(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ?

Reaction Score
I received two Moderna vaccinations. The 1st one I had a little injection site soreness. Twenty-eight days later I received the second shot. About 24 hours after that injection I felt pretty lousy for 12 hours - headache, tired, achy, chills and I felt nauseous. I slept from noon to 8pm. Felt fine except for a tiny bit of injection site soreness the next day.

Reaction Score
Moderna first shot OK second shot no real side effects except really sore arm my wife has kidney disease and since our doctor said she should get one I figured I probably should too

Reaction Score
My first Moderna dose (down here in Dallas) was on Thursday. Really minor arm soreness, but that was about it.

My wife had her second Moderna vaccine (she is a PT who works in Pediatrics and needed the shot earlier) and she experienced minor stiffness. Generally, no real meaningful reaction.

Reaction Score
Pfizer shot, both doses done (public school teacher) with no negative effects from shot one. No sore arm after shot two (I stretched it a lot) but thirty hours after the shot I had a headaches, chills and a heavy tired feeling. Twenty four hours later chills were gone but super tired for a couple days.
My husband (firefighter) had a sore arm for shot two and that’s it.

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's that fresh salt air coming off OOB. Is the pier still up and is the French Fry stand still there?
Yes, pier still there, offering chocolate-covered bacon!! Pier Fries usually mobbed, but I don't see what's so remarkable about them, Dead at this time of year (good for concentrating on UConn) and waiting for all the Canadians to arrive.

Reaction Score
Yes, pier still there, offering chocolate-covered bacon!! Pier Fries usually mobbed, but I don't see what's so remarkable about them, Dead at this time of year (good for concentrating on UConn) and waiting for all the Canadians to arrive.
Well worth making the 2800 mile drive for!

Reaction Score
AGE 58
two Moderna shots (January 22, February 26)
First dose - very sore arm, body/joints aches, had hard time walking, moving my body
Second dose - started feeling tired about 8 hours after receiving it, slept over 11 hours(!!!!), fever, lost of appetite,
body aches, sore arm(less sore than first time), extreme headache.
I was advise not to take Tylenol or Advil, just drink fluids.
This morning still feeling lousy.

BTW, the worst "side effect" - I wasn't able to pay attention to the game and will have to re-watch it today

Reaction Score
My very young son (25) had similar but less intense side effect after both doses of Moderna

Reaction Score
My wife and I have had both shots (Pfizer). Very minor arm soreness for day or two after shot. No other symptoms. They requested we have 2nd shot in alternate arm from 1st shot, which we did. The whole process was quick and easy in the North Carolina facility we used.

Reaction Score
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the side effects of the vaccines if you already had COVID. They tend to be worse. In some cases a lot worse. I know of 2 people with previous COVID that had a bad reaction to the first shot and a really bad reaction to the second. Like having to stay in bed for 4 days.

It was reported in the clinical trials that people who had previously tested positive tended to have more reactivity, but it is still recommended that they get both shots. Recent reports have noted that antibody levels increase as much as 1000-fold after the first shot. This is far greater than what is typically seen after the second shot in people who have not been exposed to the virus. While the CDC still recommends getting vaccinated as soon as you recover from COVID, several good places with a lot of patient experience like the Mayo Clinic are recommending that people wait at least 90 days after symptoms are gone before getting the vaccine. This lets the immune system settle down and antibody levels are typically dropping by then. Since a lot of people have had COVID without being tested, it is likely that they may be the source of some of the more severe side effects that are being reported.

It is likely that a single shot will be recommended in the future for people who have been diagnosed with COVID.

Reaction Score
First Moderna shot:
  • day of: new symptoms aside from being sore
  • day after: Didn't sleep much after 3 AM, feeling like a bad hangover, arm even more sore
  • 2nd day after: fever spiking at 100.4, flu-like symptoms
  • 3rd day after: starting to feel normal, the best feeling "side effect day" of the time
  • 4th day after: 100%
Second Moderna shot:
  • day of: just slight arm pain, much less than before
  • day after: was up at 3 AM again, almost no arm pain, less aches and headache but a higher fever (101). More lucid than the first dose too. Started to feel more like myself after 8 PM.
  • 2nd day after (today): feeling pretty normal, no fever, just a little cloudy and slightly achy. Going for a walk was tough, but just finished my normal Sunday workout.
I'm 34, so I've heard Moderna side effects tend to be worse the younger you are. The first dose side effects have been a surprise to my doctor: mathematically a decent chance I was exposed to the virus despite never getting a positive test.

My wife got both Pfizer shots and had no side effects at all aside from arm pain.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have read that blood type seems to correlate with degree of side effects. I believe Type O has, on average, fewest/least severe side effects, and Type AB the most. My family is all Type O and across the board, almost no side effects to the second shots of both Pfizer and Moderna. Other family friends with Type A blood seemed to fair worse (but still be absolutely fine after a day).

I purchased a blood-type test from Amazon recently and will perform it with the help of my nursing student granddaughter. I couldn't remember my type and thought it was something I should know.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm glad to hear that my friends here are making progress. If I liked your post, I wasn't liking the fact that you got sick from the vaccine (that was a little awkward). I was liking the fact that you got it and were now ok--and protected.

I pre-registered on the Alexandria Health Dept. website in mid-January as part of the 65-75 group. About 4 weeks later, I was contacted and allowed to schedule at a local clinic. I got the first dose of Pfizer on Tuesday, February 23.

The reaction may be in the "TMI" category, so I apologize in advance. My upper arm was slightly but noticeably sore for about 24 hours. It wasn't painful at all, but a little more sore than I get from the regular flu or pneumonia shot. But no big deal at all.

I was feeling good throughout the day, as if I had accomplished something positive. About 11 hours after getting the shot, that changed. I started to feel a little nauseous at about 11:30 PM. Within 30 minutes, my digestive system was empty following a thorough involuntary cleansing. For anyone who has done a colonoscopy prep, it was similar to that, but at both ends. I went online to check out the possible reactions. Some sites listed nausea as a possibility. Harvard listed nausea and vomiting. Yale listed nausea, diarrhea, OR vomiting. Yale nailed it for me, replacing OR with AND.

I hope the reaction to the 2nd Pfizer shot, which is stronger for many people than the 1st, isn't any worse. I have the 2nd dose scheduled for St. Patrick's Day. I won't be doing any drinking that day, but I still may be worshipping the porcelain convenience. :confused:

Here's the good news: my son and his family are now living in Houston, and my granddaughter has a birthday in early April. I'm considering a road trip (by car or plane) to Texas. Rumor has it that there are some basketball games of interest in Texas in March/April. Hmmmmm. :)

Stay safe, everyone!

Reaction Score
First Moderna shot:
  • day of: new symptoms aside from being sore
  • day after: Didn't sleep much after 3 AM, feeling like a bad hangover, arm even more sore
  • 2nd day after: fever spiking at 100.4, flu-like symptoms
  • 3rd day after: starting to feel normal, the best feeling "side effect day" of the time
  • 4th day after: 100%
Second Moderna shot:
  • day of: just slight arm pain, much less than before
  • day after: was up at 3 AM again, almost no arm pain, less aches and headache but a higher fever (101). More lucid than the first dose too. Started to feel more like myself after 8 PM.
  • 2nd day after (today): feeling pretty normal, no fever, just a little cloudy and slightly achy. Going for a walk was tough, but just finished my normal Sunday workout.
I'm 34, so I've heard Moderna side effects tend to be worse the younger you are. The first dose side effects have been a surprise to my doctor: mathematically a decent chance I was exposed to the virus despite never getting a positive test.

My wife got both Pfizer shots and had no side effects at all aside from arm pain.
How did u get shots at your age? Are you or your wife at a higher risk or job related? Maybe you know someone who hooked you up. I don’t care lots of peeps getting in line due to their personal network. Ah, never mind.

Reaction Score
I'm glad to hear that my friends here are making progress. If I liked your post, I wasn't liking the fact that you got sick from the vaccine (that was a little awkward). I was liking the fact that you got it and were now ok--and protected.

I pre-registered on the Alexandria Health Dept. website in mid-January as part of the 65-75 group. About 4 weeks later, I was contacted and allowed to schedule at a local clinic. I got the first dose of Pfizer on Tuesday, February 23.

The reaction may be in the "TMI" category, so I apologize in advance. My upper arm was slightly but noticeably sore for about 24 hours. It wasn't painful at all, but a little more sore than I get from the regular flu or pneumonia shot. But no big deal at all.

I was feeling good throughout the day, as if I had accomplished something positive. About 11 hours after getting the shot, that changed. I started to feel a little nauseous at about 11:30 PM. Within 30 minutes, my digestive system was empty following a thorough involuntary cleansing. For anyone who has done a colonoscopy prep, it was similar to that, but at both ends. I went online to check out the possible reactions. Some sites listed nausea as a possibility. Harvard listed nausea and vomiting. Yale listed nausea, diarrhea, OR vomiting. Yale nailed it for me, replacing OR with AND.

I hope the reaction to the 2nd Pfizer shot, which is stronger for many people than the 1st, isn't any worse. I have the 2nd dose scheduled for St. Patrick's Day. I won't be doing any drinking that day, but I still may be worshipping the porcelain convenience. :confused:

Here's the good news: my son and his family are now living in Houston, and my granddaughter has a birthday in early April. I'm considering a road trip (by car or plane) to Texas. Rumor has it that there are some basketball games of interest in Texas in March/April. Hmmmmm. :)

Stay safe, everyone!
The other good news is your reaction is indicative of a strong antibody response to the vaccine!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Questions for most people in this thread:
Do they let you choose which arm (for non drive thru facilities)?
Do they give you the shot in each arm?
Do they let you choose which arm (for non drive thru facilities)? YES
Do they give you the shot in each arm? Haven't had #2 yet but my understanding is that it is still your preference

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm getting my shot the first day I am eligible - tomorrow! You read about other states and it makes me even happier to live in CT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The good news is that the number of vaccinations per day is ramping up significantly. Yesterday, the US administered approximately 2.4 million doses, the highest daily total so far. With both Pfizer & Moderna ramping up production, and J&J shipping their first doses next week, the US is expected to hit a vaccination rate of 4 million per day, hopefully by the end of March.

In order to be able to get all those doses in arms, the number of locations where vaccines will be administered is also growing significantly. While I got my first dose already and will get my second dose at a mass vaccination site in Plattsburgh, NY, I have recently received email messages notifying me that both my family doctor’s regional medical center, as well as my local pharmacy (CVS) are taking appointments for vaccinations.

Reaction Score
I had my first shot(Moderna) Dec 22. Only soreness in my arm. My second shot was Jan 16. I started feeling flu like symptoms about 8 hours after. Bone and joint aches, a "metallic", burning headache that lasted about 18 hours. I had had a similiar reaction from my second Shingles vaccine, so I wisely scheduled myself off for the next 48 hours. I was back to my old, cranky self the next day.

Reaction Score
Moderna #1 two weeks ago with nothing more than very minor ache at the point of injection. Vax #2 in two weeks.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I posted my own positive 1st dose experience above. I wanted to mention that I was able to schedule my wife, who is in the 55+ group (eligible as of today in CT) this morning. Most websites and phone systems hammered or out of date since midnight but I got through to Middlesex Health and got the appointment just 2 weeks out! Like mine, this will be done at the Middlesex Vaccine Center in Middletown. Smooth and efficient when I went. So happy to be in Connecticut through all this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom