(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ?

Reaction Score
Received my 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday afternoon at VA in Orange. As of this morning just the typical upper arm soreness.

Reaction Score
I live in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. I had Pfizer 1 and 2 with no reaction. The hardest part was waiting in the car line. First one was 2.5 hours; second one was better- only 1 hour.

Reaction Score
Received my 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday afternoon at VA in Orange. As of this morning just the typical upper arm soreness.
I need to update this, during the day, I started feeling lethargic with additional soreness. As the day progressed took temp of 101.4, decided to go to bed at 6:30pm to sleep it off. This morning temp at 99.3 and feeling much better.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I live in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. I had Pfizer 1 and 2 with no reaction. The hardest part was waiting in the car line. First one was 2.5 hours; second one was better- only 1 hour.

That seems to be the case in the larger urban areas of Florida. We have friends who received their shots in Orlando. Long wait times of at least and hour.

We stayed closer to home. We're in Poncianna. More rural. Our church was a POD and our total time in and out was 25 minutes. Our 55+ community, also in Poncianna, has a population of approximately 10,000. We ran a POD with major assistance from Polk County Fire & Rescue and the Florida National Guard. Total time in and out was about 30 minutes. We vaccinated 2,700+ residents.

Reaction Score
OK - so I have been a bit of a scare merchant, but the fact remains the 5% of the vaccinated people are in effect 'unprotected' so are as likely to get the virus as unvaccinated people. The important point is pretending a vaccine makes you immune and also makes you a safe companion for unvaccinated people is a dangerous position to take, as that very good video psconn posted clearly states.

I am over the moon that my second dose is 8 days away, and that the vaccine process is moving into high gear around the country. This is actually the easy phase of vaccination as the number of people wanting to be vaccinated outstrips both supply and personnel/infrastructure to administer. My only concern for the US is there is too large a population that is reluctant to be vaccinated and sometime the vaccination process will again slow to a crawl.

It depends on how you define "unprotected". That 5% still has protection against death and serious cases of covid according to the test results.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It depends on how you define "unprotected". That 5% still has protection against death and serious cases of covid according to the test results.
The J&J vaccine did the most thorough testing around the world against multiple strains of the virus, and the detailed testing results for their single dose vaccine is as follows:

• 66% effective against contracting the virus
  • 85% effective against severe cases of the virus
  • 100% effective against death & hospitalization

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
My daughter after the second Moderna jab felt miserable for over a day. But my 90+ year-old in-laws had no reaction to their second doses, presumably on account of their Germanic stubbornness. ☹️

I get my second shot tomorrow. My first one resulted in a sore arm that lasted three days which is unusual for me compared to other vaccinations I’ve received.
So glad so many of you are getting these

Reaction Score
I got my first Moderna vaccine shot at my local pharmacy where I get my meds (a Wegmans grocery store). Normal sore arm late that night and next morning. Nothing to write home about. I am scheduled to get my second shot next Monday (Mar 8) and from what friends have told me it is more likely to kick you a bit more. Don't care. I want to be as safe as is currently possible. I'm too old to spend all my time as a recluse. My son gets his second tomorrow. He gets the Pfizer. Had no issues on his first and his wife didn't either. All 3 of us got ours near Rochester, NY.

Reaction Score
The J&J vaccine did the most thorough testing around the world against multiple strains of the virus, and the detailed testing results for their single dose vaccine is as follows:

• 66% effective against contracting the virus
  • 85% effective against severe cases of the virus
  • 100% effective against death & hospitalization

It should also be noted that recent data shows it is 95% effective 56 days after the injection.

Also note that the 66% figure includes a lot of South African data. it is 72% in the U.S. (after 28 days). But 95% after 56 days.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This morning I got my first Moderna shot at the County Health Department here in NC. I arrived at 9:25AM for my 9:30 appointment, took 5 minutes to do the required paperwork and was walking out at 9:48 after the required 15 minute observation period. And my 2nd shot is scheduled for 4 weeks later, same time, same place.
So far, nothing to complain about.
In early February, I had scheduled my appointment as soon as I was notified by my PCP's health group that Group 2 vaccines were available. I made an appointment for the Pfizer shots for May 6th! :eek: I also signed up with the County Health Department. Then last evening the County called and my first Moderna shot will be Monday morning with the second shot already scheduled for 3 weeks later.
My story continues...Monday morning I got my first Moderna shot and an appointment for my second shot four weeks later. I was trying to decide what to do about my May appointment that was made through Novant Health. Yesterday I got an email from Novant saying that appointments are available this week for patients that had appointments scheduled in April and May. I checked the schedule and there were plenty of times to choose from this week. I then canceled my May appointment. Then I immediately got an email with the cancelation confirmation...followed by an email informing me that I need to go online and schedule my vaccination. Ah, the wonders of software...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It should also be noted that recent data shows it is 95% effective 56 days after the injection.

Also note that the 66% figure includes a lot of South African data. it is 72% in the U.S. (after 28 days). But 95% after 56 days.
Agreed. My post was intended to support your original post indicating that 95% effectiveness doesn’t mean that the remaining 5% do not gain some level of protection from the vaccine.

Reaction Score
Pfizer #1 yesterday. Zero reaction and no arm soreness. Hope #2 already scheduled for 3/23 goes as well. In and out in about 45 minutes (with prior online registration) including 15 minute "observation" period at an Albertsons Supermarket pharmacy in St. George, UT. This superseded a later March appointment I had made on a State of UT site which I cancelled upon securing yesterday's procedure. UT surprisingly lowered the current age group eligibility last week rather than waiting on the originally scheduled 3/1 date and I jumped right on it.

Reaction Score

95% efficacy after 56 days? I have not seen this data. It's certainly not in the FDA documentation. Do you have a reference for your statement?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Got my first jab today at county vaccination event. They had five hundred doses for today. All went smoothly. Lots of volunteers plus public health employees were attentive to the needs of some older folks and moved us all along. Today was a Moderna day. So far no adverse reactions. The jabbers told us not to pay attention to all the bogus warnings out there. Promised I would not grow a third eye or turn into a lion. I was reassured about the eye thing, but a bit wistful about the lion thing! A Minever Cheevy sort of sentiment I guess.

Reaction Score
I am so FRUSTATED with Connecticut’s scheduling system. I live in eastern CT. The only appointment I can find is August 31st in Hartford. You’ve got to be kidding me. You pick a clinic, click on the link and it says you have to use VAMS. You go to VAMS, and that clinic isn’t even listed. The state has got to be able to do a better job than this.

Reaction Score
95% efficacy after 56 days? I have not seen this data. It's certainly not in the FDA documentation. Do you have a reference for your statement?

. .
I have seen it several places. Here is a post from a Harvard professor who is an Infectious disease epidemiologist:

Also here is an NBC News article with similar information: Here’s what to know about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine It mentions that "the Johnson & Johnson vaccine’s effectiveness against severe disease was found to increase over time — to more than 90 percent within a month and a half after vaccination." It also talks about how it has prevented all serious cases.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am so FRUSTATED with Connecticut’s scheduling system. I live in eastern CT. The only appointment I can find is August 31st in Hartford. You’ve got to be kidding me. You pick a clinic, click on the link and it says you have to use VAMS. You go to VAMS, and that clinic isn’t even listed. The state has got to be able to do a better job than this.
I used the VAMS in CT and found that the availability sites were constantly being updated as they got commitments on new vaccine shipments. I also needed to adjust the 'distance to clinic' on the site to 'Up to 50 miles' to get access to a group of sites beyond the little community sites that were only open maybe a day per week.

After I got the first shot they told me to wait 24 hours before looking to schedule the second, but a few hours later I got my email telling me to schedule the second so I went on line and found zero sites with my vaccine available before May (which was beyond the out range for second shots.) About four hours later, a different clinic had a date mid March and I grabbed it, then checked the next morning (had to cancel my appointment first) and found a whole bunch of times opened up for my first clinic on the 22nd day after my first shot.

It appears the little local sites (Town Hall in Storrs for example) get very little supply and on very few days. The hospitals do better and the site at Pratt & Whitney gets the most.) I went to P&W which is the Pfizer.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I used the VAMS in CT and found that the availability sites were constantly being updated as they got commitments on new vaccine shipments. I also needed to adjust the 'distance to clinic' on the site to 'Up to 50 miles' to get access to a group of sites beyond the little community sites that were only open maybe a day per week.

After I got the first shot they told me to wait 24 hours before looking to schedule the second, but a few hours later I got my email telling me to schedule the second so I went on line and found zero sites with my vaccine available before May (which was beyond the out range for second shots.) About four hours later, a different clinic had a date mid March and I grabbed it, then checked the next morning (had to cancel my appointment first) and found a whole bunch of times opened up for my first clinic on the 22nd day after my first shot.

It appears the little local sites (Town Hall in Storrs for example) get very little supply and on very few days. The hospitals do better and the site at Pratt & Whitney gets the most.) I went to P&W which is the Pfizer.
Wow, things are different in NC. I made 2 first shot appointments, one I made in February that resulted in a May appointment and I submitted my info to my county Health Department a couple of weeks ago. The county called me last Friday evening and scheduled me for 9:30 Monday morning.
For both appointments, the 2nd shot was scheduled by the provider...3 weeks after the May appointment and 4 weeks after I got my shot this past Monday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just go to the CVS website and get an appointment in days.

Reaction Score
. .
I have seen it several places. Here is a post from a Harvard professor who is an Infectious disease epidemiologist:

Also here is an NBC News article with similar information: Here’s what to know about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine It mentions that "the Johnson & Johnson vaccine’s effectiveness against severe disease was found to increase over time — to more than 90 percent within a month and a half after vaccination." It also talks about how it has prevented all serious cases.

That figure is from the Jansan/J&J slide presentation to the FDA.

https://www.fda.gov/media/146265/download

It indicates the occurrence of severe disease which is defined as:

Case Definition for Severe/Critical COVID-19

Positive PCV Test plus:

≥ 1 of these signs or symptoms

Clinical signs indicative of severe systemic illness: Respiratory rate ≥ 30 bpm,
heart rate ≥ 125 bpm, SpO2 ≤ 93% on room air at sea level or PaO2/FiO2 < 300 mmHg
Respiratory failure: Needing high-flow oxygen, non-invasive ventilation, mechanical
ventilation, or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation [ECMO]
Evidence of shock: Systolic blood pressure < 90 mmHg, diastolic blood pressure
< 60 mmHg, or requiring vasopressors
Significant acute renal, hepatic, or neurologic dysfunction

It does not include data from mild or moderate infections.

While it may suggest to people unfamiliar with interpreting this kind of data that protection is >90% and continues to increase with time, you can't conclude that.

If you look at the cumulative incidence data on pg 37 of the report you will see that the number of people included at the later dates is very low. Hence the large confidence interval.

It is a good vaccine that demonstrated 100% protection from hospitalization and death after day 28 in the trials. But it is not as effective in protecting against mild to moderate COVID-19 as the mRNA vaccines.

They are testing the efficacy of a 2 dose regime now. It is likely that a second dose with a variant viral sequence will be available by winter. This will be the case for the mRNA vaccines as well.

I would not hesitate getting the J&J vaccine now if it is available.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I got the second Pfizer vaccine yesterday at a site in East Hartford near Rentschler Field.

The first one was also there on February 11.

We called the 877 number very soon after they started taking those in the 65-74 age group, so we were able to get in fairly early.

The operation in East Hartford is very efficient. Outdoors, loads of National Guard members there to help, probably only need about half the number they have. We got in and out very quickly. Lots of car lanes and you stay in the car the whole time.

I am feeling better now but for yesterday and most of today I have been sluggish, achy and tired. Feels similar to a 24 hour bug. My arm is sore from the shot but not terribly so. My arm was a bit sore also after the first one but that was it.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Wow, things are different in NC. I made 2 first shot appointments, one I made in February that resulted in a May appointment and I submitted my info to my county Health Department a couple of weeks ago. The county called me last Friday evening and scheduled me for 9:30 Monday morning.
For both appointments, the 2nd shot was scheduled by the provider...3 weeks after the May appointment and 4 weeks after I got my shot this past Monday.
The lead time for me in the 65+ group and my wife in the 55+ group in CT was a little over 2 weeks both times. I feel I could have done better if I kept at it but we both are able to work from home so we are not as urgent as those who must go out and interact with people all day. It's a long way from ideal but I was very happy with the scheduling and follow-through, all things considered. When my appointment came up I entered the facility 20 minutes early expecting a line and some confusion... 7 minutes later had the needle in my arm. Very smooth. Thanks Middlesex Healthcare!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom