OT: US Tennis Open... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: US Tennis Open...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Serena's match sure has changed. Won the first set 6-0. Then immediately is broken on when she lead off the 2nd set serving. Trails 4-2 in 2nd set and can't seem to gain any momentum.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But seriously, she is playing so well, it is her tournament to lose. Right now dusting Konepi 4-0 in set 1 with 2 breaks and not even a hint of challenge on her serve.

I continue to be the worst forecaster. Konepi takes set 2 6-4. I will not guess what happens in set 3. :oops:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I thought Serena was going to tie the 2nd set when she was up 40-15. However Konepi made some great serves to tie the game and then went on to win the set. Serena has to hold serve on this first game in the 3rd set. Can't afford to get behind right away. Konepi has the momentum and Serena's seems to be having problems handling the pressure. Koepi has nothing to lose.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Serena wins the 3rd set 6-3. I do think we have seen the end of Williams sisters dominance in Women's Tennis. Venus probably should have retired a couple of years ago as she probably won't win another major. Serena may win a couple of more majors. However don't think she will get back to being the favorite in all 4 majors again.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena wins the 3rd set 6-3. I do think we have seen the end of Williams sisters .dominance in Women's Tennis. Venus probably should have retired a couple of years ago as she probably won't win another major. Serena may win a couple of more majors. However don't think she will get back to being the favorite in all 4 majors again.

Yes, I write as a big Venus fan. That said, I find you too dismissive. If you retire her a couple of years ago, she then in 2017 can't make the Australian final, the Wimbledon final, nor the year end championships final. Would not just about any player be thrilled with that.
She's on record that she stays in the game simply because she still loves the game, stays in shape, and remains competitive. Yes, little sister just throttled her, but Serena can do that to anyone. I don't see that she embarrasses herself on court, and generally those in the stands support her and some are in awe of this 38 year old.
I for one am glad she did not take your advice.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think of the Williams sisters the way I think about UConn. From the mid nineties through the past two seasons they dominated women's tennis doing their own thing their way, with power and a greater athleticism than the other players. Therefore, other players had to adjust their games. Many players were intimidated by them, but no longer. Also, a number of present players are just as talented. In WBB, UConn has dominated in the same manner. However, more teams have started adjusting and are starting to get the kind of players who are just as talented and who are not intimidated by UConn. What has not caught up to UConn's level is the coaching, with few exceptions.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think of the Williams sisters the way I think about UConn. From the mid nineties through the past two seasons they dominated women's tennis doing their own thing their way, with power and a greater athleticism than the other players. Therefore, other players had to adjust their games. Many players were intimidated by them, but no longer. Also, a number of present players are just as talented. In WBB, UConn has dominated in the same manner. However, more teams have started adjusting and are starting to get the kind of players who are just as talented and who are not intimidated by UConn. What has not caught up to UConn's level is the coaching, with few exceptions.

The only reason the Women's Tennis Players of today are not intimidated by the Williams sisters (and I guess I mean Serena really), is that she is not as good as she was in her prime and she can be beaten even if she is playing reasonably well. You can not convince me that her movement is significant;y less than it was early in her career. In her prime, the combination of physical power, good speed, sublime serve and competitive spirit was unmatched. The players of today's generation may have some of her gifts but not all 4 but that does not mean, a player cannot aspire to reach that level of greatness. There is no apriori reason it can't happen again and you would not have the situation of today where no player can win more than 1 grand slam and the second they have some success, they regress. Chris Evert was making this point very clearly in the Serena match and I agree.
There always seemed to be a true generational player from Evert, Navratalova, Seles, Graf, and S. Williams but no one else has revealed themselves yet.

On the other hand, I agree with the UConn assessment that the playing field is much more even than ever with multiple teams able to win a Championship in any year because multiple programs have gotten as good as UConn has been and that is here to stay

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I maybe the only one.... but I'm rooting to see a Serena/Stephens Keys/Osaka semi-finals. That collectively would be one of the powerful ball-striking final 4 in US women's history.

Last week read an article about Osaka in the New York Times...... its a fascinating read if you have a few minutes Naomi Osaka’s Breakthrough Game

Reaction Score
I maybe the only one.... but I'm rooting to see a Serena/Stephens Keys/Osaka semi-finals. That collectively would be one of the powerful ball-striking final 4 in US women's history.

Last week read an article about Osaka in the New York Times. its a fascinating read if you have a few minutes Naomi Osaka’s Breakthrough Game

You are not the only one.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You are not the only one.

Beat me to it. I saw the interview with Osaka after her match in Studio. She is a bit shy but very appreciative. I hope she has staying power.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We awake this am with news of Roger's demise at midnight. John Millman had never beat a top 20 player, but now that's history. Apparently handling the NY heat and humidity was too much and resulted in uncharacteristic double faults and unforced errors.

Double faults, as well as her weak running side to side, doomed Maria S last night. Carla Suarez Navarro was steady, in contrast.

Our John Isner is still in play, as he meets del Potro at 1:30. Nadal at night.

Our Sloane at noon; Li'l Sis vs. Pliskova at 7

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Millman in 4 set tiebreaker upset of Federer. I have never seen Roger play so poorly in the important points of a match. I like that Millman kept a level head and did not do a crazy celebration which seems to be the norm now.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Venus probably should have retired a couple of years ago as she probably won't win another major.

Venus made the finals of the 2017 Australian Open, the finals of 2017 Wimbledon, and the finals of 2017 WTA Tour Finals, plus the semifinals of the 2017 US Open. 2017 was only last year.

If the viability of winning majors is the only reason to stay on tour, over 50 percent of the tour should quit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens looking very listless and defeated imho. Sloane had 7 break points on Sevastrova in first few service games and could not convert any.
Loses set 1 6-2. Sevastrova likes to do alot of off speed stuff

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ugh... Stephens should have drunk more chocolate milk :oops:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sloane gone in 2, apparently another heat casualty. Isner/del Potro now taking the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serena off to a slow start against Pliskova. Missing alot of easy shots. Down a break 3-2.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
'Serena's service game was dynamite. Into the semis's and if she can play like today, she will get #24

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Naomi Osaka wins 6-1 6-1. Tsurenko was clearly drained and could not put up any fight. Adorable interview after game.

What is she most proud of? " Not breaking her racket". :)

When asked about the heat, she said in a sheepish way that she did not think it was that hot. She likes to sweat and she is used to Florida heat. :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serena of to a slow start. Telegraphing all her shots. Down a break 2-0 in set 1.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Serena of to a slow start. Telegraphing all her shots. Down a break 2-0 in set 1.
Not for long!! If I had to guess, I'd say it sometimes takes Serena some time to get the measure of an opponent. Some are power hitters, some like to change it up, some are in between. Kanepi and Pliskova are far different players from Sevastova...

I think after being down 3-2, Serena won 10 in a row 6-3, 6-0. Now go Madison!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not for long!! If I had to guess, I'd say it sometimes takes Serena some time to get the measure of an opponent. Some are power hitters, some like to change it up, some are in between. Kanepi and Pliskova are far different players from Sevastova...

I think after being down 3-2, Serena won 10 in a row 6-3, 6-0. Now go Madison!!

Very impressive turnaround. Must be considered a heavy favorite.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Osaka / Keys matchup is a lot of fun. Good clean powerful hitting on both sides

Edit #1 That turned quickly. Osaka up 5-2 with 2 breaks. Her return of Madison's serve is excellent and she is now so frustrated, she is beginning to make a lot of errors.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom