OT: What hobby keeps you busy ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: What hobby keeps you busy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned drinking every craft beer. Maybe try out home brewing instead?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if smoking weed and playing video games is a hobby, but I'm pretty good at it.

I did recently download the free Unity 3D Engine and started going through the tutorials to make my own video games, which is actually pretty rad. But you might find that excessively nerdy.

Reaction Score
I've made games, too, but not in a couple years, since I switched my focus to Japanese. I do want to return to it, but I'll probably stick with 2D or browser games, as opposed to something like Unity.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if smoking weed and playing video games is a hobby, but I'm pretty good at it.

I did recently download the free Unity 3D Engine and started going through the tutorials to make my own video games, which is actually pretty rad. But you might find that excessively nerdy.
Or Blender the 3d drawing software if you like that sort of stuff. If you have a .edu address, you can get any Autodesk AutoCad software, but you will spend a few years learning it. Blender is fairly easy to master, and I think the files (object) transfer to stuff like this.
There's a great deal of buzz around Swift, Apple's open source dev software. I prefer gardening.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Horse Racing. It's perfect for retirement. The more homework you do, the more successful you can be. And the more you learn, the more you find you need to know.

Without the gamble, how about making short films? I just came across this - Werner Herzog Teaches Filmmaking. Only $90., I'm in!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not kidding when I say you should download pokemon go and learn to play. It's free, you'll stay active, keeps the mind active, and most of all it's a ton of fun. I've seen multiple 60+ year olds playing and got my grandfather to do so. he was apprehensive at first but he's addicted now.

I'm going to say that I think this is an excellent idea.

I'd add that I think photography would be a good hobby for you - you already like to hike and photography is a natural extension of that.

Doh...feeling my post was stinging and downright insensitively horrific, I deleted it. Without knowing you replied.

God, I hate myself.

That never happens to me.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Considering you don't have the space for woodworking but have a good background knowledge with the tools from your cabinet making past, what about picking up old tools and refurbishing them? You could tag sale and flea market your off on the weekends and derust and tune during the week. The ebay market is still pretty strong on vintage tools so there could be a couple of clams to be made as well. You don't need much space, hell you could do 90% of the work outside if you choose. Its a deep rabbit hole to fall into. Hand planes, saws, chisels, marking gauges, miter boxes .... If you really want to torture yourself you can learn to file and sharpen handsaws. Some good fun is to drink 3 double IPA's all while filing a handsaw sitting down. Once you finish stand up real fast.

Ive got plenty of info on that kid of stuff if you happen to become interested.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I retired a few months ago, and I'm already going nuts with all this free time.

What's your favorite hobby? Any plans for beginning something new?

Interesting thread. Fascinating to see how different peoples clocks tick. Some need to be busy, some need to work all their lives etc.....

Me? I dream of doing absolutely nothing. I could be content having no aim or purpose and seeing what each day brings with no other constraints other than what I feel like doing that exact moment.

Reaction Score
I retired a few months ago, and I'm already going nuts with all this free time.

What's your favorite hobby? Any plans for beginning something new?
I've been working with Habitat for Humanity for about 10 months now. It's fun. You get to use power tools and build houses alongside other mostly retired men and women. There's a wide range of skills among volunteers. Most are easy to work with and willing to help.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Me? I dream of doing absolutely nothing. I could be content having no aim or purpose and seeing what each day brings with no other constraints other than what I feel like doing that exact moment.

I think many go into retirement with that attitude. The problem is that doing nothing gets old.

Reaction Score
I have been retired for almost nine years .
I was probably a workaholic ,so predictions of my impending doom were many and
since I also moved from Ct to AZ that compounded the problem.
I moved to an active adult community that had its own golf course,as well an incredible community center. I also had my son "AZHuskie"who preceded me here.
Plus his son now 8 ,AZHuskiePup by current partner in crime.
I bought an annual membership and golfed almost every day for the first five years.
I went from a 30 handicap to a 12. The trick to success in golf is to be 3 strokes better than your handicap so I preferred playing at at 14 or 15. Sandbagging is a necessary skill. That game was critical to transition from employed to retired.
The more important thing is the early group became an organized daily game with 20-30 guys . It also enabled me to make many friends becoming a part of a different group The socialization would continue long after the game ended. Once a month we had a scramble with prizes and either had a potluck at someone's house ( my wife's potato salad was always a hit)
Nothing like old men solving the world's problems to pass the day. That eclectic cast of characters was interesting. Mostly Midwesterners and Pacific Northwesterners
Some like Motown Mark too colorful for words.
Since the daily game was the only money I earned ,I listed professional golfer as my occupation.
I'm also an amateur genealogist ,my goal in retirement was to complete a family history written anecdotally. Although I am a Storyteller and decent speaker ,
It quickly became apparent my ability to write sucked.
Enter the Boneyard , I've written thousands of posts in an effort to gain skills usually deleting most. I 'm still working on the book. It's fate is dubious at best
Since Troon management destroyed our group my interest in golf has waned.
I still golf occasionally,but mostly reading(I read about 100 books a year) , Traveling , and physical exercise ( I go to gym 5 times a week) occupy my time
swimming ,lifting weights ,but mostly walking .I walk about 2,000 miles a year ,I Don't watch TV ,except UConn games ,or read a newspaper.
What's the point when I have 100 news sources with the original stories unheadlined available to me.
I love research and Im a student of history.
I'm currently toying with the ideas of getting an on line degree in philosophy as the metaphysical sciences intrigues me.
In summation keep busy ,if your married stay out of your wife's way ,your the intruder.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I think many go into retirement with that attitude. The problem is that doing nothing gets old.

I mean I guess I understand that, I just want a crack at it to see for myself :)

And the thing is what is "doing nothing" really? Im sure it has an ultra wide definition depending on the person. To some people, waking up making a cup of coffee and taking the dog for a walk and doing nothing else structured for the rest of the day qualifies as "doing something". To others Im sure it would bring about the height of boredom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Know anything about Daisy BB guns? I've been looking for one to help persuade a groundhog to leave my garden alone. I hit him with paintballs, and he don't even acknowledge he's been hit.

I'd like to get a nice vintage one like the one I had as a kid. I think it was made in the 40's or 50's.
He'll laugh at a bb gun. Heck a pellet gun won't disuade him. Woodchucks are the supermen of garden pests.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
He'll laugh at a bb gun. Heck a pellet gun won't disuade him. Woodchucks are the supermen of garden pests.

That's what I gather from my past attempts. I've been kinda hoping he'd leave so high he'd try to hump a coyote, or maybe a fisher, but no luck so far. I just can't kill an animal. Don't have it in me. But I'm ok with nature getting the job done outside of my garden.

Reaction Score
I have been retired for almost nine years .
I was probably a workaholic ,so predictions of my impending doom were many and
since I also moved from Ct to AZ that compounded the problem.
I moved to an active adult community that had its own golf course,as well an incredible community center. I also had my son "AZHuskie"who preceded me here.
Plus his son now 8 ,AZHuskiePup by current partner in crime.
I bought an annual membership and golfed almost every day for the first five years.
I went from a 30 handicap to a 12. The trick to success in golf is to be 3 strokes better than your handicap so I preferred playing at at 14 or 15. Sandbagging is a necessary skill. That game was critical to transition from employed to retired.
The more important thing is the early group became an organized daily game with 20-30 guys . It also enabled me to make many friends becoming a part of a different group The socialization would continue long after the game ended. Once a month we had a scramble with prizes and either had a potluck at someone's house ( my wife's potato salad was always a hit)
Nothing like old men solving the world's problems to pass the day. That eclectic cast of characters was interesting. Mostly Midwesterners and Pacific Northwesterners
Some like Motown Mark too colorful for words.
Since the daily game was the only money I earned ,I listed professional golfer as my occupation.
I'm also an amateur genealogist ,my goal in retirement was to complete a family history written anecdotally. Although I am a Storyteller and decent speaker ,
It quickly became apparent my ability to write sucked.
Enter the Boneyard , I've written thousands of posts in an effort to gain skills usually deleting most. I 'm still working on the book. It's fate is dubious at best
Since Troon management destroyed our group my interest in golf has waned.
I still golf occasionally,but mostly reading(I read about 100 books a year) , Traveling , and physical exercise ( I go to gym 5 times a week) occupy my time
swimming ,lifting weights ,but mostly walking .I walk about 2,000 miles a year ,I Don't watch TV ,except UConn games ,or read a newspaper.
What's the point when I have 100 news sources with the original stories unheadlined available to me.
I love research and Im a student of history.
I'm currently toying with the ideas of getting an on line degree in philosophy as the metaphysical sciences intrigues me.
In summation keep busy ,if your married stay out of your wife's way ,your the intruder.
Wow! Your post simultaneously exhausted/inspired me! You must be one cool cat to have a drink with.

Reaction Score
I enjoy cooking all types of things! I want a killer out door kitchen for when i retire. I could spend days in my back yard baking pizza in my pizza oven, smoking different things in my smoker and grilling different things on my grill. When not doing that I'd be making different cocktails and working on little projects just for the fun of it... Id love to have all day every day to plan out a workout schedule that i dont have to rush through because of the rigors of work life. Also dont know why, but i want a boat!

Reaction Score
Spirituality/social activism, gym, forests, cities, shores, sporting events, photography, collectibles and of course, the internet. The internet is quite a useful tool.

Been disabled/"retired" for 20 years.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's what I gather from my past attempts. I've been kinda hoping he'd leave so high he'd try to hump a coyote, or maybe a fisher, but no luck so far. I just can't kill an animal. Don't have it in me. But I'm ok with nature getting the job done outside of my garden.
e8aef82f-b4ca-42fc-bc3a-fac7f7150b22_400.jpg

Reaction Score
Weed, everything is better with weed. (Except operating a motor vehicle or dangerous equipment)

That said have you considered Coursera or any of the other on-line learning sites? I use the digital image processing course to initiate the postdocs to image processing, it's OK. It's a good way to pass time if you are interested in the subject.

As for physical activities, growing weed is pretty fun.

What about hunting anddd weed? Go red team go.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not looking to kill it. Just tap it in the ass to get its attention.
I do believe that that might be effective.

Hypothetically, suppose someone was a little fed up with deer browsing all his (or her) landscaping and further assume that this kind individual was an exceptionally kind and decent person, so he (or she) decided to use adverse stimulae to have said deer have a negative association with said landscaping. Further assume that the method of choice that this suburban Mother Theresa used, might have been an airsoft gun, a pretty good one, theoretically. And let us assume that this truly kind soul is a pretty decent shot. Might he (or she) not shoot at the only thing kind of looks like a target on the back side of said deer? Oh he (or she) might, he (or she) just might. And hypothetically let's say that said airsoft projectile might have hit said target like a heat seeking missile. Well this hypothetical individual may have seen deer jump before, but never quite that high or enthusiastically.

Hypothetically, the deer studiously avoided said backyard, from that day forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom