OT: Van Halen Groupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Recent reviews prove that the show is worth $10

Reaction Score
opening act is amazing...Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Reaction Score
Is this with Davey? He sounded awful on that TV show most recently. Music was good though, not like he ever had a great voice or anything. Can't beat 25 bucks

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Saw them back in 2008 with Diamond Dave, they were terrific. No idea how they hold up today.

Reaction Score
Is this with Davey? He sounded awful on that TV show most recently. Music was good though, not like he ever had a great voice or anything. Can't beat 25 bucks

yes with Diamond Dave.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Van Halen has turned into a DLR era cover band of themselves and apparently not a very good one either. It's a shame really.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I am hoping Eddie kills David, thus cancelling the tour, and we get our money back.

(In Hartford August 11)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the videos. Better than I thought they'd be. I still think Eddie is a problem. But he's getting better. I have no idea how badly he fried his mind for him to be off time like he is these days, but it's not an easy thing to do. They do sound tighter than some of the last videos I've seen. I can't understand the DLR hate, since he is basically always what he has been, and that is a first rate clown with incredible timing. I don't think anyone else can do what he does. The first part of Hot For Teachers is basically just him cracking up. If you've ever heard the DLR isolated recordings for the studio albums, they are a howl.

Reaction Score
This video shows it's more a Van Halen problem than a David Lee Roth problem:

Reaction Score
This video shows it's more a Van Halen problem than a David Lee Roth problem:

Nah...Dave still sucks. Saw them in their prime during the 1984 tour, also caught them in New Haven with Sammy. Nothing worse then watching a bunch of old men who have lost it and having to pay money for it. Now Foo Fighters, that's a great show, caught them at Citi Field last week...Great Show!

Reaction Score
My first VH spotting was in New Haven and I wonder if any other Yarders were there. They opened for The Kinks in support of the first album. Think it was 1978. Memorable set from both. Kinks had yet again resurrected themselves.

Reaction Score
I saw Van Halen more times than I can count back in the eighties and again in 2007.I saw them at Madison Square Garden the new Haven Coliseum and the Hartford Civic Center all in one week. All of those shows were great. I think I will go on August 11th just for old times sake.

Reaction Score
I saw Hagar and DL Roth when they toured together a decade or so ago...Hagar blew Roth away....but I'm going next month for old times sake.

Reaction Score
No Hagar did not blow Roth away that is a preposterous statement. Roth has always been a far better frontman than Hagar.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No Hagar did not blow Roth away that is a preposterous statement. Roth has always been a far better frontman than Hagar.
David Lee Roth might be a better frontman, but Hagar is a better musician and vocalist. I love the pure energy of the early Van Halen. I've seen bits a pieces of concert footage from the early years and their first 4 Albums are in the conversation of greatest first 4 of any band. Heck, most bands don't even last 4 albums!! But I grew up with Van Hagar.

My first concert ever was Van Hagar in 1986 at the Worcester Centrum. I was 9. I know many VH fans dismiss the Sammy era, but the thing is the styles were so different that I don't think they are comparable. EVH was able to experiment more and I think he got better (if that's possible) during the Sammy years than he was from '78-'85. I think that is why the Gary Cherrone experiment failed so miserably didn't live up to the same standards. They tried to carry on with the Hagar style.

For me, Van Halen's musical ability peaked during the Sammy era somewhere between OU812 and (F)or (U)nlawful (C)arnal (K)nowledge. I wore out both of those cassettes and if you've ever listened to Dreams without the lyrics, I think you'd realize that the only way they could have put that out in the Roth era is as an instrumental. DLR was a great showman, but he cannot approach Hagar in terms of vocal ability or musical talent.

Reaction Score

Did you see that show at the Meadows???

Reaction Score
Yes I did, I believe it was in 2002.

And the Van Hagar era pales in comparison to the original lineup. Give the Fair Warning album a good listen then get back to me. NOTHING they did with Hagar can compare to stuff like Unchained or Hear About It Later. Its like comparing Rick Springfield to Led Zeppelin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw DLR and VH just after the original separation. Both played a lot of non VH classic stuff. Probably liked Roth's group better. They had some great musicians in the band as well, Steve VaI and Billy Sheehan.

I definitely prefer the classic Roth era VH music to the Van Hagar period. Roth was right in that most people didn't want to hear Eddie play keyboards. I still don't want to hear that.

Reaction Score
Yes I did, I believe it was in 2002.

And the Van Hagar era pales in comparison to the original lineup. Give the Fair Warning album a good listen then get back to me. NOTHING they did with Hagar can compare to stuff like Unchained or Hear About It Later. Its like comparing Rick Springfield to Led Zeppelin.

You are correct. I went to that show to see the "old" VH stuff with DLR....I have all six DLR / VH CD's and zero Van Hagar CD's....but THAT night Hagar put on an amazing show while DLR was a caricature of his old self, spraying JD from his crotch, making the same old sexist jokes like it was 1979...I never said Van Hagar was better than Van DLR Halen....it's not really close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom