OT: Van Halen Groupon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Van Halen Groupon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw DLR and VH just after the original separation. Both played a lot of non VH classic stuff. Probably liked Roth's group better. They had some great musicians in the band as well, Steve VaI and Billy Sheehan.

I definitely prefer the classic Roth era VH music to the Van Hagar period. Roth was right in that most people didn't want to hear Eddie play keyboards. I still don't want to hear that.

I never even bothered listening after DLR left. I'm a big fan. I think Eddie is the current problem with the band.

Reaction Score
Saw them back in 2008 with Diamond Dave, they were terrific. No idea how they hold up today.

So did I. They were great in 2008. But I saw them a few weeks ago and man, has Dave lost his voice. I will always like Dave better than Sammy but I'm done seeing Van Halen until their farewell tour. The music is still incredible. The guitars and drums sound just like they do on the albums.

Reaction Score
Even in his heyday, DLR was a bit of a cheeseball with his schtick. But man could those 4 guys rock. The first time I saw them I thought the roof was literally going to blow off the New Haven Colesium. Alex, most of my previous post was directed toward Husky25, who inexplicably prefers the Van Hagar era.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Seeing Van Halen with DLR is on my bucket list and I was planning to see them this summer. However, after seeing their TV show performances designed to drum up buzz for the tour, I going to pass. I'm a big DLR fan but my advise to him is: Just sing the damn songs like they were meant to be sung.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Even in his heyday, DLR was a bit of a cheeseball with his schtick. But man could those 4 guys rock. The first time I saw them I thought the roof was literally going to blow off the New Haven Colesium. Alex, most of my previous post was directed toward Husky25, who inexplicably prefers the Van Hagar era.
Where did I say that? I said I grew up with Van Hagar (The original Van Halen was a little before my formative years) and that Hagar is a better singer and musician than Roth. Hate to break it to you, but that is a widely held belief. I said that the band peaked musically with Hagar, but that takes nothing away from the energy of the original line-up or my enjoyment of it. It doesn't mean I didn't like the original DLR version. It's not an either/or proposition. It's like saying I can't like Sound Garden because I like Audioslave (or vice versa).

Regarding the current line-up, I stand by my original statement. Van Halen is a cover band of their '78-'85 selves. I might just put on Fair Warning on August 11 and know that I can be entertained for free.

I recall watching a documentary where Jason Newsted's responded to critics that Metallica sold out with the Black Album. He said something to effect of, "Of course we sold out. In every city we played." DLR only fans can poo-poo the Sammy era all they want. I just want to listen to good music, regardless of singer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those vocals, if you want to go that far, are awful. He can't sing. The show is a combination of him humming, talking or the crowd singing the lyrics. You would think Eddie & Alex would be more concerned with the band's reputation and legacy than a few more bucks, but apparently not. Those 2 are regarded as 2 of the biggest pr$cks in the industry.

This video shows it's more a Van Halen problem than a David Lee Roth problem:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
A friend of mine told me he attended a Van Halen concert once and in the middle of the show, they put visuals up on the screen of DLR's dogs and he went on a long tangent about raising dogs. A long way from the sex, drugs and rock n roll era. The fans were like, " That's great Dave. Now can you perform some songs, please??" Probably at the current shows, he'll discuss his IRA portfolio.

Reaction Score
Those vocals, if you want to go that far, are awful. He can't sing. The show is a combination of him humming, talking or the crowd singing the lyrics. You would think Eddie & Alex would be more concerned with the band's reputation and legacy than a few more bucks, but apparently not. Those 2 are regarded as 2 of the biggest pr$cks in the industry.

I'm not sure what people are expecting. DLR could never really sing anyway. That became pretty clear with California Girls. Then again Joe Strummer couldn't sing either. Listen to DLRs vocals untouched in 1978 in the link above. Pretty clear he talks through most of it, then unleashes some screams (which he can't do anymore).

Me, I'm just not a big fan of that Sammy Hagar-American Idol-Smooth Voice. Leaves me cold. which is why I stopped listening when DLR left the band. DLR had character.

Reaction Score
Followed these guys since maybe 1981. Saw them maybe ten times with both DLR and Sammy. Real VH is with Dave and he never ever could sing. Even off on his own stints with California Girls or Just Like Paradise with that Steve Vai Eddie wannabe.

Simply put, 25.00 is worth it to hear Eddie at this point. Maybe the last greatest performing rock guitar god and he killed it on the last tour a few years ago.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what people are expecting. DLR could never really sing anyway. That became pretty clear with California Girls. Then again Joe Strummer couldn't sing either. Listen to DLRs vocals untouched in 1978 in the link above. Pretty clear he talks through most of it, then unleashes some screams (which he can't do anymore).

That's actually what made that song! Better than the original imo.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Eat-Em-and-Smile.jpg

Eat'em and Smile!!

Reaction Score
Or in Spanish, Sonrisa Salvaje. I had both versions of the lp.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Saw them open for Sabbath in 1978 in New Haven. I would hate to ruin that memory by seeing them now.

Reaction Score
Seeing Van Halen with DLR is on my bucket list and I was planning to see them this summer. However, after seeing their TV show performances designed to drum up buzz for the tour, I going to pass. I'm a big DLR fan but my advise to him is: Just sing the damn songs like they were meant to be sung.
Totally agree...Love the old DLR lineup, the early Van Halen stuff is the best. Mean Street is one of my favorite all time songs, but Dave is a shell of what he was.

Reaction Score
Dave can't sing. He either talks, hums or let's the crowd sing. For $25 it could still be a good time, but the expectations should be low for thinking you'll hear songs like Runnin', Little Guitars, Ain't Talkin', Everybody wants some anything like the original.

Totally agree...Love the old DLR lineup, the early Van Halen stuff is the best. Mean Street is one of my favorite all time songs, but Dave is a shell of what he was.

Reaction Score
Agreed..Much better show tonight than I expected. DLR has replaced his jumping splits with sliding across the stage. He was good and Eddie is still a guitar god.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd, not surprisingly, was one of the best warm up acts I've seen, right up there with Stevie Winwood with the Allmans in 2013.

Reaction Score
Fantastic setlist tonight. Dave is goofy but sounded much better than I expected. The three Van Halens still really bring it. A very good show.

Reaction Score
Band was tight. DLR passable with talking/screeching lyrics. Had fun with the high school nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom