OT: US Tennis Open... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: US Tennis Open...

Reaction Score
Osaka deserves the win she played much better but if you think Serena is singled out you are sadly mistaken. How many drug tests does she have to take the French open chenging the dress code. If you don’t think the red had a quick hook the men overall are much more obscene and vulgar and don’t get penalized

? I never said nor do I think Serena was singled out. I just think all the talk is gonna be about Serena (which pisses me off). I thought I was pretty clear about that...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
? I never said nor do I think Serena was singled out. I just think all the talk is gonna be about Serena (which pisses me off). I thought I was pretty clear about that...

I think the most Pro Serena conversations will go like

" The ref really over reacted and should not have let it get to that level (blah blah blah) but Osaka clearly deserved to win, she was the better player and showed remarkable composure"

We know what the less than Pro Serena conversations will sound like. ;)

Reaction Score
Serena probably play the female discrimination card since they said ref does mostly men’s matches and men say a lot worse plus the player that changed her shirt on court but yet men do it all the time

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One other point should be made. By all accounts, the match ref was among the most highly respected (and will retire at end of year). You only have the best of the best working a US Open final

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dag... take a short nap ... and wake up all heck broke lose :eek: Wanted Serena to win...... but if she lost to anyone... I wanted it to be Osaka. Hopefully she wont be a one hit wonder......... (I highly doubt it though... she has the game to be the top player for years to come) . Unfortunate though it had to happen under these circumstances Head bang

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
money.gif

Osaka's endorsements are gonna shoot through the roof now :)

Reaction Score
I think the most Pro Serena conversations will go like

" The ref really over reacted and should not have let it get to that level (blah blah blah) but Osaka clearly deserved to win, she was the better player and showed remarkable composure"

We know what the less than Pro Serena conversations will sound like. ;)
No tell us what the less than pro Serena conversation will sound like

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
For a women her size Osaka hasa scorching first serve!!! Also an excellent all-around game. She earned the win. Too bad about the game penalty, but rules are rules, and no one is above the law.

Reaction Score
For a women her size Osaka hasa scorching first serve!!! Also an excellent all-around game. She earned the win. Too bad about the game penalty, but rules are rules, and no one is above the law.

Osaka is 5"11", a full two inches taller than Ms Williams.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
First of all, Serena deserved the first code violation because her coach clearly signaled. It matters not one wit whether Serena saw the signal or not. The rule is clear and called far more often than many casual fans realize. The difference is that most matches where it's called have no further code violations so it never becomes an issue. For example, Nadal's coaches are cited quite often on the men's tour and Shapavalov's coach was cited during this very US Open.
Secondly, smashing a racquet is absolutely a code violation and gets called every time it occurs, no exceptions.
Thirdly, Serena clearly was verbally abusing the chair umpire and deserved the 3rd code violation. A player of her experience should have known better and my suspicion is that she felt the chair umpire would just take it because of who she is and the situation. Good for him.
Lastly, a brief story related to Serena's whining that she didn't cheat and would rather lose than do so. A few years ago she was playing Vika Azarenka, who reportedly is Serena's good friend off the court. Azarenka hit a drop shot and Serena raced to the net and did hit a winner, but in the process, before the ball had bounced twice on the other side of the net, clearly contacted the net with her foot. That should have been immediate loss of point and Azarenka who had seen it, looked to the chair umpire for a call. Unfortunately, the chair umpire claimed to not have seen it. The video replay showed quite clearly that by Serena's reaction. she knew she had contacted the net, but she adamantly argued she hadn't. The point went to Serena as called, but it was incredibly unsportsmanlike and definitely cheating.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those worried about Osaka's accomplishment being overshadowed by Serena's outburst, here is a screen capture of the ESPN report, I think it is a fair representation of the facts including the fact that Osaka outplayed Serena. I do think their will be enough blowhard talking heads on Monday who will push an agenda of victimization but it will ring very hollow when people see how Osaka played that final game.

I do hope Osaka will follow this Championship with other great results.

upload_2018-9-9_3-2-29.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
First of all, Serena deserved the first code violation because her coach clearly signaled. It matters not one wit whether Serena saw the signal or not. The rule is clear and called far more often than many casual fans realize. The difference is that most matches where it's called have no further code violations so it never becomes an issue. For example, Nadal's coaches are cited quite often on the men's tour and Shapavalov's coach was cited during this very US Open.
Secondly, smashing a racquet is absolutely a code violation and gets called every time it occurs, no exceptions.
Thirdly, Serena clearly was verbally abusing the chair umpire and deserved the 3rd code violation. A player of her experience should have known better and my suspicion is that she felt the chair umpire would just take it because of who she is and the situation. Good for him.
Lastly, a brief story related to Serena's whining that she didn't cheat and would rather lose than do so. A few years ago she was playing Vika Azarenka, who reportedly is Serena's good friend off the court. Azarenka hit a drop shot and Serena raced to the net and did hit a winner, but in the process, before the ball had bounced twice on the other side of the net, clearly contacted the net with her foot. That should have been immediate loss of point and Azarenka who had seen it, looked to the chair umpire for a call. Unfortunately, the chair umpire claimed to not have seen it. The video replay showed quite clearly that by Serena's reaction. she knew she had contacted the net, but she adamantly argued she hadn't. The point went to Serena as called, but it was incredibly unsportsmanlike and definitely cheating.
Did you say the same things about McEnroe or Nastase?

Reaction Score

Please help me out here because a lot of different combinations of words have not been successful in my quest to find documentation or video regarding the net incident mentioned here. Do you remember the event, the year, anything that might help me? Thanx

toadfoot

Reaction Score
Please help me out here because a lot of different combinations of words have not been successful in my quest to find documentation or video regarding the net incident mentioned here. Do you remember the event, the year, anything that might help me? Thanx

No, sorry I don't recall. What I can tell you is that I was watching the match when it occurred. The only video I could find was a match between Williams and Azarenka at the 2015 French Open.

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2015/May/After-Tough-Loss-to-Serena-Williams,-Azarenka-Make.aspx

In this instance Azarenka's shot was called out well after Williams had hit her shot, which she netted. The out call on Azarenka's shot was reversed, and because the original call came well after Williams shot, the point should have gone to Azarenka. Unfortunately, the umpire, Kader Nouni incorrectly sided with Williams contention that the out call came prior to Williams shot. This certainly wasn't blatant unsportsmanlike conduct by Williams, but she had to know that her stroke was well completed before what was a very late out call.
I play an average of 5 days/week, nearly 365 days/year and I can tell you that Williams had to realize the out call came well after her shot. The fact that it was a crucial point in the set makes it even more unsporting.

Reaction Score
Serena seems to constantly challenge the rules of tennis, either with the dress code, or saying some really bad things to the umpires. Then she tells the world she is being persecuted.

Serena focused all of the attention on herself. It is an absolute shame that Naomi Osaka was humiliated by Serena.

I believe Serena believes she is bigger than tennis, and that some of the powers that be in the tennis world, and in the media, agree with her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's absurd to compare the McEnroe or Nastase eras with today. Under today's code of conduct both would have been defaulted, fined and even suspended for some of their antics and rightfully so.
It should not have been allowed then.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
It should not have been allowed then.

Not sure what you mean by "it". If you mean the behavior of certain players in earlier eras, you're right, but remember that professional tennis was in its relative infancy. The "open era" didn't begin until around 1968 and the ATP didn't take shape until the mid 70's. The same is true of the WTA. I suspect that the professional organizations probably were more tolerant of Nastase and other players because it brought attention to the sport.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how Serena took away from Osaka if you think you were wronged in anyway for any reason would you not stand up for yourself.

Reaction Score

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don’t see how Serena took away from Osaka if you think you were wronged in anyway for any reason would you not stand up for yourself.

Her option was to appeal to the tournament referee. She did, and was told the warning stands, and to continue play.

There are rules in place that she agreed to when she entered the tournament. She has a history of on court behavior, so this is nothing new. My guess is she'll be suspended.

Earley end to U.S. Open after 39 years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom