the best positional player ever.

You made an obvious comparison that wasn't really necessary. My annoyance toward you is the fact that you decided to randomly take a more extreme example and compare that directly to Kershaw/Schilling, even though nobody had said Schilling was better overall than Kershaw. Pretty ironic you're asking me if I like to argue given the content of the totally unnecessary comparison you had made for the sake of being able to chime in and argue. Unsurprising given who it's coming from though, since that's your gimmick. Argue and try to be as big a as possible.
You didn't need a couple paragraphs to say you're a loser, the board has known for a longtime.

Reaction Score
Besides that, the Justice to Bonds comparison doesn't even work in the first place. Bonds was ridiculously dominant during the 2002 run and ran a career playoff OPS of .936

Don't let those facts get in the way of you getting your foot in the door to start an argument though.

Reaction Score
You didn't need a couple paragraphs to say you're a loser, the board has known for a longtime.

I'd expect nothing less coming from one of the most childish and insecure people on the board. Who hurt you?

Reaction Score
I'd expect nothing less coming from one of the most childish and insecure people on the board. Who hurt you?
Your posts hurt everyone on the board. I suggest the Friar and or Orange forum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom