OT: US women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe refuses to stand for the national anthem | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: US women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe refuses to stand for the national anthem

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Plain and simple; she has no right to be disrespectful; this is clearly written in law and practiced in the courts. For those who lived through the Flag Burning fad, I am sure that you remember the coverage; flags may be burned, but only in a respectful manner. To me, this latest "fad" is inclusive in those decisions; if someone doesn't want to stand respectfully for the anthem, don't be on the field/in the arena, but you may not be disrespectful.

As for the "protest", it is nothing but sheer nonsense. Protest where and when it is appropriate. IMO this whole thing is nothing more than a publicity stunt by an inconsequential backup player trying to get on Sportscenter.

For Ms. Rapinoe, as part of the USWNT, she is representing the USA. From that standpoint, it is my feeling that she should be removed from the team, as being disrespectful to the symbol of our country is antithetical to her being a member of the team. The coach of the Men's Hockey team got it right; you sit for the anthem, you sit for the game.

Recall a few years ago when a player from (one of the mid-Atlantic state "blue" schools if I remember correctly, but I can't remember which) decided that she would protest the war in Iraq by turning her back to the flag during the anthem. When Geno was asked about it, he made it clear that players represent their University, and therefore must display behaviors that the University embraces. He went on to say that the University of Connecticut doesn't support this type of action, therefore no player wearing a UConn uniform would do so. The connotation was loud and clear.
What's your view on the treatment of Black people in the United States... let's go all the way back to slavery tho!

Reaction Score
Megan Rapinoe dares US Soccer to do something about her
Soccer star Megan Rapinoe took a knee during the national anthem for the second straight US women’s national team match and fourth game overall on Sunday night in Atlanta — as confusion continued to swirl over how she might be discouraged or disciplined.

“Obviously there were boos tonight, boos and cheers tonight. I totally respect that,” said Rapinoe, who entered as a substitute in the 64th minute as the US beat the Netherlands, 3-1. “People feel a certain way, and I want to be respected for the way that I feel.”

The veteran midfielder stubbornly flouted the wishes of the United States Soccer Federation, which has been critical of Rapinoe’s protest, but has yet to reveal any punishment.

Megan Rapinoe dares US Soccer to do something about her | New York Post

Reaction Score
What's your view on the treatment of Black people in the United States... let's go all the way back to slavery tho!
There is no logic in your response, so I have no idea what your intentions were. I mentioned nothing regarding the color of people's skin; why do you have to bring Colorism into this discussion? The discussion is about an athlete's actions, and I opined that I feel that she is being disrespectful.

Please stay on subject, or open a new one (although I doubt the moderators would consider Colorism an appropriate subject for this board).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
There is no logic in your response, so I have no idea what your intentions were. I mentioned nothing regarding the color of people's skin; why do you have to bring Colorism into this discussion? The discussion is about an athlete's actions, and I opined that I feel that she is being disrespectful.

Please stay on subject, or open a new one (although I doubt the moderators would consider Colorism an appropriate subject for this board).
the subject is her stance, protest etc. which she seems to agree Colin and is kneeling beside him... you stay on subject and stop deflecting the "main point".

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Plain and simple; she has no right to be disrespectful; this is clearly written in law and practiced in the courts. For those who lived through the Flag Burning fad, I am sure that you remember the coverage; flags may be burned, but only in a respectful manner. To me, this latest "fad" is inclusive in those decisions; if someone doesn't want to stand respectfully for the anthem, don't be on the field/in the arena, but you may not be disrespectful.

WTH are you talking about? It is actually clearly written into law, i.e. the Constitution, that she has every right to be disrespectful, just as you have every right to be offended. Please, show me one case where someone was successfully prosecuted because the burned the desecrating the American flag or treating it "disrespectfully".

BTW, these guys did this during the National Anthem, and felt some of the same anger:

upload_2016-9-21_9-10-3.jpeg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the national anthem protests are shameless attention seeking, topped only by the attention seeking of those who are so vociferously against the national anthem protests.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The problem with protests is everyone seems to want it to be the way they want it. That is not the purpose of a protest. "Protest this way or like that so that I know when or how to successfully ignore it". Protests are meant to be uncomfortable and the form of the protest isn't up to a plurality.
Like in Charlotte last night?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice during this NFL weekend there were no TV cameras on the anthem protesters and no comments on them by the game announcers?

General Goodell put an end to it in Nazi style -

Reaction Score
Free speech is still protected in this country outside of college campuses, Megan can say whatever she likes...you can respect the right whether or not you respect the sentiment or the person expressing it for doing so. For Megan's part, if she is disrespected in return, she must respect the right, as well...there is a symmetrical logic at work here with regard to 1st Amendment rights...it doesn't just guarantee free speech...it guarantees the right to disagree and argue...OK, get back to it...

Reaction Score

As for the "protest", it is nothing but sheer nonsense. Protest where and when
it is appropriate. IMO this whole thing is nothing more than a publicity stunt by an inconsequential backup player trying to get on Sportscenter.

For Ms. Rapinoe, as part of the USWNT, she is representing the USA. From that standpoint, it is my feeling that she should be removed from the team, as being disrespectful to the symbol of our country is antithetical to her being a member of the team. The coach of the Men's Hockey team got it right; you sit for the anthem, you sit for the game.

Recall a few years ago when a player from (one of the mid-Atlantic state "blue" schools if I remember correctly, but I can't remember which) decided that she would protest the war in Iraq by turning her back to the flag during the anthem. When Geno was asked about it, he made it clear that players represent their University, and therefore must display behaviors that the University embraces. He went on to say that the University of Connecticut doesn't support this type of action, therefore no player wearing a UConn uniform would do so. The connotation was loud and clear.

Geno's policy changes as times change---The Blue School stuff was about a WAR where Americans were being killed--this one, I'm pretty sure he'd agree with is (I assume) more about American People being Killed by Police--notice I applied no race to this--Americans are Americans!! Geno supports many causes and if it is important enough--he will allow his teams to use their own
conscience. Teams of UC WBB have--in a random stance some holding their hands on their hearts --other not. Don't take what Geno gave to his team 15 years ago as his current position.
The wonderful thing is NO LAW (excep (maybe)t most of the Constitution) is exempt from change--depending on the tenure of the times--and the ability of a lawyer or group of attorneys to present the case--
As for the Flag Burning Fad---it wasn't illegal then nor is it now--Courts sided with the protestors!!
While I like Protest that are protests--I recently read --that passive protest speaks louder than shouting..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom