OT--wiffle ball birthday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT--wiffle ball birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Playing wiffle ball in the backyard or driveway is where my after school or summer would be spent. Played 1v1 with brother.

Driveway rules.
Pickup a grounder before it gets past is an out. If it makes its way to the garage is a single. Pop fly with a man on 1st is a double play. Ball hit in air that his garage doors is a double. Ball hit on roof of garage that doesn't go over is a triple. Anything over it a home run. Played 7 innings with ghost men. Also played with monkey ball.

Memories! !!
Monkey Ball-BOOM! Ha....good stuff.

Reaction Score
I grew up in the 80's and I clearly remember each of my friends and I had a specific sound that was our cue to get home for dinner or the night. My mom would ring a big bell hanging by our garage, my buddy had a whistle his parents would blow, another had his dad just yell his name and you could hear it from anywhere, and another had an air horn as his cue. I just remember playing any thing until it was almost so dark you could barely see. Specifically remember playing whiffle ball until you could no longer see the ball. At times, some bats would come out and if you tossed that white ball up, the bats would chase it back down. Really yearn for days like that when kids felt safe enough to be out on their own and parents were able to trust that their kids would be safe.

This is a great thread!
Awesome. Shared experiences for sure!

Reaction Score
In my mind, all of these stories take place in the evening on very cool fall nights. Nothing like Nerf football, whiffle ball or hoops on school nights in September or October. We weren't totally sick of school yet but we couldn't quite let go of summer. The best time of year in New England.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
@uconn13 mentioned baseball cards...

There were two card games on the school playground with cards. Topsies, where players tossed cards until a tossed card landed on another card and thus winning all the cards. "Ohhhh...Mickey Klutts again"!

I forget the name of the second game. Three cards are leaned against a wall. Whoever knocked down the third card by wingin' cards at it wins the cards. "Yes! Cliff Johnson!"

Reaction Score
31oUZDNeE7L._SS500_.jpg

I had one of these and would only let people on my team hit with it. It was a George Brett model FunBall bat and I used it for wiffle ball. The ball jumped off it. Total game changer in the neighborhood!

Reaction Score
31oUZDNeE7L._SS500_.jpg

I had one of these and would only let people on my team hit with it. It was a George Brett model FunBall bat and I used it for wiffle ball. The ball jumped off it. Total game changer in the neighborhood!

That bat is like doing steroids in wiffle ball - should be illegal Deep c'mon! ;)

Reaction Score
OMG I missed that thanks jleves - not at all.

C'mon Deep I thought of you as a traditionalist.

Reaction Score
We also played non-stop throughout the summer in the 70's… Hated when we ran out & had to use a cracked wiffle ball. Always tried different repair techniques (glue, tape, etc.) but nothing really worked.

We had a field set-up in my cousins backyard & over time we had established a ground-rule for anything that could possibly occur. The base paths were permanently worn & no grass would ever grow there. Everything was run out, anything off the house or foul was an automatic out (caused you to hit the ball up the middle). In the tree was a live ball & if you caught it, it was an out. Had a perfectly distanced fence that could only be cleared with a perfectly struck ball. We used old worn out gloves that helped you rob HR's by jumping high over the fence to snag a long fly.

The only thing that caused us to stop playing was when the Met's were playing a day game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom