OT: Women's Team Gymnastics Final (spoiler alert) | The Boneyard

OT: Women's Team Gymnastics Final (spoiler alert)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
The women won team gold by a whopping five point margin over Russia. Romania third.

They led by over a point going into the final rotation with Russia in the floor exercises. Russia went first and stumbled while Gabby, Jordan and Aly all nailed their routines!!!

The Flying Five are Gold Medalists!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!!

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I can't wait to watch it again tonight. Loved seeing the Fab 5 waiting for the last score even though they knew that they would have gold. I do wish Jordan could compete in the all around comp. I hate the rule that only 2 from each country can compete. She had the 4th best qualifying score so she has to watch 20 girls that performed worse than her compete. Not fair at all. I am very happy with the team gold though.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Go USA !! Especially Gabby !!! (She is training in Iowa in the same gym as Shawn Johnson, not far from my brother's house :) )

A.K.A. "The Flying Squirrel" !!

images

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You just have to love Gabby with that light up a room smile of hers.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Jordan had the 4th or 5th highest score of all gymnast and can't compete for the Overall because of the stupid rule that only two gymnasts from each team can compete in the Overall Competition.

The Gymnastic Federation need to revise the rule and modify it as follows:

All Gymnast in the Top 8 or 10 automatically compete in the Overall Competition. Then take the next 14 to 16 gymnasts to make up the Top 24. If any team(s) has more then two gymnasts then add additional gymnasts from the next highest scoring gymnasts with the exception don't include any gymnasts from any team that already has more then two or more gymnasts competing for the overall. This enables all the Top gymnasts to compete for the Overall Gold Medal and still give some of the weaker teams an opportunity to compete for the Overall Gold Medal.

The federation won't implement the rule change, but they should and my proposal would still give the weaker teams an opportunity to compete. I'm sure they implemented the rule as they didn't want to see only gymnasts from USA, China, Russia and Romania competing for the Overall Championship.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, Jordan was 4th meaning 3 of the top 4 gymnasts were all American. Tough rules.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good day for women's gymnastics. Bummed for Jordan but happy for Ally.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Team USA was excellent this year, and the field was down from recent Olympics. Too bad because politics notwithstanding, I always enjoyed the Soviet teams, and the Unified Team in 1992 ( as well as some of the Russian teams after that).

I don't even follow gymnastics, but Tatiana Gutsu vs. Shannon Miller for the All-Around gold in 1992 is up there for me in terms of all-time sports competitions.

Reaction Score
Team USA was excellent this year, and the field was down from recent Olympics. Too bad because politics notwithstanding, I always enjoyed the Soviet teams, and the Unified Team in 1992 ( as well as some of the Russian teams after that).

I don't even follow gymnastics, but Tatiana Gutsu vs. Shannon Miller for the All-Around gold in 1992 is up there for me in terms of all-time sports competitions.

Gutsu didn't qalify for the AA originally. She was the 4th USSR qualifier. Another qualifier, Galiyeva, was "injured" and withdrew from the AA allowing Gutsu to replace her.

Reaction Score
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Go USA !! Especially Gabby !!! (She is training in Iowa in the same gym as Shawn Johnson, not far from my brother's house :) )

images

here's a video about Gabby and her talking about their journey training for Olympics made possible with the help of a family in Iowa.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I must say I'm intrigued by how the Russians do, especially Mustafina, in the all-around and individual events. A lot of potential in their routines. As is typical of the Russian tradition, a ton of grace and artistry. It's been said this team is very streaky/hot and cold. If any of them go on a hot streak, they could give the Americans problems. We'll have to see.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
here's a video about Gabby and her talking about their journey training for Olympics made possible with the help of a family in Iowa.

Great stuff, thanks for posting ! What a great life experience she has had through all of this.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gutsu didn't qalify for the AA originally. She was the 4th USSR qualifier. Another qualifier, Galiyeva, was "injured" and withdrew from the AA allowing Gutsu to replace her.
And thank God because she was amazing.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Does any1 know how the order of the events are selected for the team event.

I'm wondering since USA went into the finals 1st if they got to choose the vault as the lead off event. Russia was strongest on the uneven parallel bars, so they chose that as the 2nd event which happens to be the worse event for Team USA. Do they teams alternate picks or is there a set order of the events.

Reaction Score
Does any1 know how the order of the events are selected for the team event.

I'm wondering since USA went into the finals 1st if they got to choose the vault as the lead off event. Russia was strongest on the uneven parallel bars, so they chose that as the 2nd event which happens to be the worse event for Team USA. Do they teams alternate picks or is there a set order of the events.

That's the just the order. In the all-around individual event the top 6 will start on vault. It progresses both with team and individuals from vault through floor.

Reaction Score
All of those girls look like little assassins except Gabby...just too cute...but she probably has more steel than any of them!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

images
My brother lives outside Des Moines also. But I think on the east side.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just don't understand how Russia ended up with the Silver. They crashed and burned badly on the Beam and the Floor Exercise and still finished 2nd??? :confused:

Reaction Score
Just don't understand how Russia ended up with the Silver. They crashed and burned badly on the Beam and the Floor Exercise and still finished 2nd??? :confused:

We must've missed a lot of trauma out there...

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the final girl's score was on the floor exercise? I was waiting for them to show it, but winning the whole thing was more important than her score...:( They all did great...:cool:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That was what was disappointing to me. I think the American girls were excellent, but no one else even challenged.

FWIW, the Russians can challenge in the individual events. Whether they do is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom