(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

(OT) What's been your reaction to Covid-19 vaccine ?

Reaction Score
No vaccines available here in NE New Mexico. Called VA and they don't even want us to walk thru the door in both Santa Fe and ABQ. I am going to drive to Texas and see if I can get shots in San Antonio since I have a residence in that area.
NM is still only giving shots to 75 or older except for those with pre-existing conditions. They have been better than most other states in getting shots into arms.

Have you registered here?

NM Vaccine Registration

Reaction Score
I got the first Pfizer shot this morning and then went back to school to finish the day.

About five minutes after I got it, I got really hot and flush for a few minutes, but that subsided. Could have been the vaccine or it could have been a little of the anxiety from being face-to-face with students since August.

Just a little bit of soreness in my arm, and upon reading some other recommendation, I took ibuprofen when I got back to school and again before heading up to bed to skim the BY and pass out.
Good luck with school and having teachers in my family I do see the anxiety of them being in class! Be safe!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Got my first dose of Pfizer at Pratt and Whitney runway drive-thru here in CT and have my second on March 9. Used the VAMS site for scheduling and it went smoothly though I waited in my car for about an hour. I preferred the Pfizer because the second dose is a week earlier so best cover comes a week earlier. My arm was sore for a couple of days after the first shot.

Just want to remind people that while the vaccines are wonderful and hopefully represent the end of the worst of this pandemic, they are only 95% effective and that means 5 people out of every 100 vaccinated will still become infected with Covid. Much better odds, but with community spread still rampant, masks and social distancing still make sense, especially around unvaccinated people. While I will feel much safer in 3 weeks, it is still smart to remain vigilant through the summer.

Reaction Score
Shot two of the Moderna vaccine made me sick as a dog the following day. Headache, fever, chills, weakness. Lasted about 18 hours and then I was fine.

Reaction Score
My wife and I have had both shots of the Moderna vaccine. After the first shot, I woke up at 2 AM with every one of my arthritic joints aching at the same time. It was all over by morning. My wife, who is immune-suppressed had little reaction other than a sore arm for one day. The second shot was a little rougher for me with another round of joint pain at night followed by a day of feeling under the weather. Really no big deal at all and well worth it. We can now hang with friends who have also been vaccinated without masks. We still need to mask up in public and avoid crowds until the rate of community spread comes down.

The data shows that side effects vary all over the place between individuals. In general, older people with weaker immune systems show milder reactivity. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the intensity of side effects and the level of antibodies that develop. But this still needs to be studied more. But if you get a stronger reaction to the second shot, at least you know that something good is going on.

My niece and her partner at Denver Med are in their early 40s and had no reaction at all to the Pfizer vaccine. They were so concerned they got tested for spike protein antibodies and they both had seroconverted as expected. Some of their younger colleagues had much more severe side effects and 4 were actually admitted. But everybody did just fine. It will be interesting to see how younger people in the general population will respond to the shots when it is their turn. I hope that the stories that they are undoubtedly going to tell on social media don't discourage others from being vaccinated. The virus is spreading fastest among the 18-35-year-old age group, so they are particularly important for the ultimate control of the pandemic.
In Rehab from surgery and 3 employees that were vaccinated caught Covid still. They say everyone should still be wearing your mask all the time.

Reaction Score
Two shots of pfizer. The first nothing zipp. The second in other arm and into the muscle for the vaccine to circulate in body sore arm for 2 days. Nothing else.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Got Pfizer #2 yesterday, with absolutely zero side effects. However son in Chcago, at age 50, had fierce headache, sweats, chills, no sleep. Go figure. My vaccine ease must be either a sign of a virtuous life or living a life of retirement in Maine. On honest reflection, the latter is more likely.

Reaction Score
Got Pfizer #2 yesterday, with absolutely zero side effects. However son in Chcago, at age 50, had fierce headache, sweats, chills, no sleep. Go figure. My vaccine ease must be either a sign of a virtuous life or living a life of retirement in Maine. On honest reflection, the latter is more likely.
Yeah, it's that fresh salt air coming off OOB. Is the pier still up and is the French Fry stand still there?

Reaction Score
1st dose I had back in February and I had no ill effects at all. 2nd dose, which I got yesterday was fine until I woke up this morning feeling like I got run over my a truck. Body aches lasted for about 8 hrs then disappeared.
Which drug? I have friends who had no reaction to either Peizer shot ( including me and my wife ), and friends who had a strong reaction to the Moderna vaccine. Small sample sizes, however.

Reaction Score
Which vaccine did you get? I'm gonna be eligible later this spring based on Connecticut's age based schedule. I didn't want the Pfizer one because I don't need something that's like 90 degrees below zero being shot into me, so I was hoping for the Moderna one.
Moderna

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Shelby County is not yet on the state registry system. You can learn how to register here:

Shelby County COVID-19 Vaccine Registry

The trick is to be persistent and register at all of the online sites. You can always cancel once you get an appointment.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been to the site everyday and the message is "The county you have selected is not taking appointments at this time." Same with surrounding counties. I have put my name on the list by phone to the health department. And also registered through UAB site. So far no feedback. I can wait as I am not going anywhere soon.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been to the site everyday and the message is "The county you have selected is not taking appointments at this time." Same with surrounding counties. I have put my name on the list by phone to the health department. And also registered through UAB site. So far no feedback. I can wait as I am not going anywhere soon.
People who sign up on a state registry and wait to be scheduled often wait a really long time. The site I posted has links for private vaccination sites like Walmart and Sams Club. These places get allocations directly from the feds and are separate from the state registry system. I suggest saving each one of those links and check them every day. Very often they will announce new appointments the day before. Then you need to be on the site as soon as they open as it will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Once you are on a site, don't keep hitting the refresh button or it will put you at the end of the line each time.

The distribution process in most states is very unfair and disorganized. The states rarely have the Public Health infrastructure in place to do mass vaccinations. In many places, like here in Florida, the state just kicks the responsibility down to the counties, which are even more unprepared for the job. You just need to be proactive and patient in order to get your shots in a timely manner. If don't you could be passed over. Some states are already lowering the age limits next week before they finished vaccinating all of the previous groups.

Reaction Score
I got my first Pfizer shot on Jan 15th and the second on Feb 5th ..... absolutely no issues after the first and when I got the second, I was fine initially but had some aches in the overnight but by morning, those minor issues had gone away .... the only people who had any issues of any note were the people who have always ha substantial allergy reactions and even then those who had a reaction were immediately treated and subsequently were fine in very short order .... there's been no reaction that was severe enough to be fearful of the vaccine .... anyone who fears it is doing themselves a big disservice and potentially putting themselves and others at risk

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I have read that blood type seems to correlate with degree of side effects. I believe Type O has, on average, fewest/least severe side effects, and Type AB the most. My family is all Type O and across the board, almost no side effects to the second shots of both Pfizer and Moderna. Other family friends with Type A blood seemed to fair worse (but still be absolutely fine after a day).

Reaction Score
I have read that blood type seems to correlate with degree of side effects. I believe Type O has, on average, fewest/least severe side effects, and Type AB the most. My family is all Type O and across the board, almost no side effects to the second shots of both Pfizer and Moderna. Other family friends with Type A blood seemed to fair worse (but still be absolutely fine after a day).
I haven't seen any reports that blood type affects the severity of side effects. It has been documented that people with Type O blood are less likely to contract symptomatic COVID-19 than other blood group types with Type AB the most likely. The difference is to the order of 4-5%.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
We live in a 55+ community in FL. The HOA Board reached out to DOH and they've been here 2x, first for 80+ and then for 65+. Hubby had both Moderna jabs. First jab was painless. 2nd one yesterday his arm was much more sore, and had lots of aches and felt like he was burning up in the middle of the night. Mostly achy today, lack of energy, but he said it's starting to go away. I'm hoping they open up the age range as I'm younger than him, and there are a lot of folks here that don't take the mask/distancing things seriously. So I await ...

Reaction Score
I got two doses of the Pfizer with no side effects from either. From that information one can deduce nothing. Some people get side-effects, some (even more) don’t, and age, gender, blood type, astrological sign, none of ‘em are predictors. What’s important is a: if you get side effects they’ll be short-lived, and b: compared to getting sick from the virus (potentially VERY serious) it’s a walk in the park. If I may be allowed to use my professional background to offer a piece of advice, I urge my friends here to abandon all concerns about which vaccine you’re in a position to receive. They’re all more than sufficiently effective, and, in our collective effort to achieve herd immunity, all will contribute mightily toward that goal. This will almost surely wind up being similar to what we’re already used to with flu shots, meaning annual boosters to cover the inevitable variants and mutations as they arise...no big deal!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
People who sign up on a state registry and wait to be scheduled often wait a really long time. The site I posted has links for private vaccination sites like Walmart and Sams Club. These places get allocations directly from the feds and are separate from the state registry system. I suggest saving each one of those links and check them every day. Very often they will announce new appointments the day before. Then you need to be on the site as soon as they open as it will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Once you are on a site, don't keep hitting the refresh button or it will put you at the end of the line each time.

The distribution process in most states is very unfair and disorganized. The states rarely have the Public Health infrastructure in place to do mass vaccinations. In many places, like here in Florida, the state just kicks the responsibility down to the counties, which are even more unprepared for the job. You just need to be proactive and patient in order to get your shots in a timely manner. If don't you could be passed over. Some states are already lowering the age limits next week before they finished vaccinating all of the previous groups.
Thanks again. I have tried Walmart site daily and no luck so far. Also Walgreens. There are some small independents who are said to have the doses , but I haven't been lucky so far.

Reaction Score
I got the Pfizer shot. Felt a little warm day 2 maybe. But after that, nothing.

Reaction Score
Which vaccine did you get? I'm gonna be eligible later this spring based on Connecticut's age based schedule. I didn't want the Pfizer one because I don't need something that's like 90 degrees below zero being shot into me, so I was hoping for the Moderna one.

That's not an issue. The Pfizer vaccine is brought out of the freezer a couple of days prior to being given out. It is OK for it to be in a regular refrigerator for up to five days. I had the Pfizer one and there is no feeling of cold (or anything else).

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Moderna 1 sore L arm for ~36hours
Moderna 2 sore R arm for ~24 hours
(74 year old male)
Questions for most people in this thread:
Do they let you choose which arm (for non drive thru facilities)?
Do they give you the shot in each arm?

Reaction Score
In Rhode Island got 1st Pfizer shot today.

In RI you choose either the State sites (Dunkin Center or Sockanosett in Cranston) or CVS/Walgreens. All are a nightmare to register with. With the State sites you know which vaccine is given where and Prizer is given at the Dunkin Center which is what I wanted for reduced side-effects. At the opening bell for my age group (65-75) I was working pc & phone for a slot - which took over 3 hours for a successful registration.

Both RI phone & web registration gave me false positives - saying an appointment is available, then letting you fill out ALL your information, then at submission the web/phone reverts to the "no appointments available message" & erases your information such you must start again - IF/WHEN the system shows another opening.

Not for those you get frustrated easily.

------------------

My appointment was for an exact time (12:55) and the National Guard managed traffic well getting to and around the facility.

At the site they checked me and the vaccination process was fast & smooth.

After the injection everyone must sit to be observed for side-effects and register for a 2nd vaccination - which is where the RI system has a hiccup that many/most of us needed help with today.

To get your 2nd appointment time/date you must SCAN a paper QR code into your cell phone. Several issues with this process among the aged.

1) Many sitting in the recovery area by me could not read the paper instruction page as the print font was too small - we are seniors and not all see well.

2) Many did not have a cell phone.

3) Among those with a cell phone, many had no clue how to scan a QR code.

The result was the wonderful National Guard members were helping nearly everyone with their dose #2 registration with their own devices - which was fine. We owe them a thank you.

My guess is the whole, use your cell phone to scan a paper QR code, will work better among the twenty-somethings than the seventy-somethings, but the State has other problems more pressing than thinking through their senior Covid registration process.

After the observation period is passed you check out giving your documents to a person in a glass sealed booth who asks you to take off your face mask because they want to see if your lips are swelled - if so, bad and you get looked after. If not, good to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom