OT: Wireless Router Advice? | The Boneyard

OT: Wireless Router Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have an ancient Netgear router that I have to reset no joke 7-10 times a day so I can use the internet. I have had this router since 2006 or so so it has definitely served me pretty well. Can anyone give me a rec on a new router? I am a simple "internetter"; no games, no major HD movie viewing. Just surfing, youtubing, etc. There would be two laptops, an ipad, and two smart phones (yeah!) running off of it and a rarely used XBox live account hooked into it as well. I'm not looking to spend too much and I am totally overwhelmed with the myriad of options. Just want something that is reliable, will give coverage for my condo, and will give me what I need.

Any thoughts?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I have an ancient Netgear router that I have to reset no joke 7-10 times a day so I can use the internet. I have had this router since 2006 or so so it has definitely served me pretty well. Can anyone give me a rec on a new router? I am a simple "internetter"; no games, no major HD movie viewing. Just surfing, youtubing, etc. There would be two laptops, an ipad, and two smart phones (yeah!) running off of it and a rarely used XBox live account hooked into it as well. I'm not looking to spend too much and I am totally overwhelmed with the myriad of options. Just want something that is reliable, will give coverage for my condo, and will give me what I need.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for putting one into my wheelhouse. First question - do you have any newer devices or will you be getting any newer devices in the next 2 years or so that have wireless AC? Do you have any devices or will you get any devices that can use a 5GHz spectrum? Do you live in a crowded environment (condo, apartment, close together houses) or in a stand alone house with not much more around? Do you have a lot of other wireless devices that aren't connected to the data network (cordless phones, wireless speakers, weather stations, etc.)? How far away is the greatest distance you need to access wireless service (back yard, upstairs, basement)? Do you have wired things connected to the router? If so, do they have 100Mb or 1Gb ability? Do you want to share a printer or USB drive on the router so all attached devices can user them? If so, are they USB2 or USB3?

Some of these are easy answers and for the tougher ones, if you don't know, that answer will suffice. For the first two questions you can boil it down to do you have really new stuff (within the last year) or do you plan to get new stuff soon (they'll be more likely to have AC and 5GHz)?

Reaction Score
This is what I have.

ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab

It is future proof for the most part. Supports gigabit connection and that is not mainstream yet.

Reaction Score
JLeves, I'll try to answer the best that I can...

I am in a condo and both my wife and I have or will be getting brand new smart phones in the near future. We only have the two laptops, ipad, XBox, and cell phones running off the wireless network. I do have a wifi enabled Blu-Ray that I would like to use w/ the network that I have never connected due to my present router sucking. The only wired device into the router is the XBox Live. We have a Bose Wireless speaker system and a wireless printer running but not connected to the network. As for range, I'd like backyard, upstairs, and downstairs. It's not a super large space; your typical three level condo (finished basement.) I envision getting new laptops in the next 2-3 years.

Hopefully that helps. A lot of the tech stuff you wrote about is beyond my scope of understanding.

Thanks much!

Reaction Score
Do you have a cable modem? If so, I would start by upgrading that to a Motorola Surfboard modem/router combo. A lot of people have an older cable modem that just can't handle the speed you need for all of these devices.

Reaction Score
Do you have a cable modem? If so, I would start by upgrading that to a Motorola Surfboard modem/router combo. A lot of people have an older cable modem that just can't handle the speed you need for all of these devices.

I do have a cable modem that was provided by Comcast. To my knowledge the modem is not the issue; it is the router that is constantly needing to be reset in order to reconnect. In the last two hours I've had to reset/plug/unplug the router 3 times and it's getting worse and worse. Supposedly I have Comcast's "superfast" internet due to them screwing me over and comping me but I've never been able to tell the difference. I assume in part it is due to the router being from 2005.

Reaction Score
Overkill but I bought an Apple Time Capsule which functions as a backup drive and router. Have never had an issue. I was resetting my UVerse router multiple times a week before that. I plugged the Time Capsule into it and everything runs though that.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
I do have a cable modem that was provided by Comcast. To my knowledge the modem is not the issue; it is the router that is constantly needing to be reset in order to reconnect. In the last two hours I've had to reset/plug/unplug the router 3 times and it's getting worse and worse. Supposedly I have Comcast's "superfast" internet due to them screwing me over and comping me but I've never been able to tell the difference. I assume in part it is due to the router being from 2005.

I'd personally go with either the R2D2 or the Johnny5. But it depends on if you and your wife file a joint tax return or if you file separately. And if you both use the same dentist, but that goes without saying.

If all else fails, sell the condo and move into the back of a Starbucks.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I used DSL with an older crappy Belkin, it was lagging and crapping all over the place once my kids started using the wireless with xbox etc. Upgrading to xfinity cable didn't solve the problem until I bought a better router. Mine's a midlevel Cisco that works flawlessly and was easy to set up, I just checked cnet reviews for best routers at different price points/needs.

Reaction Score
Netgear has a combination modem and router. Have no idea how good it is.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I used the Belkin N150 til I upgraded to the X1 Tower with Comcast

Reaction Score
I used DSL with an older crappy Belkin, it was lagging and crapping all over the place once my kids started using the wireless with xbox etc. Upgrading to xfinity cable didn't solve the problem until I bought a better router. Mine's a midlevel Cisco that works flawlessly and was easy to set up, I just checked cnet reviews for best routers at different price points/needs.

I've checked all the different review places and one site's trash is another's treasure. Then Amazon's #1 is ripped apart on different site's b/c of reasoning that I don't understand. Was hoping someone here could just say, "Get the _____ as it will give you what you need."

Reaction Score
Cisco sells great routers. Their consumer brand Linksys has never failed me. No doubt that I would go for a mid-range Linksys router. I've had the WRT54G router for years and I even changed the firmware using the open source DD-WRT project to allow me to boost its signal (over FCC limits! XD) all over my sister's two floor home

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you use a cable modem, they now sell combination modem/routers. Otherwise any highly rated modem will do.

I recently bought an new laptop and switched to the 8.11 A/C protocol. It's not common yet but is the next level above 8.11n.

Your wifi speed will be limited to the slowest part of your network. (Provider, modem, router, ethernet card). So if you have an older computer, upgrading the router won't do much, same if your modem is older.

If you are just buying a router, 8.11n is the minimum I would go assuming your.network can handle it. My old laptop/router was running 8.11b, so the upgrade was necessary for me.

For reviews, I start with Cnet.com

Reaction Score
Router selection was something for which Google was useless to me because of my home's floorplan. I guess you just don't know unless you have seen a router function. Does anyone use any of the routers mentioned above across three floors, and have good (or acceptable) performance across three floors?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Router selection was something for which Google was useless to me because of my home's floorplan. I guess you just don't know unless you have seen a router function. Does anyone use any of the routers mentioned above across three floors, and have good (or acceptable) performance across three floors?
Trying to cover three floors is going to be difficult because of the effective radiated power limitations on the antennas and transmitters. If you are trying to through preformed concrete slabs or other dense material it's going to be impossible. Likewise a maze of pipes (underfloor heating, first level plumbing, air ducts) is going to present substantial obstacles.
You are probably better of going with an in-home network of Access Points connected to the main router with wired (Ethernet connections). An Access Point differs from the standard router in that it does not assign address (NAT) nor does it "route" traffic. It is more like an extension cord from the outlet. Most routers have 4 Ethernet ports on the rear, so you would just need to run cables from the floors down to your router Point of Presence. Set the AP's and router to non-overlapping channels (1 - 6 -11) and you are pretty much assured of good wireless coverage.
If that's too much of a problem then my only advice is to stay away from N band (5.7 Ghz) as it does not have good penetration through gypsum etc.. You could try wireless repeaters, their antennas are usually better than the laptop, but again, crossing floor is asking a lot from the technology.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Too much of a problem for an amateur like me, but I will explore a professional way to make it happen. Actually, I live in FL, so 3000 square feet of my house is on the main floor, and we have a 500 square foot bonus room above the garage (no third floor). There is no concrete, other than the block walls up to and including only the first floor, but the floors are actually separated by a wood frame. Because we are having a second child, we would like to move my wife's office to the bonus room, so that means she needs the technology near her.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I hate the idea of a cable modem with built in wifi. Any current cable modem with DOCSIS 3.0 will be good for a decade. Wireless will be something you may want to upgrade ever 3 to 5 years. Don't combine them.

For my money, I think ASUS makes the best wireless routers right now. With the new stuff you have, you'll have both 5GHz and AC wireless and that will make a big difference in a condo environment.

You can find the Asus RT-AC52U for about $70 online. You can step up to an Asus RT-AC66U (or RT-AC66R) which will give better range, but it costs about $100 more.

You should be good to go with the AC52U.

Reaction Score
If you are using Mac's for your laptops the Apple Routers are the way to go.

I have an old airport extreme in my bedroom as the main router and a airport express (linking and stretching the network) in my living room. Both are very easily configured with airport utility.

Between the two of those I have: At least 20 devices hooked into it(depending on who is home / over at our place) at one time, an huge external drive for a shared network, printer, and audio receiver. And it still is lightening fast and seems to be everywhere, to the point where I have to turn off my wifi on the way out of my apartment because the signal follows me around the corner.

Reaction Score
I hate the idea of a cable modem with built in wifi. Any current cable modem with DOCSIS 3.0 will be good for a decade. Wireless will be something you may want to upgrade ever 3 to 5 years. Don't combine them.

For my money, I think ASUS makes the best wireless routers right now. With the new stuff you have, you'll have both 5GHz and AC wireless and that will make a big difference in a condo environment.

You can find the Asus RT-AC52U for about $70 online. You can step up to an Asus RT-AC66U (or RT-AC66R) which will give better range, but it costs about $100 more.

You should be good to go with the AC52U.

I'm an ASUS fan so I like the sound of that. Is the "step up" worth it? Thanks much everyone!

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Thanks. Too much of a problem for an amateur like me, but I will explore a professional way to make it happen. Actually, I live in FL, so 3000 square feet of my house is on the main floor, and we have a 500 square foot bonus room above the garage (no third floor). There is no concrete, other than the block walls up to and including only the first floor, but the floors are actually separated by a wood frame. Because we are having a second child, we would like to move my wife's office to the bonus room, so that means she needs the technology near her.
It is a trivial thing to thread Ethernet cable through a house. Since it is "signal" you do not need an electrician or permits. By doing so, you can have wired access in her office, which is much preferred to relying on wireless from both security and technology standpoint.

Reaction Score
It is a trivial thing to thread Ethernet cable through a house. Since it is "signal" you do not need an electrician or permits. By doing so, you can have wired access in her office, which is much preferred to relying on wireless from both security and technology standpoint.

I have been thinking about how to run the ethernet cable to the upstairs, and it probably would not be too hard if I access the walls through unused phone line plates in and between the two rooms.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm an ASUS fan so I like the sound of that. Is the "step up" worth it? Thanks much everyone!
The step up model has external antenna so the reach is much better. If $100 isn't going to change your standard of living and you figure you'll have it for at least 4 years, you're spending $25/year for larger coverage and faster more consistent throughput near the edges of coverage. For me, it's a no brainer (I'm actually waiting for their next model to come out in a couple months - but that one will be well over $200). I don't know your particulars so I can't say whether it's worth it or not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom