OT: Woodstock -- 43 years ago this week | The Boneyard

OT: Woodstock -- 43 years ago this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was only 2 yrs old, but I'm still mad that my mom and dad for not driving out to New York from Iowa, putting me up on their shoulders, and snapping some pics with Jimi Hendrix in the background. Oh well! :p

On the flip side, I probably had an uneventful--possibly even 'groovy'--weekend indoors, out of the rain. Unlike these folks...

LINK to Life Magazine pictorial

woodstock-music-festival-06.jpg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I am the only person in my age range that wasn't there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't trust anyone over 30. Famous saying from 40 years ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was only 2 yrs old, but I'm still mad that my mom and dad for not driving out to New York from Iowa, putting me up on their shoulders, and snapping some pics with Jimi Hendrix in the background. Oh well! :p

On the flip side, I probably had an uneventful--possibly even 'groovy'--weekend indoors, out of the rain. Unlike these folks...

LINK to Life Magazine pictorial

woodstock-music-festival-06.jpg
But was Hendrix in your room playing lullabies?

Reaction Score
Nope - I wasn't there either. I was 17, so without transportation of my own. Not that I would have been brave enough at that point anyway.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Me either. But my college roommate went and almost didn't live to talk about it.

Reaction Score
Me either. I had just graduated high school, and a bunch of my classmates went. The idea of camping in a field held no appeal for me!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I would swear that many of the Boneyarders were there. It's obvious. With some of the comments that go around in here, I am sure people are smoking something ... or perhaps they did not heed the warning about the brown acid going around or they took the warning with "as many grains of salt as you wish."

Reaction Score
No, you aren't the only one. Working a summer job and taking a summer econ course filled all of my time, but a guy I worked with claimed to have gone up on Saturday after work, found a local about 20 miles away at a gas station while getting directions, and was guided via back roads to within a mile of the stage. He said he stayed until Sunday afternoon, and came out the same way. Not sure I ever believed it, but did know others that really did go.

Did go to Watkins Glen in '73. That was a zoo.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the most intersting Woodstock stories is Joni Mitchell. She turned down the gig because she was going to be on the Dick Cavitt show that Monday. She was there alright, but as a result of the spectacle, so were a bunch of others that played Woodstock. That decision probably cost her superstardom. I mean, Richie Havens still gets all the gigs he can handle.

Reaction Score
More, please...!

Not much to tell...he was in a band that Hendrix sponsored...they lived together with both sets of band members for 6 months. Before anything great could happen, Jimi died of an overdose. My brother-in-law stayed in California as a back drummer for Jefferson Airplane/Starship and wound up like many musicians doing studio work and eventually working as a lighting technician for movies like Ghostbusters. Still lives the Bohemian life in Venice Beach...

Reaction Score
One of the most intersting Woodstock stories is Joni Mitchell. She turned down the gig because she was going to be on the Dick Cavitt show that Monday. She was there alright, but as a result of the spectacle, so were a bunch of others that played Woodstock. That decision probably cost her superstardom. I mean, Richie Havens still gets all the gigs he can handle.

But she did write the song Woodstock featured on Deja Vu by CSN&Y

Reaction Score
We have a Woodstock yarn in my family.
My wife was very pregnant that August with our one and only baby girl.
We often took weekend rides to New York state and planned to "go to that concert" (Thinking we'd be able to just show up:) ) I don't remember if the weather or knowledge of the crowd kept us away but, of course, we've alays told my daughter she was ALMOST born at Woodstock.

Of course, this morning I called to wish her a "Happy Birthday!" - She got it - Her husband didn't - He just thinks I'm nuts. Her official birthday is October 10th but, we never allowed that to spoil a good story..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was stopped and turned away on the road about 10-20 miles from the festival by the police.

Reaction Score
OH wow, dude! Like 43 years ago? Far out! Groovey! Right on! Power to the people!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
One of the most intersting Woodstock stories is Joni Mitchell. She turned down the gig ......... That decision probably cost her superstardom. I mean, Richie Havens still gets all the gigs he can handle.

Joni had 8 gold and or platinum records in a row in the US. Sometimes I think pepple forget just how big she was.

She sold out halls and had a great rep for a live act with the great jazz musicians like Tom Scott on board. Mutchel and Steely Dan carried the flame for Jazz Rock with The Hissing of Summer Lawns and Aja.

Her best selling singles were covers by others--
Judy Collins Both Sides Now
The Neighborhood and Couting Crows Big Yellow Taxi
CSN Woodstock

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Joni had 8 gold and or platinum records in a row in the US. Sometimes I think pepple forget just how big she was. She sold out halls ...

Yup, but not arenas. I know just how big she was, not as big as she wanted.

I think of the Ramones. Now, everybody knows and loved the Ramones. But whenever they came to the Agora in W. Hartford, they played the small stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom