OT: USA 3 Panama 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're welcome neighbor....

mex-papers.jpg

...now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Reaction Score
Back to the game, anyone else excited about this Johannsson kid? It looked like he dropped back into the midfield a bit in the second half the other day, and his play in the build up was impressive. He has some instincts and skills that few, if any, of the players on our team possess, and i can see why Klinsy spent a year recruiting him. I could see him being an x factor next summer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why do you intentionally miss the point just to pick arguments with people? You're smart enough to understand hyperbole when it's used, do you enjoy pretending to be stupid? Is that fun for you?

Nah, I know guys like you. I coached rec league soccer. They asked me because they were basically out of options. I had no soccer background but my youngest brother was on the team and I had a friend who played in college and they knew he would pitch in. It was basically me or they disband the team. I gave it my best shot, but that didn't stop a few soccer snobs like yourself from giving me a ton of on occaision. You say I wasn't "giving" my time, but "wasting" my time? Ef you.

Reaction Score
Another issue (source: Alexi Lalas some years ago) is that soccer is coached in the United States from an early age. The 5 - 10 years olds mentioned above run drills and "learn" soccer technique. Many of the overseas players come from poverty stricken areas and they just play. Instead of learning technique, they develop instinct.

I've heard a partially similar comment form a close friend who is a Brit, former 1st division player in England who stopped playing when he realized he was not going to advance beyond that level (and decided to go to work to earn some real $$ for his wife to start their family...he's now a top exec making more than most players in the Premiereship, so right decision for him). His father coaches at a high level outside of Manchester, Engl, and his own kids play youth soccer in the US. He has commented that the coaching/instruction the youth leagues are provided in the States is far superior to what they are doing "back home". It is much more technical, etc.. He didn't reference the lacking instinct piece, but there is some merit to that I would assume (as much as it annoys me to agree with anything Lalas says).

Reaction Score
Back to the game, anyone else excited about this Johannsson kid? It looked like he dropped back into the midfield a bit in the second half the other day, and his play in the build up was impressive. He has some instincts and skills that few, if any, of the players on our team possess, and i can see why Klinsy spent a year recruiting him. I could see him being an x factor next summer.
Yes, yes, and yes..... He will be a big factor in Brazil.

Reaction Score
I've heard a partially similar comment form a close friend who is a Brit, former 1st division player in England who stopped playing when he realized he was not going to advance beyond that level (and decided to go to work to earn some real for his wife to start their family...he's now a top exec making more than most players in the Premiereship, so right decision for him). His father coaches at a high level outside of Manchester, Engl, and his own kids play youth soccer in the US. He has commented that the coaching/instruction the youth leagues are provided in the States is far superior to what they are doing "back home". It is much more technical, etc.. He didn't reference the lacking instinct piece, but there is some merit to that I would assume (as much as it annoys me to agree with anything Lalas says).

This is good to hear. It's likely that we won't see the impact of these reforms for a decade or so, but I am pretty confident that US Soccer will only improve as time goes by.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I like AJ's game and his skill level, but he will need some seasoning with a look to replacing Demspey in 2018.

In 2014, he will make the roster and back up the ST and ACM spots with EJ and Mix.

Time for an update:

GK - Howard** - Guzan* - Rimando
LB - Beasley* - TBD
CM - Besler*- Gonzalez* - Goodson* -Cameron*
RB - Evans* - TBD
DM - Bradley**-Jones**- Beckerman - Diskerud*
LAM - Donovan**-F Johnson*
CAM - Dempsey**
RAM - Zusi* - Bedoya
ST: Altidore*, E Johnson*, Johansson*

Assumes most of the attacking players are interchangeable, Cameron gets spot duty in three spots and the only guaranteed starters are LD, CD, MB, JJ and TH.

I think Jurg will look for.more depth at Fullback with Parkhurst a leading candidate at RB who may end up starting. Cherundolo will make the squad if healthy and playing regularly. LB looks like F. Johnson is the preferred backup to Beasley but with him already on the roster, someone like Castillo makes it on the Bus. Beckerman and Bedoya are on currently the bubble.

Reaction Score
Watching youth soccer in many towns is painful. They just stick the kids on a field that is way too big and let the mob chase around a soccer ball while everyone on the side screams "kick it".

I want to choke everyone involved, except the kids of course, it's not their fault.

We are running into this with my oldest - he's been playing rec level soccer and is trying to transition to premier level. The premier coach thinks he has a lot of upside but is working on drumming out a lot of bad habits that he's picked up from playing rec for so long. He has told us on a couple of occassions that rec soccer can ruin a player like my son.

Reaction Score
Nah, I know guys like you. I coached rec league soccer. They asked me because they were basically out of options. I had no soccer background but my youngest brother was on the team and I had a friend who played in college and they knew he would pitch in. It was basically me or they disband the team. I gave it my best shot, but that didn't stop a few soccer snobs like yourself from giving me a ton of on occaision. You say I wasn't "giving" my time, but "wasting" my time? Ef you.

Much respect to you.

Reaction Score

You're always the victim huh. You poor thing.

Reaction Score

If the US stays with the 4-5-1 formation that seems to be the one that works well, I see Johannsson as a quality late-match offensive sub that the US can use to spell Altidore at the end of the game or add a second striker when a goal is needed. Every team needs a spark like that and it helps that his game is different from both Altidore & Eddie Johnson.

Reaction Score

You poor thing, i hope you can get the help needed to get over it.

Soccer snob? If you saw coaches put five year olds on a regulation baseball diamond, have them pitch to each other, and play a nine inning game, what would you do? Cause if you suggest to them they aren't helping the kids learn properly, they are wasting everyone's time, and there are better ways to do things then you are a baseball snob giving some poor guys a bunch of .

Playing 9v9 or 11v11 with five year olds on a youth field with regulation goals is a waste of time and if someone politely tries to explain that to you they aren't a snob they are someone you should listen to. Unless your arrogance and ego won't allow it.

Youth games shouldn't involve more than 4v4 in an area smaller than the penalty box with small cones for goals.

I'm sorry that you wasted your time. Sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way.ay e next time you'll use the internet to do some research about sonde things you can do at the youth level instead of looking to pick a fight because you think you know someone based off one post.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Waquoit, it's great that you helped out when the kids needed you. Sounds like it was you or nothing, and it's always better to have someone that's willing to devote his/her time than to have nothing at all.

But if we are all being honest about why the US, a country of over 300 million and with more resources / fields than any other country in the world, cannot compete for a World Cup, the answer is exactly what you just supplied us with. The fact that too many of our youth teams are not properly coached. It's not your fault, but it is exactly what it is.

And to Samcro, who believes that our youth are trained to a higher technical level than the youth of England, I'll just say that I have some land in the everglades to sell you. I can tell you with great certainty, at least when it comes to a comparison with Italy, that the youth here are light-years behind. In fact, while many of our 15 and 16 year-olds are battling on high school fields, many of the elite Italians are already connected with professional teams' "junior sides". Some even with contracts that would make you say "screw college."

Can I blame the US? Not really. You need professionals to train professionals, and we don't have enough supply. Also, as some have already alluded to, we don't value this as our main national sport. That means that we aren't all that concerned about whether someone's older brother is coaching or not. Those are the types of things that have to change if we really want to get serious about the World Cup...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
As an addendum, my next door neighbor coaches his daughter's 6-7 year old team. He literally....and I mean LITERALLY...just learned about the rules by picking up a book at the library. I don't blame him, because like Waquoit, he's donating his time and effort to help foster some growth and interest in the game. But let's be honest about it: that doesn't happen in countries that are competing for World Cups. Plain and simple...

Reaction Score
As an addendum, my next door neighbor coaches his daughter's 6-7 year old team. He literally....and I mean LITERALLY...just learned about the rules by picking up a book at the library. I don't blame him, because like Waquoit, he's donating his time and effort to help foster some growth and interest in the game. But let's be honest about it: that doesn't happen in countries that are competing for World Cups. Plain and simple...

Most of those countries don't have super programs for the girls. That's one area the US has an edge over most on.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Most of those countries don't have super programs for the girls. That's one area the US has an edge over most on.

That's true. Most of those countries don't value the female soccer player (or maybe even the female athlete). That is one area where the United States has always been a world-leader; a fact that I'm very proud of. And it also makes it clear why we are ALWAYS competing for the women's World Cup. Are we just technically better on the women's side than the men's? No. It's just that the rest of the world doesn't care about their women players...

Reaction Score
The cost concern is changing somewhat with the MLS academies not costing the same as other older teams, and with an avenue to a pro contract, they will vacuum up the quality players in their region. MLS is where US soccer will grow. The league is getting better each and every year.

Go Dynamo!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You poor thing, i hope you can get the help needed to get over it.

Soccer snob? If you saw coaches put five year olds on a regulation baseball diamond, have them pitch to each other, and play a nine inning game, what would you do? Cause if you suggest to them they aren't helping the kids learn properly, they are wasting everyone's time, and there are better ways to do things then you are a baseball snob giving some poor guys a bunch of .

Playing 9v9 or 11v11 with five year olds on a youth field with regulation goals is a waste of time and if someone politely tries to explain that to you they aren't a snob they are someone you should listen to. Unless your arrogance and ego won't allow it.

Youth games shouldn't involve more than 4v4 in an area smaller than the penalty box with small cones for goals.

I'm sorry that you wasted your time. Sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way.ay e next time you'll use the internet to do some research about sonde things you can do at the youth level instead of looking to pick a fight because you think you know someone based off one post.

Who says I wasted my time? Besides you, that is. I just ran into a kid I coached the other day. Actually not a kid, he's in his late-30's. We had a few laughs and went on our way. It was fun. Like rec sports should be.

Reaction Score
I am a realist in that I know it unlikely my boys will get a sports scholarship, much less a MLS contract when they grow-up. Thus, I want to keep my boys in just the rec program for now so that they can play soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, lacrosse (my wife refuses to let my sons play football, even if my oldest has a heck of a spiral for his age) for now. Let them have fun. When they hit 10 or if they ask, then I will let them focus on 2 sports and then 1 or 2 in high school. I want them to have fun, enjoy being on a team, and stay busy. Down the road, a scholarship would just be an extra benefit.

I have one boy on my son’s soccer team who is already playing soccer 10 months a year. I rarely see him smile or laugh on the field. I can tell his Dad drives him hard and he’s not even 8. He is very good; but, more likely than not, he will be burnt-out by high school. A kid on another team who is only 7 is so drilled to score goals he pushed his own teammates out of the way and got tossed last week for continuing to kick at the ball after the goalkeeper covered-up the initial shot. His Dad, where the issue truly lies, was furious that he was tossed; but, kicking the goalkeeper well after a save is a Red Card in any level of soccer. Now, I have to have a rec meeting with both this weekend to see what do to next. I feel bad for the kid.

Reaction Score
And to Samcro, who believes that our youth are trained to a higher technical level than the youth of England, I'll just say that I have some land in the everglades to sell you. I can tell you with great certainty, at least when it comes to a comparison with Italy, that the youth here are light-years behind. In fact, while many of our 15 and 16 year-olds are battling on high school fields, many of the elite Italians are already connected with professional teams' "junior sides". Some even with contracts that would make you say "screw college."
I didn't say I believed or didn't believe it how well coached US youth soccer was compared to England, just passed along what a Brit friend shared with me from his experience when talking about the coaching his kids are getting in the US. I am sure with your experience coaching youth soccer in both the UK and the US you would know best though.... You're also talking about 15 and 16 year olds, he was referencing 8-9-10 year olds.

Reaction Score
Waquoit, it's great that you helped out when the kids needed you. Sounds like it was you or nothing, and it's always better to have someone that's willing to devote his/her time than to have nothing at all.

But if we are all being honest about why the US, a country of over 300 million and with more resources / fields than any other country in the world, cannot compete for a World Cup, the answer is exactly what you just supplied us with. The fact that too many of our youth teams are not properly coached. It's not your fault, but it is exactly what it is.

Can I blame the US? Not really. You need professionals to train professionals, and we don't have enough supply. Also, as some have already alluded to, we don't value this as our main national sport. That means that we aren't all that concerned about whether someone's older brother is coaching or not. Those are the types of things that have to change if we really want to get serious about the World Cup...

High School Fields??? So is it safe to say you've never heard of The Developmental Academy?
http://academy.demosphere.com/Clubs/index_E.html
http://academy.demosphere.com/Clubs/index_E.html

Reaction Score
The best youth soccer in America isn't being played in the high schools. That model just won't work, the season is too short and they don't play enough.

Reaction Score
The best youth soccer in America isn't being played in the high schools. That model just won't work, the season is too short and they don't play enough.

aren't most of the high school kids on premier clubs too? At least that's how it seems in my town - so they are playing virutally year round.

Reaction Score
aren't most of the high school kids on premier clubs too? At least that's how it seems in my town - so they are playing virutally year round.

As noted before, if the club is one of the ‘official’ developmental academies, ten he (and now she) is not allowed to play High School soccer anymore.

Reaction Score
As noted before, if the club is one of the ‘official’ developmental academies, ten he (and now she) is not allowed to play High School soccer anymore.

Don't believe that to be true in CT unless it changed very, very recently. I've seen a female player play on both premier and ODP regional teams with international travel between junior and senior high school seasons? Are we talking two different things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom