OT: Wireless Router Advice? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wireless Router Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks. Too much of a problem for an amateur like me, but I will explore a professional way to make it happen. Actually, I live in FL, so 3000 square feet of my house is on the main floor, and we have a 500 square foot bonus room above the garage (no third floor). There is no concrete, other than the block walls up to and including only the first floor, but the floors are actually separated by a wood frame. Because we are having a second child, we would like to move my wife's office to the bonus room, so that means she needs the technology near her.
You can also look at a powerline solution. I use it for longer reach in my house.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Something like this is the most appealing solution for me, if it will work, thanks.
You wont get the throughput they claim - they are theoretical maximums. But with a good high end set you can easily get 100Mb which is probably 5 to 10 times faster than your Internet connection.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just looked at mine. It's a TrendNET AC1750 Dual Band (TEW-812DRU). It was highly rated and won a bunch of speed tests. Compared to my old one, it flies, but you need to be running an AC modem and network card.

Reaction Score
The step up model has external antenna so the reach is much better. If $100 isn't going to change your standard of living and you figure you'll have it for at least 4 years, you're spending $25/year for larger coverage and faster more consistent throughput near the edges of coverage. For me, it's a no brainer (I'm actually waiting for their next model to come out in a couple months - but that one will be well over $200). I don't know your particulars so I can't say whether it's worth it or not for you.

I don't expect to get it, but you are right, I don't need it that fast. If you have an iPad or an iPhone, do they work well in the extended network?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I don't expect to get it, but you are right, I don't need it that fast. If you have an iPad or an iPhone, do they work well in the extended network?
The thing with wireless is no matter the speed for the particular setup (N, AC, bonded channels, etc) it falls off pretty dramatically the further away you get from the router. So even though a given solution might be rated at 54Mb/sec - 25 feet from the router, that's probably dropped to 13Mb. That's why range is so important - the better the range, the better the speed at 25 or 40 feet. While you may not need 600Mb, if you're 50 feet from the router, that same setup might give you 50Mb or less. You aren't really buying speed - you're buying speed at a distance. For me, range is the most important feature as I might want to take a tablet out back or something like that. To answer your question an iThing or an anything will work better in extended network with better range.

Reaction Score
JLeves, I decided to splurge on the ASUS. Thanks so much to you and everyone else for their help.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
JLeves, I decided to splurge on the ASUS. Thanks so much to you and everyone else for their help.
Let me know how it works as I'm looking to buy this when it comes out: RT-AC87U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits